CAGcast #311: Down Down

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

The gang discusses the THQ auction, the latest Nintendo announcements, Ni no Kuni, EDF 2017 Vita, racism in Far Cry 3, and more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

This episode is sponsored by Ting
http://cdnroot.cheap...pictureid=29286

Download (1 hour 20 minutes) - Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: 311 Down - Yuck Mouth

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Edited by CheapyD, 24 January 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#2 striker199

striker199

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sweet, perfect for the drive tomorrow

#3 trent82

trent82

Master Of Unlocking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

This episode is all mixed up.
3DS Friend Code :: 5112-3434-8624

#4 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Cool was waiting for the new CAGcast so I can listen while I'm working.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#5 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Rip thq
Posted Image

#6 Vangerdahast

Vangerdahast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Saw the new podcast & you made my day! T-2 minutes & counting.

#7 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Sad to see THQ go. I'll have great memories of many of their Nickelodeon games like SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom on the GameCube.

Great show as always guys!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#8 visorman30

visorman30

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Do we perhaps put too much stock in the launch of a console? Console cycles are often described as marathons rather than sprints and to place much emphasis on the first 6-12 months of a console I believe seems to lead to inappropriate conclusions about that console's fate. Here are a few examples:

PS3 - horrible launch, games weren't there, prices were high etc. Worldwide on par with X-box for total sold.

Nintendo DS - terrible launch as well perhaps one of the greatest consoles released (imo) but it definitely has sold a lot.

X-box 360 - I think there are some launch goggles for this one because I think people forget there really wasn't many games at launch (Geometry wars and PGR) and the hardware had red ring for years. By all accounts the 360 was a highly successful product and I think paved the way for Microsoft to start building hardware themselves (Surface).

It goes on and on. (PSP, PS Vita, PS2 and Dreamcast)

I have some serious concerns for the next X-box for a few reasons.

#1: Exclusive content on their platform is becoming scarce. As much as Nintendo rehashes stuff, Microsoft is more guilty of it because they only have a very small handful of IP that they call their own. How many more Halo games can the market take? A bunch, but is that enough to sustain a platform given Steam and its incursion into the living room.

#2: X-box Live is overpriced. One of the greatest strengths is really being undercut by Sony/Valve with respect to the actual savings PSN+/Steam users are getting for the same game.

#3: Hardware hesitation. Just like there is now a rule of thumb in the internet to not buy the first gen of Nintendo products (GBA, DS, etc.) and Apple products because of inevitable iteration and significant improvement, the next X-box could be chilled by the fact that owners of X-boxes that have red ringed may have less enthusiasm until the hardware proves itself.

Honestly, I have serious doubts that the dedicated gaming console market is viable beyond 3 major players.

#9 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Count me as one of the three that liked your Sesame Street reference, Wombat.

Also, though I'm only part way through the CAGcast at this point, but how many times does Cheapy make a comment after Shipwreck just said the same thing? I heard two, but it sounded like Cheapy was "preoccupied" and not following the conversation.

Great show as always!

#10 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

People looking into Far Cry 3 as being racist are looking too much into it. I'm Asian and I didn't find it racist at all. So it's a white guy who happened to be on an Asian island so of course you're killing Asian dudes. You kill white people too but people seem to forget that. Let's not forget that people said RE5 was racist cuz you're a white guy killing black people in AFRICA. But they forgot your partner is a black woman for some reason. I'm with Cheapy on this issue. It's not racist.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#11 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

X-box 360 - I think there are some launch goggles for this one because I think people forget there really wasn't many games at launch (Geometry wars and PGR) and the hardware had red ring for years. By all accounts the 360 was a highly successful product and I think paved the way for Microsoft to start building hardware themselves (Surface).

Okay, all my responses are going to come off as if I'm an Xbox fanboy here, but this is how I honestly see the situation. The first year of the 360 was loaded with games. Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Hit Man: Blood Money, Dead or Alive 4, Burnout Revenge, GRAW, Dead Rising, Condemned, Saints Row, F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Gears of War. There was never a lack of games for the console.

It goes on and on. (PSP, PS Vita, PS2 and Dreamcast)

Dreamcast and PSP actually had very strong first year lineups.

I have some serious concerns for the next X-box for a few reasons.

#1: Exclusive content on their platform is becoming scarce. As much as Nintendo rehashes stuff, Microsoft is more guilty of it because they only have a very small handful of IP that they call their own. How many more Halo games can the market take? A bunch, but is that enough to sustain a platform given Steam and its incursion into the living room.

Halo is huge. Having a small stable of really proven IPs has been a winning formula for Microsoft.

Steam has an unbelievably minimal impact on Halo's future.

#2: X-box Live is overpriced. One of the greatest strengths is really being undercut by Sony/Valve with respect to the actual savings PSN+/Steam users are getting for the same game.

I don't think Xbox Live is overpriced. Do I like paying for it? Nope. But, look at their subscriber base and people voting with their wallet think the service is worth it.

#3: Hardware hesitation. Just like there is now a rule of thumb in the internet to not buy the first gen of Nintendo products (GBA, DS, etc.) and Apple products because of inevitable iteration and significant improvement, the next X-box could be chilled by the fact that owners of X-boxes that have red ringed may have less enthusiasm until the hardware proves itself.

I don't think the Red Ring will have much effect on the next Xbox's sales at all. Microsoft replaced everyone's consoles and the models they've been selling for the past 5 years haven't had a bad failure rate. The majority of 360 owners at this point likely don't even know there was an issue.

Honestly, I have serious doubts that the dedicated gaming console market is viable beyond 3 major players.

I agree, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#12 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Okay, all my responses are going to come off as if I'm an Xbox fanboy here, but this is how I honestly see the situation. The first year of the 360 was loaded with games. Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Hit Man: Blood Money, Dead or Alive 4, Burnout Revenge, GRAW, Dead Rising, Condemned, Saints Row, F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Gears of War. There was never a lack of games for the console.

How many of those games were 360 exclusives (besides Gears)? I can't remember and I'm curious. As the only next gen system out that year, I wonder how much the 360 benefited from straddling generations, getting better versions of games that were being made to satisfy a huge PS2 install base. It didn't hurt, either, that 360 development/porting was a breeze compared to PS3 for a loooong time.

Given that both the next Xbox and PS4 are (supposedly) going to be built from more standard PC parts, I don't expect that kind of multiplatform disparity. I see the Xbox getting a carryover bump from current gen perceptions, but unless they put a lot of money into exclusive content, the playing field for Microsoft and Sony should be more even this time around.

Can't wait to see what Xbox Live and PS Plus look like in 18 months.

#13 shafnitz

shafnitz

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Cheapy cries from a game every few weeks, but when Wombat says a game makes him uncomfortable, Cheapy says "it's just a game." :)

Shafnitz.png

#14 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Just as some reference for everyone about the Defiance discussion, here's the Defiance YouTube channel. Videos about the show, the game, and how they'll tie in to each other.

The Red Faction Syfy movie was just a prequel to the game. Defiance is planning that what goes on in the show will be reflected in the game and in some small ways what gamers do will show up in the show. I dismissed it at first too but the show previews look good. Real good. My biggest question is the game, which kind of looks like Borderlands but I wonder how it'll play.

Edited by banodyne, 24 January 2013 - 05:06 PM.
grammar

#15 Lightning War

Lightning War

Baller on a Budget

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Good job belittling me for saying Shipwreck twice instead of acknowledging the show wasn't that great without him. It's not even that he wasn't there. It's the fact that the ratio of Wombat to interesting/competent hosts was off.

#16 Vangerdahast

Vangerdahast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Rescue Rangers beats Duck Tales & Talespin. Besides Donald's quack attack, I know he wasn't on Duck Tales, Monterey Jack's mustache-twist & addict-like trance kept the fans in their seats! Lol, seriously though, play the song so I can sing it w/my morning coffee.

#17 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Good job belittling me for saying Shipwreck twice instead of acknowledging the show wasn't that great without him. It's not even that he wasn't there. It's the fact that the ratio of Wombat to interesting/competent hosts was off.

You deserved that and more for acting like the show shouldn't happen if Shipwreck can't be there. Cheapy/Wombat shows were fine in the past, and they are still fine now. If you can't stand CAGcasts without Shipwreck on them then don't fucking listen to them.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#18 deathmothon

deathmothon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

You deserved that and more for acting like the show shouldn't happen if Shipwreck can't be there. Cheapy/Wombat shows were fine in the past, and they are still fine now. If you can't stand CAGcasts without Shipwreck on them then don't fucking listen to them.

But now Cheapy and Wombat aren't gamers, they're parents. It's wierd having a game podcast where only 1/3 of the hosts actually play very many games. It's kinda terrible having one with no gaming hosts.

#19 Lightning War

Lightning War

Baller on a Budget

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

But now Cheapy and Wombat aren't gamers, they're parents. It's wierd having a game podcast where only 1/3 of the hosts actually play very many games. It's kinda terrible having one with no gaming hosts.

Exactly. Wombat and Cheapy always seem to get off track without Shipwreck to remind them it's a video game podcast. I don't mind listening to other stuff but the quality definitely drops without Shipwreck.

#20 Vangerdahast

Vangerdahast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I completely disagree, but I am a father who plays games w/ his 3 kids who are under the age of 6 so maybe I am a little biased when I say that the perspectives of Cheapy & Wombat have more interesting layers & have a broader range when considering which games to play &/or talk about. I played Condemned in a creepy basement alone in the dark as well as danced w/ my kids in Nickelodeon Dance. I try & weigh the merits of potential purchases for games in all genres more frequently & more selective due to less personal gaming time. Maybe you need a more concentrated array of multiple games but I listen to the podcast because of the natural flow of the stream rather than a manufactured reservoir of nodes filled w/ demands & absolute expectations. By no means am I comparing Shipwreck's value, because I am new to the podcast & today's was good; however, I do appreciate the contributions of CheapyD & Wombat w/ or w/out. Just my opinion man.

#21 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

How many of those games were 360 exclusives (besides Gears)?

Believe it or not, almost all of them. Splinter Cell was the only one that came out the same day for PS3.

Oblivion and FEAR made it to PS3 but a year after the 360.

Every other game in Shipwreck's very long list never came to PS3.

Personally I think MS will have a greater focus on 1st party/3rd party exclusive games at the start of the launch cycle. They had a strong focus on them for the 360's launch.

Hopefully they are not all Kinect 2.0 focused games.

Guess we'll find out in the next 4 months or so.
"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#22 maxiell

maxiell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Enjoyed this episode as always. Are you guys going to talk what you want from next gen at some point in next month or so?

Also I would love impressions of the demos of new titles that are slowly coming out, e.g. Metal Gear, Dead Space 3, God of War Ascension....

#23 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Just hit the part in the 'cast where the racism/FC3 topic came up.

Isn't this pretty much the same thing that was rehashed when Resident Evil 5 came out?

What are the devs supposed to do, replace the natives with white people? Wouldn't the same people getting upset over shooting the natives also get upset if they weren't given any representation in the game?
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#24 ShinAkumA21

ShinAkumA21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

CheapyD is so Narcissistic ... Wombat says he thinks part of the game is kinda of racist and CheapyD says don't worry it won't effect how i feel about you :roll:

#25 eggface123

eggface123

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

WRONG! (about Nintendo) You fellows have been drinking too much of the brown liquors with Micheal Pachter.

PS love the show!:applause:

#26 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Believe it or not, almost all of them. Splinter Cell was the only one that came out the same day for PS3.

Oblivion and FEAR made it to PS3 but a year after the 360.

Every other game in Shipwreck's very long list never came to PS3.

The answer probably doesn't change, but when I said "exclusive" I meant not on the PS2 (or PC, I guess). I just wonder how much of the 360's early success was a factor of it being the next big system, how much was its PC-compatible architecture, and how much was it riding the coattails of development for games also being made for the PS2.

NONE of which takes away from the things Microsoft did right at the start of this gen.

#27 Dani8l

Dani8l

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

@CheapyD You said a while back there was going to be a new CAG Website design any news on that?

#28 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

The answer probably doesn't change, but when I said "exclusive" I meant not on the PS2 (or PC, I guess). I just wonder how much of the 360's early success was a factor of it being the next big system, how much was its PC-compatible architecture, and how much was it riding the coattails of development for games also being made for the PS2.

NONE of which takes away from the things Microsoft did right at the start of this gen.

Getting a year headstart was HUGE for the 360.

Having PS4/720 coming out around the same time (an assumption, but most people believe it to be true), means both companies having to focus more on exclusive games to try to force a decision for people that can't afford both systems.

MS did have a bigger focus on exclusives the first year or two. Most of them didn't stick though. Kameo, Perfect Dark, Too Human...they also had quite a few during the life cycle of the OG xbox.
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#29 Monsta Mack

Monsta Mack

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

The thing with the 360 launch is it was there first. It was the first "next gen" system out there, and the games looked pretty good at the time. Yes a lot of the games were on PC, but getting Oblivion, Fear and GRAW on the 360 was a blessing. If Sony can proove that this time around ports are easy and they have the same audience then less and less games will be console exclusives. MS is most likely going to invest in Kinect only titles and the few first party titles they have.

IMHO I rather have Gears, Halo, Forza and a few highly accaimed exclusives over a dozen so-so exclusive title or nothing at all. I think what MS will fail to do is get anyone who is a primary PC player to buy a 360 since so many games will be on the PC anyways. But looking at exclusive lists the PC always wins.

For the love of God please do not call the Wii U next gen either ;) Not when graphics are just on par with the 360.

#30 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

CheapyD is so Narcissistic ... Wombat says he thinks part of the game is kinda of racist and CheapyD says don't worry it won't effect how i feel about you :roll:

That bit gave me a good laugh.

The Nintendo announcements were pretty good if you're interested in JRPGs. I'm not surprised most of you seemed indifferent to the SMT x Fire Emblem and Xenoblade successor.