CAGcast #311: Down Down

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 ZombieHendrix

ZombieHendrix

Sorry, I lurk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

I feel like saying that the sparse (and terrible) story in Far Cry 3 is it's strength only applies to it's potential for mass appeal. Having a story that's not annoying enough to stop you from playing only means that it wasn't good enough to keep you playing and only the sandbox world is the fun bit. I love good game play, but solid mechanics alone aren't enough to keep me coming back to these titles. I'd rather have an interesting story to come back to and enjoy time and again instead of exploring a virtual lab experimenting in chaos (albeit fun).
Posted Image

#32 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Okay, all my responses are going to come off as if I'm an Xbox fanboy here, but this is how I honestly see the situation. The first year of the 360 was loaded with games. Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Hit Man: Blood Money, Dead or Alive 4, Burnout Revenge, GRAW, Dead Rising, Condemned, Saints Row, F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Gears of War. There was never a lack of games for the console.

Good call, you are.

Listing Splinter Cell: Double Agent indicates how much you are reaching to defend the 360. What, did you forget GUN?

The Cagcast is officially useless for to the multi-console owning OPEN MINDED gamer.

#33 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Good call, you are.

Listing Splinter Cell: Double Agent indicates how much you are reaching to defend the 360. What, did you forget GUN?

The Cagcast is officially useless for to the multi-console owning OPEN MINDED gamer.

You can remove Splinter Cell if you don't like it. Makes no difference to me. The list is strong. I could have thought of more if I wasn't busy talking about and playing Ni no Kuni and Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#34 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Tale Spin is great, much more easygoing vibe than Duck Tales. It is a solid #2 behind Duck Tales for me from that Disney cartoon era. Both shows hold up well to rewatching as an adult, Tale Spin slightly more so.

"Uncomfortable in hindsight" would be code for someone putting in idea in your head that may (or may not) actually be a thing. If it actually was a problem, you would of felt it in the course of playing the game instead of afteward. Like those artsy people who see the craziest, far-fetched, parallels in certain films. Would you have felt better about murdering scores of Asian people if your character were Asian? Why is that?? This circles back to that whole Resident Evil 5 controversy nonsense. You are a white guy killing black zombies not because you are racist, but because you're in Africa where there are typically a lot of individuals of African descent. Similarly, if you crash land on an island in SOUTHEAST ASIA you are probably going to be killing a lot of Asian people.

Also if you were a resident of the island instead of a crash survivor (per your suggestion) you would have a well established base of operations, supplies, a support structure, and know the layout of the island backwards and forwards which would hamper the feeling of exploration.

I also assume Defiance will be terrible, it's SyFy, they haven't made a show I enjoy in years; and typically whenever games, films, or television shows try to mash-up, one or all aspects of it are terrible.

Guardian_owl.png

#35 trent82

trent82

Master Of Unlocking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Okay, all my responses are going to come off as if I'm an Xbox fanboy here, but this is how I honestly see the situation. The first year of the 360 was loaded with games. Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Hit Man: Blood Money, Dead or Alive 4, Burnout Revenge, GRAW, Dead Rising, Condemned, Saints Row, F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Gears of War. There was never a lack of games for the console.

I think you could actually add a little to that list. I really enjoyed Kameo and Tomb Raider Legend, and I know people will roll their eyes, but Perfect Dark Zero was something you could have had a lot of fun with if you could get past the initial horrible first impression. And then you factor in the rest of XBLA...I mean, EVERYONE was playing a little Uno that summer.

How many of those games were 360 exclusives (besides Gears)?

A lot were, but I really don't think this matters. When there was only one HD system, the available SD options were completely irrelevant to me.

Believe it or not, almost all of them. Splinter Cell was the only one that came out the same day for PS3.

Splinter Cell came out in October 2006 on 360 and the PS3 didn't launch until November, so this can't be right.

Splinter Cell Double Agent wasn't the best in the series but it was still a good game. I remember enjoying the mix of standard levels and the terrorist hideout sequences. And crapping on Gun? It was just a slightly touched up PS2 game, but a lot of people really liked that game.

I wouldn't say useless, but it definitely does feel like certain platforms have been written off. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that Cheapy bought a 3DS at launch and played a few minutes of Nintendogs and then never bothered with the console ever again.
3DS Friend Code :: 5112-3434-8624

#36 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Splinter Cell came out in October 2006 on 360 and the PS3 didn't launch until November, so this can't be right.

I only checked Ship's list of games against Wikipedia in my previous post. It says they were the same date. I was as surprised as you.
"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#37 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

I think you could actually add a little to that list. I really enjoyed Kameo and Tomb Raider Legend, and I know people will roll their eyes, but Perfect Dark Zero was something you could have had a lot of fun with if you could get past the initial horrible first impression.

Oh man, Perfect Dark Zero! I had a TON of fun with that game. Forgot all about it. I tried to go back and play it a year or two ago and I don't know how I managed to play it. It was great at the time though.

Another great show, guys. Started the laughter early at the 'down down' comments.

#38 Bretts31344

Bretts31344

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Exactly. Wombat and Cheapy always seem to get off track without Shipwreck to remind them it's a video game podcast. I don't mind listening to other stuff but the quality definitely drops without Shipwreck.

I enjoy the non-gaming parts as much as the gaming talk. It's the same reason I love the Bombcast also. If I want gaming details, there's plenty of sites and info to access elsewhere. Wombat and CheapyD both contribute unique info, while Shipwreck definitely leads in the gaming department.

#39 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

Wombat, you are a true video game connoisseur.

vpnz.png2h50m13.gif2eb67tj.jpgn5qy6u.gif

#TrueGamer

#40 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Jon Snow

#41 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for the mention! Beggars can't be choosers, but I pronounce my handle "E-N-oid"

---

Launch lineups are always rough. Companies don't want to finalize hardware 2 years before the launch because it will be too outdated at launch. And studios need at least 2 years to put together quality titles, especially on a new platform.

You have to respect Nintendo for putting quality over planned release dates like the launch window. Protecting their franchises could be their downfall- or is it their strength in the long term?

---

Lest we forget, when a company buys a studio and property (license) from the THQ crash and burn, they are also buying the liabilities of that studio. That is, rent, salaries and benefits. A good studio purchase will be to cull talent as well as the license.

---

Great show! It was a fine show without Shipwreck (CAGcast retro), but it's great to have the voice of reason return!
Posted Image

#42 Jruth

Jruth

No trite shit crew gamer bro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

I strongly dislike fake manufactured outrage. So suddenly all it takes is one article, one article from some schmuck about rasism in Fry Cry and people suddenly get outraged at other people's behest because in some fucked up universe it could possibly be construed as racist. What an over sensitized culture this is.

Great show though.

Edited by cfootball1, 25 January 2013 - 07:10 AM.

Haven't you figured it out yet fanboys? Your mommy can't afford both consoles! Be grateful with what you got and shut the Fuck up.

- starving African bro

#43 BloodTsunami

BloodTsunami

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Change a lot, and then some, some.

#44 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Cheapy was on his humor game this episode. Dropping the Human Centipede reference was just do damn funny
122445.png

#45 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Show Notes

2:45 Show feedback
10:30 Ship's most anticipated game of 2013: Tomb Raider
13:00 Watch This: Searching for Sugarman
16:00 Superman vs The Elite
16:45 New Releases
16:45 Ni No Kun:Wrath of the White Witch
20:45 The Cave
22:15 Deer Drive Legends
23:00 Strike Suit Zero
23:30 Another Naughty Bear game
24:15 PSN sale
28:45 THQ auction
39:45 Atari bankruptcy
42:30 Farcry 3 / racism
48:00 NHL Gamecenter (360)
51:30 Earth Defense Force (vita)
54:30 Nintedo Direct streaming conference, HD remake extravaganza
1:07:30 Cagbag
1:07:30 Game price increases?
1:08:15 Dead Space 3 microtransactions
1:12:45 Neo Geo X production stopped
1:14:00 Gamefly impressions & Ship's awol reviews
1:17:30 Defiance

The WiiU price drop predictions need to be added to the Top Analyst predictions

Wombat is spot-on about Shin Megami, its a game with a solid fanbase & will be highly anticipated by many.

#46 Bluesilo

Bluesilo

Movie/Game Reviewer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Originally I didn't care for Shipwreck on the show, but after a week without him, its great to have him back.

I think you guys should look into some freelancers for reviews coverage. ;);) I guess it depends on how much traffic it really gives you though.

Can we assume Shipwreck's review of Ni No Kuni will be significantly better than the Polygon score?

#47 greydt

greydt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Best out-of-context quotable for the podcast:

"I like young boys" - Cheapyd

#48 burbs1989

burbs1989

Pardon my glove......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Just sever that leash and release.

#49 2Shea

2Shea

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

I don't feel like the cast suffered last week without Shipwreck. Don't get me wrong, I think Ship is a great addition to the cast, but it was kind of a nice/nostalgic change last week.

I had to go on a 2 hour drive earlier in the week (taking my dog for surgery), and it made the drive much more enjoyable and relaxing than it would have been otherwise.

Thanks for always being awesome.

2Shea.me (Personal Blog) - AllFiction (Anime/Manga/Etc. Website) - Steam (Steam Community Profile)

#50 ILikePopCans

ILikePopCans

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

I found it funny that everyone assume the combat in The Last Of Us is about killing thousands of zombies when everything they have shown of the gameplay is combat against other humans.

#51 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

I don't normally agree with Cheapy when it comes to Nintendo, but I think his observation that the Wii-U is in beta right now is spot-on. I thought the Nintendo Direct announcements were great and once those Zelda and Mario games come out, the Wii-U is going to be a sustainable system. But those people that buy the Wii-U for Zelda or Mario HD are going to get a system with a great franchise game, faster OS, and updated features (like the Virtual Console). People who have the system right now don't have any of that, so I would consider my time with the system right now absolutely the "beta" period.

I can understand Nintendo wanting to save its big guns for E3 when Sony and Microsoft are going to unveil their new systems but it'll likely be almost a year in the life of the Wii-U before we see the next Mario or Zelda. There will have been no reason for the Wii-U to have been released a year earlier, except to appeal to the Nintendo fans that would have bought the system regardless of when it was released.
Posted Image

#52 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Of course, Wombat would agree with the BS that is the Far Cry 3 racist claim. I cannot stand people that think like that. All people have time to do now days is sit around and dream up reasons to be 'offended'. The PC movement has left the western world, particularly America, as nothing more than giant children--easily offended and with fragile little psyches. I love this show, and it's fun to listen to them banter and talk about games, but certain people on it are akin to oxygen thieves.

Edited by Zaku77, 26 January 2013 - 04:58 AM.

Check out my YouTube channel for collection updates, games industry discussion, and game analysis!
http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

My Blog for more in depth looks at video games (and even anime!): http://helldestroyer77.blogspot.com/

#53 Royale

Royale

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

I couldn't help myself. Immediately after the opening music ended I stopped listening and fired up spotify to listen to that 311 album. The whole thing. Ahhhhhh high school memories. That album came out 18 years ago if my memory is correct. Damn I'm old. Came back and listened later. Great episode as usual.

#54 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Reason #498 of Why I Love the CAGcast

5 seconds into Wombat's Mumford and Sons impersonation I thought "sounds a little like 500 miles". And of course the CAG crew picks up on it and I get a Wombat Proclaimers impersonation too. So good.

:)
"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#55 Icedus

Icedus

Starpointer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Last time I checked, migrating DLC and what-have-you from earlier LittleBigPlanet games into Karting was still on their to-do list. So caveat emptor. By which I mean caveat of missing out on it at twenty/ten bucks.

#56 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Searching For Sugar Man is now available at Redbox. I just reserved my copy for the box down the street.

UPDATE: That movie should have been 20 minutes long. It was a chore to pay attention while folding laundry. I think I applauded at the end because it was finally over. Also: I fast-played through the long music parts, I don't appreciate his music nearly as much as white people in Africa.

The single interesting thing about the story wasn't even addressed at all: Why and how did his "death" story come about? Apparently that wasn't worth talking about, but the size of his unused hotel bed was.

Edited by Kerig, 28 January 2013 - 03:29 AM.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#57 OCDBuzz311

OCDBuzz311

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

As a 311 fan, I really appreciated Cheapy's hilarious rendition of Down 7 or 8 episodes back and I was glad that he remembered to start CAGcast#311 with the song.

Shipwreck gets bonus points for his punny 311 tweet for the episode and Wombat gets a demerit for failing to come up with any 311 jokes at all.

Edited by OCDBuzz311, 27 January 2013 - 02:29 AM.

#58 Porksta

Porksta

Sillier Mofo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

So the lesson is sue Cheapy and go broke. Don't hire Wombat and you go broke.
I am famous for getting CheapyD to watch Swollen Tip while he was broadcasting live.

#59 sigmajt

sigmajt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

+1 for Link to the past being the best zelda game ever.
Is there a video game that has had a better ending since?
I feel game endings these days are afterthoughts. That one was epic.

#60 deathmothon

deathmothon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

Cheapy and Shipwreck get some 311 love/jokes into the episode. Wombat adds completely pussified FarCry3 racism arguments. It makes you uncomfortable in retrospect? Go play some more LEGO Star Wars or whatever. Seriously, find a gamer to add to the Cagcast.