Photo
- - - - -

what gifts do men want for valentine's day?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

not going to lie, I created this thread for ideas for what to get Cyric this year. I figured hearing all of your hopes would provide some inspiration.
Spoiler

so answer honestly, what (preferably under $50 because we're all poor) would you really like to receive as a gift on Valentine's day?

Edited by guinaevere, 26 January 2013 - 12:54 AM.
reworded a bit

gwensigol8.png

#2 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I always tell my wife a card and sex are pretty much all I expect...

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#3 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

A nice evening/good time is generally all I want. If we have sex, great, if not, there's always the next day. Not sure if you're a hockey fan household, but perhaps a restaurant that has a game on, a few drinks, and some food?

Not sure why everyone goes crazy over presents for VD...

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#4 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

A nice evening/good time is generally all I want. If we have sex, great, if not, there's always the next day. Not sure if you're a hockey fan household, but perhaps a restaurant that has a game on, a few drinks, and some food?

Yeah, I don't need presents, just the time alone or at a restaurant or something. I will say if you get him something, buy him something useful that he will use or a night out. Concert tickets, or tickets to a sporting event is always good. I am buying my GF concert tickets for valentines day. Then again I am just calling it a valentines day gift because we both wanted to see the band :lol:.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#5 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I wish I could say otherwise, but I am materialistic. I like to show my appreciation/friendship/love for people by buying gifts for them. just as I would love to receive for the same reason. :blush:

it may wind up being a special night with dinner out and all, but the idea of a little or practical something that he'll always have... that's what I would like to give. for him, it may be a popcorn Popper as he has wanted one for ages. I dunno.

keep the answers coming in. it's always interesting to hear what men would truly like for a gift, as opposed to what a man will say bc he thinks it's what he's supposed to say.
gwensigol8.png

#6 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Food and sex
Posted Image

#7 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

The restaurant idea seems lame. Isn't that what the man is supposed to do?

That is what I have done. Restaurant and jewelry.

Now last year my girlfriend got me some Turtle Beach headphones which works for two ways, I use them as a production tool for my blog, and when she use to study for school I put them on so she wasn't distracted.

If you want to get him something that he would use, that popcorn popper is not a bad idea. Other cheap ideas would be a wallet, a watch, shadow box of pictures of you two together. Things that may be cliché.

xivpads.png

#8 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

The only thing I want from my wife on valentines day is to not be reminded of valentines day. I don't need a card, I don't want chocolates, I just want another wonderful night spent with her.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#9 m_d_amore

m_d_amore

BrooKlyn Bum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

a BJ to completion
Posted ImagePosted Image
You can kill a cow(mo0) and eat it. But you can't pick a plant and Smoke it?
Assy Ass Ass , Ass Ass.

XBox 360 is for Poor people

#10 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

new bong ftw

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#11 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Stick it in HIS pooper for a change up, maybe?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Add me to the nothing gift wise category. I hate commercialized holidays.

I just like setting aside the evening to spend together. A nice dinner (preferably at home to avoid crowds), curl up and watch a movie, have sex etc.

Even that's not a big deal as we do those kind of evenings regularly as we both put a lot of priority on keeping our relationship strong and not taking things for granted.

#13 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

bad quality but great standup segment, lol

#14 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

My fiancee and I are both artists and collectors of various things, but all of my favorite gifts from her have been handmade. Admittedly, she's exceptionally crafty, but having something so thoroughly thought out and focused on from her is the coolest shit ever as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler'd a picture of her catering to my love of all things BioShock.

Spoiler

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#15 bigsick

bigsick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Op your post is kind of vague. For 50 or under you could get a lot. What are his interests?

#16 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Captain fuckin' Marvel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Best Valentine's gift I ever got was a ton of comics and peanut butter and chocolate cookies.

#17 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

A nice dinner + sex should do the trick.
Xecutioner
CML

#18 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

No presents. Just treat it like an annualized date night.

#19 jbroush99

jbroush99

Old Tickle Feathers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Threesome

#20 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Spoiler'd a picture of her catering to my love of all things BioShock.

Spoiler

your honey is very talented. and she's super awesome to boot!! nice work.

Cyric would probably like something along the handmade lines if it is something cool that's he's interested in. I don't have those mad skills though. can always look no etsy.

Edited by guinaevere, 25 January 2013 - 03:28 AM.
grammar

gwensigol8.png

#21 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Op your post is kind of vague. For 50 or under you could get a lot. What are his interests?

I could post his interests, but I prefer hearing what YOU all would love to get for valentines. then i'll adapt and cater those ideas to sumpin for him.

Edited by guinaevere, 25 January 2013 - 03:30 AM.
good gosh, too many interruptions at work make me sound unintelligible.

gwensigol8.png

#22 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Beer. Buy me a mix-a-six or two and I'd be happy as hell.

I'm an odd kind of guy, but I really just love getting gifts that are useful. Stuff that I need. Socks, wiper blades, kitchen towels, toothpaste, laundry detergent, etc. They're all great gifts. Because then I can take the money that I would have spent on those, and buy something for myself, which I'm guaranteed to like. :p

#23 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Me and my wife are super crafty/artsy and while we make a bunch of stuff for ourselves/each other/our daughter
Spoiler
we usually buy v-day gifts handmade by others (I like to support individual artists.) I'll be getting this guy as I do a lot of robot art and enjoy collecting it.
Spoiler

Here's a nice interview with the artist which includes an etsy link at the end (you'll be blown away by his prices): http://www.infiniteh...in-afghanistan/

I'll be getting my wife a handmade wooden comb.

We are getting our daughter a self-published children's book that includes knit patterns for a sweater for a child and a doll from the book that my wife is going to make for her.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Personally? I'd love an automaton.

#25 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

FYI: A lot of men don't understand the emotional aspect of gift giving the same way women do. For a lot of women, giving and receiving gifts is a way of showing love, but for a lot of men, gift giving is about practicality. People like to do for their significant other, what they want to get in return. So buying a really thoughtful gift could end up falling flat for him.

Realistically, there's a lot of pressure put on the male in the relationship, so the best gift for him would be to tell him exactly what you want and to not make a big deal out of it and/or the day. Also, go out to dinner the weekend before or after, not the day of, if that's your thing. If being together on Valentine's Day is a big thing for you, rent a cool movie (not a cheesie chick-flic, unless he's into those) or play a co-op game that you both enjoy, and make dinner and have some wine.

Spoiler

On the subject of the actual gift, if he's anything like me, there might not actually be anything he really wants. There's very few things that I ever want, mainly video games, and I'll always just pick it up for myself. The best thing my wife could get me would be a best buy/amazon gift card.

Also, BJ & a steak.
To each his own.

#26 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Tickets to a sporting event or concert. And sex.

ach.pngthe_it_crowd_moss.jpg

#27 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Tickets to a sporting event.

Oh yeah, this is a good idea. You're from Atlanta, so you might be able to pick up a pack of Braves tickets for a few games.I know out here The Angels sell multiple game ticket packages. I could probably pick up a 4-6 game, 2 ticket/game package for around 50 bucks. Maybe some tickets to the hawks? A few years ago, I was dating a big Lakers fan, and I was able to score a couple floor level tickets to a Lakers game for around $200 on ebay. My guess would be that Hawks tickets could be purchased for much less than that.

There's also hockey, but do you really want to go to a hockey game?

If he's a sports fan and you're not, make sure you tell him that the tickets are for him and his best friend/dad/brother/cousin. Don't pressure him into taking you. You'll be miserable for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and he'll be able to tell, and it'll ruin the game for him.
To each his own.

#28 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Sometimes, it's best to give into ThinkGeek for the "cool" gifts for holidays.

8-bit rose: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2a4
8-bit flower bouquet: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e731/
Plush microbes: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/6708/

Those three are inexpensive, "cool" (IMO) and a little out of the ordinary for items you'd possibly give for V-Day.

Other Valentine's Day gift options: http://www.thinkgeek...sts/valentines/

And I know you've mentioned that you like gift giving/receiving, though that doesn't have to to be the main focus. As others have said, dinner out (though pick another day than V-Day unless you plan well, well in advance since it gets so busy that day), something to do with one another like going to the zoo/aquarium/museum/movie/etc, or some other way to just spend time with one another.

The gifts aren't important, they're just a token. Showing how you feel about one another is, in whatever way you think is best for you two.

#29 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Don't pressure him into taking you. You'll be miserable for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and he'll be able to tell, and it'll ruin the game for him.

This is one of the wisest things I've read on the internet. Good shit.

Also, thanks, Guin. She's a catch.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#30 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Don't pressure him into taking you. You'll be miserable for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and he'll be able to tell, and it'll ruin the game for him.

ha ha!! the irony- I enjoy sports far more than him. I have to go with coworkers or my big bro to see a game. XD
gwensigol8.png