Will PS3 Regular Slim Prices Skyrocket?

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
It's no secret that people hate the newest design. Do you think the old 160 GB and 320 GB slim models will become a lot pricier over time? The only one that seems like it's in stock online is the 320 GB Uncharted bundle.

I ask because my 2010 slim has already been repaired once for a faulty disc drive and I am considering buying a 320 GB slim in case it breaks. I suppose I could get it repaired for $150.00 if it breaks but they might just replace it with one of the crappy new models.

I have a fat PS3. I have had for four years with no problems. This thing would been sold a long time ago if It wasn't used as a media server.

I doubt it. There's just so many of them out there in the marketplace.

I thought the phat would have value because of its backward compatibility, but nope. I have a phat to play PS2 games... and have yet to play any PS2 games on it, if that's an indication of anything.

Im almost sure they wont "sky rocket". They might be able to maintain their value currently for awhile, but I do not see the price of them increasing. Especially for the fact that the new super slim ps3 is available in 500gb, and in the more days 500gb and in white!

Only PS3's that are worth more than any other PS3 is one with old firm/operating system for hacking, even then, its probably only a slight premium.

From what I read, it's a slightly different set of technical issues. And it sounds blown out of proportion. I don't see news sites burning up over these new units.

[quote name='Vinny']Why do people hate the new design? Because it's ugly or... because of technical issues?[/QUOTE]
I personally love the new one. No technical issues for me Design wise...mine goes on top of my desk, it it was in an entertainment center it might not be great, because you put the disc in the top, not in a slot.

The only technical issue I am aware of is that high pitched sound problem a few people had.

The loading is a little louder in the new slim. Otherwise the new slim is better since top loading means the system won't wear out as quickly.

[quote name='Vinny']Why do people hate the new design? Because it's ugly or... because of technical issues?[/QUOTE]

For me, it's because it's hideous.

Can't it be both?

for me im looking to pay more for a new slim if i can find one which i havent been able too. i bought my superslim around christmas and it just doesnt work right. its always freezing up and really slow to go through the main dashboard. ive already swapped for another and it has the same issues. im currently looking for a slim. i never really cared for the SS anyway. as soon as i opened the box i knew it was a cheap piece.
now i wouldnt pay a skyrocketing price for a slim but id pay more. how much more would depend on if i can actually find one.

Don't forget there are basically 2 types of slim: illuminated power/eject buttons with larger heat sink and one without those, some other small variations and smaller heatsink/fans.

If you didn't get a slim yet I would start making sure you find one before there are none left and all you can get is that crappy super slim.

Probably not. I saw these just a few days ago at a Best Buy:

8436945021_76541ef83f.jpg

The video game guy said they even had some left in the back room that weren't on display.

[quote name='sciafb']Don't forget there are basically 2 types of slim: illuminated power/eject buttons with larger heat sink and one without those, some other small variations and smaller heatsink/fans.

If you didn't get a slim yet I would start making sure you find one before there are none left and all you can get is that crappy super slim.[/QUOTE]

The first slim was built until August 2011, had Wi-Fi status light, eject button light, chrome under disc drive, glossy finish on left and right side of system, PS logo is raised plastic piece, can play blu ray via component.

August 2011+ Slim: no wifi light, no eject button light, black under disc tray instead of chrome, system is complete matte, ps logo etched above disc drive, no 1080p blu ray via component cables (blu ray new compliance).

Just wanted to add to what you had.

where would the model # be? I think I have the second version. no idea why Sony would get rid of a wifi light and eject button light.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']no idea why Sony would get rid of a wifi light and eject button light.[/QUOTE]

To save money. Even a few cent can add up a lot when you are selling millions of them.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']where would the model # be? I think I have the second version. no idea why Sony would get rid of a wifi light and eject button light.[/QUOTE]

Back of the console. CECH-3000 or newer is the 2nd slim. You can also tell because "Sony" is etched on the first slim in silver, engraved (black) on the 2nd slim.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']The first slim was built until August 2011, had Wi-Fi status light, eject button light, chrome under disc drive, glossy finish on left and right side of system, PS logo is raised plastic piece, can play blu ray via component.

August 2011+ Slim: no wifi light, no eject button light, black under disc tray instead of chrome, system is complete matte, ps logo etched above disc drive, no 1080p blu ray via component cables (blu ray new compliance).

Just wanted to add to what you had.[/QUOTE]

Oh right on! Very nice add on. I totally forgot about the blu ray via component secret. Its been awhile since I got mine I couldn't bother to refresh myself with all those details :p

I will add further a few more things:

120/250 GB "Slim" (PAL, NTSC)
CECH-20xxA CECH-20xxB
GPU: 65 nm CPU: 45 nm
Power: 250 W

CECH-21xxA CECH-21xxB
GPU: 40 nm CPU: 45 nm
Power: 230 W
Supposedly has heavier heatsink from prior 65nm chip

160/320 GB "Slim" (PAL, NTSC)

CECH-25xxA CECH-25xxB
slightly lighter heatsink for the smaller 40nm GPU

CECH-30xxA CECH-30xxB
Power: 200 W

Pretty much you want the green ones. The "oldest" and "newest" Slims are undesirable.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sciafb']Oh right on! Very nice add on. I totally forgot about the blu ray via component secret. Its been awhile since I got mine I couldn't bother to refresh myself with all those details :p

I will add further a few more things:

CECH-20xxA CECH-20xxB
GPU: 65 nm CPU: 45 nm
Power: 250 W

CECH-21xxA CECH-21xxB
Supposedly has heavier heatsink from prior 65nm chip

CECH-25xxA CECH-25xxB
slightly lighter heatsink for the smaller 40nm GPU

CECH-30xxA CECH-30xxB
Power: 200 W

Pretty much you want the green ones. The "oldest" and "newest" Slims are undesirable.[/QUOTE]

Nice write up, I mean if you can only get the newest slim, I'd still rather have that than the superslim.

Thanks sciafb for the info. But why is the last red version in your list undesirable? I only see the lower wattage difference from the two green ones. Less electricity used. Unless thats the super slim?

The only one that seems easily accessible to me is the 320 gb Uncharted 3 bundle on Amazon. Is that a 30xxA model?

Is the last model functionally inferior? The lack of LED lights will not bother me.

Is there a way to track how many items Amazon has in stock?

[quote name='addicted2games']Thanks sciafb for the info. But why is the last red version in your list undesirable? I only see the lower wattage difference from the two green ones. Less electricity used. Unless thats the super slim?[/QUOTE]

newest slim doesn't have 1080p bluray support via component cables.

bread's done
Back