Apple's hype is slowly disappering

The problem is most of their products including the iphone have just been getting updates rather than complete overhauls but honestly as a new 13" macbook air owner I don't know what else they could do to that thing to make it better. I guess a "Retina display" but I'd forgo that for even more battery life.

The other thing is when you are top dog there is nowhere to go but down.

Sadly, I think the magic died with Steve Jobs. He had a way of making the most mundane, obvious next step seem revolutionary. He had such a feel for what people think was "cool" and took a personal hand in the smallest details. He also managed the information flow in such a way that he could control the message and how people reacted to it.

Now they release upgraded version of the same thing they have put out for years, as their competitors are doing the same thing. Apple has always commanded a premium because owning their items made people feel like they were on the trendy edge - but without this, they are simply the same thing that costs more.

It isn't that they don't make good stuff, it's just that it has lost some of the magic.

[quote name='defpally']I think the magic died[/QUOTE]

Any magic that compels people to pay the prices that Apple charges for the products they produce needs to die.

They could have cornered the PC market back in the 70s but they were stubborn. The same thing is happening now. They need to license iOS to other phone and tablet manufacturers.

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']Selling proprietary items and hoping a company stays afloat based on "branding".[/QUOTE]

ALL companies do this. The ones that don't sell commodities based on low-margin, high volume.

I think its time Apple unveil a new product. The last one was back in 2010 which was the iPad.

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']
Selling proprietary items and hoping a company stays afloat based on "branding".... Didn't Apple tried something like that back in the early days ....:roll:[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is doing this now.

Apple just had the highest recorded profit ever in the history of the company at 13.06 BILLION dollars. They're currently sitting on 137.1 billion dollars in cash. That's higher than the GDP's of some countries...

Apple doesn't have a hype problem. Apple has a "what market should we innovate next" problem. If there is nowhere left to innovate, then they'll have to consider changing the business model.

That all being said, nothing changed about Apple from yesterday to today. Nothing. No one died. No new product came out.

Apple has a very attractive P/E of 10-11 right now. They have a really cheap book value. I personally believe they'll continue to climb, but with much slower growth than we've seen in the past 5 years for certain.

[quote name='jkam']Nintendo is doing this now.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Nintendo does innovate, and Apple used to do that. They may not always invent the technology, but they find compelling new ways to use it. Every console Nintendo has released has had some new hook to justify it. The other console makers just stick with better, faster, more.

- The NES introduced the Dpad. I sneered at it when I first saw it. Play arcade games with that? No way, that is meant for those stupid pocket games!
- The SNES introduced Scaling/Rotation/Transparency and shoulder buttons.
- The N64 had the analog stick, four controller slots and rumble.
- The Gamecube introduced connectivity to a handheld and reliable wireless controllers.
- The Wii had motion control.
- The WiiU has the touch screen on the controller and interaction with the TV.
- Even the handhelds have had their share of innovations.

If you are going to survive off of branding, you have to innovate. Nintendo has had some down times, but they never would have survived if those consoles didn't innovate. The Wii would have been dead in the water without motion control, instead it took off like a rocket.

Apple cannot continue to lead by releasing the iPad 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. And their latest attempts at proprietary things has been a disaster, like the Maps app because they didn't want to continue to work with Google. They are more like Sony today than they are like Nintendo. The next iPad/iPhone had better have a more compelling feature than "faster processor" or "better screen" if they don't want to continue to lose market share.

I like their new CEO, but he is no Steve Jobs. Jobs could get people excited to own an iRock, with proprietary "Heavy" technology. I really like that Cook is going back on Job's determination to keep all production outside the US, it shows responsibility to the economy that made them who they are. Jobs was pretty well known for having told the president "Never gonna happen" when asked what it would take to make some of their products in the US.

[quote name='defpally']Yes, but Nintendo does innovate, and Apple used to do that. They may not always invent the technology, but they find compelling new ways to use it. Every console Nintendo has released has had some new hook to justify it. The other console makers just stick with better, faster, more.

- The NES introduced the Dpad. I sneered at it when I first saw it. Play arcade games with that? No way, that is meant for those stupid pocket games!
- The SNES introduced Scaling/Rotation/Transparency and shoulder buttons.
- The N64 had the analog stick, four controller slots and rumble.
- The Gamecube introduced connectivity to a handheld and reliable wireless controllers.
- The Wii had motion control.
- The WiiU has the touch screen on the controller and interaction with the TV.
- Even the handhelds have had their share of innovations.

If you are going to survive off of branding, you have to innovate. Nintendo has had some down times, but they never would have survived if those consoles didn't innovate. The Wii would have been dead in the water without motion control, instead it took off like a rocket.

Apple cannot continue to lead by releasing the iPad 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. And their latest attempts at proprietary things has been a disaster, like the Maps app because they didn't want to continue to work with Google. They are more like Sony today than they are like Nintendo. The next iPad/iPhone had better have a more compelling feature than "faster processor" or "better screen" if they don't want to continue to lose market share.

I like their new CEO, but he is no Steve Jobs. Jobs could get people excited to own an iRock, with proprietary "Heavy" technology. I really like that Cook is going back on Job's determination to keep all production outside the US, it shows responsibility to the economy that made them who they are. Jobs was pretty well known for having told the president "Never gonna happen" when asked what it would take to make some of their products in the US.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is no longer innovating. That shipped sailed years ago. They are introducing gimmicky hardware to make you think the same Zelda game you've been playing for years is somehow different. There menu systems are slow and borked. Their online infrastructure is a joke. At this point I would say Nintendo is something different rather than something innovative. They play it safe too, new Mario, new Zelda, new Smash Bros., etc. etc. Actually maybe that is my aggravation with them, they are trying with the hardware but have given up on what had made them great their software.

I did say the same thing in my post too though about apple...they are just upgrading specs. I'm just not sure what's next. An iphone that docks and becomes a mac osx computer is probably the next step.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Apple just had the highest recorded profit ever in the history of the company at 13.06 BILLION dollars. They're currently sitting on 137.1 billion dollars in cash. That's higher than the GDP's of some countries...

Apple doesn't have a hype problem. Apple has a "what market should we innovate next" problem. If there is nowhere left to innovate, then they'll have to consider changing the business model.

That all being said, nothing changed about Apple from yesterday to today. Nothing. No one died. No new product came out.

Apple has a very attractive P/E of 10-11 right now. They have a really cheap book value. I personally believe they'll continue to climb, but with much slower growth than we've seen in the past 5 years for certain.[/QUOTE]

But they missed their forecasts and cut orders to suppliers. They'll be bankrupt tomorrow. Sell sell sell and get out now!!

Seriously though, I don't understand why people are acting like Apple's dominance is ending just because of two items. They're still one of the most profitable companies and can sell items at huge mark-ups due to their loyalist fans. The might fall but a bit but it's not the end of the world.

[quote name='jkam']Nintendo is no longer innovating. That shipped sailed years ago. They are introducing gimmicky hardware to make you think the same Zelda game you've been playing for years is somehow different. There menu systems are slow and borked. Their online infrastructure is a joke. At this point I would say Nintendo is something different rather than something innovative. They play it safe too, new Mario, new Zelda, new Smash Bros., etc. etc. Actually maybe that is my aggravation with them, they are trying with the hardware but have given up on what had made them great their software.

I did say the same thing in my post too though about apple...they are just upgrading specs. I'm just not sure what's next. An iphone that docks and becomes a mac osx computer is probably the next step.[/QUOTE]

Not to turn this into a Nintendo thing, but a gimmick to you is an innovation to others. And the other console makers rush to copy them. How many of the features I listed have found their way to other consoles? Almost all of them. Microsoft is even doing the WiiU thing with their Surface stuff (and the 720), and it seems Sony is dabbling in that with the PS4 as well.

I agree with you on the software though. I was referring to hardware.

[quote name='Vinny']But they missed their forecasts and cut orders to suppliers. They'll be bankrupt tomorrow. Sell sell sell and get out now!!

Seriously though, I don't understand why people are acting like Apple's dominance is ending just because of two items. They're still one of the most profitable companies and can sell items at huge mark-ups due to their loyalist fans. The might fall but a bit but it's not the end of the world.[/QUOTE]

And even if they fall a bit, they're still one of the most profitable companies on earth. So what if they don't make 48% on each iPad sold anymore? I can be happy with them making 45%.

I don't understand why people are actively rooting for ANY company to fail. It honestly makes no sense.

No one is rooting for Apple to fail, however some people want a company to be fairly judged and evaluated.

Remember what happened the last time when "something" was Over- HYPED, where what was being sold was basically just "hype"... Thank god taxpayers had Trillions to help bail us out...ha ha ha ah....sad

been there, done that

fads and hype are for the inexperienced, uneducated, bandwagon masses, or the worst greedy profit-takers.

^ actual *very sad* game scenario.

[quote name='mtxbass1']And even if they fall a bit, they're still one of the most profitable companies on earth. So what if they don't make 48% on each iPad sold anymore? I can be happy with them making 45%.

I don't understand why people are actively rooting for ANY company to fail. It honestly makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

It's very easy to understand... People always need to be "approved" of their decisions. Think about it, the iPads/iPhones are exactly cheap, so people need to feel the purchase is justified. I know it sounds stupid, but that's the basic mentality behind every major purchase.

I never liked Apple products because of iTunes. The fact that iPads/iPhones/Touch don't show up as external devices when you plug into the computer bugs me. I like to know what's on my devices, the folders and files, including the hidden ones.

Anyway, I don't think Apple is not being innovating or anything, it's just that people are starting to realize it's harder to seek "approvals" for their purchases (including Apple stocks).

They used to get their approval from their kindred spirit in Steve Jobs, who they saw as a fellow nerd done good... Now with him gone, Apple is just another "evil" corporation out to make a buck. Think about how much of the bad stuff was glossed over or ignored by Apply acolytes before (charges of child labor, bad working conditions, poor wages)... now it won't be ignored by some in that crowd.

I'm willing to bet that the white color has such a big psychological effect that if the ipod or the earbuds were black, sales would drop.
Herd mentality at its best.

[quote name='Serpentor']
I never liked Apple products because of iTunes. The fact that iPads/iPhones/Touch don't show up as external devices when you plug into the computer bugs me. I like to know what's on my devices, the folders and files, including the hidden ones.
[/QUOTE]
This is the number reason I did not get one back when they were first getting big. Since then, I've always tried to avoid the proprietary when buying worthless gadgets. And iTunes ran like shit on PC when I tried it so it left a bad taste in my mouth.

[quote name='Spokker']This is the number reason I did not get one back when they were first getting big. Since then, I've always tried to avoid the proprietary when buying worthless gadgets. And iTunes ran like shit on PC when I tried it so it left a bad taste in my mouth.[/QUOTE]

I still remember when the iPhone 3 went out for 800$ unlocked. I bought an equivalent Samsung (the s8500wave, 720p camera, 1ghz cpu, GPS, superamoled display), for 300$...

Man.. Apple have so many new gadgets up their sleeves its not even funny.. You can only imagine whats to come from Apple in the next ten years.. the top dog doesn't just fall off.. they will always be around.. HDTVs.. Watches.. new Phones and iPads.. more Fantastic Macbooks! people love these things..

and i mean.. everyone and their grandma owns a Apple product now a days.. its not like you can sell someone a iPad this year and get that same person to buy the next iteration again next year.. i mean people do but not your everyday normal person.. you wait a few gens.. untill they have improved in all areas that fit to your liking.

People will always prefer elegance and class over plastic and lag.. and Apple will always have customers..

[quote name='jkam']The problem is most of their products including the iphone have just been getting updates rather than complete overhauls but honestly as a new 13" macbook air owner I don't know what else they could do to that thing to make it better. I guess a "Retina display" but I'd forgo that for even more battery life.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not one that buys into the need to replace a gadget every year or two. My iPad 2 is still fine. Does everything I need a tablet to do, so I've not felt compelled to upgrade . The retina screen is awesome, but not worth upgrading.

My iPhone 4s similarly is still fine power wise as my tablet and phone uses are very basic--net, e-mail, basic games, reading pdfs and e-books, reading newspapers etc.

I may upgrade the phone this year though simply because there's a scratch/chip in the middle of the screen where I dropped it 15 feet or so over a little cliff on a hike in Yellowstone last summer after taking a picture.

I also echo others that I'll never understand fanboyism or hatred of brands. All big corporations suck. I just buy what ever fits my needs best and go with it. I never like to see any company fail as it's lost jobs and less competition which means less innovation. I also don't want to cheer on a company to dominate and end up with a monopoly as that also stiffles innovation.

If nothing else, having a strong apple in the game pushes microsoft and other PC/tablet/phone makers to keep innovating. Before the ultrabooks showed up, I felt like most windows laptops(with a few exceptions) were big, bulky and just didn't have it all together.

I'm typing this on a lenovo yoga running windows 8, and I really like it, not sure that it would be around without all the pressure microsoft is feeling from apple taking a decent amount of high end mobile market share.

Last time I was in the mall, I stopped by the microsoft store. In my opinion it's has a better layout, looks great with the big video wall, was cleaner and more inviting than the apple store, but the apple store was still packed with people. Don't think their going anywhere anytime soon, maybe just coming back down to reality, a little.

bread's done
Back