The General eBay Rant Thread

• Please log in to reply
1711 replies to this topic

#391 Boosted

Boosted

Trophy Huntin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

What is it with people waiting until after they buy and pay for an item to ask a question?

Yesterday I sold a Wii game and someone asked me if it works on Wii U, then I sold a game today and was asked if it is the Greatest Hits version or not (If I sell a Greatest Hits game, I always mention it).

I had the same thing happen yesterday. Guys buys something that I had free shipping within the U.S. and email to ask if I ship to Canada. No, if I shipped to Canada it would have had a International shipping option NumbNuts.

sumderek.png

New List of Games for Sale http://www.cheapassg...-credit-paypal/

#392 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

So theyre changing to a flat 10% fee and BIN must be 30!!!!% over starting price, next month. Pretty much killed my desire to sell anything over $100 on it.

oy... only a matter of time before they are taking 50% of your sales.

#393 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

So theyre changing to a flat 10% fee and BIN must be 30!!!!% over starting price, next month. Pretty much killed my desire to sell anything over $100 on it.

Don't they already charge 10% of FV on auction listings and 13% on BIN video game items?

#394 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Don't they already charge 10% of FV on auction listings and 13% on BIN video game items?

For video game related items, I think it was actually 9% for auction style listings vs. BIN which was 13%. So the 10% change is a decrease in overall fees especially if you list BIN most of the time. It's good that they also cut down the unpaid buyer cases down by 2 days. I thought 8 days was always way too long for a buyer to pay. They need to up the penalty on unpaid transactions though. Like allow sellers to block buyers that have just one unpaid transaction instead of two.

Question: Does eBay charge you an insertion fee for each item if you list multiple quantities of the same item? For example, if the insertion fee is 50 cents, and I list 5 copies of an item (as one listing), would I get charged 5 times over or just one time? I read it awhile back but I still was unsure about whether they charged it per listing vs. per item regardless of listing.

#395 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

It should just be $0.50 no matter how many items you have if its the same listing.

#396 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

It should just be $0.50 no matter how many items you have if its the same listing.

Pretty sure they charge you .50 for the initial listing, but each time one of that item sells, they charge you the .50 it would cost to have an individual listing for that item, as well as the normal final value fees.

#397 edson13

edson13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

they charged you 13% of the first $50 and 5% of anything over that.

#398 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Not a rant from me, but probably the other side of a rant from someone else: I really fucked up on "sniping" an auction today for the first time ever. Let's just say I misplaced a decimal point and just clicked through the confirm popup because there was only 2 seconds left. The good news is, I think the seller can just do a Second Chance offer and probably get more for the item than he might have otherwise because there was someone else bidding awfully high too. I feel like a dick and am a dick for getting sloppy with this "snipe" attempt, but at the same time, I'm not draining my bank account for an absurd mistake, even though it was my fault. And at least I notified him immediately. I could alternatively just have not said anything, not paid and received my first ever (and likely last ever) non-payment strike, which wouldn't affect much after 30 days.

#399 Br0keAssGamer

Br0keAssGamer

BrokeAssGamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Not a rant from me, but probably the other side of a rant from someone else: I really fucked up on "sniping" an auction today for the first time ever. Let's just say I misplaced a decimal point and just clicked through the confirm popup because there was only 2 seconds left. The good news is, I think the seller can just do a Second Chance offer and probably get more for the item than he might have otherwise because there was someone else bidding awfully high too. I feel like a dick and am a dick for getting sloppy with this "snipe" attempt, but at the same time, I'm not draining my bank account for an absurd mistake, even though it was my fault. And at least I notified him immediately. I could alternatively just have not said anything, not paid and received my first ever (and likely last ever) non-payment strike, which wouldn't affect much after 30 days.

At least you were responsible about it. Nothing pisses me off more than when someone bids and never even bothers to respond about not paying for the item. It ends up wasting more than a week of my time with filing and closing the case, and relisting the item.

Make $$ on your iOS or Android device using FeaturePoints! 

Use the code G8KHP9 for 50 FREE POINTS when you start!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't care if it's another fucking Mario/Duck Hunt. It's the only thing I've found today so I'm buying it!"
My eBay Page http://myworld.ebay....jabberwocky2600

#400 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

What's pissing me off lately is I went to strict BIN listings requiring Immediate Payment due to problems with people bidding on auctions and never paying or even messaging. I have had 6 items this week that buyers have somehow been able to bypass the Immediate Payment requirement only to never pay. eBay claims they had no idea how people are bypassing it but of course will not let me open UPI cases early.

#401 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

I am very mad.

Won an untested virtual boy with 3 games for 50 3 weeks ago. Guy sends a message a week later saying he just moved and can't find it but will keep looking. He then ignores me for a week ignoring 3 messages before randomly refunding me. Waits a few days and relists for 180. Guy had 100% feedback. Not anymore. (Not to mention an absurd price. There isn't a rare game or anything, lmao. Might get 80-100)
www.vg-force.com

#402 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

I've had a similar case before. I sniped a Black Ops Prestige for $90 new when it was worth $200 - $300 at the time and the seller said they had mailed it even though there was no tracking #. I never received it and they said they would just refund me and take it as a loss. I'm pretty sure they just relisted it for a higher BIN price and never shipped it. I neg'd their account when they had a near perfect rating at the time.

On the flip side, they still had to pay the eBay fees on it still so I guess I take some comfort that they had to eat the costs which was about $10 ::shrug::

kodave - I would leave it alone since as you said you don't want to risk any blowback on your associated AMZ accounts.

Edited by Donut2922, 21 March 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#403 granturismo

granturismo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

If you negative feedback, don't they just do it back?

#404 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

If you negative feedback, don't they just do it back?

A buyer can't receive anything but positive feedback so that would be impossible. The seller could leave a "false positive" for the buyer... something like:

"+" Buyer is a scammer, filed fraudulent claim....

^ But leaving false positives is a policy violation and if you get reported enough times they can shut your account down

#405 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Crappy sellers in the past just opened the door for crappy buyers now, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same people.

#406 granturismo

granturismo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

A buyer can't receive anything but positive feedback so that would be impossible. The seller could leave a "false positive" for the buyer... something like:

"+" Buyer is a scammer, filed fraudulent claim....

^ But leaving false positives is a policy violation and if you get reported enough times they can shut your account down

Oh wow, i resisted giving negative feedback a lot to avoid them doing the same.

#407 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Oh wow, i resisted giving negative feedback a lot to avoid them doing the same.

That is why, according to eBay, they removed the ability for sellers to leave buyers negative feedback.

They claimed that in most instances if a buyer left a seller negative feedback it was almost a guarantee that the seller was going to leave retaliatory negative feedback....

...which I'm sure is true. It makes it more difficult to pick up on a bad buyer now though. You can use sites like www.toolhaus.org to see the type of feedback that a buyer leaves (it will show negatives/neutrals left) but most good scammers don't leave feedback at all because they are smart enough where they don't want to leave a visible trail.

#408 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

one rant of mine: eBay giving sellers only 5 feedback revision requests for buyers for every 1,000 sales.

Jesus that's just half of 1% of sales! I've had buyers mistakenly leave false negatives on my account when they meant it to be positive. It rarely happens but that makes no sense to limit that request. A buyer doesn't have to do it unless they want to anyway. The times I've had my feedback revised are only when I actually send the request and it shows up in their inbox. The buyer never initiates it and takes care of it on their own. They want their hands held so I need to go through the request so they can change it themselves. If I hit 5 revisions and get left with a false negative, chances are good that the buyer will respond to my email and say "yeah sorry that was a mistake" but not do anything unless I send the request for them. But then I'll have hit my limit by then. That is sooooo stupid.

#409 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

one rant of mine: eBay giving sellers only 5 feedback revision requests for buyers for every 1,000 sales.

Jesus that's just half of 1% of sales! I've had buyers mistakenly leave false negatives on my account when they meant it to be positive. It rarely happens but that makes no sense to limit that request. A buyer doesn't have to do it unless they want to anyway. The times I've had my feedback revised are only when I actually send the request and it shows up in their inbox. The buyer never initiates it and takes care of it on their own. They want their hands held so I need to go through the request so they can change it themselves. If I hit 5 revisions and get left with a false negative, chances are good that the buyer will respond to my email and say "yeah sorry that was a mistake" but not do anything unless I send the request for them. But then I'll have hit my limit by then. That is sooooo stupid.

I've actually contacted eBay CSR about that. Their response was that they want you resolve issues with your buyer BEFORE they leave feedback. And I understand their stance and it would make sense if the majority of feedback revision requests were used the way the think they are (i.e. you provided poor customer serivce--->buyer leaves negative---->you rectify the situation---->buyer revises feedback accordingly)

HOWEVER as you mentiond the majority of the feedbacks I have had to try and revise will be something like:

"Negative" : Good Seller

^ Not kidding. I've gotten negatives and neutrals with comments like "Good Seller" or "Good Item" with no explanation as to why they chose that rating.

Other things I've gotten:

"Negative" Didn't receive item:

Follow-up from buyer: Sorry.... wrong seller! Please disregard

^ and either way eBay requires you submit a feedback revision request to get those moved. Even the ones where the buyer admits in the feedback that they made a mistake or left it for the wrong buyer eBay STILL requires that you use a feedback request revision.

#410 Lemstar

Lemstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Not exactly a rant, but I figure you guys might have seen something like this before.

I had two packages sold on eBay to mail out (one via Media Mail and one via Priority). When I got to the post office after class, the line was pretty long (the entire lobby was full and people were lining up outside), so I left my stuff in the usual area where they accept prepaid packages.

The next day, I took a look to see if they were on their way - and both of them had been scanned as delivered at the post office that afternoon.

I haven't had a chance to drop by or call the post office yet, and USPS customer service hasn't replied to my complaint. How hosed am I?

#411 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

I've actually contacted eBay CSR about that. Their response was that they want you resolve issues with your buyer BEFORE they leave feedback. And I understand their stance and it would make sense if the majority of feedback revision requests were used the way the think they are (i.e. you provided poor customer serivce--->buyer leaves negative---->you rectify the situation---->buyer revises feedback accordingly)

HOWEVER as you mentiond the majority of the feedbacks I have had to try and revise will be something like:

"Negative" : Good Seller

^ Not kidding. I've gotten negatives and neutrals with comments like "Good Seller" or "Good Item" with no explanation as to why they chose that rating.

Other things I've gotten:

"Negative" Didn't receive item:

Follow-up from buyer: Sorry.... wrong seller! Please disregard

^ and either way eBay requires you submit a feedback revision request to get those moved. Even the ones where the buyer admits in the feedback that they made a mistake or left it for the wrong buyer eBay STILL requires that you use a feedback request revision.

I thought buyers didn't need a feedback revision form to be submitted by the seller to change their feedback - even so it really shouldn't matter when the buyer is the one that chooses to change it in the end. So limiting it to only 5 for every 1,000 is just asinine. Corporations will spend tons of money on customer service but I swear sometimes the most fundamental processes should just be set by common sense.

I've gotten invites from eBay to attend workshops to voice my opinions but I have a day job so I can never attend these things otherwise I would. But I'd be surprised if other sellers have never mentioned issues like this to them either. Apparently, nothing changes. They only seem motivated to change when big brother Amazon is kicking their butt.

So it seems like I couldn't get a consensus on my question from the last page, so I'll ask again in case anybody knew: For a multi-quantity BIN listing, does eBay charge an insertion fee for each quantity in a listing (i.e. the quantity xfee) or do they charge per listing only (i.e. once xfee)?

#412 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Not exactly a rant, but I figure you guys might have seen something like this before.

I had two packages sold on eBay to mail out (one via Media Mail and one via Priority). When I got to the post office after class, the line was pretty long (the entire lobby was full and people were lining up outside), so I left my stuff in the usual area where they accept prepaid packages.

The next day, I took a look to see if they were on their way - and both of them had been scanned as delivered at the post office that afternoon.

I haven't had a chance to drop by or call the post office yet, and USPS customer service hasn't replied to my complaint. How hosed am I?

I had this same exact thing happen to me not too long ago. Checking it's still showing up as delivered to my post office on 12-22-13. I took the DC# to the post office and they were able to print up a page that had the correct information.
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#413 hotpocket

hotpocket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

The hell is with ebay capping the shipping charges? I'm assuming it's because assholes will jack up the shipping charges to ridiculous amounts, but if you're too stupid to check the price of shipping before you bid than tough shit imo.

I'm selling some stuff that would cost more than what they cap it at to ship.

#414 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

I thought buyers didn't need a feedback revision form to be submitted by the seller to change their feedback - even so it really shouldn't matter when the buyer is the one that chooses to change it in the end. So limiting it to only 5 for every 1,000 is just asinine. Corporations will spend tons of money on customer service but I swear sometimes the most fundamental processes should just be set by common sense.

I've gotten invites from eBay to attend workshops to voice my opinions but I have a day job so I can never attend these things otherwise I would. But I'd be surprised if other sellers have never mentioned issues like this to them either. Apparently, nothing changes. They only seem motivated to change when big brother Amazon is kicking their butt.

So it seems like I couldn't get a consensus on my question from the last page, so I'll ask again in case anybody knew: For a multi-quantity BIN listing, does eBay charge an insertion fee for each quantity in a listing (i.e. the quantity xfee) or do they charge per listing only (i.e. once xfee)?

I only sell BIN (well almost only). You only get charged for the initial listing (unless it is a variant listing---usually seen in clothing if you have different colors or styles and use drop down boxes on one main listing instead of creating individual listings for each color and style)

So basically if you create a listing with a quantity of say 10 (just an example) you only get charged the regular fee. If you set it up as GTC (good till cancelled) it will run forever and you will be charged the insertion fee every thirty days. It will only end if you cancel the listing or sell out of inventory. If you sell out and choose to relist more you will have to pay to insert it again. You can however edit the quantity at any time and add or subtract units.

#415 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

The hell is with ebay capping the shipping charges? I'm assuming it's because assholes will jack up the shipping charges to ridiculous amounts, but if you're too stupid to check the price of shipping before you bid than tough shit imo.

I'm selling some stuff that would cost more than what they cap it at to ship.

You can use calculated shipping to get around it. The only problem is you risk getting a low DSR for shipping costs. When I sold a Guitar Hero bundle last year, there was no way I was shipping it for $4 since on an item like that the shipping costs varied a lot. Like under $10 to ship it within a few hours away, almost $20 to ship it to the other end of the country.

#416 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

I only sell BIN (well almost only). You only get charged for the initial listing (unless it is a variant listing---usually seen in clothing if you have different colors or styles and use drop down boxes on one main listing instead of creating individual listings for each color and style)

So basically if you create a listing with a quantity of say 10 (just an example) you only get charged the regular fee. If you set it up as GTC (good till cancelled) it will run forever and you will be charged the insertion fee every thirty days. It will only end if you cancel the listing or sell out of inventory. If you sell out and choose to relist more you will have to pay to insert it again. You can however edit the quantity at any time and add or subtract units.

So that means that in a 30 day list period, the BIN with x10 quantity will cost the same as the BIN with x1 quantity? It would be more cost effective to list all quantities in one listing?

Now playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Titanfall

#417 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

So that means that in a 30 day list period, the BIN with x10 quantity will cost the same as the BIN with x1 quantity? It would be more cost effective to list all quantities in one listing?

Yep. Exactly how it works.

You will however be charged final value fees (FVF) for each item sold.

If a buyer purchases three in one transaction (let's pretend the items cost $50 each) you will be charged the FVF on $50 x 3 for that transaction.

Not $50 x1

or $150 x1

^ Just incase you didn't know the FVF on $50 x3 is more then $150 x 1

#418 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

So it looks like starting May 1st Video Game Fees will jump 1% on non-store sales. Looks like Ebay is going with a flat 10% fee. Kind of sucks for the occasional seller like myself. The discounts for having a store might work out for some people with high volume.

#419 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

It's good for anyone who only does fixed price listings though, it's going from 13% to 10%

#420 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

For the second time in the past couple months, got one of these gems: "the auction didn't sell for as much as I wanted so I'm going to re-list, sorry".

Some of these idiots think that every 99 cent auction results in some big bidding war and don't realize they might actually have to sell at 99 cents.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.