The General eBay Rant Thread

• Please log in to reply
2044 replies to this topic

#751 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

I block someone when they ask a question like that. I feel like they are trouble if right away they are asking if something is wrong with the item. Last year I was selling a new game and someone asked if there was anything wrong with the game and what my return policy is if the game is defective. That was someone I didn't want to deal with since I thought they might be a scammer.

I'm an "extensive decision" consumer so I am extremely thorough. I'm one of those people who asks detailed questions before bidding to ensure the seller didn't make a mistake while listing and was thorough. Also it's to make sure I am not mislead. Often I never receive replies, I guess I either get blocked or have dodgy sellers :p.

With so many good people on ebay buying stuff and not seeking perfection, I'd block you too.

#752 Guimengo

Guimengo

Sim and Real Racing + Sports

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

With so many good people on ebay buying stuff and not seeking perfection, I'd block you too.

It's not perfection, is having the necessary information provided. What would an honest person have to hide?

htya.jpg

3DS, GameCube, N64, DreamCast, PS1, PS2, PS3, PC, DVDs, iPod: Here

#753 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

It's not perfection, is having the necessary information provided. What would an honest person have to hide?

It's not about honesty, it's about being an over demanding selfish person.  The profit margins on most of these things aren't huge and most people don't have the time to sit there and list every tiny imperfection on everything.  That's why things are graded (like new, very good, etc).  Someone as anal as that to ask a million questions beforehand would likely try to cause a big stir if there's one scratch too many or something ridiculous like that so it's just not worth the trouble.  There's plenty of people willing to buy things without causing problems, so I can see why people who seem like trouble from the start would be blocked. 

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#754 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

It's not about honesty, it's about being an over demanding selfish person.  The profit margins on most of these things aren't huge and most people don't have the time to sit there and list every tiny imperfection on everything.  That's why things are graded (like new, very good, etc).  Someone as anal as that to ask a million questions beforehand would likely try to cause a big stir if there's one scratch too many or something ridiculous like that so it's just not worth the trouble.  There's plenty of people willing to buy things without causing problems, so I can see why people who seem like trouble from the start would be blocked. 

That is exactly why I've hardly listed anything as Like New, and most of the time go for just Good (even though many would consider it better condition).  I always take pictures and describe any basic flaws, but someone who is buying Good or Acceptable probably won't be as concerned about its condition.

If most people read eBay's description for Like New, hardly anything would truly qualify for it (emphasis on flawless), not including their disclaimer to see seller's description (which defeats the condition listing purpose IMO).

#755 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just to vent I had a buyer who purchased a game on Saturday night (a $3 game at that) They sent a message TWO minutes after purchase asking why it hadn't shipped yet followed by another 6 that night. Another 11 followed on Sunday and then it was shipped first thing Monday morning. They then started sending messages saying I lief and it hadn't shipped yet (because USPS takes awhile for tracking to load) and that they were going to file a Paypal case and a police report for fraud. Then they did an eBay personnal information request and ended up calling 15 times between midnight and 5 am.

I ended up calling eBay Trust and Safety to report them for harrassment, but according to them they can't do anything regarding harrassment unless the police are involved so they advised I file a police report for harrassment and have my phone company block his number both of which I did. After that he continued to message through eBay messages so I sent them a copy of the police report and yet they still refuse to block him from sending messages. He has now sent 67 messages since his purchase, and who knows how many more I still have to look forward to.

#756 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Post his username so we can add him to our blocked bidders lists. That is complete bullshit.

#757 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Wow. I think I would have canceled the order after the emails. 

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#758 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

Well that's just crazy. Probably a competitor or someone you pissed off before.

#759 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Just to vent I had a buyer who purchased a game on Saturday night (a $3 game at that) They sent a message TWO minutes after purchase asking why it hadn't shipped yet followed by another 6 that night. Another 11 followed on Sunday and then it was shipped first thing Monday morning. They then started sending messages saying I lief and it hadn't shipped yet (because USPS takes awhile for tracking to load) and that they were going to file a Paypal case and a police report for fraud. Then they did an eBay personnal information request and ended up calling 15 times between midnight and 5 am.

I ended up calling eBay Trust and Safety to report them for harrassment, but according to them they can't do anything regarding harrassment unless the police are involved so they advised I file a police report for harrassment and have my phone company block his number both of which I did. After that he continued to message through eBay messages so I sent them a copy of the police report and yet they still refuse to block him from sending messages. He has now sent 67 messages since his purchase, and who knows how many more I still have to look forward to.

Why didn't you just cancel the transaction and refund the buyer? Why ship it at all? You're just going to get negative feedback and probably lose whatever bullshit dispute this guy opens. I know there are crazies everywhere but something doesn't add up here.

#760 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Why didn't you just cancel the transaction and refund the buyer? Why ship it at all? You're just going to get negative feedback and probably lose whatever bullshit dispute this guy opens. I know there are crazies everywhere but something doesn't add up here.

Well they had already left positive feedback and I figured shipping it would shut them up better than cancelling would.

#761 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Sorry Ferant, that is rough.

I had a buyer recently tell me a game I shipped didn't play and he had to use windex to get it to work. (Wrong, I test all games before I list). So then he tells me its only playing the ending credits asking what is wrong. Its a 3 disc game, so I reply stating to make sure he's using disc 1 and he doesn't have an old memory card save.

I haven't heard anything back for 3 days. I offered a refund right off the bat just to try to avoid negative feedback. Should I just let sleeping dogs be or should I ask him if its okay? I don't want to get a neg or charge back in 30 days out of nowhere.

Currently playing:

Battlefield 3

ME3MP 
Fire Emblem: Awakening

My Strategy Guide TradeList

#762 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Profit margins? You're dealing with buyers. They don't care what your profit margin is. They are shopping on eBay so that they can make out like a bandit on stuff. At least that's what I do there. It doesn't matter to me if they don't make as much as they want or even lose money out of the deal. That's how eBay works. Buyers want great merchandise for 80% less than they would pay in store. Sellers want to make money. There won't be much of a balance.

What are you 10 yrs old? What seller would continue selling if they are losing money. Incase you haven't figured it out at this point in your life.....time is money.

Sorry Ferant, that is rough.

I had a buyer recently tell me a game I shipped didn't play and he had to use windex to get it to work. (Wrong, I test all games before I list). So then he tells me its only playing the ending credits asking what is wrong. Its a 3 disc game, so I reply stating to make sure he's using disc 1 and he doesn't have an old memory card save.

I haven't heard anything back for 3 days. I offered a refund right off the bat just to try to avoid negative feedback. Should I just let sleeping dogs be or should I ask him if its okay? I don't want to get a neg or charge back in 30 days out of nowhere.

Leave it alone dude.

#763 Guimengo

Guimengo

Sim and Real Racing + Sports

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yup, leave it alone and just monitor your PayPal and bank. And always keep your messages.

htya.jpg

3DS, GameCube, N64, DreamCast, PS1, PS2, PS3, PC, DVDs, iPod: Here

#764 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Well they had already left positive feedback and I figured shipping it would shut them up better than cancelling would.

The buyer left a positive feedback prior to receiving the item? You're walking right into some kind of scam or something.

#765 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

The buyer left a positive feedback prior to receiving the item? You're walking right into some kind of scam or something.

Yeah, that would have made it even fishier to me.  I would have just canceled the order.

#766 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

Time for a rave instead of a rant, I recently won an auction this past weekend which I wasn't really sure what I was going to get.  Picture showed SSBM, though the description and listing category was for LOTR: Return of the King for GC.  Figure I'd go ahead and bid on it either way and take the (minimal) risk, not knowing what I was going to see in my mail box.

Well it just arrived yesterday, so not only did it ship out fast, but it ended up being SSBM as pictured (even better condition copy than the one I've had for years).  No excuses or issues from the seller, something I was not expecting.

#767 tiggerkiddo

tiggerkiddo

wants your blood...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Anybody know what's up with eBay recently? Almost everything now is being sold as a BiN. Less than 10% of every item is auction.

Time for a rave instead of a rant, I recently won an auction this past weekend which I wasn't really sure what I was going to get.  Picture showed SSBM, though the description and listing category was for LOTR: Return of the King for GC.  Figure I'd go ahead and bid on it either way and take the (minimal) risk, not knowing what I was going to see in my mail box.

Well it just arrived yesterday, so not only did it ship out fast, but it ended up being SSBM as pictured (even better condition copy than the one I've had for years).  No excuses or issues from the seller, something I was not expecting.

Damn, that's a crazy deal. Nice haul.

I do mainly BiN because I've had too many issues of non paying buyers when I do auctions lately. So forget them, I'll just suck it up as far as fees are concerned.

#768 major morgan

major morgan

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Anybody know what's up with eBay recently? Almost everything now is being sold as a BiN. Less than 10% of every item is auction.

Because starting in May ebay changed the final value fee structure. The FVF on auction listing is the same as BIN - 10% of the selling price (for non-stores).

Unless a seller is hoping for a bidding war on an item, there's just more incentive to list as BIN.

*can require immediate payment

*no waiting for an auction to end (and possibly not sell)

*more likely to sell the item faster if the pricing is correct

#769 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

It's not only that the FVF structure has changed, it's that there is no listing fee for using BINs. Before it was like $0.50 a listing for the regular joe, and you had to pay it again on re-list. That was killer to me so I didn't use it.

I've gone from all auction to all BIN. For a while I was doing BIN OBO but I've moved away from that for all except my high priced "rare" items. It's not worth the lowballing and other stuff, even if you can auto-decline certain offers. But with BIN I know what I need to break even. I know what I'd like to make in net profit. It's pretty easy for me to list my items anywhere in between those two prices with a BIN and find buyers. People weren't usually receptive to that exact same listing practice with an auction.

The one thing I find is I have a lot more people watching my items, and I think the BINs lead people to just add the items to their watch list, but then they hold out to try and score cheaper on an auction or hold out hoping you'll put a discount on it, which I think only Stores can do.

#770 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

The one thing I find is I have a lot more people watching my items, and I think the BINs lead people to just add the items to their watch list, but then they hold out to try and score cheaper on an auction or hold out hoping you'll put a discount on it, which I think only Stores can do.

I've been doing all BIN for some time now, listing them for 30 days at my highest, reasonable price.  I gauge the interest by views / watches, and I'll drop the price once a week if I'm not getting enough attention.  Kind of my pseudo sale, that hopefully the watchers take note (which they have on a few of my listings).

#771 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

I've been doing all BIN for some time now, listing them for 30 days at my highest, reasonable price.  I gauge the interest by views / watches, and I'll drop the price once a week if I'm not getting enough attention.  Kind of my pseudo sale, that hopefully the watchers take note (which they have on a few of my listings).

Yeah I'll drop my prices too if I think it will move things a bit faster. I hesitate to do that too much though because I don't want to create a situation where the watchers and other interested buyers continue to hold out hoping I'll continually drop the price if they continue to play the waiting game. Because I know at a certain point my price will be more than fair (if not the cheapest on eBay), it's just a matter of getting someone who recognizes that and truly wants to Buy It Now. The one nice thing about having to "revise" the item to drop the price though is that it re-triggers the item to be included in the daily email for people who have saved searches, so you can get their attention again.

#772 xenozfan2

xenozfan2

Trippin' on apples!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Because starting in May ebay changed the final value fee structure. The FVF on auction listing is the same as BIN - 10% of the selling price (for non-stores).

Unless a seller is hoping for a bidding war on an item, there's just more incentive to list as BIN.

I think that if this keeps up it will kill ebay. Why would anyone ever put up an auction when they can price just what want? I just hate seeing everything listed as BIN and the prices are close to retail so why go through the hassle when I can just go pick it up at my local store? 

Posted Image

"Ain't nobody said I couldn't ride that bitch, so I rode that bitch."

#773 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

I think that if this keeps up it will kill ebay. Why would anyone ever put up an auction when they can price just what want? I just hate seeing everything listed as BIN and the prices are close to retail so why go through the hassle when I can just go pick it up at my local store? 

It would kill eBay if sellers don't learn their lesson. Eventually they will have to get more competitive with their pricing or continue to sit on their stock.

#774 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Unless it's a current gen game 9 times out of 10 you won't find it locally. By me all I have are gamestops, last retro store closed down a couple of years ago.

#775 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

I'll be honest. I don't pay high prices for my stuff on eBay. I try to lowball everything. I almost never pay anywhere close to what something is worth. I can't buy much anymore on eBay because everyone and their grandmother is now a fabulous entrepreneur who wants $30 for their copy of Xenogears. I don't think so.

Forgive them for not selling everything for $0.99 shipped. They don't know any better.

#776 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Usually whenever I post up an auction the initial listing is whatever I originally paid for it unless I got it super-cheap. Any movie with more than 1 disc will rarely be priced below $9.99 for me.

#777 foster1887

foster1887

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Had my first open case today from a buyer.  The item ended on the 2nd and the buyer received it on the 7th.  He opened up a case today stating that there is a hole  in the jewel case behind the cover art.  Told him just to return it for a refund.....unbelievable he had it for 2 1/2 weeks and then opens up the case.  How long does he have to return it?

#778 Cactuar777

Cactuar777

Cubs Faithful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

I bought 2 copies of Fable for $7 total the other day. The guy contacts me today saying he only had one copy which he already shipped and eBay is messed up and keeps selling more. The dumbass has over 10 copies listed (minimum) and he can't figure out how to refund. Shitty thing is I can't open a case till July 17th. Looks like CS will be getting a call very soon.

#779 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

What's his feedback score? If he's new, then maybe he's just taking your money, although I can't think of why someone would perpetrate a $3.50/game fraud.

Give him a minute. Or tell him if it's not refunded by the end of this week, then you plan on opening an item not received case (even if you can't do it until the 17th).  It may be an honest mistake, so don't condemn him too fast.

Currently playing:

Battlefield 3

ME3MP 
Fire Emblem: Awakening

My Strategy Guide TradeList

#780 Cactuar777

Cactuar777

Cubs Faithful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

What's his feedback score? If he's new, then maybe he's just taking your money, although I can't think of why someone would perpetrate a $3.50/game fraud.

Give him a minute. Or tell him if it's not refunded by the end of this week, then you plan on opening an item not received case (even if you can't do it until the 17th).  It may be an honest mistake, so don't condemn him too fast.

He's got 5 feedback and said he was relatively new to selling, but then why wouldn't he respond after I sent him a nice message explaining the refund process? You would think it would be somewhat of a priority, especially since the item is still for sale and people are still buying it. It's just weird. :/