The General eBay Rant Thread

• Please log in to reply
2045 replies to this topic

#931 mark_IV

mark_IV

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, I've known about how messed up the program is for buyers, regarding all the fees, long before it was common knowledge. In addition the shipper re-packages items to save shipping costs, ultimately causing damage which the buyer then holds the seller responsible for. In my eyes the whole program is a horrible idea and that is why, up until now, I avoided it like the plague.

Thankfully no international transactions slipped through while it went unnoticed, thanks to all of the other preferences I have set. I made the changes and they seem to have stuck so I guess it's simple to fix as long as the seller is aware they were opted in. F@%k'n ebay!!! Slipping this into a terms of use agreement is a new low!

#932 Bumslie

Bumslie

Don't Shit Where You Eat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:54 AM

Yeah, I've known about how messed up the program is for buyers regarding all the fees long before it was common knowledge. In addition the shipper re-packages items to save shipping costs, ultimately causing damage which the buyer then holds the seller responsible for. In my eyes the whole program is a horrible idea and that is why, up until now, I avoided it like the plague.

Thankfully no international transactions slipped through while it went unnoticed, thanks to all of the other preferences I have set. I made the changes and they seem to have stuck so I guess it's simple to fix as long as the seller is aware they were opted in. F@%k'n ebay!!! Slipping this into a terms of use agreement is a new low!

eBay adding the GSP into the agreement was just my guess as to why it could be activated again.  When I opted in and the International bidder didn't want to go through it. There was no charge or anything since I mailed it on my own. I know now to avoid that program like the plague. 

BumslieOG.png

#933 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

It was not activated before I accepted the agreement and was activated after. I have to wait 24 hours to opt back out.

#934 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:32 AM

I don't even know where to post this, but the bigger problem- I don't even understand what the Fuck is going on with this auction

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

discuss

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#935 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

Know this isn't eBay but tried using Amazon to sell something for the first time and couldn't believe I was missing eBay after that sale. I don't know how you're supposed to make any real money on there unless you're selling something more than $10 as I was just selling a CD for like 5 bucks and they automatically set shipping prices (lowest was $3.99) which was fine but after everything was done I made less than 5 with the 9 I made total with the added shipping. Flat rate fees can be your friend or worst enemy there as that's precisely why I didn't make squat after their fees deducted everything.

#936 Zingela

Zingela

Royal ... Santa Hat?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

I don't even know where to post this, but the bigger problem- I don't even understand what the Fuck is going on with this auction

discuss

It's a charity auction hosted by Game Grumps. On top of that, the high bidder also gets a bunch of swag with the auction.

sonicdreamcast.jpg

#937 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

Some guy wants a refund on here, can I refund him the amount he paid and then refund him whatever I see he paid  to ship when I get the item back or will ebay only let me "refund" him money once (shipping was originally free, BIN)? I'm buying the nice guy here as I know this guy is lying his ass off about what I sent him but will pay the return shipping anyway but I don't want to tell him go ahead and send it how you like and I'll compensate you for the shipping when I get it to see he chose the most expensive method. Actually, how would I go about this whole thing too as I've never had anyone have issues with me before and wanting a refund. Do I tell them to ship first and I'll refund upon getting it or do I refund first? I would think refunding first would be the more friendly approach but I know this person is lying about the item so I'm not sure if I can trust them to do their part.

#938 tonyv4

tonyv4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

Some guy wants a refund on here, can I refund him the amount he paid and then refund him whatever I see he paid  to ship when I get the item back or will ebay only let me "refund" him money once (shipping was originally free, BIN)? I'm buying the nice guy here as I know this guy is lying his ass off about what I sent him but will pay the return shipping anyway but I don't want to tell him go ahead and send it how you like and I'll compensate you for the shipping when I get it to see he chose the most expensive method. Actually, how would I go about this whole thing too as I've never had anyone have issues with me before and wanting a refund. Do I tell them to ship first and I'll refund upon getting it or do I refund first? I would think refunding first would be the more friendly approach but I know this person is lying about the item so I'm not sure if I can trust them to do their part.

I would never issue a refund before I have the item in hand unless its a partial refund and they're keeping the item. In your case, wait until you get the item back in order to ensure that you do get it back. I would just issue a complete refund but not pay for the return shipping. I'm not sure there's even a way to refund return shipping unless you send them a prepaid label.

#939 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Alright, so tell them to ship it out and I will issue a refund upon receiving it back. What if they want to be a dick about the shipping, can they force me to give them money to cover the shipping once I get it back or no? I never specified a return policy on this so I don't know what they can pull on me since I didn't establish one.

#940 Bumslie

Bumslie

Don't Shit Where You Eat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Alright, so tell them to ship it out and I will issue a refund upon receiving it back. What if they want to be a dick about the shipping, can they force me to give them money to cover the shipping once I get it back or no? I never specified a return policy on this so I don't know what they can pull on me since I didn't establish one.

Hey just did my first return on eBay buying Steelbook polybags. The seller said the would fit steelbooks but barely fit a regular Bluray. I told the seller I wanted a replacement or refund. I had to ship it back to to seller and I got refunded my original payment and shipping. You don't have to pay for the return shipping to get the product back to you. That's the buyers responsiblity to make sure the product gets back. After you receive your item back on Paypal there will be a refund button by that transaction.

BumslieOG.png

#941 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

I pay the cost to ship it back to me if there is legitimately a problem. You can't 'refund' that, I just send them the cost. But that's extremely rare because I test everything. Only had it happen once actually. I insist on the same, if there is something wrong I'm happy to send it back but I insist on the seller paying the cost, I'm not going to be out anything because they made a mistake with the item and it didn't work.

But if you're sure there is no issue I wouldn't offer to pay to send it back.

www.vg-force.com

#942 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

Blargh - I got caught on the global shipping crud. It apparently was applied to all my previous listings. 2 orders got through, so I guess I will use them as a guinea pig and see how it goes.

All I've heard is how bad it is for the buyer with fees, etc., but looking at the little ebay help page it looks like it easy and everything is covered for the buyer. Well - I guess here goes nothing with the two.

#943 Guest_KuroPansa_*

Guest_KuroPansa_*

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

So has this guy never heard of MSRP or what? And holy crap, I only just now noticed that this isn't even new, it's like new. There is nothing excellent about this auction at all, man.

#944 realbigexplosion

realbigexplosion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

So I've got a question for you guys.

I decided to unload a bunch of my stuff on ebay.  One of the things I listed is my Premier Edition of Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3.  I had a buyer contact me and tell me that he was only interested int he Warhammer code that came with the game (which I didn't use) and would prefer that I keep the physical items.  I gave him the disclaimer that the code expired in 2009, but he said he was willing to risk bidding on it.  I told him if he won I'd refund the shipping price and send him the code.

I guess my question is: Do you think I'll have any issues if he wins, the code doesn't work and I don't actually send him any of the physical goods?

Currently Playing:  :ps3: God of War   :wiiu: Super Mario 3D World (star hunting)   :3ds: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds   :pc: To the Moon

Recently Finished:  :ps3: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen    :3ds: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon    :pc: Gone Home

#945 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

I would mail the code paper rather than e-mail it that way they can't open an item not received dispute.

#946 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

So I've got a question for you guys.

I decided to unload a bunch of my stuff on ebay.  One of the things I listed is my Premier Edition of Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3.  I had a buyer contact me and tell me that he was only interested int he Warhammer code that came with the game (which I didn't use) and would prefer that I keep the physical items.  I gave him the disclaimer that the code expired in 2009, but he said he was willing to risk bidding on it.  I told him if he won I'd refund the shipping price and send him the code.

I guess my question is: Do you think I'll have any issues if he wins, the code doesn't work and I don't actually send him any of the physical goods?

I don't know, it might go well or he just might try to screw you. I don't believe selling codes digitally is permitted (I think you can mail the paper), so there's that working against you. Even with the disclaimers the code might not work, he might find a way to prevail in an eBay dispute. It seems strange he's willing to pay full price for the code and forgo the whole physical game. You might have been better off pulling your listing, negotiating a price and putting up a separate BIN for the code just for him, then selling the physical stuff in a separate auction.

#947 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

How much is the code worth? If it's $20 or more I would tell him that you have to physically ship it but that you'd be willing to send a scan of it through eBay messaging once you create a label.

By doing this he would look stupid if he opened a SNAD case for "It' doesn't work... durrrr" while the item is still in transit and because you create a shipping label (presumably from eBay) prior to sending him the code he'd at least have to wait until he received the package to say it didn't work.

And because you shipped it (with delivery confirmation/tracking) he would NOT be able to file a Item Not Received (INR) dipsute (assuming it is delivered) and you would win an unauthorized use chargeback assuming you ship it to the address on the PayPal invoice.

But the gorilla in the room is and always is fraudulent SNAD complaints. Nothing will ever protect you against that but if you do things right you'd at least make him have to work for it and to successfully win one he'd have to mail you something back. A lot of low rent scammers don't want to be bothered with having to mail something back and potentially commit mail fraud.

#948 realbigexplosion

realbigexplosion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well, he's bid $15 for just the code.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I'll probably physically mail him the codes if he wins just so I have a record showing that I sent him something.  I'll give him the codes beforehand, though.

Currently Playing:  :ps3: God of War   :wiiu: Super Mario 3D World (star hunting)   :3ds: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds   :pc: To the Moon

Recently Finished:  :ps3: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen    :3ds: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon    :pc: Gone Home

#949 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Well, he's bid $15 for just the code.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I'll probably physically mail him the codes if he wins just so I have a record showing that I sent him something.  I'll give him the codes beforehand, though.

That's exactly what I would do too, but as stated above, just make sure you have tracking included, otherwise it would be pointless.  The cheapest first class with tracking would be around $1.50 or so.

Seems like a bit much just to send a piece of paper, but does anyone else use a cheaper method with tracking for sending very light (3 oz or less) packages?

#950 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

That's exactly what I would do too, but as stated above, just make sure you have tracking included, otherwise it would be pointless.  The cheapest first class with tracking would be around $1.50 or so.

Seems like a bit much just to send a piece of paper, but does anyone else use a cheaper method with tracking for sending very light (3 oz or less) packages?

I don't know of one. I remember reading about certain post offices doing test runs of a tracking slip that could be put on standard first class mail (non packages = envelops, flats, etc.) for like an additional $.29 or so which would be the way to go in this situation but I don't think that program has launched yet (if it ever will).

Now.. I have a quick story.

I sold an AC Liberation Vita bundle to a buyer about 10 days ago. I bought it from Best Buy at $199.99 after the price drop  and used a combination of RZ certs and Gift Cards that I wanted to burn. I put it up at ~ $280.xx on eBay and it sold very quickly.

I packed it very well, insured it and shipped it to the buyer the next day and two days later he received it.

Now two or three days after he received it the buyer contacted me and stated that the screen wasn't working properly. Because I feared a scam I let him know that I was aware I sent him unit S/N xxxxxxxx and that if he were to open a case or return this unit I would need to receive unit S/N xxxxxxxxx back.

I do offer the suggested 14 day returns on all my listings but I almost exclusively only ever sell brand/new sealed units and I put a caveat in the listing that if the item is new it must be returned new---meaning I don't accept returns on opened items.

Well I wasn't going to stand my ground with this because all the buyer had to do was open a SNAD case and I'd be accepting the return whether I liked it or not so I told him that if the screen wasn't working the unit was under warranty and I'd help pass along the original receipt so he could send it back to Sony. I also explained to him that Sony used OLED screens that typically show "bleeding" when the screen is completely black and that this is normal and not a defect per se. He was adamant that it was a problem with a dead pixel and that he wanted to return it.

At this point I just said fine, return it, and as long as I get Unit S/N xxxxxxx back I'll issue you a refund. Today I received the unit back and it is the same unit. He didn't switch it out and it doesn't appear like he tampered with it in any way. I turned it on and played with it a little and the screen is absolutely perfect. In fact it looks better then both my 3G Launch vita and the AC vita I bought for my girlfriend.

It doesn't really make any sense for me to send it back as the buyer can still open a case later on but I'm a little pissed because at this point I'm stuck with something that is worth considerably less because it's been open/used--even if just for a short period of time. If I had to guess I'd say that he didn't realize these were now $199.99 and he found one locally. He did play it as it has his PSN ID on it as well as the AC game installed.

Anyways I guess I'll just refund him. I'm not paying his return shipping costs though. What would you guys do with the vita now if you were in my shoes? There is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell so I'm not going to send it to Sony (no screen problems to fix) and I'd feel dirty trying to make up something so I could return it to Best Buy (my local BB is very good to me).

I guess that just leaves reselling it in a lesser condition for a less amount of money?

P.S. I know he isn't trying to really scam me because he didn't send it back with signature confirmation which would be required because it was valued at over $250. Just buyer's remorse I guess.

#951 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

Buy a bunch of stuff on his PSN account?

#952 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

Wow that is so annoying.  Buyer's remorse seems like the case.  In the end, I think it's just going to come down to the cost of doing business.  I'm pretty sure Best Buy's return policy includes opened consoles so I'm sure you're fine within your Silver return policy.  I would opt for that route.  Does it suck to do that to Best Buy? Sure.  But you aren't scamming them since it's an obvious open item return they'll take in.  I would just do it at a Best Buy that you do not frequent.  I would send a stern email to the buyer about your observation with the screen and just remind him how he screwed you in a guilt trip sort of way.  Behavior like that shouldn't go unnoticed.  In the off chance eBay would help you out, could you possibly raise this issue with eBay customer service to see what their advice/recourse would be? At worst, they tell you to just keep the return.  But at least they could possibly make a note about the buyer for future cases? Supposedly eBay has cracked down on fraudulent buyers so I would think they would have some tracking mechanism for buyers in your case. 

If you are feeling vindictive enough, like lmz said you could just buy up a bunch of digital purchases if he saved his password on there.  Once the buyer disputes the charges, Sony would ban his PSN and possibly Vita? You can argue you were never the guilty party since there was no signature confirmation anyway.  Any person could have just taken your package.  I'm sorry I don't actively condone screwing any company/individual injustly but to me this qualifies as return fraud and you could make a case that the only person that should be punished is the guy that committed it.

Any update on the other scammer claiming the missing game?

Now playing:

:ps4: Destiny
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: The Walking Dead Season Two: Episode 3

#953 major morgan

major morgan

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

I sold a game 3 weeks ago and sent it out the next day via First Class Mail but it wound up going missing along the way.

From what I can see, the parcel has never shown up in the delivery confirmation tracking system. But when I've called the USPS - they apparently have it showing up in their system. Interesting.

It still hasn't turned up yet though, so I'm feeling resigned to it being lost forever. It was an inexpensive game so I'm not fuming over it, but what are the chances the USPS gives me back the value of the game + shipping if I didn't purchase insurance on it?

#954 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

That return I mentioned about a week ago...I still haven't received the item back. Let's just assume the buyer did send it back but it got lost or something else. If he was stupid enough to not buy tracking, will eBay let this go since he can't prove he sent it or whatever (since they use the exact same thing against us sellers in disputes where claim item never shipped)? Or if that's the case can the person just escalate the case to Paypal or whatever the next step after a case is and just use his lie against me and regardless of whether or not he shipped it he gets an instat refund?

#955 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

It still hasn't turned up yet though, so I'm feeling resigned to it being lost forever. It was an inexpensive game so I'm not fuming over it, but what are the chances the USPS gives me back the value of the game + shipping if I didn't purchase insurance on it?

They're not going to refund you the value of the game, as that's what insurance is for.  That would be like saying that you want a replacement on something through an extended warranty, even though you never purchased said warranty.

This might be one that you have to consider it a loss, as Ebay sees it as the seller's responsibility to insure it gets to the buyer.

#956 major morgan

major morgan

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

They're not going to refund you the value of the game, as that's what insurance is for.  That would be like saying that you want a replacement on something through an extended warranty, even though you never purchased said warranty.

This might be one that you have to consider it a loss, as Ebay sees it as the seller's responsibility to insure it gets to the buyer.

I figured. The USPS guy I spoke to said to file a claim - not sure if this would be any different from the claim I filed 2 weeks ago or not...

What I don't get is what good is filing a claim now if it does nothing for me or the buyer. At worst, I should be thankful this was a $10 game and not something that was truly rare/valuable - though I would have insured those. 

c'est la vie

#957 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

I figured. The USPS guy I spoke to said to file a claim - not sure if this would be any different from the claim I filed 2 weeks ago or not...

What I don't get is what good is filing a claim now if it does nothing for me or the buyer. At worst, I should be thankful this was a $10 game and not something that was truly rare/valuable - though I would have insured those. 

c'est la vie

I had something like this happen back in Jan./Feb..   They tell you to file a claim, so they know what to look for.  As that claim might reveal that one sorting facility is been really lazy and will get punished if caught.  It also might catch some thieving employee that has been stealing stuff at a facility.  Usually if they find the package or what happened to it, they'll have a postmaster near you call to notify you.

As for the 2 weeks, not sure why tell people to wait that long.

#958 Bumslie

Bumslie

Don't Shit Where You Eat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

What's up with eBay letting people have PRIVATE feedback ratings. I sold some shirts and this guy bought 3 of them. He has a feedback score over 640 and its 100%. The problem is they haven't paid and when you look at the feedback it's all Private. I've tried contacting the buyer still no response. Now I opened a non paying case but have to wait 4 days when I know this guy isn't going to pay. Luckily the bidders underneath him are interested in my items.

I think the buyer decided not to like my Priority Mail shipping in the United States which I could of changed if they asked.

Note to CAGs before you toss your old clothes sell them on eBay if they are wanted. I've been making a killing on old shirts lately.

BumslieOG.png

#959 Not Eric

Not Eric

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

Anyone try out ebay's voucher program for sellers? Sell an item, get a voucher for the full amount and not have to pay Paypal or ebay fees.

Wondering if anyone else has used it and if so, how it's worked out for them. Not selling something terribly expensive so saving a couple bucks to have to spend the sale proceeds on ebay doesn't seem too bad, but that's assuming it's an easy process.

NotRic.png

#960 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Note to CAGs before you toss your old clothes sell them on eBay if they are wanted. I've been making a killing on old shirts lately.

My brother and his then girlfriend used to do that pretty extensively, buying from the local thrift stores for flipping.  It's amazing what people will pay just to have a brand name.