The General eBay Rant Thread

• Please log in to reply
2166 replies to this topic

#181 Rozz

Rozz

We Trippy Mane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm selling my copy of Xenoblade for $100 on eBay. Some knucklehead messaged me asking me to sell it to him privately for $60, free shipping. He then posted a link to an auction from early November saying "See, this is what the game is *really* selling for". Damn scammers. I'm starting to dislike eBay, as a seller.

That type of stuff is peanuts compared to what can go wrong after selling the item. Most transactions go fine, but eventually it seems like everyone runs into a scammer of some sort (say, someone returning a different item back to you than what you sent... and then leaving bad feedback to boot).

#182 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm selling my copy of Xenoblade for $100 on eBay. Some knucklehead messaged me asking me to sell it to him privately for $60, free shipping. He then posted a link to an auction from early November saying "See, this is what the game is *really* selling for". Damn scammers. I'm starting to dislike eBay, as a seller.

lmao... Sounds like a user here on CAG, he offered me $60 for my 999 promo watch acting stupid like he didn't know they were selling for at the time for around $150-$200 new. His excuse was that's how much he almost won it for, he's going wish he did.

#183 Taren Fox

Taren Fox

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e6d8d7d0a

Check it out! For only $1,500 (+$15 ship) you can buy a used PS1 and a random grab bag of "over 100" games and accessories. Should I use buy it now? I'm afraid someone will scoop this up when I'm out tonight.

#184 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

The problem with ebay is the scalpers and resellers who think their crap is gold and price it as such, this show won't make much of a difference, if anything it'll just help the bubble burst faster. Of course, it doesn't help that eBay allows sellers to keep their overpriced listings up in perpetuity, with no incentive to lower their price, that's why you see so many overpriced listings for crap, they're just resellers fishing for a mark who doesn't know any better.

It just takes a couple of imbeciles with an ebay account to make everyone an imbecile. Before you know it you can sell someone a piece of toast in the shape of Jesus Christ and ebay will create a market for it.

Resellers have ruined ebay. People price gouge items on there when the product can be bought for MSRP retail still. Perfect example is the Zelda book. It was selling at a scalper premium while you could still buy it for retail price. Of course that's over now.

needler420.png

#185 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

As much as people hate ebay to sell their stuff, I doubt many would consider selling to a CHEAP ass gamer here..

Ebay buyers may try to ask for a lower amount, but it hasn't come close to some of the CAg'ers who looking to buy stuff. Take Ebay over a CAG'er here anyday

#186 edson13

edson13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

I get this sometimes. People message me semi-insulting for wanting to sell something at a certain price, and then follow it up by asking if I can do them a favor by selling it to them for what would be a loss to me. Like really, where do people learn to interact nowadays?

#187 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Like really, where do people learn to interact nowadays?

After watching that Extreme Cheapskates show and seeing a guy trying to negotiate the price at a Burger King drive through, I'm not surprised by this kind of thing on eBay.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#188 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

As much as people hate ebay to sell their stuff, I doubt many would consider selling to a CHEAP ass gamer here..

Ebay buyers may try to ask for a lower amount, but it hasn't come close to some of the CAg'ers who looking to buy stuff. Take Ebay over a CAG'er here anyday

Up to this point I don't think I've agreed with a single thing you've posted on CAG but I whole heartedly agree with this.

I love the community. Would do what I could to help out a poster but I try to avoid listing things for sale on here. I'll trade; I'll buy; But I do not like selling on CAG.

#189 te619

te619

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I bought Nintendo Land for $16.50 including shipping. It was a bit under what it has been selling for, so I thought I got lucky. Then the next day I get my payment refunded with a note saying Sorry I lost it. I kinda think it got "lost" because it didn't sell for as much as seanmcbayPosted Imagewanted :(

#190 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

After watching that Extreme Cheapskates show and seeing a guy trying to negotiate the price at a Burger King drive through, I'm not surprised by this kind of thing on eBay.

That's nothing compared to the guy who asked random people for their leftover food at a restaurant after he was done eating, and his wife was at the table too.

I know this stuff is probably staged and yes I am an extremely cheap person but I would NEVER think of doing something like that ever, there is a difference between cheap and frugal....

As far as ebay goes people are sending me offers all the time which is extremely annoying, but my items still sell for their asking prices...

#191 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

People love to complain, when I get stupid messages from buyers like that I just ignore and block them. A couple of months ago I was selling a Platinum Hits game for $25 shipped and got a message from someone saying "just so you know, the retail price on platinum hits games are $19.99" Or when I was selling some PS2 demo discs that I got for free in the mail from Sony and someone sent me a message saying they were free items and I was ripping off people by trying to sell them

Edit, I was going through some more messages I got over the years:

Someone asking if I would take trades
Someone else asking $10 shipped for a game I had listed for $15 then asked if I will refund if the game arrvives and doesn't play

"

POT MEETS THE KETTLE.... ( not directed at you per say )

I posted some stuff on the sell forum at CAG and imagine that... it feels just like ebay but WORST.

So how did it feel dealing with basically a possible CAG'er?

#192 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

The problem with ebay is the scalpers and resellers who think their crap is gold and price it as such, this show won't make much of a difference, if anything it'll just help the bubble burst faster. Of course, it doesn't help that eBay allows sellers to keep their overpriced listings up in perpetuity, with no incentive to lower their price, that's why you see so many overpriced listings for crap, they're just resellers fishing for a mark who doesn't know any better.

It just takes a couple of imbeciles with an ebay account to make everyone an imbecile. Before you know it you can sell someone a piece of toast in the shape of Jesus Christ and ebay will create a market for it.

Resellers have ruined ebay. People price gouge items on there when the product can be bought for MSRP retail still. Perfect example is the Zelda book. It was selling at a scalper premium while you could still buy it for retail price. Of course that's over now.

It's a free market dude. And if you are the rightful owner of something you could choose whatever price you wish to sell it at. No one is forcing you to buy/sell anything. Anyways if it's priced too high then it doesn't sell, that's how a free market works.

#193 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'd sell here over Ebay any day. People know what stuff is worth, and for the most part aren't going to try to rip you off. Sure you get a bit less, but you aren't paying fees, and you can ensure that there isn't going to be any issues by communicating with the person, so in the long run it absolutely evens out.

Posted Image

#194 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

These are always a personal favorite (Keep in mind buyer paid Saturday evening):

I do not even have a shipping # and it has been two days since I bought it...I am wondering what is going on because I am hoping to have it for a birthday and it is not even shipped yet...

Let's remember that most sellers don't ship Saturday's (I do; but her purchase was made well after the post office closed), Sunday the post office is ALWAYS closed and today is a Federal Holiday (i.e. Post Office closed).

#195 247

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

One of my items just sold. The buyer only has 3 feedback, his latest feedback was way back in 2010. I clearly listed that the buyer must have at least 10 feedback but I guess he didn't listen. Can I refund his money? Will I be charged for ebay/paypal fees? Can he leave me negative feedback? Or should I just ship the item?

#196 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

One of my items just sold. The buyer only has 3 feedback, his latest feedback was way back in 2010. I clearly listed that the buyer must have at least 10 feedback but I guess he didn't listen. Can I refund his money? Will I be charged for ebay/paypal fees? Can he leave me negative feedback? Or should I just ship the item?

What did you sell?

I would personally sell the item. I do a lot of zero feedback sales and don't have problems but you need to be comfortable with the decision.

If he has already paid he will be able to leave feedback no matter what.

You can refund him but you will only get your eBay fees back if he agrees to a mutual cancellation request for that transaction (you can open one after refunded him). If he does not agree you will be out your fees.

Even if he does agree he still can leave negative feedback.

#197 247

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I'll probably just sell it. It's a wii games , sold for $50.

#198 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

I have a Disc only copy of Dark Cloud 2 up, and on Friday I had someone message me asking if I would take $1.50 shipped for it as a disc only game is virtually trash.

#199 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

These are always a personal favorite (Keep in mind buyer paid Saturday evening):

I do not even have a shipping # and it has been two days since I bought it...I am wondering what is going on because I am hoping to have it for a birthday and it is not even shipped yet...

Let's remember that most sellers don't ship Saturday's (I do; but her purchase was made well after the post office closed), Sunday the post office is ALWAYS closed and today is a Federal Holiday (i.e. Post Office closed).

I sold Mario Galaxy pt. 1 to a kid a couple of years ago on eBay on the President's Day weekend too i think. Same exact message except he left it as a neg feedback instead of messaging me. I responded "how the hell do you expect me to ship an item out the day the post office is closed. Plus not everybody ships the first day possible anyways." Had to submit a revised feedback form and kid finally changed it. What's absurd is how eBay limits your feedback revision as if that's indicative of problems within your control :roll:

Now playing:

:ps4: Last of Us: Remastered
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Gears of War 3

#200 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

I have a Disc only copy of Dark Cloud 2 up, and on Friday I had someone message me asking if I would take $1.50 shipped for it as a disc only game is virtually trash.

I wonder if it's the same person mentioned on the previous page, that sent a message to a seller complaining about a disc only Xenoblade listing.

#201 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

I had a guy offer me a Skyrim Download card for a new copy of BF3 Premium. The Skyrim gets about $25 and BF3 was getting me about $40. I told him I already had Skyrim so I did not need it. He writes me back and says I could just sell the Skyrim card. I was like I am already selling the BF3 so why would I trade it with you just to have to sell your stuff. I told him to sell it himself and buy BF3 if that is what he wanted.

Update. So far I have heard nothing back from my Prototype 2 scammer after I agreed to pay for the return but asked him to provide a tracking #. I am pretty sure he was just trying to get me to send him another game.

#202 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

Update. So far I have heard nothing back from my Prototype 2 scammer after I agreed to pay for the return but asked him to provide a tracking #. I am pretty sure he was just trying to get me to send him another game.

Since eBay as FINALLY started taking a serious look at bad buyer behavior a lot of buyers are on thin ice for opening too many claims.

What you'll start seeing now is buyers trying to get sellers to offer concessions or replacements.

Good for you for standing up for yourself. In almost every situation it should always be "...return for refund". That forces the buyers to decide if opening a claim or initiating a fraudulent return is worth being able to use eBay.

#203 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

Since eBay as FINALLY started taking a serious look at bad buyer behavior a lot of buyers are on thin ice for opening too many claims.

What you'll start seeing now is buyers trying to get sellers to offer concessions or replacements.

Good for you for standing up for yourself. In almost every situation it should always be "...return for refund". That forces the buyers to decide if opening a claim or initiating a fraudulent return is worth being able to use eBay.

Hey thanks. So I had a little surprise today when I checked my account. I am now a "power seller" according to Ebay. I am not sure exactly what I did to earn it but I am sure it won't last long. I am not planning to sell like I have been the last 2 months but it cannot hurt going forward to have that little symbol next to my name.

#204 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hey thanks. So I had a little surprise today when I checked my account. I am now a "power seller" according to Ebay. I am not sure exactly what I did to earn it but I am sure it won't last long. I am not planning to sell like I have been the last 2 months but it cannot hurt going forward to have that little symbol next to my name.

You have to sell at least $1000 a month average for the last quarter for the minimum rank of bronze power seller.

#205 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

You have to sell at least $1000 a month average for the last quarter for the minimum rank of bronze power seller.

http://pages.ebay.co...wersellers.html

What are the requirements?

To qualify for the PowerSeller program, sellers need to consistently sell a significant volume of items, provide a high level of service to their buyers, maintain a positive Feedback score, and meet the requirements for detailed seller ratings and eBay Buyer Protection and PayPal Buyer Protection case standards. Membership in the program is free.

You don't need to apply for the PowerSeller program. If you qualify, you'll automatically be included. Just check your Seller Dashboard to see if you've achieved PowerSeller status. PowerSeller levels include Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Titanium depending on the number of items you've sold or the dollar amount of your sales.

If you're not a PowerSeller yet, you can always work your way up by meeting these requirements:
Be registered with eBay for at least 90 days.
Have an account in good standing.
Maintain a positive Feedback of 98% or higher over the past 12 months.
Follow all eBay policies.
Have a minimum of 100 transactions and $3,000 in sales with US buyers over the past 12 months.
Receive at least a 4.60 average from US buyers across all 4 detailed seller ratings (DSRs).
For all transactions with US buyers, have no more than 1.00% of transactions with low DSRs (1s or 2s) on item as described, and a maximum of 2.00% of low DSRs on communication, shipping time, and shipping and handling cost.
For all transactions with US buyers, have no more than 1.00% of transactions result in opened eBay Buyer Protection and PayPal Buyer Protection cases, and no more than 0.30% of transactions result in closed cases without seller resolution.
If your account falls below these requirements, you may lose your PowerSeller status.

#206 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Does anyone know what the cheapest way is to ship a single strategy guide? I have quite a few guides to sell and I need to start selling them since they are taking up space here and I am not using them. These guides are over 12 ounces so they don't qualify for first class mail. From discussion on here guides do not qualify for media mail for some reason. So what is the cheapest way to ship them? I do not mind providing my own packaging to ship them.

#207 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Does anyone know what the cheapest way is to ship a single strategy guide? I have quite a few guides to sell and I need to start selling them since they are taking up space here and I am not using them. These guides are over 12 ounces so they don't qualify for first class mail. From discussion on here guides do not qualify for media mail for some reason. So what is the cheapest way to ship them? I do not mind providing my own packaging to ship them.

Media Mail is a gray area; certainly video games don't qualify for media mail. Out of curiosity what disqualifies game guides? I know if it has advertisements then its out....

Something you could look into is the Priority Mail Regional A Boxes (the ones that open from the side not the top). They are good size for guides and you should be able to ship something anywhere in the country in 2-3 days for between $5.xx and $9.xx (depending on which zone its going to you---the shorter the distance the cheaper the rate) regardless of the weight. Obviously it wouldn't be helpful for a $1 guide but you should be able to fit 2 or 3 depending on how you pack them.

#208 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Where did you hear that? Media Mail works fine for guide, unless you got someone mistake it for a magazine.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#209 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I guess I will have to ship all my guides media mail now, I will check them for advertisements before I send them but since they feel like books in the package I don't think they will be disqualified. I don't have $1 guides, I have a ton of Pokemon guides to sell which I am not using due to either finishing the games or because a better guide is available online. These are single guides, I am not shipping guides with games, if I was shipping the game with the guide I would put it under priority mail or standard parcel shipping.

#210 major morgan

major morgan

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

IIRC, gohastings has sent me guides via media mail before. I'm looking to do the same myself because I have guides laying around for games I no longer wish to play or no longer have. I'm curious to see what the consensus on this is.

From USPS website
The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind.

As always, wording is open to interpretation. It could possibly be either:
1. The material cannot contain any playable video games, though it can be about/related to them - as long as there is no advertisements inside.
2. The material cannot contain anything video game related (games or written content)

Hopefully it's the first one.

Where did you hear that? Media Mail works fine for guide, unless you got someone mistake it for a magazine.

Are you speaking from experience? I'm curious about shipping guides via Media Mail as well.