The General eBay Rant Thread

• Please log in to reply
2028 replies to this topic

#211 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Ok I am going to ship them media mail, I changed all my auctions to reflect the new pricing. There will be no physical games in the packages and there will be no advertisements.

As far as the no video game materials. I am sure that there are books about video games that are also educational, I have read several myself. Here are 2 quick examples from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...rds=video games

http://www.amazon.co...rds=video games

I am sure they don't want you shipping comic books or magazines because they contain advertising.

I am pretty sure that the statement from the USPS means no physical games, as it doesn't specifically exclude books about video games. I think previously you were allowed to send video games and electronic media through media mail especially if it was computer software.

#212 major morgan

major morgan

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Not that it affects me much because I sell so few items on eBay and am not a power seller, but someone recently had the gall to give me less than 5 stars on shipping speed. Do they really expect items to get cross-country over night? I don't even take longer than 24 hours from payment to get it in the mail.

Once it's in USPS's hands, I don't see why they don't understand I have no control on how long it takes to get there. I offer Free Shipping on my items so I'm sure as hell not going to pay for more than First Class Mail for a game/blu ray.

On another note: is it only me, or do a majority of ebay buyers live in the Central/Eastern time zones? I feel like 85+% of my buyers come from there.

#213 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

First class probably won't help you much on the speed of delivery with a game as the game could still take 2-5 days to get there even with priority mail. Apparently the seller is now responsible for getting the items to the buyers, so in theory we are responsible for the actions of the USPS, which is impossible but ebay has many policies that are simply impossible for sellers to fulfill.

#214 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I sent over a hundred guides over the year by media mail and never had a problem. Many CAG did the same.

The website is saying you can't send video games, not books about video games.

Majority of the people live in the Central/Eastern time zone so thats normal.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#215 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Has anyone ever tried to do a chargeback on PayPal against the USPS for failing to deliver a package or perform a service like Signature Confirmation? I haven't looked into any fine text or agreements you implicitly agree to by purchasing your postage through eBay/PayPal, so I wouldn't be surprised if they disallowed that.

#216 Hemi

Hemi

One with the never-ending backlog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Well if you wanna chargeback the government go ahead... Not recommended. Also, I'm a powerseller too now, AND a top rated seller!

#217 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

Well if you wanna chargeback the government go ahead... Not recommended.

I hate this mentality , government is your employee.

If USPS didn't provide the service that you paid for than you should be refunded. But getting money back from USPS is a very tough task.

#218 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

I was curious about the guides being sent Media Mail too since I have started to go through guides I have and no longer want and plan to list them soon. I bought bubble mailers at Sams Club that will fit the guides for around $10 for a 25 pack and plan to ship them media mail. My only issue is delivery time since I'm on the east coast and if someone from the west coast buys the guide, delivery could take over a week and hurt my DSRs.

I had someone complain in December for very slow shipping since it was 10 days to be delivered and that was with 1st class and shipping the item out the next day so that's why I wasn't sure if I want to use media mail or not for the guides but if I sell a guide for $8 to $10 shipped, I can't afford to spend $5 to ship it Priority in a flat rate envelope.

#219 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yoshi what size mailer did you get? TIA

#220 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

On another note: is it only me, or do a majority of ebay buyers live in the Central/Eastern time zones? I feel like 85+% of my buyers come from there.

That's really bizarre, because I'm on the east coast and it seems like 75% of my items go to California :V

Posted Image

#221 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Yoshi what size mailer did you get? TIA

10 1/2" x 15"
http://m.samsclub.co...15-25-pk/162594

#222 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

That's really bizarre, because I'm on the east coast and it seems like 75% of my items go to California :V

A year or so ago their was a conspiracy theory that eBay manipulated the search result servers so that buyers on the east coast were only seeing listings from sellers on the west coast and vice versa.

People were convincing themselves that eBay did this to make a little extra profit of each sale now that they charge fees on the shipping costs.

#223 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Same here I am on the east coast and I get a ton of buyers from CA and the west coast

#224 twiceborn

twiceborn

SAY WHAT?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Most of the items I sell are to people on the east coast and California too. What I find odd is that I don't think I've ever sold anything to someone in the north-west.

"When I die, I want to go just like my grandpa, peacefully and in my sleep,... not kicking and screaming like all of his passengers."

Joker: It seems he finally took the stick out of his a#*, but now he wants to beat people to death with it.

#225 MRW2276

MRW2276

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

A year or so ago their was a conspiracy theory that eBay manipulated the search result servers so that buyers on the east coast were only seeing listings from sellers on the west coast and vice versa.

People were convincing themselves that eBay did this to make a little extra profit of each sale now that they charge fees on the shipping costs.

I thought the rolling blackout stuff was an ongoing issue for years now. Not because of shipping, but due to server space. Remember back in the day ebay use to go down for a few hours a week (usually late on Thursday nights)? I can say from my experiences I wouldn't doubt blackouts are true. As the one event I witnesses a few years back convinced me. After never having an order from P. Rico I get 3 in one night. I mean if it was a huge state like CA I could see, but three unrelated people on different types of items? Also I definately see a state pattern overall how my sales come in.

#226 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

Thanks yosh

Same here I am on the east coast and I get a ton of buyers from CA and the west coast

Me too, I'm in FL. and most of my shit goes to Cali.

Last 5 sales

CA
CA
NV
APO
CA

#227 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

75% of my packages go to Cali and Texas and I almost never sell anything to New England. Though during the huge snowstorm a couple weeks ago 34 of the 52 items I sold that day were to Massachusetts.

#228 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I have sold to all over the US and I do get a lot of international buyers, so its not like 75% of my buyers over the years are in one region,though I just think video games are more popular in CA than they are in say... Wyoming.

#229 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

I think it's one in nine people live in CA in the whole United States.

#230 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Small insignificant rant, but I just find it funny. Someone won my auction this past weekend, and they still haven't paid. I messaged them as a kind reminder to pay the invoice so I can ship out asap (games are good to go), and they let me know that they don't get paid until next week, so they will give me the funds then (buyer has good ratings btw).

I'm just curious if $25 is going to set you back enough to wait until payday, why are you spending your money on video games in the first place?

Also, I do notice that about 70% of my auctions go east coast and I'm in west coast.

#231 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Those of you who primarily sell in auction style format have much more patience then I ever will. I do think that auction style listings are better suited for used items but I don't have the patience to wait for someone to pay so outside a few exceptions (rare items where I don't want to cap the value because it hasn't been defined) I don't bother with auction listings anymore.

When I do run auction listings I've noticed international buyers pay almost immediately; it's the domestic buyers that like to stretch the payment window but that is probably more indicative of our "buy now pay later" culture in the United States.

#232 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Auctions help move sales faster though.

#233 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Auctions help move sales faster though.

Sure, that is absolutely correct (assuming the buyer pays; if not you have to wait 4 days before opening an Unpaid Item Dispute and then another 8 days before you can close that dispute).

But unless you're moving or need money if you have a sense of what something will sell for you should be able to list it at a fixed price and still have it move.

#234 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Those of you who primarily sell in auction style format have much more patience then I ever will. I do think that auction style listings are better suited for used items but I don't have the patience to wait for someone to pay so outside a few exceptions (rare items where I don't want to cap the value because it hasn't been defined) I don't bother with auction listings anymore.

When I do run auction listings I've noticed international buyers pay almost immediately; it's the domestic buyers that like to stretch the payment window but that is probably more indicative of our "buy now pay later" culture in the United States.

I practically price my listings at good BIN prices, with the 10% discount on the auction price (the most you can list them on). That way, most all of my auctions are still done BIN, and I only take a 9% Ebay fee cut instead of a 13% if I used a fixed price BIN without auction.

Occasionally someone will bid on the auction price instead of BIN, but I'm a pretty patient guy. I just find it funny that they need to wait until they paid, which is either a lame excuse, or a sad truth.

#235 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Sure, that is absolutely correct (assuming the buyer pays; if not you have to wait 4 days before opening an Unpaid Item Dispute and then another 8 days before you can close that dispute).

But unless you're moving or need money if you have a sense of what something will sell for you should be able to list it at a fixed price and still have it move.

Also if you sell an auction item for about $100 or less, you actually save on eBay fees via auction format (assuming BIN price is the same). $100 is the breakeven point for me to consider auction vs. BIN listings assuming the final sale price will be equal.

#236 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Small insignificant rant, but I just find it funny. Someone won my auction this past weekend, and they still haven't paid. I messaged them as a kind reminder to pay the invoice so I can ship out asap (games are good to go), and they let me know that they don't get paid until next week, so they will give me the funds then (buyer has good ratings btw).

I'm just curious if $25 is going to set you back enough to wait until payday, why are you spending your money on video games in the first place?

Also, I do notice that about 70% of my auctions go east coast and I'm in west coast.

This happens to me all the time, I really have no problem honoring these requests as long as I am informed by the buyer. However I do wonder about these people, one time I had a girl buying these pencils from me, don't ask I sell a lot of obscure things, from CA and she kept buying them, and she was like, I will pay after I get my next check. It was so funny because she was buying these $25 hello kitty/sanrio pencils from me and obviously using every last dollar she had to buy them.

Its probably a lot of people who live with their parents and work a part time job and they are spending all their part time job money on some items or video games.

#237 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

One rant of mine is this: other sellers lowering the price by one fricking penny or even lowering it a few dollars just so they can try to unload their item before everybody else.

One time I had one game on sale and I matched the lowest available BIN price. The seller who had 10+ copies of it lowered his price by $2 and sold a bunch of copies before I sold mine. When I eventually sold mine he hiked his price back up $5 to the next lowest BIN price. lol. If he was smart he'd have just let me sell mine and he would have sold all of his copies close to his original sales price. My one listing ended up costing him at least $20 if not more. So I guess my rant is more about the idiotic behavior of some fellow sellers. A simply grasp of supply vs. demand concepts would go a long way in understanding that buyers will eventually pay for the items listed - just be patient. no need to lower your profit margins. lol Jesus.

Edited by Donut2922, 24 February 2013 - 12:41 AM.

Now playing:

:ps4: Destiny
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: The Walking Dead Season Two: Episode 3

#238 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

Some of these wholesalers get there stuff cheap though, I'm guessing they make their money on volume vs. how much they can milk it for. I can't imagine how some of these people make money on new releases. I really don't mind though as a buyer I'm always looking for the better deal.

#239 Taren Fox

Taren Fox

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Some of these wholesalers get there stuff cheap though, I'm guessing they make their money on volume vs. how much they can milk it for. I can't imagine how some of these people make money on new releases. I really don't mind though as a buyer I'm always looking for the better deal.

You don't want to tie your money up for too long. Giving up 5% of your profit for a quick sale is worth it if you are looking to unload a bunch of inventory.

#240 Hemi

Hemi

One with the never-ending backlog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

I have an ebay Confession, I sometimes bid the $1 to assassinate the BIN option on auction's, lol, It's rather harmless but I find it ammusing.