Photo
- - - - -

Ok mods, what's the deal with my temp bans?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#31 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

That CAG is notoriously absent from this thread which only further fits with his passive aggressive nature.

I just don't have much to add to this discussion. I've made my POV very clear - I will continue to mark posts that I feel cross the line of decency - and that includes posts accusing me of sexually assaulting children.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#32 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Can all mods at least see all bans? Not like it would change if not, but it should work that way just to keep people in check if necessary.

Yes.

#33 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

:rofl: I learned back in elementary school that the kids to avoid were the ones who went crying to teacher the minute things didn't go their way. I further learned that most of those kids were also the ones that liked to put themselves into a position to be able to go cry to teacher. Who knows what drives that type of behavior? Narcissism, anti-social personality, inferiority complex, or just plain doesn't play well with others?

At any rate, interacting with those people directly just isn't worth it. Of course, that lack of willingness to interact with them only leads them to further indignant outbursts but sometimes when Lucy holds the football the best thing to do is just not acknowledge the game she's playing.

#34 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well I have resisted using my ignore button on certain people since I have personally not had a problem but after reading through this thread I decided to enact my own personal ban of someone.

#35 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

In general, the bar for getting banned on forums should be set much higher. Arguments and fighting are part of human nature, and I don't know why we expect people to behave differently on the Internet. I think dohdough has stupid opinions, but he should not be banned for anything he has said, even if he called someone a dirty word.

The whole netiquette, flaming, trolling philosophy of the Internet has always been fucking retarded anyway. There's so much fake politeness in society as it is. In essence, a lot of Internet forums have turned into the typical corporate office. You can't say shit. At the end of the day, people love trolling and they love drama despite repeated claims to the contrary. This is evidenced by the simple rule that the vast majority of people fail to follow, "Do not respond to trolls." No, they love responding to trolls and trolling others. Of course, in the modern day, trolling is seen simply as having an opinion differing from the prevailing one.

But I will say, I am surprised I haven't been banned many times on this forum, which leads credence to the idea that the political forum is hands off. It makes sense. The deals forum is where the money is and the political forum is not even that active by most standards.

SA Forums has the most transparent system I've seen.

They also ban you for having the wrong opinion, but then again, you do hold all the opinions that would fly there. Might as well just post on ThinkProgress or Media Matters. Also, it was once the place where a lot of people went to hang out and relax and chill out, but now it's where fun goes to die and it turned into a catlady forum. Check out the Internet for more details on this.

I just don't have much to add to this discussion. I've made my POV very clear - I will continue to mark posts that I feel cross the line of decency - and that includes posts accusing me of sexually assaulting children.

Well, then stop doing it!

Edited by Spokker, 26 January 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#36 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Well, then stop doing it!

I'm at a loss for words... Stop marking post or the latter?

#37 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm at a loss for words... Stop marking post or the latter?

Oh, sorry, I should have snipped that quote. I did not mean to imply that UncleBob should stop reporting posts.

#38 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I disagree with everything that spokker said. Just because most of the Internet is a free for all doesn't mean Cag should be.

#39 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I disagree with everything that spokker said. Just because most of the Internet is a free for all doesn't mean Cag should be.

People who didn't heed the moderator's warning to follow the rules were being selfish and putting other posters at risk!

#40 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'm not hiding from anything. The Vs. forum is mostly an un-moderated forum, compared to the rest of the site. I usually leave it be, but I've seen some of the shit that is said in that forum from reported posts, and I don't blame any mod for temp banning people for it. Temp bans are usually handed out on a per-moderator basis. When I temp ban someone, I do have the option of showing them the reason, and I do. I will warn the user either in the thread or via PM before I do so though.

Correct. Cheapy and us mods discuss everything in a private subforum. As I mentioned above, most temp bans are dealt with by a single mod, but we discuss permanent bans before any action is taken.

You're one of how many moderators on this forum? That's great that you explain why you banned someone, not all of you do. The way that you all keep things so hidden from us is why we're having this discussion in the first place. At least in the real world you have the right to know what law you broke, here it's closer to being thrown in prison with no explanation. It is appreciated that you're willing to post in here, however.

edit- Oh look, Spokker is trolling this thread as well.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#41 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

At least in the real world you have the right to know what law you broke, here it's closer to being thrown in prison with no explanation.

Right, because getting temp banned from a Video Game forum is the equivalent of being thrown in prison.

#42 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Ya know what, Fuck it. I can ignore mods as easily as others.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#43 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Right, because getting temp banned from a Video Game forum is the equivalent of being thrown in prison.

:rofl:This post has so much win :applause:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image