Wallet as a gift?

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
I saw in guinaevere's thread about gifts that some CAG got her boyfriend a wallet for Valentine's day. That makes me wonder, what do you guys think of getting a wallet as a gift?

My ex-girlfriend got one for me as a random gift, and was upset when I wasn't too thrilled about it. To be honest, I equate wallets to work boots: it can take months or even years to break it in. The last thing I want to do is have to break a new one in. Plus, it's one of those things guys are usually picky about (black, brown, tri-fold, bi-fold, leather, velcro, etc.). So needless to say, I don't like getting new wallets. I honestly hope that I'll never have to get another wallet again. :/

So what do you guys think? Is it just me, or is it a guy thing in general?

I agree. I'm really used to the tri-fold and don't like the idea of feeling obligated to switch.

And for me, same thing with electric razors. I got one of the 3-circles kind as a gift once and just couldn't get used to it. Felt kinda bad exchanging it for the parallel type, but it had to be done.

[quote name='abilyk']
And for me, same thing with electric razors. I got one of the 3-circles kind as a gift once and just couldn't get used to it. Felt kinda bad exchanging it for the parallel type, but it had to be done.[/QUOTE]
My wife insisted on getting me one of those, ended up trading it for a trimmer, so she got me another one...it collects dust in my old house.

As far as wallets are concerned, I buy one every few years, but I wait until mine is almost completely junked before I get a new one.

I got a black leather trifold once as a gift because she didn't like my black canvasy? velcro one. It's a nice looking wallet and I've used it for 5 years. It's more "adult" or professional looking for sure, but the velcro one was laid out differently and had different compartments that were way better.

I find this wallet is actually bending some of my credit cards for some reason but I can't nail down exactly why some of the cards are flexing like that. I don't know if its because of the way the cards are stacked, or if the compartment behind the cards has something that's messing them up, or if its some kind of imbalance once the fold over is on top, etc.

Sometimes I like to keep my wallet in my front pocket depending on where I'm walking around, and I could do that with the way the old velcro one was set up. The new black leather one, with the same amount of stuff in it, is just too thick which drives me crazy. So I have to back pocket it all the time. Oh, and the velcro one had a nicely positioned coin pocket so I could keep some change on me, which was always nice for a buck or two in quarters. Without that, I end up losing change in my car cup holders or into the abyss of my home, and I'm circulating it less since I'm not using it to make purchases.

I ended up finding this smaller wallet where its two thick leather sides that sit back to back connected my elastic bands. The elastic bands hold cash to the back of either side like the meat of a sandwich. Each leather side has like 3 slots for cards. I like to use that when I'm going somewhere where I don't want to sit on my wallet all night and/or I might easily lose my wallet. It's good for some cash bills, a couple credit cards, a license, and my insurance card and Triple A card if I really want to bring that much stuff. Then I can leave my other club cards and various other things back at home in the regular wallet. Of course on the handful of occasions I've used it, I had to face "What, you don't like the wallet I got you? :( :( :( :("

If it's clothing or accessories like a wallet or belts or watches or whatever, if I don't pick it out myself I'm probably going to be very hesitant about using it. Not only from a style perspective but also from a functionality perspective, because I know what I need. Most people know not to buy me clothes or accessories like that these days.

[quote name='abilyk']I agree. I'm really used to the tri-fold and don't like the idea of feeling obligated to switch.

And for me, same thing with electric razors. I got one of the 3-circles kind as a gift once and just couldn't get used to it. Felt kinda bad exchanging it for the parallel type, but it had to be done.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I'm right there with you and I'm even more picky about electric razors. I like the Braun electric razor I have but they've since switched to manufacturing them somewhere else and newer models are actually worse, so I had to resort to buying a used one on eBay of the exact same model I used that works perfectly for me when my original broke. And others must feel the same way because there was quite a bidding war on a few of the used models that were up for sale.

I think I've had two in my life. They've both been bi-folds. Others are correct, they're really not meant to be replaced often. I stick with mine until it falls apart (mine is currently starting to). I'm not sure how receptive I'd be to getting one as a gift because as others have said, it really depends on what you like.

She must have meant well, AccessD. But when it comes to wallets, you have to do some shopping and comparing to get exactly what you want. One fella I knew wouldn't look at a wallet if it didn't have one of those key slides to stick an emergency house key into.

I think it's probably the same for girls. I'm stupid particular about the wallet I use and even any purse I go to buy. As much as purses have turned into fashion shows for a lot of women, you still want to look and feel, and see if it's going to work for what you carry, and if it will rest comfortably on your shoulder.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I saw in guinaevere's thread about gifts that some CAG got her boyfriend a wallet for Valentine's day.[/QUOTE]

Man, what a dumb chick.

To be clear though, the wallet that I gave him is exactly the same style of wallet that he already had, which was so worn and old that it was begging me to be replaced. Very picky about wallets, baseball caps, and watches and I get that. He's still using the wallet so I done good. Plus, I stuck cash in it in case he wanted something else.

I've had a brown trifold wallet for at least 5 years and dont plan on replacing it until it becomes so degraded that its necessary. I would prefer to get one myself when the time comes. If my girlfriend got me one I would appreciate the gesture and tell her that, while also saying that I would prefer to return it and pick out one on my own because t I think its one of those things that you have to pick out for yourself. Same reason I'll never get her a purse.

[quote name='guinaevere']She must have meant well, AccessD.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I have no doubt about that. She always tried to do nice things for me, and I almost always appreciated them. But the wallet was just one of those things. :/

I guess it's good to know that some guys agree with me though. At first I just thought I was a dick, but it's really one of those things that people have to pick out for themselves.

So a head's up to all of you girls out there, don't get a wallet for a man. :lol:

EDIT: Kind of off topic, but what pocket do you guys keep your wallet in? I know that the back pocket is the usual, but I keep mine in my left-front (phone in right front). I don't like sitting on my wallet. Even though it's fairly thin, I feel like I'm out of balance if I sit on it. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPf98i8A0g

[quote name='Access_Denied']EDIT: Kind of off topic, but what pocket do you guys keep your wallet in? I know that the back pocket is the usual, but I keep mine in my left-front (phone in right front). I don't like sitting on my wallet. Even though it's fairly thin, I feel like I'm out of balance if I sit on it. :/[/QUOTE]

As mentioned above, usually a back pocket. I'd guess right over left but it's in both pretty regularly. It can get uncomfortable depending on what type of surface I have to sit on and how long I have to be sitting. Depending where I am sometimes I prefer a front pocket but my current wallet isn't comfortable to go into the front pockets of my pants. Luckily it's not George status, but it is bigger than my former wallet.

[quote name='burritoman']
As far as wallets are concerned, I buy one every few years, but I wait until mine is almost completely junked before I get a new one.[/QUOTE]
I do the same. I hate changing wallets. It takes too long to get one broken in just the way I like.

Also, I keep my wallet in my front right pocket. Feels right to have it there because I hate sitting on it since it's huge.

If she included a couple hundred bucks along with the wallet im sure you wouldnt mind too much : P

I got a wallet when I was a late teen and it was perfectly fine, then my gf at the time got me another cause it looked 'beat up'. Whatevs, the new wallet looked just as beat up as the old one did within weeks, and guess what? I still use that wallet today, over 10 years later. Wallets are simply one of those things that don't need replacement. Females just trying to have life size Ken dolls they can play with and mold to their liking. *stirs pot*

I hate getting wallets as gifts. I usually don't need one as I buy decent ones that last a long time. And I'm a bit picky about layout, quality of leather etc. The past few I've gotten as gifts have been returned or donated.

I keep mine in my back right pocket.

A good wallet is a treasure.

That being said, most men already have a wallet. They already have the wallet they want, be it fancy or simply functional enough to get them through life. This is not something I would give as a gift, but would receive it with the same humbleness I would receive any gift. Giving a man a wallet is like giving a woman a vacuum in terms of awkwardness.

Gift giving in general is terribly inefficient, though. The best gift is cash, but this is a faux pas unless we are talking about perhaps gifts to relatives (mostly dependents). To alleviate this concern we have settled on gift cards which is better than individual gifts but still less efficient than cash on average, as evidenced by the secondary market for gift cards.

If you're going to give a gift, the best gift is a nice dinner somewhere because then you'll be spending time with that person. That is, if you actually like a person. Then again, you should not be giving gifts to people you don't like, but this happens more often than you think.

I used a wallet for years til I decided I didn't like it in my back pocket any longer and it was becoming overstuffed. My solution? Driver's license, debit card, credit card, insurance card and a little cash all fit just right into a double looped rubber band. Slips in the front pocket easy and when the rubber band wears out, just grab another one.

[quote name='Access_Denied']

EDIT: Kind of off topic, but what pocket do you guys keep your wallet in? I know that the back pocket is the usual, but I keep mine in my left-front (phone in right front). I don't like sitting on my wallet. Even though it's fairly thin, I feel like I'm out of balance if I sit on it. :/

[/QUOTE]

Like most I prefer the back pocket on the right side of my butt since I'm right handed but similary when I sit down it is just too uncomfortable. Now when I know I'm going to be sitting for awhile I just take my wallet from my back to front.

I would just sort it like you but I keep my keys on my left pocket and phone on my front right.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Like most I prefer the back pocket on the right side of my butt since I'm right handed but similary when I sit down it is just too uncomfortable. Now when I know I'm going to be sitting for awhile I just take my wallet from my back to front.

I would just sort it like you but I keep my keys on my left pocket and phone on my front right.[/QUOTE]

I keep my keys in the left-front as well, and the wallet and key combination is usually uncomfortable. That's why I removed my apartment key from the ring and just stuck it in my wallet. Now I don't need to carry a whole set of keys which I hardly ever use.

[quote name='Access_Denied']EDIT: Kind of off topic, but what pocket do you guys keep your wallet in? I know that the back pocket is the usual, but I keep mine in my left-front (phone in right front). I don't like sitting on my wallet. Even though it's fairly thin, I feel like I'm out of balance if I sit on it. :/[/QUOTE]
Front left along with my keys, cell phone in front right. At work, I've began to take my keys out of my pocket because it's uncomfortable (especially when in slacks and not jeans).

Here's the wallet I have: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Wallet-ID?sc=8&category=87 (it was cheaper when I ordered it). Fits nice and slim. Only issues are trying to get cash into it and room for extra cards beyond the credit card, debit card, etc. (which I keep a bigger wallet in my car for). I can't stand wallets in my back pocket because they hurt to sit on.

I keep my wallet in my back right pocket and have for a very long time. My previous wallet was considerably thicker with a sewed on plastic NES controller emblem on it that my sister got me as a gift way back when we were in high school, however my current one is quite a bit slimmer and I've gotten fairly used to how it feels, but neither of them really bothered me to sit on. This is what mine looks like:
Wallet_zpsd47c1859.jpg

I keep my wallet and keys in my right front pocket, smart phone in the left. The wallet isn't such a big deal, but I always make sure my keys and phone don't go in the same pocket. Would hate for my phone to get scratched up.

I dont think wallets make good gifts for men or women.
There are so many different factors to take into account, so it is really hard to get the right one.
I would never get anyone a wallet...

[quote name='JStryke']I keep my wallet and keys in my right front pocket, smart phone in the left. The wallet isn't such a big deal, but I always make sure my keys and phone don't go in the same pocket. Would hate for my phone to get scratched up.[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing with my keys and phone. Whenever I slip up and put my keys in the same pocket as my phone I get really annoyed at myself, it scratches up your phone so easily.

I keep my wallet in the back left (left-handed), phone in front left, and keys usually in front right or jacket pocket.

If I was given another wallet like the one I have now, thats falling apart, Id be happy with that as a gift.

bread's done
Back