Gaming laptop <$1000 advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hi, looking for advice in buying a new gaming laptop. Looking for a 15'' model good screen that I'll be able to take with me to college and run most of my games.

I found 2 laptops that interest me, ASUS N56VM-AB71 and Lenovo Y580

Here are the specs:

ASUS

Max Screen Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Processor 2.3 GHz Core i7-3610QM
RAM 6 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 750 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Graphics Card Ram Size 2048 MB

Lenovo
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 766 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M
Graphics Card Ram Size 2 GB

Lenovo has better insides but Asus appears to have a better screen. Is there significant difference between GTX660M and GT630M? I currently have a GT 545 on my desktop and it suits me fine. So guys, any recommendations?

#2 Mr Dude65

Mr Dude65

CAG Uber-Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

There's a huge difference between those cards. Get the lenovo. That asus will let you down.
This space reserved in memory of one of the greatest heroes we will ever know. He faced insurmountable odds and sacrificed all for what he believed in. He died so that we could delay the inevitable. His name shall be honored forever, and his legend inscribed into the annals of history forever. And his name was...

Marauder Shields.

Remember 03.06.12.
http://gamercard.xbo...ertag=Mr Dude65

#3 austin3118

austin3118

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Best bet, wait it out.

Check your local craigslist, you are bound to spend hundreds less for a 3 month old gaming laptop. Just wait and see what comes up.

#4 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

There's a huge difference between those cards. Get the lenovo. That asus will let you down.

Reading reviews, looks like the ASUS screen is much better. I think having a quality screen is better than having a shitty screen with a better card. Though a better card sure is tempting...

EDIT: Bah, 660M supports more games. Looks like I''ll need to find that Lenovo in a local Cosco/BestBuy and really check out the screen quality.

Best bet, wait it out.

Check your local craigslist, you are bound to spend hundreds less for a 3 month old gaming laptop. Just wait and see what comes up.

Would much rather buy a new unit, knowing that the graphics card and the HDD are in pristine condition.

Edited by HornyPony, 26 January 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#5 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Reading reviews, looks like the ASUS screen is much better. I think having a quality screen is better than having a shitty screen with a better card. Though a better card sure is tempting...

EDIT: Bah, 660M supports more games. Looks like I''ll need to find that Lenovo in a local Cosco/BestBuy and really check out the screen quality.

Would much rather buy a new unit, knowing that the graphics card and the HDD are in pristine condition.

Get the Lenovo Y580, no question. There are versions under $1000 that come with the full 1080p screen.

If you don't mind trying Amazon Warehouse, there's a use - like new one right now for $940.xx (it also has blu ray).

Regardless do NOT get anything with something as crappy as that 630.

Here is cheaper and new Acer Aspire with a 650m, so not as good as 660m but still decent for most current games.

Also here is another y580 w/ a small extra 16GB SSD installed for better performance. No blu ray on this one but I'd take the 16GB SSD over that any day.

One more edit: Here is a good one from Lenovos site for $980. Possibly slow shipping from their site though.

Edited by ShockandAww, 26 January 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#6 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Get the Lenovo Y580, no question. There are versions under $1000 that come with the full 1080p screen.

If you don't mind trying Amazon Warehouse, there's a use - like new one right now for $940.xx (it also has blu ray).

Regardless do NOT get anything with something as crappy as that 630.

Here is cheaper and new Acer Aspire with a 650m, so not as good as 660m but still decent for most current games.

Also here is another y580 w/ a small extra 16GB SSD installed for better performance. No blu ray on this one but I'd take the 16GB SSD over that any day.

One more edit: Here is a good one from Lenovos site for $980. Possibly slow shipping from their site though.

Thanks so much for the newegg link! Same Y580 as the Amazon version but with an SSD, this is great. Plus, I don't have to pay taxes for newegg. Gonna pick it up by the end of the day, thanks again.

#7 Mr Dude65

Mr Dude65

CAG Uber-Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yeah man, the screen thing is completely wrong... A 1080p screen means nothing if the games you're playing look like shit. The GPU is THE MOST IMPORTANT component in the build of a gaming computer.
This space reserved in memory of one of the greatest heroes we will ever know. He faced insurmountable odds and sacrificed all for what he believed in. He died so that we could delay the inevitable. His name shall be honored forever, and his legend inscribed into the annals of history forever. And his name was...

Marauder Shields.

Remember 03.06.12.
http://gamercard.xbo...ertag=Mr Dude65

#8 carson11

carson11

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Second Lenovo Y580