Pbs: Nova - rise of drones

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Pretty sure gangs ain't going to be flying drones killing each other.. Most gangs aren't cowards, they face their opponents.

Drones are going to be use by LEO and gov't as a way to control it citizens, allowing your life to not be judge by peers but by gov'ts.

when does the line blur btw a physical threat to a political threat?

When the power elite feel their power and authority threatened.

#62 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Pretty sure gangs ain't going to be flying drones killing each other.. Most gangs aren't cowards, they face their opponents.

Are you kidding me? Gang honor code is one of the biggest myths out there. They are absolutely cowards in that they only fight if they outnumber their opponent, and they never actually train in their method of intimidation and terrorism. They can't aim worth shit and care more about living excessively than building up the group they supposedly need to survive. The average gangbanger is completely incompetent and pants on head retarded.

#63 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Am I the only one who laughs when they seem some of the surveillance drones on the market? For some of the ones I've seen, you could literally take an RC helicopter and attach a camera, instant drone. I wonder why some of this stuff took so long to really get to market. These probably have longer range, but in some cases that's about it.

For example: http://www.nwcn.com/...-190294411.html
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#64 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Am I the only one who laughs when they seem some of the surveillance drones on the market? For some of the ones I've seen, you could literally take an RC helicopter and attach a camera, instant drone. I wonder why some of this stuff took so long to really get to market. These probably have longer range, but in some cases that's about it.

For example: http://www.nwcn.com/...-190294411.html

well when you can strap on heIIfire missles and 30mm rounds on your drone, we will talk8-)

#65 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think you're missing what I'm saying. My point is that imperialism via soft power is even more indiscriminate in it's victims and affects more people than all the victims of drones strikes put together.

edit: Even if we eliminated drone strikes right now, we'll just use another method that might be even more deadly than drones and even less covert.

It's not "acceptable because there aren't any complaints," but there are less complaints because it's not a full scale invasion and virtually no complaints when it comes to soft power. People are more concerned with these overt methods rather than the goal, which is empire. Drones aren't the problem; imperialism is. I'm not saying that we can't be critical, but that we need to attack both.

I think it's more effective to argue at the micro level (ie this specific policy is bad) on this rather than macro because the water gets really muddy really quickly when we talk macro imperialism. Is the Peace Corps imperialism? Shit like that. I think it's easier to swing an opinion on AN issue rather than a huge bucket. People that would instinctively cringe at the imperialism argument (myself included to a point) would also be much more willing to debate the finer point of drones.

If any of that makes sense.
Posted Image

#66 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Looking at the picture of that drone from the YouTube video, doesn't it look like something out of "Eagle Eye"?
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#67 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

I think it's more effective to argue at the micro level (ie this specific policy is bad) on this rather than macro because the water gets really muddy really quickly when we talk macro imperialism. Is the Peace Corps imperialism? Shit like that. I think it's easier to swing an opinion on AN issue rather than a huge bucket. People that would instinctively cringe at the imperialism argument (myself included to a point) would also be much more willing to debate the finer point of drones.

If any of that makes sense.

I always like looking at the big picture but I see what you're saying. That is such a slow process though while innocents die and must wait for us privileged Americans to come around in our own good time. Nonetheless, it is the only way for imperial populations to change their imperial lifestyle. Unless, you have an external force (eg people who are sick and tired of waiting for the long arduous process of Americans coming to some more sensibility) force the change before Americans want to change.
Posted Image

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." - George Orwell