Path of Exile

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

PoE just went open Beta. Anyone else playing?

NDFO4E5OKSE

DOWNLOAD FOR FREE

Here are some useful websites for newbies:

POE Forums
The official POE forums have lots of good info. Theres build examples and shops.

Passive Skill Tree
Interactive skill tree. Lets you plan out your build without being in game. You should spend a bit of time here before you spend too many skill points.

Orb exchange rates
This give an approximate value for the different Orbs. You can use this to ballpark what an orb will trade for.

Gem exchange rates
This is a new site that gives the approximate value for the different gems. It includes gem quality which helps a lot for determining value.

Vendor Recipe list
Includes all the known vendor recipes. Recipes are sets of items that you can sell to the vendor to receive certain items. Example: One item with a Red, Green and Blue socket all linked together gives a Chromatic Orb.

POE Wiki
Good source of all kinds of info. Go hear if you need more detailed info.

Edited by Waughoo, 05 March 2013 - 06:08 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

i preordered it a long while back and played closed beta for awhile. its a great game and one of the many reasons why i never really got into diablo 3. its just so much better... and free!

the cutthroat leagues are amazing and really capture that diablo 2 open pvp vibe.
to me this game is everything these style of arpgs should be. the only thing "odd" about it is the monetary system. just imagine if SoJ's were the ingame currency by default. there is no money.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

The lack of a currency system really confused me at first. I'm like "What...? I need identify scrolls to buy a bow?"

I'm enjoying the game so far though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Yep been in since closed BETA, love it, honestly I donated $20 to the developer because Diablo III left such a bad taste in my mouth.
Posted Image

#5 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'm going to give it a try again with friends if they can ever choose a fucking name. I was bored to tears solo, but then again most games with multiplayer focus make me bored to tears if I'm playing by myself.

#6 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

I jumped in right at the end of the closed beta. The game has proven to be much more enjoyable than D3 ever was IMO.

My only complaint is that I wish that the passive skill tree was a little more generous with the respec points to encourage testing different builds.

#7 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I jumped in right at the end of the closed beta. The game has proven to be much more enjoyable than D3 ever was IMO.

My only complaint is that I wish that the passive skill tree was a little more generous with the respec points to encourage testing different builds.

I know I'm gonna be totally screwed later, because I havent planned my build really at all. I'm playing a Ranger and am using Lightning Arrows + Fork, so I'm just going around the skill tree picking anything with dex or elemental damage. I can already tell I'm gonna have to dip into some mana skills just so I can keep firing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I played it like a year ago and kind of hated it. Started playing again recently with a bunch of friends and I'm having fun. I really wish they'd put like names over friends or something though, as rolling with a full group things can get pretty hectic. I really cant wait for some Cut Throat leagues to open.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#9 Logg

Logg

Every Time I Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Game is Amazing.

#10 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Got to act 3 last night. My buddy and I beat the act 2 boss pretty much entirely because it aggro'ed me at the start, and never stopped. So I was basically just burning health pots the whole time while he was free to beat on the boss.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Looks like I made an account at some time, but forgot about doing so. I'm downloading now to play after work.
Posted Image

#12 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Got to act 3 last night. My buddy and I beat the act 2 boss pretty much entirely because it aggro'ed me at the start, and never stopped. So I was basically just burning health pots the whole time while he was free to beat on the boss.

Act 3 is SO full of cheese.

That's the one thing that still bothers me about the game. Their idea of challenging is just throwing a fuckload of shit at you and having it rape your health instantly. I start all of my characters on Hardcore because there is no reason not to since when you die that character just goes to Default, but I couldn't even imagine fighting the shit I did in Act 3 on Hardcore.

Fun game, but the cheese factor is a bit nauseating at times.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#13 Logg

Logg

Every Time I Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hardcore only for me

#14 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I still refuse to do hardcore characters in games which are so server dependent. I get enough random disconnections which sometimes have a bit of rollback so I'm not going to risk it in hardcore. (although I LOVE how your characters just go softie once they bite it)

I started one of each class figuring that I'd hate the Ranger most of all but it's my favorite class next to Witch. I always like it when some game makes you enjoy playing as a class-type that you generally gravitate away from. *thumbsup*
sudo mklove

#15 csidegamer

csidegamer

What problem w/ Dwarves?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Signing up now. Thx.
Should tide me over till Grim Dawn releases.
fs_overall.pngs2741431x15a.png

#16 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Act 3 is SO full of cheese.

That's the one thing that still bothers me about the game. Their idea of challenging is just throwing a fuckload of shit at you and having it rape your health instantly. I start all of my characters on Hardcore because there is no reason not to since when you die that character just goes to Default, but I couldn't even imagine fighting the shit I did in Act 3 on Hardcore.

Fun game, but the cheese factor is a bit nauseating at times.

The end of Act 2 was getting a little annoying with the constant totems that make allies invincible. If a big group happened to come near one, you basically either had to dive in and pray you kill the totem or you have to draw them away from it and kill them. I was playing solo and had some big group of those poison throwing automation things around a totem. If I got close enough to hit the totem my health would practically disappear. I tried to lure them away, but they would not come out of the buff's range. I finally ended up running in, tossing Arrow Rain on the totem, then running out until it died.

I'd normally be ok with the extra strategy involved, but it was like there was one of those totems in every other room.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Just started playing. Not sure I like the way the skill points are laid out.
Posted Image

#18 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

I never have any idea how much an item is worth in this game. I had a lot of rare items I had just been tossing in storage, so yesterday I tried to sell them. I had like one taker the whole time, and he just traded me even up for a gem.

Meanwhile everyone is trying to sell their stuff for what seems like too much imo. A guy was selling a Life on Hit gem, level 1 normal quality. He was asking 3 Alchemy Orbs and 3 Chaos. Then later I see a guy selling a Unique item that honestly didnt have very good stats, but wanted a Gem Cutter's Prism. I've never even seen a Gem Cutter's Prism.

The vendors need their payouts changed. I had a full stack of Identify Scrolls plus about 7 portals I wanted to get rid of. I put them all in the vendor, and his offer was 7 Identify Scrolls and a Scroll Fragment. Thats like me saying "Hey, I have $100, what can I buy for that?" and them saying "Oh, I'll give you $7.10 for that"
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Here is an image that breaks down the various forms of currency and their worth in the game. This seems to be what most people on the POE forums and D2JSP go by.

Posted Image

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#20 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

So, I'm going to go ahead and say that "The Ledge" has to have an increased drop rate on various orbs. Just did some grinding there for about an hour and got the following:

8x Armourers Scraps
9x Orbs of Alteration
3x Chaos Orbs
7x Blacksmiths Whetstones
6x Orbs of Augmentation
4x Orbs of Transmutation
3x Chromatic Orbs
1x Orb of Alchemy
2x Glassblowers Baubles
1x Orb of Regret
1x Orb of Chance

Also got probably a dozen or so rares and six levels from that zone. I'm about capped as far as XP goes in that zone, but I think I may just continue grinding there for orbs.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#21 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

What difficulty are you on? When I went thru there on normal we didnt see much.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Normal, thats the only reason I was grinding there.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#23 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Does anyone know if you purchase extra and premium stash tabs, if they apply to both your HC and Normal stash? It'd be kind of lame if you had to chose one or the other.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#24 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Does anyone know if you purchase extra and premium stash tabs, if they apply to both your HC and Normal stash? It'd be kind of lame if you had to chose one or the other.

They apply to both.

#25 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Well, I finally found a Unique item. It was a ring, which was a terrible item for my Ranger but great for my friend's Marauder. Then my other friend found a unique belt, which was bad for his Templar but great for the Marauder. Then our other friend found another unique, also only good for the Marauder. :(
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

Beat act 3, and started into Cruel difficulty solo. Yeah, no thanks on that. I'll wait till my friends catch up, cause I've been about to level up 3 times and then died, losing a bunch of XP.

Instead I started a Witch. Played a few hours tonight and got to like level 8. Usually with any kind of a mage in these games I find a skill I like and build the entire character around it. But so far there isnt any one Witch skill I really like. Right now I'm just building her around Ice spells, because I usually lean towards Electric spells and wanted to try something different. Also the early Electric skill (Spark) sucks so I didnt want to use it, and Fireball takes too long to fire.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

Ice Nova. Game over.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#28 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Beat act 3, and started into Cruel difficulty solo. Yeah, no thanks on that. I'll wait till my friends catch up, cause I've been about to level up 3 times and then died, losing a bunch of XP.

Instead I started a Witch. Played a few hours tonight and got to like level 8. Usually with any kind of a mage in these games I find a skill I like and build the entire character around it. But so far there isnt any one Witch skill I really like. Right now I'm just building her around Ice spells, because I usually lean towards Electric spells and wanted to try something different. Also the early Electric skill (Spark) sucks so I didnt want to use it, and Fireball takes too long to fire.

I tend to like to play summoners after Diablo II's Necromancer. So I have been building her for that. I'm not sure how I like it. I think this is the game Diablo 3 should have been, but I'm just not sure how I'm liking the game. The summoning isn't bad other than skeletons. I don't like that they only last 20 seconds and that in order to use all the summons I have to make sure I have gear that can have the gems in it.
Posted Image

#29 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Summoning zombies can get a bit tricky with an ice build as ice tends to obliterate corpses.

I started with a shock witch build but the AOE spell is not fun.(weird deadzone but you can lessen it) I just got an Arc gem drop on my ranger so I'll revisit shock on my witch but, as SEH said, Ice Nova is awesome and it has been my go-to right-click for many levels now since I shifted from shock to frost on my witch.

edit: Just gave Arc a whirl and it's rad.

Edited by Fell Open Ian, 05 February 2013 - 05:57 PM.

sudo mklove

#30 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I have Ice Nova, and looking at the DPS on it early makes it look kinda crappy. But using it tells a different story. I was going to use Ice Spear at distance, follow that with Freezing Pulse for medium-close range, and use Ice Nova only when surrounded. Now I kinda just Ice Spear till they are close and then Ice Nova till everything is dead.
Posted Image
Posted Image