Path of Exile

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#31 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Arc is the only good lightning damage spell. The AOE one is beyond retarded, what with them having to be on the perimeter of it to take damage. On my level 30 witch I literally only run Ice Nova and Arc (well, and Clarity). There really isn't much need for anything else.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#32 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

freezing pulse+ice spear+frostbite curse=gg

shadow caster too fun.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Got Asenath's Mark off a creature in the Mud Flats last night :)

We're up to the Ship Graveyard in Cruel. Theres a decent sized jump in difficulty between Normal and Cruel. I'm barely staying alive as everything can kill me in like 2 hits. Time to start dropping more skill points into health I guess.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Just died in HC in Act 3. Level 34 and I get 2-shot by some $$$$$$ mob with arc. Every time I've died in HC (which is three level 30+ chars now, including this one) its been because of some lame ass cheese 1-2 shotting me. Ugh. The worst part is I was a ranger this time and they weren't even on my fucking screen.

EDIT

And now...my HC 31 Witch that I've just been farming on is randomly dead. I've just been doing dumb, safe farm runs and I know for a fact I've never died, yet somehow the character has been moved to the Default league. Awesome.

Edited by SEH, 08 February 2013 - 04:03 AM.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#35 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I started looking at some builds for my Ranger and it looks like noone actually uses most of the Ranger's skill tree. They always loop around the bottom of the grid all the way over to the left side. Silly me, I've been putting all my points into the Dexterity nodes and bow skills.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I don't ever look at builds because you can literally play all the characters however you want. You could make a Marauder use a bow, you could make a Witch become a tank, you can do anything. I like that a lot about the game, but I also dislike it at the same time. It leads to a lot of experimentation, but it also allows for some really, really dumb builds (that sound a lot better in your head) that can't be reworked later on.

It makes me wish there was some kind of option to do a full-on re-spec at various levels. Let me re-spec my character at like levels 50 and 100 or something. I don't want to have to start a new character if something winds up not working out at like level 60. There's just a bit too much finality within the skill tree.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#37 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thats the whole reason I look at builds. I dont like that I'm gonna put 100+ hours into a character only to find out when I get to higher levels I'm gonna get owned. At least with my Witch I got a basic idea of how I wanna play her early, so I can spend points with a bit of confidence. My Ranger though, he's like lvl 46 and most of the guides I've looked at completely ignore the entire Ranger side of the skill grid.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

So, I found an "Albino Rhoa Feather" today while playing. It has no desciption, only that you can stack them up to ten times. So, I went to Google. There is no definitive answer as to what they do. There is some crap about fishing, but that appears to have been debunked. Alpha testers say they know but aren't allowed to say as it violates some NDA they have, and others say if you combine three full stacks along with a specific map, you get a giant Rhoa boss who is guaranteed to drop amazing gear.

I got in contact with one of the alpha testers and he was certainly willing to spend quite a bit for it. At first he offered an Alchemy, I said no, then he went to Chaos, then he went to a GCP, then he went all the way to an Exalted Orb. He seemed to want it badly and got kind of angry when I kept turning him down, saying that "You'll likely never get to find out what it does".

I'm super intrigued as I'm still pretty clueless as to what this thing actually does. I'm definitely going to hang onto it though incase it does do something awesome. Anyone here have some insight into this thing?

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#39 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

No, never even heard of it. Where did you find it and from what enemy? And whats your item rarity/find at?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

No, never even heard of it. Where did you find it and from what enemy? And whats your item rarity/find at?

It dropped off an Albino Rhoa in the Mud Flats. I'd imagine it'll always drop off that enemy, but its apparently a pain to get to spawn. I don't have any increased rare find or quantity drop.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#41 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Ok. Yeah I did a little poking around, and it looks like thats the only place they drop. I'm guessing you are on Hardcore?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, I'm on Hardcore.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#43 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I was trying to farm The Cave last night, as its supposed to be a good place. Apparently theres a good chance of a large chest to spawn there and it'll usually have a couple orbs. I did like 5 runs, and never saw a chest. Although I had one run that had a really large number of rare enemies. I died on that run, and the instance on The Fields had run out. I tried to get back the The Cave but there was a crazy number of enemies there for some reason. By the time I got back to the cave it was too late.

On the bright side I did find a OK amount of orbs and my first GCP
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Best farm locations:

Act 1 - The Ledge
Act 2 - Church Dungeon
Act 2 - Dead Thicket
Act 3 - The Docks

I do those in that order and it works really well. Dread Thicket also has the highest chance of any zone in the game to spawn a large chest.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#45 Ch33pSh33p

Ch33pSh33p

Cheap is <3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

I've played this for a few hours, pretty fun. Love summoning zombies :)

"The cops are here, sucks for them." - Trevor (GTA V)

Gaming Blog | Free games & gift cards! | gaming forum

#46 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

My friend is having some bad luck. First off he was stupid and used most of his good Orbs he's found so far, including trading his one GCP he's found for some gear (he was like lvl 30 at the time, so he got lvl 30 gear). He also spent a crap ton of orbs trying to get sockets/links perfect on something. So then he was about out of orbs. Now nothing good drops for him. He rarely even gets scrolls to drop. Last night he finally got his first stack of portal scrolls, and he's at level 50.

Last night the best orbs he got were ones that dropped for me that I let him have. He did get a unique 2-hand sword to drop though. I had decent drops on orbs, and even got a divine orb :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I do feel like when running with a group, or even just one other person, the game tends to heavily favor someone. The one night we were running a 5-man ledge group and only one friend of ours was getting drops. He got like five Orbs of Alchemy while the rest of us got portal and ID scrolls. It always does that when we group.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#48 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

So confused by this game at times. Just died on my Templar to that General Greviouciousoisus whatever the Fuck his name is. Prior to that I was able to tank and spank everything. I had a ton of HP, maxed out resists, and a bunch of Armor and Energy Shield. Nothing could touch me and I killed everything super fast. I go to fight him, get shield charged by one of his little minions, then he makes fire rain onto me and I immediately die.

The damage doesn't make any sense. I don't get how things go so well and then one guy just instantly is able to kill me before I can even get an attack off.

It sucks to because I was having a bunch of fun with that Templar. I was tanky (or was up until that point) and was actually able to output damage. Guess it's back to my 53 Duelist who is tanky as Fuck but does zero damage and has to rely on a group.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#49 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I do feel like when running with a group, or even just one other person, the game tends to heavily favor someone. The one night we were running a 5-man ledge group and only one friend of ours was getting drops. He got like five Orbs of Alchemy while the rest of us got portal and ID scrolls. It always does that when we group.

Yeah, I was totally the lucky one last night. I got The Peregrine to drop, with like 28% Magic Find on it. Then for awhile all the rares that dropped were for me. I think all the Gems that dropped were for me. At one point Chain dropped for me and I didnt see it. One of the other guys picked it up and said they wasnt giving it back (he'd been trying to get Chain for awhile now). He did give it back, but I thought it over and decided he could have it. My Ranger doesnt need it, and my Witch is still too low level to use it for awhile. As far as Orbs, I got about 50% of those while one guy got 40% and the other guy got 10%.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Well we're through Cruel. Between the start and Lioneye's Watch we ran into like 3 or 4 rare enemies, and had a 6 slot armor drop. Thats all the further we went though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I got lucky last night and my vendor had a six socket chest piece that I needed. Unfortunately I wasted all my fusings trying to get at least four sockets linked (which never happened).

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#52 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

My buddy gave me a six socketed Ivory Bow last night. I too, wasted all my crap trying to get a 5 or 6 link out of it. Good news is that I think the colors are already good. I wanna put Lightning Arrow, Ice Arrow, Lesser Multi Projectiles, Pierce, Life on Hit, and maybe Increase Rarity or Attack Speed on it. I also need to get a 4 link chest that I can put some other stuff on. Probably Poison Arrow + Fork for starters.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Just booted this game up. Enjoying it so far. Any tips for a newb? Decided to play a marauder. Seemed pretty basic, but im only lvl 5.

#54 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Save all your mats for when you reach higher levels (I usually start crafting when I hit 40 or so). Nothing worse than burning through all your Alchemy, Chaos, and Regals making low-level gear.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#55 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I'm burning through everything on a 6-slot bow trying to get 6 links.

Also if you are just starting out the currency system (or lack thereof) is kinda confusing. For crafting materials you can go HERE for a approximate conversion rate. I honestly still dont know what to trade gems and items for though.

Something you can do kinda early is check the vendors for and 3-link 3-color gear. Buy anything that has Red, Blue and Green all linked and you can sell it right back to the vendor for a Chromatic orb.

Also selling certain groups of items to the vendors gives different items. For example any group of pieces of armor that have a combines quality of over 40% gives an Armorer's Scrap. Weapons work the same way only you get a Blacksmiths Whetstone. More recipes can be found HERE.

And I really recommend researching your build early. Once you get up in levels, it becomes almost impossible to change your build. Take some time and look over the Passive Skill Tree and find skills you really want. From what I understand though, you have to build much more defense than offense in this game if you wanna get through Cruel and Merciless.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Pretty much take all the HP nodes in your tree that you can get your hands on. Health is king at higher levels.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#57 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I'm burning through everything on a 6-slot bow trying to get 6 links.

Also if you are just starting out the currency system (or lack thereof) is kinda confusing. For crafting materials you can go HERE for a approximate conversion rate. I honestly still dont know what to trade gems and items for though.

Something you can do kinda early is check the vendors for and 3-link 3-color gear. Buy anything that has Red, Blue and Green all linked and you can sell it right back to the vendor for a Chromatic orb.

Also selling certain groups of items to the vendors gives different items. For example any group of pieces of armor that have a combines quality of over 40% gives an Armorer's Scrap. Weapons work the same way only you get a Blacksmiths Whetstone. More recipes can be found HERE.

And I really recommend researching your build early. Once you get up in levels, it becomes almost impossible to change your build. Take some time and look over the Passive Skill Tree and find skills you really want. From what I understand though, you have to build much more defense than offense in this game if you wanna get through Cruel and Merciless.

3 of the same color or all 3 colors? Like Red-Red-Red or Red-Blue-Green? I pretty much pick everything up and sell it

#58 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

RGB linked is the Chromatic recipe.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#59 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Finally made it to Merciless in Hardcore (after leveling like 3 characters to 50+ because I was getting bored).

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#60 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

My main is finally to the point where I can farm Merciless ledge solo and probably not die. Theres sometimes a rare or blue enemy or group I cant deal with. Usually ones with the life regen and life leech both. I cant deal damage faster than their regen.

My new ranger is like lvl 30 I think now, and so far is working much better. I've got most of her passives already, but I'm holding off on getting Blood Magic till I get my HP higher and I get a bow with enough links to use Life on Hit... also I need Life on Hit still.
Posted Image
Posted Image