$50 Best Buy GC with Xbox 360 4GB purchase

[quote name='Blaster man']Price drop/720 launch coming...soon? According to gaming podcasts I listen to, they believe MS will launch before E3.[/QUOTE]

It won't launch before E3, even if it was announced today.

I'm in a weird spot right now looking to buy a replacement 360. Any advice would be appreciated. I have a 120GB Elite (fat), my Uncle wants a old-school hard drive, so I offered him mine. GameStop is offering $100 (ending tonight) credit on the console without an HDD. (I don't need to buy the system from GS with the store credit, I can use it on PSN or XBLA point cards).

So I'm looking for the best deal on the 360 right now I missed out on the amazing GoHastings deal two days ago, my Uncle said he'd buy me a new slim 360 HDD, but is this overall the best deal? Or should I just wait until the console+HDD gets a nice deal?

[quote name='Deader2818']They think the next xbox will launch BEFORE E3? I find that highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]
Indeed, that is LOL-worthy right there. MS needs at least 5-6 months of marketing time before launching.

[quote name='Deader2818']The last system to even launch outside of the holiday season was the Sega Saturn and we saw how horribly that flopped.[/QUOTE]
Are you counting handhelds or just game consoles? Also, USA only or outside of USA?

A remodel of an existing console and a brand new console are two totally different things though.

There arent even any games announced for it so it would likely have a very weak launch line up if they released it so soon.

[quote name='Deader2818']A remodel of an existing console and a brand new console are two totally different things though.

There arent even any games announced for it so it would likely have a very weak launch line up if they released it so soon.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Hence, my theory is that the 4GB is being discontinued. Maybe a model with more RAM is coming to replace it.

[quote name='Deader2818']They think the next xbox will launch BEFORE E3? I find that highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]

launch/leak, the words are really interchangeable :)

My gfs brother bought one at best buy yesterday for $179 and got a $20 gc. We ha no clue about the gc till it rang up I didn't see any signs anywhere

[quote name='hamcore']My gfs brother bought one at best buy yesterday for $179 and got a $20 gc. We ha no clue about the gc till it rang up I didn't see any signs anywhere[/QUOTE]

It was in last weeks ad.

I really wish Sony would pull a MS and make a system with hardly any memory and make it really cheap. I'll so pay $150 for something like that.

[quote name='Vap']I really wish Sony would pull a MS and make a system with hardly any memory and make it really cheap. I'll so pay $150 for something like that.[/QUOTE]

I know that's right. HDD's aren't hard to come buy so you could easily snag one on the cheap, and be good to go.

[quote name='Blaster man']Price drop/720 launch coming...soon? According to gaming podcasts I listen to, they believe MS will launch before E3.[/QUOTE]

That's not going to happen. They may announce before E3 but I expect they will want to announce at E3 so they can be the star of the show.

Launch will be in the fall I expect like every console so that they can get all the holiday shoppers.

[quote name='Indiana']That's not going to happen. They may announce before E3 but I expect they will want to announce at E3 so they can be the star of the show.

Launch will be in the fall I expect like every console so that they can get all the holiday shoppers.[/QUOTE]

Don't argue with me, I'm not stating fact, you are acting like you are stating fact. I'm simply posting what professionals in the industry have heard. They may have said announced and not launched, can't remember. Word is that Sony will do the same. They want to beat one another supposedly. Time will tell.

[quote name='Chocoburger']I'm in a weird spot right now looking to buy a replacement 360. Any advice would be appreciated. I have a 120GB Elite (fat), my Uncle wants a old-school hard drive, so I offered him mine. GameStop is offering $100 (ending tonight) credit on the console without an HDD. (I don't need to buy the system from GS with the store credit, I can use it on PSN or XBLA point cards).

So I'm looking for the best deal on the 360 right now I missed out on the amazing GoHastings deal two days ago, my Uncle said he'd buy me a new slim 360 HDD, but is this overall the best deal? Or should I just wait until the console+HDD gets a nice deal?

Indeed, that is LOL-worthy right there. MS needs at least 5-6 months of marketing time before launching.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for a deal on Kinect and wound up just grabbing a Kinect/4GB bundle, I bought a slim HDD case on eBay and just took my 120GB HDD out of my elite and slapped it in the new 360s bay. Works like a charm, the HDD case was only around $4. You'll need a torx #6 & #10 to open it. I couldn't find a #6 and just wound up using a small flathead and carefully removed those ones.

I would stop listening to that podcast.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I would stop listening to that podcast.[/QUOTE]
It was Arthur Gies from Polygon. Also apparently Game Informer has a rumor about it. I don't get that magazine though.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508231

edit: Also Tim Stevens - Engadget EIC - interviewed Kaz at CES and said that Kaz was hinting that the PS4 would launch prior to e3. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when these things are announced in a couple of months.

[quote name='Blaster man']It was Arthur Gies from Polygon. Also apparently Game Informer has a rumor about it. I don't get that magazine though.

edit: Also Tim Stevens - Engadget EIC - interviewed Kaz at CES and said that Kaz was hinting that the PS4 would launch prior to e3. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when these things are announced in a couple of months.[/QUOTE]

That thread says nothing about them launching, just being announced in between GDC and E3.

[quote name='Anexanhume']That thread says nothing about them launching, just being announced in between GDC and E3.[/QUOTE]

That's fine. Announce not launch. Semantics as far as I'm concerned as most people won't want to buy the Xbox 360 or PS3 once the announcements happen. IMO these sales for the 360 and PS3 more or less give credence to these rumors.

[quote name='Blaster man']That's fine. Announce not launch. Semantics as far as I'm concerned as most people won't want to buy the Xbox 360 or PS3 once the announcements happen. IMO these sales for the 360 and PS3 more or less give credence to these rumors.[/QUOTE]

What sales?...A gift card promo at a single retailer on a single SKU that had no pack in game/tiny $20 off holiday price promotions during the holiday when the other bundles had packed in games, plus a $50 price cut plus occasional gift card promos during the holidays....sounds like burning off some slow moving inventory before the end of BB's fiscal year vs some grand plan from MS.

MS has actually put up the prices of the 360 bundles from the holidays (back to $299 for 250gb bundle) and Sony seems quite content to keep the $250 or higher price point for their hardware for at least the near term, given they launched the white PS3 at $300 yesterday.

[quote name='Blaster man']So if they announce prior to E3 will everyone come back and apologize to me or are you too prideful for that?[/QUOTE]

What? Both of us are saying the sales are completely independent of any forthcoming announcements. The existence of the sale does nothing to strengthen or dismiss the claim that new consoles are being announced before E3.

[quote name='Blaster man']Don't argue with me, I'm not stating fact, you are acting like you are stating fact. I'm simply posting what professionals in the industry have heard. They may have said announced and not launched, can't remember. Word is that Sony will do the same. They want to beat one another supposedly. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

HUGE difference in announcing console vs. selling it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']HUGE difference in announcing console vs. selling it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I misstated what I meant although both have the effect of making the sales of the current console fall off a cliff which would be why IMO stores are trying to sell inventory down with discounts.

[quote name='Blaster man']Agreed. I misstated what I meant although both have the effect of making the sales of the current console fall off a cliff which would be why IMO stores are trying to sell inventory down with discounts.[/QUOTE]

That's what people believe, and I would agree, but there's no historical evidence that this is true. No console has ever been announced and released in the same year before.

I dont think anyone would be at all shocked if the PS4 or 720 was announced before E3. Would be pretty shocked if they are released before then.

Sony also did say they would let the 720 get announced before the ps4

I really think they should wait until 2014. It makes more sense, well at least for me. I don't want to have to get another console just yet.

[quote name='Blaster man']Agreed. I misstated what I meant although both have the effect of making the sales of the current console fall off a cliff which would be why IMO stores are trying to sell inventory down with discounts.[/QUOTE]

You might have something to talk about if multiple retailers were doing deals on multiple SKUs, but one retailer doing a promo on a single SKU isn't indicative of anything.

And as I mentioned above MS actually RAISED PRICES across the board on their hardware in the last week or so.

You are vastly overestimating the possible 'osborne' effect, given that new hardware isn't a simple replacement for current hardware due to the probable high price and lack of software. Sony sold huge number of PS2s during the period when the PS3 was announced/launched because it was targeted at a completely different market segment than the PS3 and that the PS2 was fraction of the PS3 in price...Same with the DS....tons of those have sold during the period when the DSI, DSIxl and 3DS were announced and launched as well. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest, and more significantly, most can't afford it nowadays. If folks haven't bought a 360/PS3 by now, they probably either have zero interest or can't afford it. Neither of those factors are likely to be different for the next gen of hardware for the first couple of years.

Whatever hardware comes out in the next year, only a small segment of the market will be motivated to buy due to the price/lack of software. Announcing new hardware will have minimal impact on existing hardware sales (price info, launch games and how long they are going to be waiting for it are necessary for people to make the buy now/wait decisions in most cases) ...however, once the launch price and date are set (which won't be set until probably Aug/Sept at the earliest...Look what Nintendo did with the WiiU),there might be some impact of some buyers holding out but that will be completely overwhelmed by new sales to price sensitive consumers with price drops on the old hardware that will coincide with new hardware launch. No one is clearing out inventory in prep for the next gen at this stage...this market doesn't work that way...they clear it out a year or two AFTER the next gen comes out (or in the PS2's case 5 years after).

[quote name='blume3']I don't want to have to get another console just yet.[/QUOTE]

You could always just not buy it, I intend to wait at least 1 maybe 2 years before I buy another console. That way I can clear some of my backlog and the prices will have come down.

[quote name='murphyspub']That's what people believe, and I would agree, but there's no historical evidence that this is true. No console has ever been announced and released in the same year before.[/QUOTE]

The Xbox 360 was announced in 2005 and was released that same year.

[quote name='Indiana']That's not going to happen. They may announce before E3 but I expect they will want to announce at E3 so they can be the star of the show.

Launch will be in the fall I expect like every console so that they can get all the holiday shoppers.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='deader2818']i dont think anyone would be at all shocked if the ps4 or 720 was announced before e3. Would be pretty shocked if they are released before then.

Sony also did say they would let the 720 get announced before the ps4[/quote]

[quote name='k_g']you might have something to talk about if multiple retailers were doing deals on multiple skus, but one retailer doing a promo on a single sku isn't indicative of anything.

And as i mentioned above ms actually raised prices across the board on their hardware in the last week or so.

You are vastly overestimating the possible 'osborne' effect, given that new hardware isn't a simple replacement for current hardware due to the probable high price and lack of software. Sony sold huge number of ps2s during the period when the ps3 was announced/launched because it was targeted at a completely different market segment than the ps3 and that the ps2 was fraction of the ps3 in price...same with the ds....tons of those have sold during the period when the dsi, dsixl and 3ds were announced and launched as well. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest, and more significantly, most can't afford it nowadays. If folks haven't bought a 360/ps3 by now, they probably either have zero interest or can't afford it. Neither of those factors are likely to be different for the next gen of hardware for the first couple of years.

Whatever hardware comes out in the next year, only a small segment of the market will be motivated to buy due to the price/lack of software. Announcing new hardware will have minimal impact on existing hardware sales (price info, launch games and how long they are going to be waiting for it are necessary for people to make the buy now/wait decisions in most cases) ...however, once the launch price and date are set (which won't be set until probably aug/sept at the earliest...look what nintendo did with the wiiu),there might be some impact of some buyers holding out but that will be completely overwhelmed by new sales to price sensitive consumers with price drops on the old hardware that will coincide with new hardware launch. No one is clearing out inventory in prep for the next gen at this stage...this market doesn't work that way...they clear it out a year or two after the next gen comes out (or in the ps2's case 5 years after).[/quote]

[quote name='blaster man']it was arthur gies from polygon. Also apparently game informer has a rumor about it. I don't get that magazine though.

edit: Also tim stevens - engadget eic - interviewed kaz at ces and said that kaz was hinting that the ps4 would launch prior to e3. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when these things are announced in a couple of months.[/quote]

[quote name='anexanhume']i would stop listening to that podcast.[/quote]

boom proven right. Awaiting apology.

Everyone said that they would not be shocked at all if the new systems were announced before E3. He was going on about it launching before E3 which are two totally different things, lol.

[quote name='Blaster man']It was Arthur Gies from Polygon. Also apparently Game Informer has a rumor about it. I don't get that magazine though.

edit: Also Tim Stevens - Engadget EIC - interviewed Kaz at CES and said that Kaz was hinting that the PS4 would launch prior to e3. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when these things are announced in a couple of months.[/QUOTE]

Sony has already stated that they are waiting for Microsoft to make the first move. I don't think you will see much from them because they want to start making money off the PS3.

[quote name='Zolor23']Well, I guess they actually may announce it...this month too..

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/31/sony-nyc-february-20-playstation/[/QUOTE]

One thing funny about this article is if it's true both the Sony and Microsoft systems are going to be running an AMD 8 core cpu and some sort of AMD GPU. Why don't they just make one console if they are going to be the same hardware?

Let's hope that someone does something different than the other.

[quote name='blume3']I really think they should wait until 2014. It makes more sense, well at least for me. I don't want to have to get another console just yet.[/QUOTE]

Well the sooner they launch the sooner the first price drop will happen. So from my point of view the sooner they launch the better.

[quote name='Deader2818']Everyone said that they would not be shocked at all if the new systems were announced before E3. He was going on about it launching before E3 which are two totally different things, lol.[/QUOTE]

Second time's the charm:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334068

Blasterman posted an article saying the Steam Box was CONFIRMED for 2013. Some people pointed out that there was no actual confirmation in the article and when the xi3 was announced earlier this month, Blasterman started tearing into the "naysayers" (which looks to have been deleted) in the very same manner as you see in this thread. Ignoring the fact that the xi3 was NOT the Steam Box, Blasterman seems to miss the point that people are arguing against his/her misleading words.

[quote name='Blaster man'] boom proven right. Awaiting apology.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry I just has to add a comment...you're a f**king idiot.

Launching means in the store, being sold.

Announcing means officially acknowledging it's existence, maybe showing it off, and wheels are in motion for a final design that leads to a launch

June 2011 (Announcement) is a lot different than November 2012 (Launch) for the Wii U...get it?

You said LAUNCH everyone laughed at the ridiculousness of that. It was pointed out that a slim model launched in a week...which is apples and oranges (console redesigns are generally the same price and and improved, directly effecting left over stock. Compared to a new console that plays different games, uses different accessories and is at least twice the price) THEN you change it to ANNOUNCED, which I think most people believed that both new consoles would be ANNOUNCED sometime before E3. This is NOT really a surprise.

You claimed LAUNCH and then YOU WERE WRONG. Then you changed to ANNOUNCED, which isn't a big deal...we all agreed. You were wrong and now demand everyone to apologize?

F**K YOU, you should be banned from here until you can prove you have some sort of reading comprehension skills. Damn idiot. /rant

I'm calm now, sorry his stubbornness brought that out.

[quote name='nintendokingdom']I'm sorry I just has to add a comment...you're a f**king idiot.

Launching means in the store, being sold.

Announcing means officially acknowledging it's existence, maybe showing it off, and wheels are in motion for a final design that leads to a launch

June 2011 (Announcement) is a lot different than November 2012 (Launch) for the Wii U...get it?

You said LAUNCH everyone laughed at the ridiculousness of that. It was pointed out that a slim model launched in a week...which is apples and oranges (console redesigns are generally the same price and and improved, directly effecting left over stock. Compared to a new console that plays different games, uses different accessories and is at least twice the price) THEN you change it to ANNOUNCED, which I think most people believed that both new consoles would be ANNOUNCED sometime before E3. This is NOT really a surprise.

You claimed LAUNCH and then YOU WERE WRONG. Then you changed to ANNOUNCED, which isn't a big deal...we all agreed. You were wrong and now demand everyone to apologize?

F**K YOU, you should be banned from here until you can prove you have some sort of reading comprehension skills. Damn idiot. /rant

I'm calm now, sorry his stubbornness brought that out.[/QUOTE]
Clearly I meant announce. I even said so later if you actually read the thread you moron.
[quote name='Anexanhume']That thread says nothing about them launching, just being announced in between GDC and E3.[/QUOTE]

That's fine. Announce not launch. Semantics as far as I'm concerned as most people won't want to buy the Xbox 360 or PS3 once the announcements happen. IMO these sales for the 360 and PS3 more or less give credence to these rumors.

Its not Semantics since Announce and Launch have two totally different meanings.

Its good that you admit you were wrong, but don't come in here saying "boom proven right. Awaiting apology." When you know that what you said was completely wrong.

[quote name='deader2818']its not semantics since announce and launch have two totally different meanings.

Its good that you admit you were wrong, but don't come in here saying "boom proven right. Awaiting apology." when you know that what you said was completely wrong.

[/quote]

exactly what he said

[quote name='Blaster man']Clearly I meant announce. I even said so later if you actually read the thread you moron.

That's fine. Announce not launch. Semantics as far as I'm concerned as most people won't want to buy the Xbox 360 or PS3 once the announcements happen. IMO these sales for the 360 and PS3 more or less give credence to these rumors.[/QUOTE]

What "sales"? There is one sale, that doesn't mean anything, Best Buy probably just has too many and wants to get rid of some so that their sheets look better. At this point, you should just stop posting as people are starting to dislike you more and more. Don't mean to be harsh but seriously just stop.

bread's done
Back