PS Vita Earth Defense Force 3 Portable (PLAY-ASIA): $29.99

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 junghu

junghu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

This will be difficult considering half the USA alone, have no internet access.

This preorder is also available at Newegg.

I don't trust Newegg's information

#32 dallow

dallow

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Digital future is fine with me. This is really off topic though.

Good, cause it's bogus.

#33 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

78% of the US population has Internet.

78% have ACCESS to the internet...not necessarily access at home. Your statistic includes, work, libraries etc. Most employers frown upon people bringing their game systems in to mooch free internet service.
http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Understandable. I had heard the physical copy had been canceled. Easy enough to take a chance though with Newegg since they won't charge until it ships and its easy enough to cancel.
Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#34 Soma_Cruz

Soma_Cruz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

When it comes down to it, you will find there are in fact very few. This is a battle I have already fought and lost in the three industries I love more than games: books, music, and movies. Games are the last holdout because of the bandwidth required and the multiplayer aspects. But all-digital will happen. People are now getting weaned onto all-inclusive entertainment platforms that do not require leaving the couch. They already buy their music and movies this way - they're not going to get in the car just to go get a video game. Trust me, I take weekly trips to my local record stores (remember those?). I'm the only one there under 50 and the only one who has heard of deodorant. Video games will be the same way some day. Not in two years time of course, but things move quickly and people's preferences change surprisingly fast.

But you can buy physical books, movies, and cds.

#35 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Haha, I see my comment caused quite the tizzy among the luddites. No one said physical games would be driven into complete obsolesce, only that digital downloads would soon be the dominant form of distribution (certainly for niche games like Earth Defense). You can currently go to your local Best Buy for a CD, or visit a Barnes & Noble for a book if your hipster heart so desires. Heck, I'm sure there's a lonely Blockbuster out there renting out VHS tapes. That's of little concern to the majority of us embracing the trappings of the 21st century. Join us, there's room for all!

It's already happened on the PC. So why, then, wouldn't consoles naturally evolve in the same way? I agree, though, that Sony & Microsoft are going to have to do better with their "ownership" policy. If you buy something, it should be yours to access indefinitely.

#36 Edzo04

Edzo04

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

hopefully by the time everything is digital i will have a shelf that displays all my digital games holographically. only then will i accept digital games

#37 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Haha, I see my comment caused quite the tizzy among the luddites. No one said physical games would be driven into complete obsolesce, only that digital downloads would soon be the dominant form of distribution (certainly for niche games like Earth Defense). You can currently go to your local Best Buy for a CD, or visit a Barnes & Noble for a book if your hipster heart so desires. Heck, I'm sure there's a lonely Blockbuster out there renting out VHS tapes. That's of little concern to the majority of us embracing the trappings of the 21st century. Join us, there's room for all!

It's already happened on the PC. So why, then, wouldn't consoles naturally evolve in the same way? I agree, though, that Sony & Microsoft are going to have to do better with their "ownership" policy. If you buy something, it should be yours to access indefinitely.

:roll: Troll harder

#38 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

:roll: Troll harder

:cry: as you deflect harder. viscous cycle.

#39 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Just to throw a wedge in this argument: bandwidth caps across the US are so restrictive that they'll continue to stifle the notion of an all-digital software market for a long time to come.

I have a 250 GB cap with my current ISP, and I got 3 threatening letters from them in 2012, with the last one being a notice that they're suspending my service for 30 days. I don't use torrents, and my family only does a minimal amount of streaming via Netflix, so how did I manage to use over 250 GB's of download/upload bandwidth in a month? Steam sales, PSN sales, and re-downloading Steam content after a PC upgrade. All of this is truth.

Average software size is only going to continue to increase, especially with the new consoles supporting higher resolutions and richer audio. No way are consumers going to go all digital when bandwidth limits threaten to restrict or even suspend access to all of their content.

Also, f*ck PennTeleData and their over-priced, restrictive high-speed data packages.

#40 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hate to revive an old thread, but I just thought it was relevant to the debate we had the other week. Gamestop is projected to close over 500 stores this year. Don't know how much of that is related to the increase in demand for digital content, so take it for what it's worth.

Just to throw a wedge in this argument: bandwidth caps across the US are so restrictive that they'll continue to stifle the notion of an all-digital software market for a long time to come..

I'd say this is the biggest hurdle in regards to the growing proliferation of digital distribution, not people's unwillingness to part with discs. While most Americans have adequate access to internet, the quality of said connection definitely still remains a concern. We are so behind Europe in this respect, and I don't understand it.

#41 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hate to revive an old thread, but I just thought it was relevant to the debate we had the other week. Gamestop is projected to close over 500 stores this year. Don't know how much of that is related to the increase in demand for digital content, so take it for what it's worth.

I would say it has more to do with poor locations, than demand for digital content. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here Gamestop locations are on par with Target / Walmart and lot of them are quite close by.

Like on Novi road there is a Gamestop by TRU in a small strip mall and then across the street there is another one in 12 oaks mall. This is something like .2 miles (max) apart and literally across the street from one another... There are also a few in Westland that are PAINFULLY close, which I can't imagine is a smart business move or good for business.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#42 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I would say it has more to do with poor locations, than demand for digital content. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here Gamestop locations are on par with Target / Walmart and lot of them are quite close by.

Like on Novi road there is a Gamestop by TRU in a small strip mall and then across the street there is another one in 12 oaks mall. This is something like .2 miles (max) apart and literally across the street from one another... There are also a few in Westland that are PAINFULLY close, which I can't imagine is a smart business move or good for business.

This. There are about five of these stores within about 15 miles or so of where I live, and like you mentioned, two are literally right across the street from each other. It's weird.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#43 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

This. There are about five of these stores within about 15 miles or so of where I live, and like you mentioned, two are literally right across the street from each other. It's weird.

They finally seem to be whittling off some of the old EB fat they picked up in their purchase.