PS Vita Earth Defense Force 3 Portable (PLAY-ASIA): $29.99

Sorry

It's all Japanese though (text & voice)

Personally I prefer physical version regardless language barrier.

I really want this but I refuse to pay $40 for a digital version. I'd easily pay that for a physical copy if only it came in english. I suppose this isn't a story intensive game so it wouldn't be terrible to have it in Japanese but still, kind of annoying that it is the only way to get this game physically is in Japanese.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I really want this but I refuse to pay $40 for a digital version. I'd easily pay that for a physical copy if only it came in english. I suppose this isn't a story intensive game so it wouldn't be terrible to have it in Japanese but still, kind of annoying that it is the only way to get this game physically is in Japanese.[/QUOTE]

I hope this digital-only release doesn't become the norm for less popular titles released here.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Possible it'll coming out in the US this FALL :)[/QUOTE]

What are you even talking about? The game already game out but digital only

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I really want this but I refuse to pay $40 for a digital version. I'd easily pay that for a physical copy if only it came in english. I suppose this isn't a story intensive game so it wouldn't be terrible to have it in Japanese but still, kind of annoying that it is the only way to get this game physically is in Japanese.[/QUOTE]

I'd say equipping weapons could be a problem but there's a lot of grind in EDF anyway so there's time to try lots of different weapons out.

Welcome to...the future? DD releases will be the standard by 2015. Some of you guys need to come to terms with the idea. Physical will soon be like vinyl to the mp3.

[quote name='breakfuss']Welcome to...the future? DD releases will be the standard by 2015. Some of you guys need to come to terms with the idea. Physical will soon be like vinyl to the mp3.[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you mean by "the standard"? Are you really implying that physical media will no longer be available in just 2 years? You're out of your mind if you think that's the case.

I find it interesting that you mentioned vinyl because new albums are still released on vinyl. Much like physical media will be around for a long time to come...

[quote name='breakfuss']Welcome to...the future? DD releases will be the standard by 2015. Some of you guys need to come to terms with the idea. Physical will soon be like vinyl to the mp3.[/QUOTE]

And you're basing this on vita and pspGo sales? Good one.

This will be difficult considering half the USA alone, have no internet access.

This preorder is also available at Newegg.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']I think it's very possible because its the no. 1 way to eliminate used game sales which developers/publishers hate.[/QUOTE]
You will also have alienated GameStop from their most lucrative business. Good luck to the company that tries that first. It is more likely you will see that dev's get a share in pre-owned sales than a digital only business model.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']PC already has eliminated used game sales. If you weren't aware, the game industry does not like GameStop in fact they hate them and how they profit multiple times on their products. Just wait, the new consoles will have something in place to be more digital or kill used game sales. Online passes just aren't enough.[/QUOTE]
More digital? I can buy that... but if you're going purely digital, there is no infrastructure in the world that can support this at a high capacity. People would either need to subscribe to an ISP or find somewhere with that capability. It's not ready yet. Again, see pspGo and how that failed miserably.

Devs and customers both hate GameStop? Not news there :D. I love to see gamestop go under, but for the masses out there, it's the only place they know to get their (used) games. I'd be willing to bet that GameStop cuts a deal with devs for some kind of royalty.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']78% of the US population has Internet.[/QUOTE]
You're not just thinking US are you? There's more out there than the states.

BTW, this game looks great. I'll likely pick up a copy when it becomes more affordable.

I bought it when it first came out and its easily worth the $40 tag, though I would have liked to get it cheaper and have a physical copy. I've easily put 25+ hour into it already and I've beaten it once on normal, been grinding like crazy to get weapons. With Palewing it plays like a different game (new strategies and all) but its still a grind albeit a fun awesome grind. totally worth the price of admission regardless of what price you get it for.

[quote name='breakfuss']Welcome to...the future? DD releases will be the standard by 2015. Some of you guys need to come to terms with the idea.[/QUOTE]

When DD is the standard, I will stop buying games. I've already come to terms with this.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']78% of the US population has overpriced, slow as fuck Internet.[/QUOTE]
Fixed.

[quote name='morrodox']When DD is the standard, I will stop buying games. I've already come to terms with this.[/QUOTE]

That's the part I forgot to mention in my original reply which also goes with inhibiting the entertainment industry's full move toward full digital distribution because I can guarantee you that people there are more people like us out there who refuse to move toward a full digital ownership scheme.

It's impossible for an all digital console world that soon. Between US Internet providers being price gouging criminals even on slow Internet and the new trend of data caps it would be financial suicide for which ever console does this first. All digital is inevitable, but I'll be very surprised if it happens in the next 10 years. I don't doubt that more games will be made available digitally, but physical media won't be dying anytime soon.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I can guarantee you that people there are more people like us out there who refuse to move toward a full digital ownership scheme.[/QUOTE]

When it comes down to it, you will find there are in fact very few. This is a battle I have already fought and lost in the three industries I love more than games: books, music, and movies. Games are the last holdout because of the bandwidth required and the multiplayer aspects. But all-digital will happen. People are now getting weaned onto all-inclusive entertainment platforms that do not require leaving the couch. They already buy their music and movies this way - they're not going to get in the car just to go get a video game. Trust me, I take weekly trips to my local record stores (remember those?). I'm the only one there under 50 and the only one who has heard of deodorant. Video games will be the same way some day. Not in two years time of course, but things move quickly and people's preferences change surprisingly fast.

[quote name='illennium']When it comes down to it, you will find there are in fact very few. This is a battle I have already fought and lost in the three industries I love more than games: books, music, and movies. Games are the last holdout because of the bandwidth required and the multiplayer aspects. But all-digital will happen. People are now getting weaned onto all-inclusive entertainment platforms that do not require leaving the couch. They already buy their music and movies this way - they're not going to get in the car just to go get a video game. Trust me, I take weekly trips to my local record stores (remember those?). I'm the only one there under 50 and the only one who has heard of deodorant. Video games will be the same way some day. Not in two years time of course, but things move quickly and people's preferences change surprisingly fast.[/QUOTE]

The point I'm making though is that while you are correct in that digital distribution will increase in popularity in the coming years, it will be a long time before they are completely gone. Sure it'll become more and more of a niche market but all of the examples you gave still have physical media available. The majority of the sales in those areas has moved to digital but I can still go out and purchase the newest book, CD (or in album form, as well...), or movie in a physical format.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The point I'm making though is that while you are correct in that digital distribution will increase in popularity in the coming years, it will be a long time before they are completely gone. Sure it'll become more and more of a niche market but all of the examples you gave still have physical media available. The majority of the sales in those areas has moved to digital but I can still go out and purchase the newest book, CD (or in album form, as well...), or movie in a physical format.[/QUOTE]

Yes, agreed - physical will continue to exist as a niche market. The big releases will be available in both digital and physical formats. Smaller and more niche releases will be on a case by case basis - publishers will decide whether physical makes sense. That already happens with music and books where some releases are digital-only. Games are an interesting industry because unlike books, music, and movies where a majority of mainstream product is domestic in origin, so many big games come from overseas (Japan, Europe). I imagine those releases will have the greatest instances of digital-only releases to help streamline international distribution and defray localization costs. We'll see I guess.

[quote name='illennium']Yes, agreed - physical will continue to exist as a niche market. The big releases will be available in both digital and physical formats. Smaller and more niche releases will be on a case by case basis - publishers will decide whether physical makes sense. That already happens with music and books where some releases are digital-only. Games are an interesting industry because unlike books, music, and movies where a majority of mainstream product is domestic in origin, so many big games come from overseas (Japan, Europe). I imagine those releases will have the greatest instances of digital-only releases to help streamline international distribution and defray localization costs. We'll see I guess.[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to open up an import shop then, as I would be one to buy physical copy games internationally... unless they region lock the games.

[quote name='illennium']When it comes down to it, you will find there are in fact very few. This is a battle I have already fought and lost in the three industries I love more than games: books, music, and movies. Games are the last holdout because of the bandwidth required and the multiplayer aspects. But all-digital will happen. People are now getting weaned onto all-inclusive entertainment platforms that do not require leaving the couch. They already buy their music and movies this way - they're not going to get in the car just to go get a video game. Trust me, I take weekly trips to my local record stores (remember those?). I'm the only one there under 50 and the only one who has heard of deodorant. Video games will be the same way some day. Not in two years time of course, but things move quickly and people's preferences change surprisingly fast.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with music there's a reason why digital music has made it. The music industry doesn't enforce the license issue. With iTunes and Amazon you own the content and can even back it up. With movies and games you only own a license and cannot back them up. Look at Sony. If your console crashes you can't just simply redownload your movies. Both Sony and Microsoft can yank a game or a movie from their digital stores and the purchaser loses them. Until that is addressed digital will not pick up as quickly as you think. For me unless I have a guarantee that's digital purchase is mine and cannot randomly be taken away I will stick with a hard copy.

[quote name='Vader582']This will be difficult considering half the USA alone, have no internet access.

This preorder is also available at Newegg.[/QUOTE]

I don't trust Newegg's information

Digital future is fine with me. This is really off topic though.

[quote name='junghu']I don't trust Newegg's information[/QUOTE]
Good, cause it's bogus.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']78% of the US population has Internet.[/QUOTE]
78% have ACCESS to the internet...not necessarily access at home. Your statistic includes, work, libraries etc. Most employers frown upon people bringing their game systems in to mooch free internet service.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_the_United_States

[quote name='junghu']I don't trust Newegg's information[/QUOTE]
Understandable. I had heard the physical copy had been canceled. Easy enough to take a chance though with Newegg since they won't charge until it ships and its easy enough to cancel.

But you can buy physical books, movies, and cds.

Haha, I see my comment caused quite the tizzy among the luddites. No one said physical games would be driven into complete obsolesce, only that digital downloads would soon be the dominant form of distribution (certainly for niche games like Earth Defense). You can currently go to your local Best Buy for a CD, or visit a Barnes & Noble for a book if your hipster heart so desires. Heck, I'm sure there's a lonely Blockbuster out there renting out VHS tapes. That's of little concern to the majority of us embracing the trappings of the 21st century. Join us, there's room for all!

It's already happened on the PC. So why, then, wouldn't consoles naturally evolve in the same way? I agree, though, that Sony & Microsoft are going to have to do better with their "ownership" policy. If you buy something, it should be yours to access indefinitely.

hopefully by the time everything is digital i will have a shelf that displays all my digital games holographically. only then will i accept digital games

[quote name='breakfuss']Haha, I see my comment caused quite the tizzy among the luddites. No one said physical games would be driven into complete obsolesce, only that digital downloads would soon be the dominant form of distribution (certainly for niche games like Earth Defense). You can currently go to your local Best Buy for a CD, or visit a Barnes & Noble for a book if your hipster heart so desires. Heck, I'm sure there's a lonely Blockbuster out there renting out VHS tapes. That's of little concern to the majority of us embracing the trappings of the 21st century. Join us, there's room for all!

It's already happened on the PC. So why, then, wouldn't consoles naturally evolve in the same way? I agree, though, that Sony & Microsoft are going to have to do better with their "ownership" policy. If you buy something, it should be yours to access indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

:roll: Troll harder

[quote name='breakfuss']Haha, I see my comment caused quite the tizzy among the luddites. No one said physical games would be driven into complete obsolesce, only that digital downloads would soon be the dominant form of distribution (certainly for niche games like Earth Defense). You can currently go to your local Best Buy for a CD, or visit a Barnes & Noble for a book if your hipster heart so desires. Heck, I'm sure there's a lonely Blockbuster out there renting out VHS tapes. That's of little concern to the majority of us embracing the trappings of the 21st century. Join us, there's room for all!

It's already happened on the PC. So why, then, wouldn't consoles naturally evolve in the same way? I agree, though, that Sony & Microsoft are going to have to do better with their "ownership" policy. If you buy something, it should be yours to access indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

Just to throw a wedge in this argument: bandwidth caps across the US are so restrictive that they'll continue to stifle the notion of an all-digital software market for a long time to come.

I have a 250 GB cap with my current ISP, and I got 3 threatening letters from them in 2012, with the last one being a notice that they're suspending my service for 30 days. I don't use torrents, and my family only does a minimal amount of streaming via Netflix, so how did I manage to use over 250 GB's of download/upload bandwidth in a month? Steam sales, PSN sales, and re-downloading Steam content after a PC upgrade. All of this is truth.

Average software size is only going to continue to increase, especially with the new consoles supporting higher resolutions and richer audio. No way are consumers going to go all digital when bandwidth limits threaten to restrict or even suspend access to all of their content.

Also, f*ck PennTeleData and their over-priced, restrictive high-speed data packages.

Hate to revive an old thread, but I just thought it was relevant to the debate we had the other week. Gamestop is projected to close over 500 stores this year. Don't know how much of that is related to the increase in demand for digital content, so take it for what it's worth.

[quote name='AwRy108']Just to throw a wedge in this argument: bandwidth caps across the US are so restrictive that they'll continue to stifle the notion of an all-digital software market for a long time to come..[/QUOTE]

I'd say this is the biggest hurdle in regards to the growing proliferation of digital distribution, not people's unwillingness to part with discs. While most Americans have adequate access to internet, the quality of said connection definitely still remains a concern. We are so behind Europe in this respect, and I don't understand it.

[quote name='breakfuss']Hate to revive an old thread, but I just thought it was relevant to the debate we had the other week. Gamestop is projected to close over 500 stores this year. Don't know how much of that is related to the increase in demand for digital content, so take it for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

I would say it has more to do with poor locations, than demand for digital content. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here Gamestop locations are on par with Target / Walmart and lot of them are quite close by.

Like on Novi road there is a Gamestop by TRU in a small strip mall and then across the street there is another one in 12 oaks mall. This is something like .2 miles (max) apart and literally across the street from one another... There are also a few in Westland that are PAINFULLY close, which I can't imagine is a smart business move or good for business.

[quote name='admiralvic']I would say it has more to do with poor locations, than demand for digital content. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here Gamestop locations are on par with Target / Walmart and lot of them are quite close by.

Like on Novi road there is a Gamestop by TRU in a small strip mall and then across the street there is another one in 12 oaks mall. This is something like .2 miles (max) apart and literally across the street from one another... There are also a few in Westland that are PAINFULLY close, which I can't imagine is a smart business move or good for business.[/QUOTE]

This. There are about five of these stores within about 15 miles or so of where I live, and like you mentioned, two are literally right across the street from each other. It's weird.

[quote name='Mixer236']This. There are about five of these stores within about 15 miles or so of where I live, and like you mentioned, two are literally right across the street from each other. It's weird.[/QUOTE]

They finally seem to be whittling off some of the old EB fat they picked up in their purchase.

bread's done
Back