Tales of Xillia(PS3) up for pre-order at Gamestop

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#31 watcher0

watcher0

CAGmeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

If it weren't for some MSRP topics, a lot of people may have missed out on some collector's and limited editions. It's not technically a deal, but if you miss out, you'll have to pay out the ass somewhere else for it, so in that regard it saves you money.

This isn't a CE, but it's good to know they are taking pre-orders, and details for potential alternate editions may start to trickle in soon.

CEs, LEs, etc and things that are running out of stock, like Xenoblade recently, I get. But an MSRP pre-order for a vanilla copy is not a deal.
[URL="http://direct2drive.tellapal.com/a/clk/mgkpx"][/URL]

#32 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'm kinda torn here. I passed on getting Graces f at launch because it didn't seem all that interesting (and I'm glad I did) and honestly, some parts of the series is becoming a bit too cookie cutter for my tastes. Of course, it ended up working out nicely because of the European CE so I bought that instead-- same price, but with some nice extras.

Xillia doesn't interest me much either but man oh man, I really wanna see Xillia 2 released here. Xillia 2 looks like leaps and bounds better than any tales game released this gen.

Decisions, decisions...:-k

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#33 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

I think I'll stick to waiting for a price drop like I did with Graces. A sweet preorder bonus will absolutely shatter my stance though.

Exactly what I'm feeling atm
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#34 excellen

excellen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

A note to all Tales fan. NB said that they looking at Xillia sales to see whether they should continue publishing the series outside of Japan. So if this one doesn't sell well it could mean the end of the Tales series in NA/EU.

It's a catch 22 because xillia is a buggy, unfinished, lazy piece of crap. One of the worst tales games in recent memory. Xillia 2 is basically the game xillia should have been, and reuses a ton of xillia 1's areas even. It's basically as if xillia was a beta version with a different story. But unfortunately if xillia doesn't sell well here then xillia 2 doesn't come over.

#35 GDB

GDB

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

No more local co-op = no buy at full price for me :(
And perhaps we can have a master thread for all MSRP preorders. Or do we already have one?

Where'd you hear it doesn't have local co-op? It has just as much co-op as any other Tales game has, it just functions a bit oddly due to the link system (as in, it works better to link to a CPU than a player). But if you're just playing with one other person, nothing's stopping you from each linking to a CPU and being fine.

quietly hoping they have a exclusive offer like a steel book or something

They probably won't, but I'm sure Gamestop will have exclusive pre-order costumes (Jude!Cress and Milla!Stahn) again.

It's a catch 22 because xillia is a buggy, unfinished, lazy piece of crap. One of the worst tales games in recent memory. Xillia 2 is basically the game xillia should have been, and reuses a ton of xillia 1's areas even. It's basically as if xillia was a beta version with a different story. But unfortunately if xillia doesn't sell well here then xillia 2 doesn't come over.

On the contrary, I love Xillia. I can't think of anything buggy off the top of my head, and it's finished just fine. Just because they rush the bonus dungeon and don't include as many side quests as most Tales games doesn't mean it's unfinished. And of course Xillia 2 feels like "the game Xillia should have been". It reuses like 90% of its areas from Xillia 1. You can count on one hand the number of new zones, basically. And as nice as Xillia 2 is in some ways, it's horrible in others. I currently rank Xillia as my #2 Tales game, behind only Vesperia PS3, with Xillia 2 as my #3.

Long story short, opinions. Everyone has them.

#36 Tsukinikawatte

Tsukinikawatte

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

IMHO Xillia was better than Xillia 2. Storywise it feels like the main characers from Xillia got swept under the rug towards the end.
Items from the other man in Japan! dv8CAG.com
Posted Image

#37 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Where'd you hear it doesn't have local co-op? It has just as much co-op as any other Tales game has, it just functions a bit oddly due to the link system (as in, it works better to link to a CPU than a player). But if you're just playing with one other person, nothing's stopping you from each linking to a CPU and being fine.

Thanks for the info, I forgot where I read it, but it was a post summing up the shortcoming of the game. Perhaps the poster didn't get his facts straight. Usually I resort to Cooptimus but they don't have this game in their database yet.

So from what I understand now is that it still works with 2 local players, which is all I need. Thanks again for providing some clarification, google results regarding this issue is mostly "question posts" with no "official" answer.

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#38 Slade

Slade

Coordinated Insanity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

I was hoping to catch the release date but I suppose that's still up in the air.

Sure is taking them a while.

Fighting game enthusiast (BatousaiJ) and Editor at ZTGD

#39 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

No more local co-op = no buy at full price for me :(
And perhaps we can have a master thread for all MSRP preorders. Or do we already have one?

WHAT?! No local Co-op? That's like making a *bow* shooter and calling it a zelda game! (oh yeah they did that already....) I was really looking forward to this one... It gets a pass from me too. :(

EDIT: Ok good, it looks like everything will be fine after all... I should have kept reading the thread but reading that sent me into panic mode.

#40 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

As soon as I read this, I thought, "I wonder how long it will be until some wet blanket comes in and complains about this being the deal thread." Turns out, just two replies. I, for one, appreciated the heads up.

I'm confused: why would you call people "wet blankets" because they try to adhere to and maintain a set of pre-defined forum guidelines? Sorry if following the rules cramps your mojo, Fonzie.

What part of the title "Video Game Deals" is so difficult for people to understand? If you're coming to the CAG "Video Game Deals" forum to find out about MSRP pre-orders, then you're doing it wrong--there's plenty of other places to go for this info., including several on CAG.

#41 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Xilia 2 was horrible, fyi. i recommend getting Xilia 2 after it's on sale....if it ever comes out in usa

#42 MulderYuffie

MulderYuffie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

Hope we get a CE sure hope it's Namco Store Exclusive too. Digital River is so great.

#43 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

I'm confused: why would you call people "wet blankets" because they try to adhere to and maintain a set of pre-defined forum guidelines? Sorry if following the rules cramps your mojo, Fonzie.

What part of the title "Video Game Deals" is so difficult for people to understand? If you're coming to the CAG "Video Game Deals" forum to find out about MSRP pre-orders, then you're doing it wrong--there's plenty of other places to go for this info., including several on CAG.

Because this thread isn't bothering anyone, and it's quite helpful. Why does this forum have to be defined so narrowly. I appreciate getting a heads up about this kind of thing, as it has to do with sales for video games that I might be interested in. What's the big deal? Just don't read those threads.

#44 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

Here is the post which I got the source of no local coop
http://m.neogaf.com/....php?p=38425126
It's in the post summing up the shortcomings of the game and why he is not buying xillia 2. This thread is the top three results when you google tales of xillia local co op.
Glad CAGs debunked my concern. Sorry again for causing confusions.

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#45 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

I think I am done with Gamestop for good after last week. I picked up my ni no kuni preorder from them on Tuesday and had the sales guy try to keep my steelbook until I finally reminded him it came with that steelbook that was right next to the game when he pulled it out of the drawer then he informed me for an extra $3 they would guarantee my game in the event it didn't work when I got home. So now we have to pay an insurance fee so that they will stand behind the product they sell? Forget that.

Sounds like someone's being pressured to sell product replacement plans. Offering it for PS3, Vita, DS, or WiiU games is stupid to do, but it's helpful for people buying 360, Wii, or PS2 games for those that don't treat games properly.

That associate shouldn't word it like that though and needs some coaching. Should say in case you scratch or crack the game disc. Also sucks they tried to keep the Steelbook from you. File a complaint with the info at the bottom of the receipt if you want to get him in trouble.

Edited by MSUHitman, 29 January 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#46 outerfox

outerfox

Allow Ants Peas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

Hope we get a CE sure hope it's Namco Store Exclusive too. Digital River is so great.

I know, right? Who wouldn't want it to be another exclusive?

On a side note, I haven't played a Tales game since one that was on GBA. Have they changed much, battle system-wise?

#47 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

I hope the CE only has very limited copies and they announce a date and time on their Facebook page for when it will go live. This way everything will be neat, organized, and go incredibly smoothly.

#48 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

I know, right? Who wouldn't want it to be another exclusive?

On a side note, I haven't played a Tales game since one that was on GBA. Have they changed much, battle system-wise?

I found the GBA one unplayable personally, which was after only playing Symphonia.

Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia are all similar and all very good, each adds their own slight changes to battles. Graces is the only one I've played that changes up the formula, which is also pretty good.

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#49 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

How the hell do you play a story-based RPG like this online? No local co-op is moronic, that was always the biggest draw for me with the tales games, next to the great story.
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#50 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

I really hope there isn't a Namco Exclusive <_<. That Ni No Kuni mess up was just too massive, I'm never willingly planning on dealing with that companies website
Posted ImagePosted Image

#51 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

I really hope there isn't a Namco Exclusive <_<. That Ni No Kuni mess up was just too massive, I'm never willingly planning on dealing with that companies website

You forgot to add not dealing with Digital River ever again ;)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#52 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

I saw the title/thread, hoping there was a pre-order bonus. Not yet, here's to hoping there will be one!

#53 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

I saw the title/thread, hoping there was a pre-order bonus. Not yet, here's to hoping there will be one!

Should have DLC costumes like Tales of Graces

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#54 YellowGameboyColor

YellowGameboyColor

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thanks OP! I would've missed this...for a few days at least :)

#55 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

there's no local co-op because of the link system. NPCs do certain things depending on the conditions you pulled when you are linked specifically to them. it works well, but also makes the game easier than past Tales of games.

I recommend Xilia 1 though, it was a good game a different flow of Tales... the way I describe the game is FFX of Tales of... in many ways, it's similar (difference wise).

#56 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

there's no local co-op because of the link system. NPCs do certain things depending on the conditions you pulled when you are linked specifically to them. it works well, but also makes the game easier than past Tales of games.

I recommend Xilia 1 though, it was a good game a different flow of Tales... the way I describe the game is FFX of Tales of... in many ways, it's similar (difference wise).

Your conclusions contradict with previous posters, which is why this local co op issue is very confusing to me as of now.:cold:

Mathematically Correct.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#57 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Well, I have the Japanese one...looked at the cover and it says 1 Player only on it. Xilia 2 says 1 (1-4 during battle)

Personally, I never tried multiplayer directly so I was judging by what the back cover was written. if i am wrong (since I never checked myself directly) i appologize

#58 Reraise

Reraise

No Sale, No Buy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

I think I am done with Gamestop for good after last week. I picked up my ni no kuni preorder from them on Tuesday and had the sales guy try to keep my steelbook until I finally reminded him it came with that steelbook that was right next to the game when he pulled it out of the drawer then he informed me for an extra $3 they would guarantee my game in the event it didn't work when I got home. So now we have to pay an insurance fee so that they will stand behind the product they sell? Forget that.

The reason for him trying to keep your steelbook is most likely they didnt get enough to cover all the preorders. The gamestop i used to be a manager in had to do this a lot. The policy was if someone "forgot" to ask for their steelbook/extra pre order items they werent offered, and if they came back later, it was too late because we ran out making it the customers fault for not asking.

When corporate dont send enough items to guarantee what they offer its the stores that have to face angry people. The Witcher 2 keychains were a prime example. We had 42 pre orders, each was going to get a chain. We had 15 chains delivered. We were told to only give them out on pickup of the game if asked. This is one reason i no longer work there. Its bullshit that a company you work had for dont care about you and wont back you up. When customers complained on their receipts about not getting items, the managers got punished, like we could make keychains appear out of our ass.

#59 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

I've never used the multiplayer, so that doesn't matter to me. This looks to be another very high quality Tales game. I can't wait to sink a good 130 or so hours into it! :D

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#60 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Wha? No more local co-op in Tales? Lame.

Who actually plays these games in MP?

I will be buying Xillia ASAP

A note to all Tales fan. NB said that they looking at Xillia sales to see whether they should continue publishing the series outside of Japan. So if this one doesn't sell well it could mean the end of the Tales series in NA/EU.

Are you fucking serious?

God damn it I guess Graces F must not have done as well as I'd hoped if this is true... and if it happens not even XSEED could probably convince them to let them bring games over.

Honestly, they missed their biggest opportunities early in the PSP lifecycle and during the PS2's lifecycle for Tales to really shine in the west.

Now days most tales games are a generation behind technologically/graphically. So that doesn't help.
Hell, even FFXII has better texturing than Xillia does. And that's a PS2 game...