Best gaming laptop for under $500/desktop for under $400?

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
And before anyone says go with a PC, I need portability. That said, I would like to run Civ V, Guild Wars 2, really any game that's come out in the past few years. I'm not looking for Ultra settings, so 768p with normal settings and probably no AA is fine, I just want 30+ FPS.

So, any idea's? $500 is pretty firm since I originally was looking to replace my desktop and my budget was around $400. But a laptop would be ideal for my needs. Now, if someone can find a nice gaming desktop for $400 or less, I might be interested in that as well.

What I want is something similar to a Mac mini in form factor, with HDMI for hookup to TV, but Windows and cheap. For gaming in general, but especially for running Minecraft, both the game and as a Minecraft server. So it doesn't need to be super powerful, just powerful enough to run that.

[quote name='crunchewy']What I want is something similar to a Mac mini in form factor, with HDMI for hookup to TV, but Windows and cheap. For gaming in general, but especially for running Minecraft, both the game and as a Minecraft server. So it doesn't need to be super powerful, just powerful enough to run that.[/QUOTE]

That an avenue I never really considered. Essentially a small PC box with reasonable specs. I already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse. I just want a mid-range CPU and a GPU that can render last years' games at 30+ fps with normal settings. If it can do higher settings or more FPS on normal, that's a bonus. I'm just tired of a large tower to be completely honest.

For a lower end budget I would try to pick up a mid ranged CPU/gpu /ram and salvage as much from your old pc as possible... might need to get a new mobo as well.

You Can get a Phenom ii x4, 6800 radeon, and 4 gigs of ram for around 250 probably.

[quote name='huldrelok']For a lower end budget I would try to pick up a mid ranged CPU/gpu /ram and salvage as much from your old pc as possible... might need to get a new mobo as well.

You Can get a Phenom ii x4, 6800 radeon, and 4 gigs of ram for around 250 probably.[/QUOTE]
Well, I definitely need a new CPU/Mobo/RAM/HDD. Those are definite. I just bought a Fractal Design Core 3000 case Fall of last year along with a CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W PSU. So...really, maybe I will look at a new mobo/CPU/RAM. Most motherboards have on-board video to handle the basics I believe. Which would give me time to look at new graphics cards (in a month or two).

Only problem is I have $150 in Best Buy gift cards, which is why I was trying to find a Laptop/Budget PC there. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: I'm wondering if maybe an aftermarket cooler would help my 4850? It's idling at 80's these days with the stock cooler and a room temp of about 75 (we don't control our heat). It's a nice card...

EDIT2: on second thought, I would probably be better off spending that money on a new graphics card. Better card, warranty, lower heat this time for sure.

EDIT3: damn it! shrike4242 was right, I should just build a new PC (again). I have a new case and PSU. If I could get a mobo/cpu/ram/HDD for $250 or less (from Newegg or something), I think I'll do that. I'm sure I'll use these Best Buy GCs sometime. Or maybe I can throw them up on my TL and a fellow CAG will want to trade.

OK, so...I need help choosing between two laptops (building a new PC is out of the question, I MUST have a laptop for work now):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...218840472589&skuId=7337066#tab=specifications

• AMD A6-Series
  • 2.7GHz (with Turbo CORE up to 3.2GHz)
  • 4GB
  • AMD Radeon HD 7520G

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...218858585458&skuId=7704125#tab=specifications

• Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i3
  • 2.5GHz
  • 4GB
  • Mobile Intel® HD

Again, I'm looking for some light gaming (low settings is fine so long as FPS is 30+) and portability. I'm looking to keep this purchase around $400 (before taxes) so if you know of a better system for around $400, please let me know. Currently, I'm leaning towards the AMD system only because I hear the Radeon HD 7520G is better than the i3 + Mobile Intel HD graphics.

[quote name='SynGamer']OK, so...I need help choosing between two laptops (building a new PC is out of the question, I MUST have a laptop for work now):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...218840472589&skuId=7337066#tab=specifications

• AMD A6-Series
  • 2.7GHz (with Turbo CORE up to 3.2GHz)
  • 4GB
  • AMD Radeon HD 7520G

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...218858585458&skuId=7704125#tab=specifications

• Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i3
  • 2.5GHz
  • 4GB
  • Mobile Intel® HD

Again, I'm looking for some light gaming (low settings is fine so long as FPS is 30+) and portability. I'm looking to keep this purchase around $400 (before taxes) so if you know of a better system for around $400, please let me know. Currently, I'm leaning towards the AMD system only because I hear the Radeon HD 7520G is better than the i3 + Mobile Intel HD graphics.[/QUOTE]
Both are pretty weak.

If you have any other suggestions for my $400 price range, please tell. As I said, I am fully aware I'll be getting a low-spec machine that will likely only run certain games on low settings. I might be able to budget in $450 if that helps with regards to the graphics card.

[quote name='b4mv']Honestly, Just watch slickdeals until you see a good deal and bite.[/QUOTE]

I ended up going with the HP ENVY m6-1205dx. $629 - $150 BB GC's + tax = $535.11

It has an A10 + 7660G so it should fit my needs. Plus, it was only $70-100 more than what I was originally going to pay.

[quote name='tylerh1701']^It looks like it's on sale for $599 this week. You may be able to go back and price match and get $30 back, assuming they do pricematching for computers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+EN...324&skuId=7701076&ref=39&CJPID=1312731&loc=01[/QUOTE]
Yep, saw that the other day and got the $30+tax back on the card, no problem. For the record, this computer has been a champ so far. I've tried a few games so far (AutoClubRevolution, Civ V, Magicka, RACE 07...) and so far everything has been playable at 1366x768 on Medium settings. So I have plenty of overhead if I need to lower a few settings. Quite pleased so far. Also, it appears no other stores are carrying this computer, weird.

bread's done
Back