Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2013 MLB Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1161 replies to this topic

#31 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

This is the most optimistic I've been about the Braves for several years. Upgraded the roster with the Uptons and didn't lose anything of note other than Prado (and Chipper retiring).

Heyward and Freeman should keep getting better, as well as the young pitchers.

#32 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Todd Helton's mugshot:

Posted Image

#33 Arikado

Arikado

...Like Clockwork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

This is the most optimistic I've been about the Braves for several years. Upgraded the roster with the Uptons and didn't lose anything of note other than Prado (and Chipper retiring).

The NL East is going to be entertaining this year for sure.

Todd Helton's mugshot:

Hahaha, ouch.

#34 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

No Grandy Man and now no Big Tex. I think it is safe to say that this isn't the Yankees year.

http://espn.go.com/n...ks-wrist-injury

Posted Image

#35 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

No Grandy Man and now no Big Tex. I think it is safe to say that this isn't the Yankees year.

http://espn.go.com/n...ks-wrist-injury

The Yankees might as well bring back Jason Giambi or Tino Martinez at this point. Hell, bring in Damon now too. If this year is going to suck complete ass, at least make it a love letter to the fans. After letting Russell Martin walk, I already wished that Posada was still here. Might as well get Clemens out there again too, lol. It can't get much worse. I can't believe that Mo and Pettitte are going to waste the last year of their careers on this kind of team. Really sucks.

#36 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

If you're bored, you can see the http://espn.go.com/b...grueling-tests'>grueling workout MLB players take. Or see the http://espn.go.com/m...alienating-fans '>right way and the wrong way to switch teams.

#37 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

The Yankees might as well bring back Jason Giambi or Tino Martinez at this point. Hell, bring in Damon now too. If this year is going to suck complete ass, at least make it a love letter to the fans. After letting Russell Martin walk, I already wished that Posada was still here. Might as well get Clemens out there again too, lol. It can't get much worse. I can't believe that Mo and Pettitte are going to waste the last year of their careers on this kind of team. Really sucks.

I think Corey Hart would be a good fit. He can field 1B/RF and a 125 wRC+ is alright. Doubt Brewers would want much in return, FA after this year and is owed 10m.

Edit: Ugh Hart is out until April. Guess the only options are giving up the farm for Headley or staying put.

#38 granturismo

granturismo

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

If you're bored, you can see the grueling workout MLB players take. Or see the right way and the wrong way to switch teams.

Thanks!:)

#39 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

If Halladay really only averaged 87 MPH in his most recent start, he's done.
Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#40 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Have a few spots open for a Yahoo Baseball Fantasy League. Fun, head to head with the following stats:

Batters Stat Categories:
Home Runs (HR), Stolen Bases (SB), On-base Percentage (OBP), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Pitchers Stat Categories:
Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9), Quality Starts (QS)

PM for league # and password.

Edited by HornyPony, 13 March 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#41 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

If Halladay really only averaged 87 MPH in his most recent start, he's done.

Optimism, I have it.

#42 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

Optimism, I have it.

If he can get his velocity back up to 92 (what he averaged in 2011) he'll be fine, but on average, spring training velocity is only 0.6 MPH slower than regular season velocity. I just don't see it happening. Shoulder injuries lead to a loss in velocity, so I think the lat issue is still bothering him.

#43 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

If he can get his velocity back up to 92 (what he averaged in 2011) he'll be fine, but on average, spring training velocity is only 0.6 MPH slower than regular season velocity. I just don't see it happening. Shoulder injuries lead to a loss in velocity, so I think the lat issue is still bothering him.

A 39 year old Mike Mussina won 20 games in the AL BEast in 2008, topping out around 88 mph. It's called "learning how to pitch". 88 can look pretty fast when you throw a changeup at 72. I know it's not popular or sexy...but it can be done.

#44 TerraBemani

TerraBemani

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

Well guys like Tom Glavine and Maddux did very well and threw around 87-92 at max. So I think he still has a chance. And yeah I've been a baseball fan for a while. Just never came to the thread here before. XD

#45 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

A 39 year old Mike Mussina won 20 games in the AL BEast in 2008, topping out around 88 mph. It's called "learning how to pitch". 88 can look pretty fast when you throw a changeup at 72. I know it's not popular or sexy...but it can be done.

The reason Halladay was so effective was that he had a four seam fastball and two seam fastball that averaged 92-93, and his cutter sat at 91-92. That's three pitches at the same speed, and could be thrown to both sides of the plate with excellent movement in several directions. He can't throw an 88 MPH four seam fastball without getting destroyed, and his 82-84 MPH changeup/splitter isn't nearly as effective with a 5 MPH difference with his fastballs as opposed to an 8-10 MPH difference.

He got hit hard last season and was still hitting 90-91 with his 2 seam and 88-89 with his cutter. There's just no way to positively spin the fact that he's lost another 3-5 MPH off his fastball in one year.

#46 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

With pitching, it's all about location. If he can locate those pitches on the corners and throw them off his breaking pitches, then he will still be good. You don't have to be in the 90s to be effective if you change speeds and locate properly.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#47 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

The reason Halladay was so effective was that he had a four seam fastball and two seam fastball that averaged 92-93, and his cutter sat at 91-92. That's three pitches at the same speed, and could be thrown to both sides of the plate with excellent movement in several directions. He can't throw an 88 MPH four seam fastball without getting destroyed, and his 82-84 MPH changeup/splitter isn't nearly as effective with a 5 MPH difference with his fastballs as opposed to an 8-10 MPH difference.

He got hit hard last season and was still hitting 90-91 with his 2 seam and 88-89 with his cutter. There's just no way to positively spin the fact that he's lost another 3-5 MPH off his fastball in one year.

I JUST explained how it could be done. If he slows down his change up (ie. changes his grip), it'll be more than a 5 mph difference...and he'll be fine. I gave you a real world example of someone who did the exact same thing 5 years ago. Mussina also threw a 4 seamer and 2 seamer...with excellent movement...to both sides of the plate. Mussina was TERRIBLE in 2007 (and the beginning of 2008) because he was still trying to pitch the way he always had.

But if the pitcher can recognize his weaknesses and adjust, he can still be successful. If he still tries to ram home what used to work when he was 28, yeah...he's going to have a hard go of it. But you talk about it as though it's some impossible problem.

#48 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I JUST explained how it could be done. If he slows down his change up (ie. changes his grip), it'll be more than a 5 mph difference...and he'll be fine. I gave you a real world example of someone who did the exact same thing 5 years ago. Mussina also threw a 4 seamer and 2 seamer...with excellent movement...to both sides of the plate. Mussina was TERRIBLE in 2007 (and the beginning of 2008) because he was still trying to pitch the way he always had.

But if the pitcher can recognize his weaknesses and adjust, he can still be successful. If he still tries to ram home what used to work when he was 28, yeah...he's going to have a hard go of it. But you talk about it as though it's some impossible problem.

For every Mike Mussina (his 2008 season was a fluke, I should add. His swinging strike rate was better than only Livan Hernandez's that season. His K/9 should have been at least 1 per 9 lower), there's an Ubaldo Jimenez, Tommy Hanson, Tim Lincecum, and Josh Beckett. If declining velocity were easily overcome for power pitchers, more pitchers would avoid declining performance. So yes, it's nearly an impossible problem, especially when you're down nearly 6 MPH from 2010, as Halladay is.

#49 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

For every Mike Mussina (his 2008 season was a fluke, I should add. His swinging strike rate was better than only Livan Hernandez's that season. His K/9 should have been at least 1 per 9 lower), there's an Ubaldo Jimenez, Tommy Hanson, Tim Lincecum, and Josh Beckett. If declining velocity were easily overcome for power pitchers, more pitchers would avoid declining performance. So yes, it's nearly an impossible problem, especially when you're down nearly 6 MPH from 2010, as Halladay is.

You realize that strikeouts aren't the only way to get an out right? Go look at Mussina's GB/FB ratio for that year. It was the highest for ground balls he ever had (seeing conflicting numbers for this...but it was at least 1.38). And his location was phenomenal, as his BB/9 was way down (1.4...a career low). I don't know any other way to describe that other than actually learning how to pitch. Your list of pitchers is unimpressive because it's filled with guys who are far too prideful to ever actually recognize that their ability has diminished, and they need to make adjustments (though for Lincecum...we'll see).

If Halladay wants the end of his career to be defined as a former badass who can't blow a ball by a hitter anymore, then yeah...he's going to struggle. But if he can embrace getting inside a hitter's head and watching him freeze on a mid 70s changeup, there's no reason he can't have success. It's up to him. Citing other pitchers who have refused to make the change proves nothing. I'm not saying it's easy...but the reason you don't see it more isn't because it's impossible. It's because most power pitchers are arrogant as hell. You act like there's not a proven history of pitchers throwing with less stuff. Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine have already been brought up as well. It just takes a bit of humility and a willingness to reinvent yourself.

Edited by n8rockerasu, 14 March 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#50 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Those other pitchers named have never come close to the levels of Mussina and Halladay, so there is plenty of fault comparing them to Halladay. Halladay is smart, and besides, it's spring training. It's kind of the point of spring training to pace yourself.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#51 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Teixeira revealed that he has a partially torn tendon sheath, not a strain. He could be done for the year and likely won't be back in the original 8 to 10 week time frame given by the club. Gonna be a long, long, long, long season for the Yankees, unless they can pull off a miracle move.

#52 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Teixeira revealed that he has a partially torn tendon sheath, not a strain. He could be done for the year and likely won't be back in the original 8 to 10 week time frame given by the club. Gonna be a long, long, long, long season for the Yankees, unless they can pull off a miracle move.

The decision of letting Chavez go looks terrible now. Hell, with very little options, maybe Cashman can workout a trade with Arizona since they signed Prado long-term.

#53 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Looks like Jeets is missing the start of the regular season. Boo hoo.

#54 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

It's just spring training. Surely. Mountains and molehills. Etc.

Puig is batting .521. lolwut

The Astros move to the AL has made me a sad panda. No more twice annual pilgrimage to see the NL West come to town, once to cheer the Dodgers and once to heckle Giants fans.
Posted Image

#55 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Puig is now 10 for his last 11 and is up to .547. I can't remember the last preseason tear quite this ridiculous. And it's not like he's done it in 20 ABs. He's above 50 (60?) now.

And still hasn't walked.

The Dodgers stadium renovation is expected to be finished Friday at a cost of $100m. I think they might be running out of things to spend money on.
Posted Image

#56 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Forgot to post this before but http://mlb.mlb.com/n...s_mlb&c_id=mlb'>MLB is suing the company that supplied PEDs to the players on the steroid report from a few months ago.

#57 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

My buddy is arguing that Puig is better fantasy draft pick than Brown in the 25th round. Puig, who played 14 games in A ball has more fantasy value than Brown, who will most likely be hitting on top of Phillies order.

#58 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

My buddy is arguing that Puig is better fantasy draft pick than Brown in the 25th round. Puig, who played 14 games in A ball has more fantasy value than Brown, who will most likely be hitting on top of Phillies order.

If you draft Puig, he's going to do what he's supposed to do: Double A and Triple A late in the season. No call up at all. If your buddy drafts him: Ethier will crash into the wall in the opener and Puig will go on to win RoY, MVP, and the Triple Crown.

His future is in your hands Pony. Proceed accordingly.
Posted Image

#59 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

If you draft Puig, he's going to do what he's supposed to do: Double A and Triple A late in the season. No call up at all. If your buddy drafts him: Ethier will crash into the wall in the opener and Puig will go on to win RoY, MVP, and the Triple Crown.

His future is in your hands Pony. Proceed accordingly.

Not anymore, sadly. Last draft of the year and Brown was drafted in the 18th. I baited my buddy to use his 19th pick on Puig. Ended up snatching Saltalamacchia with my 25th round pick which is fucking amazing in my opinion.

Oh and Yankees are close to acquiring Wells. They will pay 4-8 mill of his contract for the next two years. Guess it's only a matter of time before Howard will be manning 1B with Zitto on the mound.

#60 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Vernon Wells is going to the Yankees it seems. I wonder how much money the Angels are having to pay in this deal.
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image