2013 MLB Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1161 replies to this topic

#931 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

The Rangers/Angels game looks like it could be another 1-0 Darvish loss. It would be his fifth of the year. 

Posted Image

#932 tonyv4

tonyv4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Rays win so Rangers must win in order to remain in contention

#933 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

In a rather disappointing season, the farewells to Mo and Pettitte this past week were really something special. Mo decides that his last game should be in Yankee Stadium and Andy pitches his final game in his hometown and throws a complete game. It's not a World Series win, but considering the circumstances, that was great to see.

#934 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Well, tonight should be fun. 

Posted Image

#935 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

The Yankees better just stand the hell back and laugh when no team offers him that. He's about to turn 31. I think giving him any more than 8 years is insane. If he wants a 10 year deal, he needs to factor in how ridiculously overpaid he would be for those final few years and take a lower yearly amount to compensate. When you factor that in, even 10 years, $220 million is a hell of a lot. And he still hasn't put up the individual numbers that A-Rod or Pujols did when they were commanding that kind of money anyway.

Cano is a good player, but I still don't see him as a team leader. The Yankees should make him an offer of what they think he's actually worth, and then just tell him "If another team is willing to pay you more than this, please, give us an opportunity to match it to make sure you retire in pinstripes as a great Yankee." And if he's "insulted" by that or doesn't give a shit about being a Yankee, then Fuck him. Baseball is such a fickle sport where high paid players underperform and no name players play way over their heads, it's ridiculous allowing a player to dictate his "worth" with some threat that you'll be without him. The Cardinals sure don't seem to be missing Albert Pujols much.

Yep we got a stud with the Angels draft pick (Wacha) and not paying Pujols meant we could resign Molina, Craig, and Wainwright while Beltran has provided pretty much what Pujols did in 2011.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#936 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm a little confused on the post-season on mlb.tv. Is that included with the "year" I paid for, or is that extra? Do I even get to see it at all? I see a thing on mlb.tv about post season alternate angles companion for $4.99, but it doesn't sound like that is the main feed anyway. Do I get the main feed on MLB.tv?

Crunchewy.png

#937 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

It is such BS that steroid players are allowed to play in minor league games while they are suspended which is just what Nelson Cruz has been doing. 

No.

MLB.TV Postseason Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, all live games will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada. If you are an MLB.TV Subscriber outside of the United States and Canada, each of these games will be available live and as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV subscriber within the United States or Canada, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game.

Postseason.TV: Subscribers to Postseason.TV, available only during the MLB Postseason, will be able to view live alternative video feeds (excluding the broadcast feed) from MLB Postseason games without blackout restrictions.

Live Audio of those games subject to the blackout restrictions reflected above is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription, as part of MLB.com Gameday Audio.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#938 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Lame. :(

Crunchewy.png

#939 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, no, it's not "bullshit" that players can play in instructional leagues. It's perfectly legal and abides by the rules. 

Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#940 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

He never said it was against the rules. He said it was bullshit, and I agree.

pitfall_harry219.png

Now playing: :ps4: Madden 15, :ps3: ICO, :ps3: NBA Jam On Fire Edition

#941 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

How so? A player shouldn't be able to stay in shape and play in games while they are suspended? 

Posted Image

#942 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

How so? A player shouldn't be able to stay in shape and play in games while they are suspended? 

No they should be forced to do that on their own time. They CHEATED. How is that fair to other players that work hard and play legally? They should be punished. Not just get some time off. The punishment is a slap on the wrist as it is. The fact that they are allowed to come back and play in the playoffs is bad enough, let alone play in games with the team in any level of the minors while they are suspended.

#943 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

No, because it's a punishment.

pitfall_harry219.png

#944 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

The punishment is 50 games. That's it. The player has the right to play in whatever instructional league he wants and do whatever they want to get back to peak shape. And technically, they are doing on "their own time." 

Posted Image

#945 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

No they should be forced to do that on their own time. They CHEATED.

Practically every single baseball player since the game was popularized has cheated. Baseball IS cheating. They cheated 100 years ago, they will cheat 100 years from now. The only way to stop cheating in baseball is to get rid of baseball all together.

#946 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Practically every single baseball player since the game was popularized has cheated. Baseball IS cheating. They cheated 100 years ago, they will cheat 100 years from now. The only way to stop cheating in baseball is to get rid of baseball all together.

This. Jonah Keri wrote a great article about A-Rod that highlighted just how many people have cheated over time. Mays and Aaron cheated and no one cares. Also no one cares that every football player is a roided up freak.

Also if someone is working on their game while they aren't getting paid, what is the big deal?

Posted Image

#947 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

I got an ESPN Mobile Alert earlier today saying Francona joked that the Indians made the playoffs because of chicken and beer.

It's funny, but us it really worth a Mobile Alert?

#948 tonyv4

tonyv4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:30 AM

Looks like the rangers got lucky there in the 7th. Ball clearly bounced on the ground

#949 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

...and the umpires try to screw the Rays again. Between that called third strike against Zobrist earlier in the year and that call just now these umps in Texas are top notch. How do SIX UMPIRES miss a call that blatantly? It wasn't even close. It directly cost the Rays a run and possibly more.

Ah how fitting. The cheater makes the last out. Rays win despite the umpires. Another Rangers collapse.

#950 merchie89

merchie89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

hey cueto, you suck go die

(Actual register date 3/3/2009, not sure why I switched accounts)

#951 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

catch.gif

#952 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:36 AM

Yep we got a stud with the Angels draft pick (Wacha) and not paying Pujols meant we could resign Molina, Craig, and Wainwright while Beltran has provided pretty much what Pujols did in 2011.

Yeah, I'm so happy that Pujols signed with the Angles. A long time ago the Cardinals figured out that since they're a small to medium market team that the only way for them to win championships was for them to focus on developing talent in the farm system. Paying Pujols more than what he was worth past his usefulness as a top player made no sense, but it was an emotional decision based on his play in the past and I get that. 

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the Cardinals in the playoffs and maybe the Angles will do better next year. I really do not want to see what happens when he becomes an aging designated hitter and they're still paying him 20 million a year or whatever.

Posted Image

#953 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

Yeah, I'm so happy that Pujols signed with the Angles. A long time ago the Cardinals figured out that since they're a small to medium market team that the only way for them to win championships was for them to focus on developing talent in the farm system. Paying Pujols more than what he was worth past his usefulness as a top player made no sense, but it was an emotional decision based on his play in the past and I get that. 

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the Cardinals in the playoffs and maybe the Angles will do better next year. I really do not want to see what happens when he becomes an aging designated hitter and they're still paying him 20 million a year or whatever.

He's already an aging DH. If he drops off much further he'll have to be benched against right-handed pitchers.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#954 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

That's why I hope the Yanks let Cano walk if he won't be reasonable. A 31 year old player even on an 8 year deal makes me nervous as hell. As it is, the Yankees are actually ALMOST finally getting to a point where they can get out from under many of these big/bad contracts.

Rivera is gone. Pettitte is gone. Granderson is gone. Phil Hughes is gone. Jeter has one year left. Teixeira and Sabathia have 3 years left. A-Rod has 4 years left (or less depending on what happens with his suspension).

There are still some huge numbers there. But a lot of money is opening up, and the team could actually have some flexibility, as long as they don't bury themselves under Cano. It'll be interesting to see what they do...and if Brian Cashman is truly allowed to choose the players for once.

#955 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

The Braves left Dan Uggla off the roster for the NLDS. I approve. Elliot Johnson has been playing way better than him.

pitfall_harry219.png

#956 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

It would be pretty funny if the Braves and Rays played in the World Series. BJ and Elliot facing off against their former team. Bj was a pretty good signing  :lol:

#957 Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Getting ready to head out to Progressive Field.  This isn't my first Indians playoff game, but my first where it's a win or go home situation so it should be fun.  It's nice seeing the buzz around here when one of the teams actually make it to the playoffs, it happens so rarely that it feels important.  Though I guess it was only a few years ago when the Cavs were making the playoffs, but I think it's more of an Indians town here than a Cavs town.  Hopefully the game is a blowout, but a good game down to the wire would be fine too.

#958 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

Bring on Boston. I hope Detroit wins against the A's. I hate when the Rays have to travel to the West coast. They always struggle as seen by their huge slide this year in the second half when they went out West

MLB and Bud Selig's dream matchup: Boston vs LAD

MLB and Bud Selig's nightmare: Pittsburgh/Atlanta vs Tampa Bay/Oakland

The Tampa Bay Rays finished the season with an average rating of 4.93 per broadcast on Sun Sports, according to Fox Sports. A 4.93 rating translates to an average audience of 89,000 households for each Rays game.

I'm happy our numbers went up but they are still down from the 5.9 we posted in 2010.

The Yankees tv ratings dropped 31% this year. Yet a staggering 111,000 viewers disappeared from the Yankees’ telecasts for each game on the YES Network, leaving an average of 244,000 devoted souls to watch.

#959 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

I approve of the third inning for the Cards!

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#960 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

If I had to throw a prediction out there, I'd the say the World Series will most likely be Boston vs St. Louis. I'd like to see Pittsburgh, but I doubt that happens. I'd settle for the Dodgers or Red Sox. I'd like to see Mike Young or Mike Napoli get a ring. 

Posted Image