2013 MLB Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1161 replies to this topic

#1021 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

That was a crazy way to end the NLCS... I expected the Cardinals to win the series, but I wasn't expecting a 9-0 finish.  :whee:

It will be interesting to see who they face in the World Series. I would be totally fine if the Red Sox and Tigers take it to a game seven.

Posted Image

#1022 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

Congrats to the Cardinals! Here's to a good World Series.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#1023 AngryDragon888

AngryDragon888

9 Toes 3 Balls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Great game by the birds!!  Good to see some guys who have been struggling at the plate get some big hits too.  Hopefully it carries on into the World Series.

431048.png?51606429

#1024 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Well that sucked. 

Posted Image

#1025 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

Red Sox Win!  World Series here we come!

Fuck you, Bobby Valentine.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1026 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

Red Sox Win!  World Series here we come!

Fuck you, Bobby Valentine.

This is why people hate Boston sports fans. Instead of just being happy, you kick dirt on someone who didn't get a fair shake at the job. 

Posted Image

#1027 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

This is why people hate Boston sports fans. Instead of just being happy, you kick dirt on someone who didn't get a fair shake at the job. 

I don't like Bobby Valentine in general.  Never have, never will.  I didn't like it when the Red Sox hired him, and I was glad when they fired him.  He doesn't strike me as a good manager, and the fact that everyone was praising the decision last year when he was hired as some sort of automatic pass to the World Series makes me question the sports knowledge of anyone who thought it would be the case.  And as a side note, the Red Sox are the only Boston sports franchise that I am a fan of.  I hate the Bruins, have a general distaste of the Patriots, and I am apathetic about the Celtics because I am not really a fan of basketball.

I guess if I felt sorry for anyone it would be Blue Jays fans because we bought their manager.  :S  

CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1028 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

I can't believe the Giants gave Lincecum a 2y/$35m deal.

pitfall_harry219.png

#1029 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

He's not even worth half of that contract. His past two years have been terrible and his fastball velocity have steadily dropped every year.

Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1030 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

There's actually glimmers of hope with Lincecum. His contact rate last season was 74.4%. In 2009 it was 74.9%. 74.1% in 2008. His zone% has dipped a few points from his peak.

Put simply, he's as unhittable as ever. He's just falling behind in more counts, which leads to more pitches over the plate. Coupled with his reduced velocity, that means harder contact (when it's made). If the Giants pitching coach looks at this info, it's literally as simple as telling Lincecum 'just throw it over the plate for strike 1 and go from there'.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#1031 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

He had a 68 ERA+ and 76 ERA+ the last two years with a -1.7 bWAR and -0.6 bWAR in those years (though fangraphs has him at 2.5 WAR over that span). So there is a lot more there than just throwing a first pitch strike. That's pretty much the plan for almost every single starting pitcher. The fact is that he is getting paid 17.5 million dollars for the next two years after coming off two extremely  horrible seasons. Couple that with him entering his 30s soon and his fastball velocity on a steady decline, I can't see him breaking 5 WAR over the next two seasons. 

Though his FIP and xFIP numbers might suggest he is still a decent pitcher, but not a 17+ million dollar a year pitcher. 

Posted Image

#1032 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Sorry for the double post!

What do you guys predict for this world series?

I'm going to say Red Sox in 6 with Koji Uehara winning the MVP. 

Posted Image

#1033 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Cardinals in 6 or 7 with Adam Wainright or Michael Wacha winning MVP.

#1034 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

As a Red Sox fan, I'm not feeling very confident about this one.

CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1035 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

First inning and a ump has already blown a routine call, haha.

EDIT: It was reversed and rightly so.

Posted Image

#1036 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

First inning and a ump has already blown a routine call, haha.

EDIT: It was reversed and rightly so.

I've never seen a call like that reversed, but man how the hell did the ump miss that the first time?  He was 4 feet away.

33126.png

#1037 merchie89

merchie89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

All i gotta say is :censored:  the cards. They suck

(Actual register date 3/3/2009, not sure why I switched accounts)

#1038 FloodyFloats

FloodyFloats

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

What does everyone think about the substance in Lesters glove?

#1039 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Not really sure what it was, but aside from the Cards stinking up the place, I'd say it was cheating.

You don't have to go to the specific videos being posted either.  You can clearly see on the ESPN replays/highlights, that he goes to that part of the glove in at least one occasion to grab whatever he had. 

I'm not a Cards or Sox fan, but if it's not meant to be on your glove then don't put it there...cheating for me.

#1040 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

I wonder if the Kozma's play yesterday makes the Cardinals think about a Profar for Tavares swap in the offseason.

Posted Image

#1041 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

If he was oh well. The cards couldn't win last night if he was or wasnt using something. Not with the way they were playing last night. Hell I don't even think they could have won if they were cheating as well and this is coming from a cards fan.
Posted Image

#1042 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

He had a 68 ERA+ and 76 ERA+ the last two years with a -1.7 bWAR and -0.6 bWAR in those years (though fangraphs has him at 2.5 WAR over that span). So there is a lot more there than just throwing a first pitch strike. That's pretty much the plan for almost every single starting pitcher. The fact is that he is getting paid 17.5 million dollars for the next two years after coming off two extremely  horrible seasons. Couple that with him entering his 30s soon and his fastball velocity on a steady decline, I can't see him breaking 5 WAR over the next two seasons. 

Though his FIP and xFIP numbers might suggest he is still a decent pitcher, but not a 17+ million dollar a year pitcher. 

Hitters are swinging and swinging and missing at the exact same rate as they were in his peak, 2008 and 2009. So, while his velocity is down from those years, he still has some of the very best swing and miss stuff of all starters in baseball. What is different from those years is his first strike percentage (down slightly) and his zone percentage (down several points). This means he's getting more swings and misses in 2-1 or 3-1 counts instead of 1-2 or 2-2 counts, leading to more walks and fewer strikeouts. In Lincecum's case, it really is as simple as getting strike one/throwing more strikes in general.

Him actually throwing more strikes is another issue.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#1043 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

He was cheating. It's Major League Baseball. Everybody cheats and has cheated for more than a century.

In the future, think of any player taking the field as cheating in some way.

#1044 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

We do this 2 or 3 times a year whenever someone decides to bring up pitchers putting rosin or sunscreen or anything else on their hand to improve their grip.  Everyone who knows thing one about baseball knows that the majority of pitchers do this, and yet it's still treated like some gigantic controversy every time. 

33126.png

#1045 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

On an unrelated note...

5NBK1kr.gif

33126.png

#1046 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

When I saw that the other night I fell over laughing.  That was also the time the I had hoped that the Cards wouldn't win that game.  After seeing that they didn't deserve to win that night.

Posted Image

#1047 Zolor23

Zolor23

Hey there.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

What a finish. Pissed off that they play 9 innings of hard-fought ball to finish on that note.

However, I believe this may induce the Sox to play even harder the next few games.

GO SOX.

#1048 FloodyFloats

FloodyFloats

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

Man that's was a crazy bottom of the 9th. I do believe the call was right. That play and Workmans at bat made the game for me.

#1049 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

I dont know if the call was right (I dont think Middlebrooks raised his heels at least) but the Sox deserved to lose that game.  First by having Workman bat in the 9th over Napoli just to take him out quickly in the bottom of the inning, then by pitching to Jay and Salty making that throw.  Would have much rather taken my chances with Kozma at the plate, he couldnt hit air all night.  Tough game to watch as a Sox fan.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#1050 tonyv4

tonyv4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

I dont know if the call was right (I dont think Middlebrooks raised his heels at least) but the Sox deserved to lose that game.  First by having Workman bat in the 9th over Napoli just to take him out quickly in the bottom of the inning, then by pitching to Jay and Salty making that throw.  Would have much rather taken my chances with Kozma at the plate, he couldnt hit air all night.  Tough game to watch as a Sox fan.

I think it was the correct call. I've watched the replay a few times and what I saw was Middlebrooks look at where the ball was after he had dived and raised the bottom half of his legs. Whether or not it was intentional is up for debate but it was clearly interfering with the runner.