2013 MLB Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1161 replies to this topic

#241 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Well, the Marlins are going win SOME games, after all. Even the worst teams in the league get 60-some wins usually.

Yes, but I prefer those wins to come from the Mets.

#242 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Goddammit Cueto.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#243 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

This could probably only happen on Jackie Robinson Day with everyone wearing 42, but.. Koji Uehara just entered the game in the 8th inning for the Red Sox, and ESPN's Gamecast/box score says Junichi Tazawa is pitching. Nothing like some innocuous racism on Jackie Robinson day, huh?

33126.png

#244 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Dempster pitches a great game, and then Andrew Bailey comes in and blows it in two batters.

#245 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Dempster pitches a great game, and then Andrew Bailey comes in and blows it in two batters.

The Red Sox have a good bullpen, but they seem to be allergic to the 9th inning. Bailey has been lights out in the 8th. He gave up 2 singles though, so it's not like he's getting knocked around the park.

33126.png

#246 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

I don't care about how he's pitching. He cost Dempster a W for my fantasy team. ;)

#247 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I don't care about how he's pitching. He cost Dempster a W for my fantasy team. ;)

Ah, there it is. :D

He really didn't pitch horribly, Jennings got a single on a great curveball, and Zobrist had a bloop that fell in.

As much as I'd have liked the Sox to win there, I'm not going to complain about baseball eating up a bit more of my work day.

33126.png

#248 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Got this from Rays Index...oiy

Halfway through the month of April, the Rays have an OPS of .581. How bad is that? It is dead last in the AL, 67 points behind the next lowest team, the Twins (.648). It is 117 points worse than the Houston Astros, a team that is composed of Carlos Pena and a bunch of minor leaguers. It is worse than 13 NL teams, the league where nearly one out of nine at bats is by a pitcher. At .581, this would be the worst offensive month in (DEVIL) RAYS HISTORY. Like EVER. By a mile. As of now, the worst month in team history came in April, 2002, when that club posted a .633 OPS. That club lost 106 games…

Formerly known as slickkill77

#249 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

McCann was dropped in my fantasy league. HR SB AVG OBP OPS. I currently have Avila and I'm riding on Gattis' hot streak. Is McCann worth a waiver claim? He should be ready by May first.

#250 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

McCann was dropped in my fantasy league. HR SB AVG OBP OPS. I currently have Avila and I'm riding on Gattis' hot streak. Is McCann worth a waiver claim? He should be ready by May first.

Hard to say. Depends on how healthy he is and whether Gattis stays hot in terms of how much he plays and produces.

Edited by dmaul1114, 16 April 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#251 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

Got this from Rays Index...oiy

Halfway through the month of April, the Rays have an OPS of .581. How bad is that? It is dead last in the AL, 67 points behind the next lowest team, the Twins (.648). It is 117 points worse than the Houston Astros, a team that is composed of Carlos Pena and a bunch of minor leaguers. It is worse than 13 NL teams, the league where nearly one out of nine at bats is by a pitcher. At .581, this would be the worst offensive month in (DEVIL) RAYS HISTORY. Like EVER. By a mile. As of now, the worst month in team history came in April, 2002, when that club posted a .633 OPS. That club lost 106 games…

Pro sports in the US should have promotion/relegation the way the Premier League does.

That might not help the Rays, but by forcing teams to be competitive, it would deter pieces of shit like Jeff Loria from getting involved in owning sports teams.
Posted Image

#252 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

Pro sports in the US should have promotion/relegation the way the Premier League does.

That might not help the Rays, but by forcing teams to be competitive, it would deter pieces of shit like Jeff Loria from getting involved in owning sports teams.

Yes. Please. God.
Posted Image

#253 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Or just a salary cap that has a minimum and maximum that aren't absurdly apart so low ball owners are priced out of the game and wealthy owners can't stockpile too much talent.

#254 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well to be fair the Rays have been one of the best and most consistent teams since 08 so that really would make sense for them this year. It's just been a stroke of early bad luck. And it's not like the Rays don't spend money they just can't recklessly spend their money

#255 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

The Braves got three solo jacks in the 8th to bring a 2-2 tie to a 5-2 lead, and end up winning 6-3. Juan Francisco homered twice, Heyward got one, Uggla got one, and Justin Upton hit another one.

The only bad thing from the game was Luis Avilan crumpling on the mound while throwing a pitch, grabbing at his hamstring. I hope it's not as bad as it looked, because it looked really bad. Braves really can't afford another reliever going down.

#256 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

Went to my first O's game this year. Liked the new jumbotron visuals, about the only thing left that needed refreshing. Seriously, Camden Yards looks almost completely different to how it looked ten years ago.

Kinda disappointed in the small crowd, but maybe everyone figured the team was still on the road.

#257 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Dodgers shit the bed. Atlanta looks pretty snappy.

Or just a salary cap that has a minimum and maximum that aren't absurdly apart so low ball owners are priced out of the game and wealthy owners can't stockpile too much talent.

Just say no to communism.
Posted Image

#258 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Glad that the Orioles are back over .500. Still they've got some shaky pitching.

#259 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Two games in a row where Braves 3B coach Brian Snitker makes a bad call and leaves a runner to die at the plate. I'm not sure how you send Juan Francisco's large ass home on that play. Braves are getting no help from Doug Eddings' shitty strike zone either.

#260 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

At 10-4, the Red Sox are now 6 games above .500... which they didn't manage at any time last season. All that without David Ortiz. Obviously the starting pitching can't possible continue to be this good, but the bullpen certainly looks legit, and if so they could very well be right in the mix all season.

33126.png

#261 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Jeter out till after All Star break. In the meantime, Yankees need to acquire someone who can hit lefties.

Aaron Hill out for 4-6 weeks, really hurts my fantasy team. My infield is terrible - Seager, Espinosa, Nunez, Kendrik (Fielder and Paul Goldschmith being the only bright spots). Picked up Reynolds and shot a trade proposal of Goldschmith for Longoria.

#262 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

Great comeback by the Orioles. Wieters throws out ANOTHER runner (seriously, people, just stop trying) and then after a delay while Maddon tries to get Jones out for missing a bag, Matt launches the next pitch onto Eutaw for a walk-off grand slam. And he managed to dodge both Casilla and Jones hitting him with pies.

#263 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

Great comeback by the Orioles. Wieters throws out ANOTHER runner (seriously, people, just stop trying) and then after a delay while Maddon tries to get Jones out for missing a bag, Matt launches the next pitch onto Eutaw for a walk-off grand slam. And he managed to dodge both Casilla and Jones hitting him with pies.

That's three walk-off losses in one week for the Rays, all to division opponents.

33126.png

#264 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

Braves get back on the winning track beating the Pirates 6-4 on a pinch hit homer from Gattis in the 8th.

Also got homers from Justin Upton (9th on the year!), BJ Upton and Chris Johnson.

Nice seeing power in the Braves line up after the past few years of not having much (other than Uggla in the 30s his first couple years with the team).

#265 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

That's three walk-off losses in one week for the Rays, all to division opponents.

And they actually started hitting, too.

#266 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

Braves get back on the winning track beating the Pirates 6-4 on a pinch hit homer from Gattis in the 8th.

Also got homers from Justin Upton (9th on the year!), BJ Upton and Chris Johnson.

Nice seeing power in the Braves line up after the past few years of not having much (other than Uggla in the 30s his first couple years with the team).

I don't know who they'd replace him with, but I wouldn't mind if they shipped Uggla out of town.

I hope McCann and Freeman coming back doesn't mess with the roll they're on right now. Taking either Johnson or Francisco out of the lineup is a blow to the production they've been getting. I mentioned when the trade happened about people sleeping on Johnson and acting like he was a throwaway in the Upton deal. He's turned out like I had hoped and is putting up some good games offensively.

Even with a healthy McCann, I'm not sure I'd take the bat out of Gattis' hands right now. That may change, though, if he cools off before McCann comes back at the beginning of May. Freeman should be back on Monday.

#267 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

At this point, Jon Daniels has to be kicking himself for not getting Upton. I bet he wishes he had locked up Andrus earlier so that he could have done that deal.

Posted Image

#268 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

At this point, Jon Daniels has to be kicking himself for not getting Upton. I bet he wishes he had locked up Andrus earlier so that he could have done that deal.

Yeah, seriously. And it hurts even more because this line-up is just not producing. And with Berkman out of it because of Interleague Play, that became readily apparent. Murphy and Moreland really need to turn it around and quick. Both Centerfielders need to step it up as well.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#269 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

I don't know who they'd replace him with, but I wouldn't mind if they shipped Uggla out of town.

I hope McCann and Freeman coming back doesn't mess with the roll they're on right now. Taking either Johnson or Francisco out of the lineup is a blow to the production they've been getting. I mentioned when the trade happened about people sleeping on Johnson and acting like he was a throwaway in the Upton deal. He's turned out like I had hoped and is putting up some good games offensively.

Even with a healthy McCann, I'm not sure I'd take the bat out of Gattis' hands right now. That may change, though, if he cools off before McCann comes back at the beginning of May. Freeman should be back on Monday.

Yeah, I don't see much option for replacing Uggla unless the trade him for an infielder. Hopefully he just snaps out of this year plus funk and gets it going again.

Freeman was hitting pretty well, so him coming back should be fine. Gives them the option of platooning Johnson and Francisco based on who's hotter which could motivate them both.

#270 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

It may not have affected the outcome but Jones was clearly out. The reason Maddon was pissed is because this is becoming a worrying trend of missed calls consistently going against the Rays. The replays showed he did not touch the base on the way back after touching 2nd. That's an out. Combine that with the ridiculous called strike three call in Texas, the Longoria passing Zobrist call and this one and its just starting to get really old. Especially because all three of these calls have affected the end of the game. Again this call may not have made a difference but it would of been 2nd and 3rd, 1 out.