PlayStation 4 Thread

• Please log in to reply
7958 replies to this topic

#811 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

I think everyone sees "social" differently. I don't get what's so social about sitting on your couch by yourself and talking to your friends who are sitting in their couches in their homes and playing games. It's so... disconnected. To me, Mario Kart in one room with 4 (or more) friends and seeing their tears of agony in person is social. Or getting drunk at a bar. I get that that's not always possible but that's part of what makes the times you actually do get together all that much more fun.

And when I can't get together with them, I play the games I like... and I honestly don't care to see what my friends are doing in CoD or Madden and I doubt they care to see what I'm doing Ni No Kuni.

I care.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#812 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Nobody is going to force you to press that share button.

As someone said earlier, get that logic shit outta here!

#813 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

As someone said earlier, get that logic shit outta here!

It is not about logic. Simply saying you do not have to use it does not change the fact Sony thinks it is the "future" of gaming. The resources used to focus on adding more social features are not what I want. Others people may want this and that is fine but it scares me that the next generation is less about the games and more about being "connected". As other people have said they are trying to substitute actual shared experiences with this pseudo-social sharing. I understand people cannot always be in the same room together for a gaming experience and that is fine but this always connected always sharing idea is not a real substitute. If anything it degrades your relationship with people. I know this because if all of us were in a room together right now having this conversation it would be very different. I game to disconnect from reality not substitute reality with my gaming. Maybe I am making more out of this then it really is but lets remember the big push at this reveal was the social aspect of the PS4. It was front and center of the presentation. A dedicated button says a lot about the focus of the company. I would have loved a demo of BF4 running on the PS4 with 64 people playing MP. That would have made me stand up and say they understand what I want as a gamer. To me THAT is the type of social connection I want my games to focus on. Improve my experience within the game. I don't need them to help me stay connected with my friends. I will pick up a phone to do that.

#814 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

It is not about logic. Simply saying you do not have to use it does not change the fact Sony thinks it is the "future" of gaming. The resources used to focus on adding more social features are not what I want. Others people may want this and that is fine but it scares me that the next generation is less about the games and more about being "connected". As other people have said they are trying to substitute actual shared experiences with this pseudo-social sharing. I understand people cannot always be in the same room together for a gaming experience and that is fine but this always connected always sharing idea is not a real substitute. If anything it degrades your relationship with people. I know this because if all of us were in a room together right now having this conversation it would be very different. I game to disconnect from reality not substitute reality with my gaming. Maybe I am making more out of this then it really is but lets remember the big push at this reveal was the social aspect of the PS4. It was front and center of the presentation. A dedicated button says a lot about the focus of the company. I would have loved a demo of BF4 running on the PS4 with 64 people playing MP. That would have made me stand up and say they understand what I want as a gamer. To me THAT is the type of social connection I want my games to focus on. Improve my experience within the game. I don't need them to help me stay connected with my friends. I will pick up a phone to do that.

I agree with most of what you are saying. My bigger fear of future of the industry is really how they are going more digital. Wii has some problems transferring digital content as far as re buying goes. PSN games are apparently going to have a road block as well transferring to the PS4 as well.

#815 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Everyone should give this a watch. Hilarious and grounded in reality. I fucking lost it when he started talking about Destiny. :lol:

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#816 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

This video pretty much summarize what I did not like about the meeting. Just so people don't think I am bashing Sony because I am not. I know eventually I will be buying a PS4 but not until there are enough games to justify it because the other stuff just does not matter to me.

[url][url]

#817 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

I agree with you. My niece was trying to chat with me over XBL the day I started playing Skyrim. Talk about a non-immersive experience? Couldn't get into the game until she went offline. I can't imagine being constantly inundated by social media bullshit.

This is why I don't own a mic, and when I do play ME3 multiplayer I always leave lobbies with people who do have mics on. It's annoying to listen to someone else breath, cough, chat with their spouses, etc, while playing.

Also not a fan of all the social crap the game companies think EVERY person that buys a console wants. I don't want to link a game to facebook, or post screenshots to twitter. To me that's just nonsense. I don't even know anyone in real life that games, let alone cares what I just did in Skyrim.
Praxus_07.png

#818 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Everyone should give this a watch. Hilarious and grounded in reality. I fucking lost it when he started talking about Destiny. :lol:

This guy is awesome. I watched his video last week about the PS4 leading up to the announcement and loved it. He's just so real and funny imo. Hope to see more of him at least through the console launches.

#819 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'd never use the share feature, but don't care that its there.

I'm not much into social stuff with gaming writer as gaming is a few rungs down my hobby list and only a couple of my friends play games at all. And one of them is PC only the past couple years and I don't do PC gaming.

I mostly just set my status to appear offline on the Xbox unless I'm wanting to play online. PS3 I don't worry as I have no real life friends. Just a few CAGs on the friends list that I've never gamed with since I don't so any mp on the ps3.

#820 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

This guy is awesome. I watched his video last week about the PS4 leading up to the announcement and loved it. He's just so real and funny imo. Hope to see more of him at least through the console launches.

I think they're probably going to get him serialized because there's tons of material for him to work with and he's legitimately funny. I really think GT struck gold with that first video and I hope they don't change a thing, as his set is too perfect; like a Milton (Office Space) of GT lol.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#821 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'd never use the share feature, but don't care that its there.

I'm not much into social stuff with gaming writer as gaming is a few rungs down my hobby list and only a couple of my friends play games at all. And one of them is PC only the past couple years and I don't do PC gaming.

I mostly just set my status to appear offline on the Xbox unless I'm wanting to play online. PS3 I don't worry as I have no real life friends. Just a few CAGs on the friends list that I've never gamed with since I don't so any mp on the ps3.

I would set my self as offline a lot more but sites like Raptr and 360voice.com cannot log your play times and achievement tracking if you do that. It is the only real reason I keep myself visible online unless I am planning on doing MP stuff.
Posted Image

#822 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Great video

#823 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I would set my self as offline a lot more but sites like Raptr and 360voice.com cannot log your play times and achievement tracking if you do that. It is the only real reason I keep myself visible online unless I am planning on doing MP stuff.

Yeah, I don't use any of that stuff. I don't even care about trophies/achievements, much less play time etc.

#824 htz

htz

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yeah same here. I watched his 1st video before the PS4 announcement. I was curious why I never saw him before on GT, didn't know that it was his 1st. I can say I'm a fan of his videos now. :)

#825 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Anyone have any info/thoughts on continuation of the trophy system. I really hope we just can maintain the same PSN account and just add on trophies to our existing total. Same goes for the next Xbox and achievements.

#826 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Anyone have any info/thoughts on continuation of the trophy system. I really hope we just can maintain the same PSN account and just add on trophies to our existing total. Same goes for the next Xbox and achievements.

I had always assumed that would be the case seeing how the vita worked with trophies.

#827 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

I had always assumed that would be the case seeing how the vita worked with trophies.

That would make sense then.

#828 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

just put my name on a list at gamestop today. They are allowing people with power up cards to be put on a list and once preorders can start you will have the first chance to pre order one.

#829 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

only thing im worried about getting one at launch is that most of the games that will be launch titles will not be new games most likely same games we have played for years on ps3. I would love if we get new ip's for launch

#830 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

just put my name on a list at gamestop today. They are allowing people with power up cards to be put on a list and once preorders can start you will have the first chance to pre order one.

Thats not how that list works at all.

Unless thats just what your store is doing.

#831 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

So, it appears the 6x blu-ray drive is correct, which is disappointing. However, even at 6x, that's still 27MBps. Compared to the top read speed of DVD being 18 MBps, that's roughly 50% increase in read speed. Granted, it will still take 38 seconds to read/fill 1GB (1024 MB) of data.

That said, hopefully devs will utilize streaming tech to it's fullest and load only the necessary files required to start the game and then stream/fill-in the rest afterwards. We'll see. I'm also looking forward to my blu-rays loading faster for movie purposes :)

Edited by SynGamer, 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#832 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hopefully the option to install games will be a standard feature this time around.

#833 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hopefully the option to install games will be a standard feature this time around.

No, that's the complete opposite of what we should want. The whole point of a console is to put the disc in and play. No installing, nothing. If you want that, get a PC...

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#834 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

No, that's the complete opposite of what we should want. The whole point of a console is to put the disc in and play. No installing, nothing. If you want that, get a PC...

Plugging the game in and playing made more sense when games came on cartridges. IMO I'd rather sit through an initial 10 minute install than face prolonged loading screens while playing the game. You're basically getting a PC with the PS4's x86 CPU and standard HDD anyway. If the PS4 is anything like the PS3 then you'll also see keyboard, mouse, & printer support as well.

#835 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

The install option would be fine IMO, but my guess, based on what Sony has said, is that if there is a required install, the game will fire up and then install in the background while playing, similar to how Fallout 3 GOTY worked (except hopefully without the shit ton of bugs).

That would be a happy middle ground IMO - no waiting for the initial patch/install, however you would get the benefits of the install hopefully (i.e. reduced loading times).

#836 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Just make installing an option but not a requirement like it is on 360. Then you can do it if you want and ignore it if not, can play as soon as you get a new game and install later.

#837 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Another snark-filled summary video. Pretty funny.

0rJDn0jRnUQ

To be honest, I haven't seen a reason yet to be excited about the PS4. It is nice to see that a console has finally made it into the 21st century with stuff like screen and video captures. I don't give a rats ass about social media with my console.
Posted Image

#838 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

The install option would be fine IMO, but my guess, based on what Sony has said, is that if there is a required install, the game will fire up and then install in the background while playing, similar to how Fallout 3 GOTY worked (except hopefully without the shit ton of bugs).

That would be a happy middle ground IMO - no waiting for the initial patch/install, however you would get the benefits of the install hopefully (i.e. reduced loading times).

Installing never really bothered me since (at least for games I play) most games don't have a required install.

Some do which isn't a good thing, but waiting 10 minutes one time for it to install really isn't a big deal to me. I feel like people overexaggerate the installing issue and act like every game has an install and you have to do it every time you want to play.

Installing things you download is more of an issue though since that takes forever, but again it's only one time you have to do it.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#839 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thats not how that list works at all.

Unless thats just what your store is doing.

my store told me that it's a list that once ps4 get open for preorders they will contact the people first on that list and allow them to get into store to get one. Its not a gurentee you will have it reserved but you will be the first to know it's ready to be pre order

#840 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- suplexrepeat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

So you don't like the "social" direction modern gaming is taking but you keep an updated Raptr profile?

DERPDERPDERP

uc.png