CAGcast #312: It Just Comes Automatically

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

I don't even remember asking that question. I actually asked a more relevant question VERY RECENTLY, but that wasn't answered EITHER...

http://cdnroot.cheap...=71382&page=306

Do you mean web/gaming journalism? I think that topic has been pretty much beaten to death on the Cagcast. The whole 'Xbox Pure' thing pretty much nailed it.

#32 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Show Notes

00:45 Sony 2013 Announcement Announcement
09:30 Show Feedback
13:30 Watch This: Dark Knight Returns part II
14:45 Read This (?): Billion Dollar Batman
17:30 Watch This: Paul Williams is still alive
18:45 New Releases
18:45 Skulls of the Shogun
21:00 Balloon Fight
21:30 Hitman HD Trilogy
22:45 Proteus
24:00 GTA V - which consoles
28:30 Devil May Cry
33:30 Medal of Honor is done
38:00 Steambox vs Apple
39:30 Ni No Kuni
43:15 Spyhunter (Vita)
46:15 Killzone for the Vita
48:30 Nintendo reduces target numbers
49:00 Temple Run 2
50:15 Cagbag
50:15 Raid: The Redemption / Dredd
51:15 Loyalty between console generations
57:30 Why no big summer releases? $$$

#33 shadowofthetoaster

shadowofthetoaster

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

Hi Cheapy,

I saw Dredd, a movie that you recommended last podcast and it was great. It's too bad it didn't do that well in America. I'd love a sequel. Great show, as always.
Ah, my friend. You've brought the Big Macs, and the fries.
The donuts, my friend. Did you bring the donuts?
Donuts. Give me the donuts.
Where are the donuts? You FOOL!

#34 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

Well, I was disappointed that CheapyD nor Wombat or Shipwreck didn't mentioned in episode 311 that Pandora's Tower was announced for the Wii considering that the episode had a bit of Nintendo talk due to the Nintendo Direct episode. With that considered, do you still keep your old consoles and wait until the publishers stop releasing games from the previous console before some if not all move on to the next generation of consoles. Also, did you three had a chance to play Xenoblade Chronicles (GameStop exclusive) and/or The Last Story that came to the US that in a way that a group called Operation Rainfall had heavily supported in getting Nintendo to release these games?

Shipwreck mentioned that he liked Xenoblade before, but I'm not sure how far he got into it.

#35 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

Shipwreck mentioned that he liked Xenoblade before, but I'm not sure how far he got into it.

Played about 30 or 40 hours of it.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#36 Lexian

Lexian

The Master of Orion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

The banter between the 3 is what makes the show for me, which is why when they are doing a duo show it feels off. It even feels off when one of them steps away from the mic to do something while the other two keep discussing....or making fun of the guy who is away.
Posted Image

#37 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Regarding last week's Wii U discussion:

You guys know Nintendo releases games when they are ready. They don't release major franchises according to the calendar.

Yeah they announced things early but not like everyone didnt know a Smash Bros, Super Mario 3d and Zelda isn't coming. Besides if they don't say something then the internets will assume the worst. Never mind that they will be asked the is it coming out question 10 million times over.

WW HD ... that game is coming this year because it is a relatively quick project to ramp up. Most of the work was already done. Why was SMB ready for launch? Was probably originally a Wii title and given the 2d nature of it was an easy ramp up. NintendoLand a launch title because it a sort of a collection of tech demos fleshed out as mini-games. Pikmin 3 was also most likely originally a Wii title. They had said a new Pikmin was coming to the Wii. It didnt show. And look Pikmin3 was in the Wii U launch window. And expect that Yoshi game to come out this year. Another easier ramp up given the 2d nature and the Yarn engine is mature. ;)

Notice the 3ds had a couple redos early on to help fill the schedule. These are projects they can satisfactorily complete in a shorter amount of time.

Oh and why pick on Nintendo for announcing games early. Everyone does it. Pick a game that isn't an annual sequel and chances are you heard about it years in advAnce. Why pick on them for software console problems saying users are beta testing it? You can say that about any console on the market now. Are early adopters ever not beta testing?

The Wii U launched with a Mario franchise whose last version that sold 20+ million copies on the Wii. Is there really a better Mario game to launch with?

Too much doom and gloom. Let it breathe.

Edited by trip1eX, 04 February 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#38 io

io

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I've tried to stay away from any discussion of Ni No Kuni so as not to have the story spoiled for me. I also wanted to discover secrets and such on my own. I haven't glanced at the CAG thread at all. But after listening to this CAGcast and hearing about the 6.5 from Polygon and then seeing a few other low scores on Metacritic I decided to read a few reviews (now that I'm near the end of the game).

And wow - I didn't realize that "grinding" was an issue in Ni No Kuni. In fact my impressions have been that it is remarkably free of grinding in comparison to most JRPGs. If anything, the game is a little too easy. Yet here I just read a few of the more negative reviews (The Escapist and Polygon) and both complain about the grinding and the slow pace of receiving menu options. I'd actually argue that the pacing is really good. Now, if you just wanted to power through the story as quickly as possible then you might have some problems. But if you take on the majority of the sidequests you will be fine for the bosses. And parting out menu options across the first half of the game is a a great way to entice the gamer with all that potential (what will that "?" reveal next!).

The review on The Escapist says you might make it through a boss only to be wiped out by some random encounter. Well, sure, once you can fly around you can land yourself in some tough areas mid-game. But that's what I always love about JRPG's done right - the freedom to explore and get yourself into a real mess. But none of those areas are necessary for the story - it is just extra stuff. Both Dragon Quest VIII (my favorite PS2 game) and Xenoblade Chronicles have this same feature. The main story and boss battles are definitely on the easy side in this game though. I'm by no means a "pro" gamer so I wonder about these reviewers who had so much trouble with the game.

Plus the game does not have random encounters - all enemies are visible and can for the most part be avoided if you want. I see the term "random encounters" thrown around pretty loosely. To me random encounters are when you see no monsters on the map and as you walk around battles start up at random. I think DQ VIII was this way and it got pretty annoying though I loved the game in spite of that. Lost Odyssey was like that too. Ni No Kuni is definitely not like that.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear Shipwreck is enjoying the game. While I wouldn't quite put it over Xenoblade Chronicles, it is definitely one of my favorite RPGs this gen, Japanese or not.

The great thing about this game is that my kids (from my 3 year old to my 5 year old to my 10 year old) all beg me to play this game so I've been able to put in a ton of hours on it. I can play it in the evening when they'd normally be watching Netflix or otherwise hogging the TV. I've made a lot more progress than I normally would on a game that I'd have to play by myself late at night after everyone is asleep.

So, yeah, Cheapy, even though it requires a bit of a time commitment, it is something that I'm sure both your wife and Tai would like to watch. So maybe consider it at some point...

#39 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

@CagCrew

Hey guys have you been following/heard of something that microsoft has been working on for the xbox called illumiRoom? IGN published an article on the techLINK and it certainly appears promising. Have you guys had any "hands on" time with this new tech during a trade show or whatnit? My take on the illumiRoom is the tech looks very cool and it brings us one step closer towards playing games in an environment like Star Trek's Holideck. I think it is safe to assume that everyone who visits CAG would be thrilled to have some version of a holideck projected inside of our living rooms. What do you think?

Edited by BetaDemo, 04 February 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

#40 Dani8l

Dani8l

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Who thought it was Bane invading the Super Bowl aha ;)

#41 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

Did Cheaply mention the movie The Raid on this show?

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#42 Blue Arcana

Blue Arcana

Streets Ahead (If you have to ask you're streets behind)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I would be all for E3 being held at United Skates if they had the dinosaur mascot come out and do the chicken dance in the background during the low points in the presentations.

blueArcana.png

#43 sinsio

sinsio

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

What's the name of the batman ebook that Wombat mentions? I've tried searching for Billionaire Batman and other variations but no luck.

#44 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

What's the name of the batman ebook that Wombat mentions? I've tried searching for Billionaire Batman and other variations but no luck.

SEE this is why we need a list of things you guys mention! IM NOT CRAZY I SWEAR.

but anyways, it's called Billion Dollar Batman

Ebook edition: http://www.amazon.co...n dollar batman

Book Paper Thing Edition: http://www.amazon.co...n dollar batman
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#45 sinsio

sinsio

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thanks AshesofWake

SEE this is why we need a list of things you guys mention! IM NOT CRAZY I SWEAR.

but anyways, it's called Billion Dollar Batman

Ebook edition: http://www.amazon.co...n dollar batman

Book Paper Thing Edition: http://www.amazon.co...n dollar batman

#46 sinsio

sinsio

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

I ended up buying the kindle edition for 2.99

#47 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

me too!
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#48 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

Sigh.

#49 sinsio

sinsio

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

?

Sigh.

#50 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Show Notes

Thank you Bickle for the hard work you do each week with the show notes.

#51 sinsio

sinsio

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Ah I see. As a frequent listener and seldom forum user it never occurred to me to look at reply #32.
This is very well made. I think that more should be done to incorporate your hard work into the thread structure.
Perhaps we could badger Cheapy into editing in your show notes once finished.

Show Notes

#52 TheDrypa

TheDrypa

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Never have I heard someone describe GTA IV in such a ridiculous and wrong way as Wombat did. Disliking a game is one thing, but to literally spout absolute nonsense about a game is something on a whole new level. The story mode can be completed in about 20 hours or less if all you do is the missions. You can fast travel everywhere with the use of the taxi's. The dates were also completely optional, bare one time you have to go a bar with a girlfriend for a mission. Also, very funny comment on the map, as Far Cry 3 uses the exact same way of telling you were to go, yet Wombat seems to have no problems with Far Cry 3 as he completed it. I can also remember Wombat saying in a previous CagCast that he doesn't like GTA because of all the mindless killing of innocent people. You do know that YOU are in control, right Wombat? You don't have to kill anyone if you don't want to.

Just say you don't like the game Wombat, without spouting absolute nonsense. The CagCast wouldn't be same without you Wombat, and I really like you, but please don't make up things just so you can discredit a game you don't like.

#53 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I sense more grumbling about the Live tax. The fee adds up. And even more so for a family that doesn't want to share a Gamertag. And MS isn't winning any friends by putting Netflix or HBO Go or ESPN behind the Gold paywall. Publishers also don't exactly like that Live is in between them and their customers either.

This definitely gives Sony something to exploit next gen if they don't screw things up.

#54 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Great show as always, guys!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#55 kingfelix

kingfelix

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

wii u graphics card was revealed as a radeon 4850 so yh ps4 will run 7800 series card with 4gb ddr5 so wii u prtty much a fish in a barrel which jst had a grenade thrown in it i was wondering wat ur thoughts wld be on the wii u being so outclassed do u think wii u 2 will be thrown out to compensate like ipad throwing out retina pads so fast after new releases to compensate for low specs high price

#56 io

io

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

wii u graphics card was revealed as a radeon 4850 so yh ps4 will run 7800 series card with 4gb ddr5 so wii u prtty much a fish in a barrel which jst had a grenade thrown in it i was wondering wat ur thoughts wld be on the wii u being so outclassed do u think wii u 2 will be thrown out to compensate like ipad throwing out retina pads so fast after new releases to compensate for low specs high price

Punctuation please!

And no, I don't think they will. Nintendo can not win by competing on specs and they know that. I don't know why so many on CAG expect them to or are surprised when they don't.

If they fracture their market by coming out with an upgraded Wii U any time soon that would be very bad for them. This isn't like an iPad where it can be souped up and the old ones continue to run newer apps (at least for a while). If they make a new one and make games for it, those games will not work on the older system and that would be suicide for Nintendo. They may very well come out with the first next-next gen system just as they did this time - so maybe a year before the PS5, etc... If they do come out with a Wii U 2 in a year or 2 then that is a true sign of desperation. Despite how the general CAG demographic may feel about Nintendo, they aren't quite there yet if you take a step back and don't look at it via a 20-something hardcore gamer's eyes.

#57 actripxl

actripxl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Dredd> The Raid

The cops in "The Raid" have to be some of the biggest idiots ever to wear a uniform, hell most of the makes choices as if this was from the "Police Academy" movies. Yes the action is fun to watch but Dredd is MUCH better.

51446.png

Can't wait for the next Uncharted and Halo on my next-gen systems!

#58 GameDemonKing

GameDemonKing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

Thanks io and Shipwreck for talking a bit on my gripe post.

#59 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:31 AM

haha. i love Wombat's tangent about hitler's brain on a spider boss etc. fantastic.

Velo214.png
sig.gif