Turtle Beach EarForce Tango Wireless 5.1 SS Headset X360 / PS3 - $199 @ Best Buy

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
Turtle Beach Tango Headset for X360 / PS3 discounted at Best Buy...might be clearance as the new headsets are coming this Spring.

Retailed for $299, have been on sale for $250, now they're just $199. I picked up a pair when my X41's died on me this week and I love them:

large_image_1.jpg

Here's the product page....
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/call-of-duty-headsets/ear-force-tango/27

Speakers: 50mm diameter speakers with neodymium magnets
Bluetooth: Bluetooth radio with dual-pairing mode and A2DP compatibility
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz, >120dB SPL @ 1kHz
Condenser Microphone Frequency Response: 50Hz - 15kHz
Digital Signal Processor: Dual-Stage Digital Signal Processor for independently controlled chat, game and mic signals
USB port: USB port for programming the DSP via a Windows XP/Vista/7 computer
Audio mute: Audio mutes automatically when carrier signal is lost
Battery: Operates on rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery
Shut down: Automatic shut down after approx 5 minutes of carrier loss or silence to conserve battery power
Headphone Amplifier: Stereo 35mW/ch, THD

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried the bluetooth feature yet? I have wireless turtle beaches already, but I would really like to have that feature as someone always calls when I'm playing.

[quote name='goodnight144']Have you tried the bluetooth feature yet? I have wireless turtle beaches already, but I would really like to have that feature as someone always calls when I'm playing.[/QUOTE]

I have these and I love the Bluetooth feature! With a touch of a button you can easily answer your cell or listen to music or podcasts! I love it, also these have a rechargeable battery and if it dies while playing, just plug in the included cable and charge while you play! Great headset!

Can anyone comment on if headsets like these would be compatible with next gen consoles? Obviously hard to say with no confirmed console specs yet, but possible in terms of audio connections?

I would be sick if I spent $200 on a headset that doesn't work on the next gen Xbox this fall...

^^Wondering the exact same thing..I don't plan on buying next-gen on release anyway but it would suck to waste money on something that'll be useless in less than a year.

Thats a good question. If you bought them for sound only, then yes if there is optical out ports on next gen. Guessing so.

But the chat functionality would be unknown... Yes they have BT but would probably need software support from TB for MS next gen. Just a thought assuming Sony stuck with BT and MS dropped RF in favor of BT.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI Gamestop has the non-CoD skinned PX 5's for $160 through tomorrow. Same headset I believe.[/QUOTE]

Na these are 5ghz and come with 360 adapter. PX5 are 2.4ghz and no Xbox adapter.

[quote name='Dund3r']Can anyone comment on if headsets like these would be compatible with next gen consoles? Obviously hard to say with no confirmed console specs yet, but possible in terms of audio connections?

I would be sick if I spent $200 on a headset that doesn't work on the next gen Xbox this fall...[/QUOTE]

On this pair it connects via optical cable into the back of the system so as long as the console has that port it should be fine. If they don't TB will make adapters just like they do for older 360's w/o HDMI and/or optical ports.

[quote name='OregonDealz']Na these are 5ghz and come with 360 adapter. PX5 are 2.4ghz and no Xbox adapter.[/QUOTE]

PX 5 comes with the talkback adapter for an XBox controller.

I'm in the market for new high end headphones after my Sharkoons exploded from a 2 foot drop. Going to see if any of my local BBs have them instock. Thanks OP.

[quote name='MSUHitman']PX 5 comes with the talkback adapter for an XBox controller.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't. The bluetooth Xbox adapter is only included on the XP300, XP400, and XP500 and some of the COD Branded stuff, but not on the PX5 or PX3. PX5 and PX3 does include Bluetooth functionality built in, but not Xbox adapter.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']No, it doesn't. The bluetooth Xbox adapter is only included on the XP300, XP400, and XP500 and some of the COD Branded stuff, but not on the PX5 or PX3. PX5 and PX3 does include Bluetooth functionality built in, but not Xbox adapter.[/QUOTE]

Its a wire i think vs dongle.

PX5
inBox_PX5.jpg

Tango
COD_TANGO-whatsinthebox.jpg

[quote name='WNYX585AM']No, it doesn't. The bluetooth Xbox adapter is only included on the XP300, XP400, and XP500 and some of the COD Branded stuff, but not on the PX5 or PX3. PX5 and PX3 does include Bluetooth functionality built in, but not Xbox adapter.[/QUOTE]

I think he's referring to the talkbalk feature. It's for chat function over XBL. I have a PX5.

[quote name='OregonDealz']Its a wire i think vs dongle.

PX5
inBox_PX5.jpg

Tango
COD_TANGO-whatsinthebox.jpg
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Donut2922']I think he's referring to the talkbalk feature. It's for chat function over XBL. I have a PX5.[/QUOTE]

Sorry yeah not the Blutooth adapater, I was talking about the chat cable to plug into the headset/controller as Oregon showed in the pics.

Apparently the adapter is $30 seperately on turtlebeach.com and you have to use AA batteries on the PX5 so yeah the CoD set is the better deal, especially if you have to have the adapter. I got my PX 5's on a sale right after Christmas for $130 new and the CoD set wasn't on sale and I've been loving them so much over my old x31's.

Great headset, picked it up as BB DOTD for $199 last month. Use it on both the ps3 and xbox. have the optical cable connected directly to my tv, can use headset for anything being played, they sound awesome.

[quote name='Methoes']How would you guys compare this to the tritton warhead? Can't make up my mind on which one to get. Need help.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to look as well at the high-end headsets. I read some of the internet reviews, and one said the audio quality of the Turtle Beach XP400 (I don't know if this particular model is similar) isn't as good as the Tritton Warhead or Astro A50. I avoided the Warhead since it only has xbox 360 chat. When I read the reviews about the Astro A50 on amazon, it looked like a lot of people were having major problems with it, so I decided against it. Now waiting for the new models to appear this year.

Think I'm going to try XP400's. They are $170 and Reward Zone/Unlocked coupon takes off another $50.

Edit: That was sale price for last week, just changed back to $220.

[quote name='killer65malibu']do yourselves a favor save up and go ASTROS[/QUOTE]

Heard too many problems with their customer service and mixamp problems. No thanks. At least turtle beach is quick about replacing broken or faulty equipment.

My XP-something-or-other (wired 360 headset) is comfy. That makes me want these. But $200 is still a lot and I don't really want the COD branding. Still, I'd like a wireless headset that works with both 360 and PS3. Question - can it be connected to both consoles and switch between them? Or do you have to pull/plug cables?

[quote name='Dund3r']Can anyone comment on if headsets like these would be compatible with next gen consoles? Obviously hard to say with no confirmed console specs yet, but possible in terms of audio connections?

I would be sick if I spent $200 on a headset that doesn't work on the next gen Xbox this fall...[/QUOTE]

Well if u connect them straight to you tv instead of the console they should work.

Would these work with a PS3 and 360 hooked up to the same TV without a lot of hassle (i.e. unplugging things)? I don't care about chat for the 360. I play mostly on the PS3 and stream HBO Go through the Xbox and play a few games but I just don't want to have to mess around with moving my consoles around and unplugging wires to get it to work with one system and then the other.

I can't type right now... does that make sense?

@GBAStar I use these on both ps3 and Xbox simultaneously. Don't have to mess with settings or cables ever. My setup is the optical through my tv set to the turtle beach transmitter. If your tv set does not have an optical audio port my old setup was 2 seperate optical cables connecting both consoles to a optical splitter then a cable connecting to turtle beach receiver. Hope this helps

[quote name='Grkpexti']@GBAStar I use these on both ps3 and Xbox simultaneously. Don't have to mess with settings or cables ever. My setup is the optical through my tv set to the turtle beach transmitter. If your tv set does not have an optical audio port my old setup was 2 seperate optical cables connecting both consoles to a optical splitter then a cable connecting to turtle beach receiver. Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

FYI most TVs will only output 2 channel stereo via optical out. So you wont get Dolby multichannel with that config. I suppose there are some TVs that output multi channel, however i dont know which.

You do know the tango's are the 510's right ? theres absolutely no difference past the COD marketing. Unless you prefer a different look for the $100 difference...they cutout once in a blue via Bluetooth and if your loud they distort your voice a bit. But otherwise I love them. As for future proofing, I'm sure they'll release another bluetooth adapter if the next console doesn't feature it, otherwise your good to go. I really doubt this will be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='OregonDealz']FYI most TVs will only output 2 channel stereo via optical out. So you wont get Dolby multichannel with that config. I suppose there are some TVs that output multi channel, however i dont know which.[/QUOTE]

You bring up a good point, depending on his setup i.e receiver or type of tv he has this would or wouldn't be possible. I upgraded to an 80" sharp aquos and have the option to switch optical out to stereo or multichannel in the digital settings section

But the poster also mentioned another option of using two separate optical cables connected to a splitter going to the transmitter, so it still sounds feasible on any tv.

[quote name='Johnnybeachboy']Headphones that are over $100 are never ever worth it. Too much risk regarding new releases.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about new console releases? If so, you have a decent point for this point in the life cycle of the consoles. The chat capabilities are unknown for the new ones coming out (although I would imagine adapters would become available). Otherwise, I don't understand your point. You said "never ever" but had you purchased a good set a couple of years ago, you would have plenty of time to enjoy them before potential obsolesence.

[quote name='crunchewy']Those MLG headsets all seem to be wired.[/QUOTE]

Yes, tournament ones are wired to avoid too much interference from multiple other players. I don't really see why you would get those for home use.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']Are you talking about new console releases? If so, you have a decent point for this point in the life cycle of the consoles. The chat capabilities are unknown for the new ones coming out (although I would imagine adapters would become available). Otherwise, I don't understand your point. You said "never ever" but had you purchased a good set a couple of years ago, you would have plenty of time to enjoy them before potential obsolesence.[/QUOTE]

I meant that newer models will eventually become outdated and that they will eventually drop to below $100. I can understand their value is dependent on their use by the buyer but if you can find them a little later for under $100 it could be a better option.

[quote name='Johnnybeachboy']I meant that newer models will eventually become outdated and that they will eventually drop to below $100. I can understand their value is dependent on their use by the buyer but if you can find them a little later for under $100 it could be a better option.[/QUOTE]

That may be true, but you could also say that of any consumer product. It actually seems rare for these types of headphones to drop below $100 unless you are getting them used or refurb. I suppose you may see some potentially great clearance sales in March or April when new models come out, but my experience in watching these is that any new wireless surround headset is generally in the $100 to $300 range-even on sale.

Bought these just because I was tired of trying to find a good deal on these or the astros. Didn't realize new ones come out soon, I'll have to just keep these sealed as I wait to see if others drop.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Bought these just because I was tired of trying to find a good deal on these or the astros. Didn't realize new ones come out soon, I'll have to just keep these sealed as I wait to see if others drop.[/QUOTE]

Why? If you purchased them with best buy you can take them out and try them all you want as long as you return them within 30 days (60 for silver). That is the best part about BB, I was able to try out a pair of A50s upon release for over a month while astro tried to hash out the fixes for the connection issues. They couldnt improve them and i didn't feel it was an worthwhile upgrade over my wired system (mixamp + HD598s) so i returned them.

bread's done
Back