Photo
- - - - -

Turtle Beach EarForce Tango Wireless 5.1 SS Headset X360 / PS3 - $199 @ Best Buy

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

xp400 refurbished for $99. I just ordered a pair.
http://1saleaday.com/flash/xp400m/

Nice find. Very tempting.

#32 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

XP500's are on sale at Amazon for $169.99

http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=xp500

#33 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

I have a set of Astro A40's for sale :)

#34 Grkpexti

Grkpexti

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

@GBAStar I use these on both ps3 and Xbox simultaneously. Don't have to mess with settings or cables ever. My setup is the optical through my tv set to the turtle beach transmitter. If your tv set does not have an optical audio port my old setup was 2 seperate optical cables connecting both consoles to a optical splitter then a cable connecting to turtle beach receiver. Hope this helps

#35 oregon

oregon

CAG Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

@GBAStar I use these on both ps3 and Xbox simultaneously. Don't have to mess with settings or cables ever. My setup is the optical through my tv set to the turtle beach transmitter. If your tv set does not have an optical audio port my old setup was 2 seperate optical cables connecting both consoles to a optical splitter then a cable connecting to turtle beach receiver. Hope this helps

FYI most TVs will only output 2 channel stereo via optical out. So you wont get Dolby multichannel with that config. I suppose there are some TVs that output multi channel, however i dont know which.

#36 Pliskin

Pliskin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

I just hope that the majority of these headsets will be compatible with the upcoming consoles. I would hate to have to buy a new set.

#37 Untamed Sorrow

Untamed Sorrow

The Maple Kind ??

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

You do know the tango's are the 510's right ? theres absolutely no difference past the COD marketing. Unless you prefer a different look for the $100 difference...they cutout once in a blue via Bluetooth and if your loud they distort your voice a bit. But otherwise I love them. As for future proofing, I'm sure they'll release another bluetooth adapter if the next console doesn't feature it, otherwise your good to go. I really doubt this will be an issue.

Edited by Untamed Sorrow, 04 February 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#38 Grkpexti

Grkpexti

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

FYI most TVs will only output 2 channel stereo via optical out. So you wont get Dolby multichannel with that config. I suppose there are some TVs that output multi channel, however i dont know which.

You bring up a good point, depending on his setup i.e receiver or type of tv he has this would or wouldn't be possible. I upgraded to an 80" sharp aquos and have the option to switch optical out to stereo or multichannel in the digital settings section

#39 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

But the poster also mentioned another option of using two separate optical cables connected to a splitter going to the transmitter, so it still sounds feasible on any tv.

#40 Yellow Leader

Yellow Leader

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Just a heads up that Turtlebeach is putting out there new MLG headsets. So you could see prices drop more soon. Here a link to some of the new stuff they are putting out. http://www.turtlebeach.com/mlg

#41 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Those MLG headsets all seem to be wired.
Posted Image

#42 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Headphones that are over $100 are never ever worth it. Too much risk regarding new releases.

#43 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

What risk are you talking about?
Posted Image

#44 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Headphones that are over $100 are never ever worth it. Too much risk regarding new releases.

Are you talking about new console releases? If so, you have a decent point for this point in the life cycle of the consoles. The chat capabilities are unknown for the new ones coming out (although I would imagine adapters would become available). Otherwise, I don't understand your point. You said "never ever" but had you purchased a good set a couple of years ago, you would have plenty of time to enjoy them before potential obsolesence.

#45 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Those MLG headsets all seem to be wired.

Yes, tournament ones are wired to avoid too much interference from multiple other players. I don't really see why you would get those for home use.

#46 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Are you talking about new console releases? If so, you have a decent point for this point in the life cycle of the consoles. The chat capabilities are unknown for the new ones coming out (although I would imagine adapters would become available). Otherwise, I don't understand your point. You said "never ever" but had you purchased a good set a couple of years ago, you would have plenty of time to enjoy them before potential obsolesence.

I meant that newer models will eventually become outdated and that they will eventually drop to below $100. I can understand their value is dependent on their use by the buyer but if you can find them a little later for under $100 it could be a better option.

#47 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I meant that newer models will eventually become outdated and that they will eventually drop to below $100. I can understand their value is dependent on their use by the buyer but if you can find them a little later for under $100 it could be a better option.

That may be true, but you could also say that of any consumer product. It actually seems rare for these types of headphones to drop below $100 unless you are getting them used or refurb. I suppose you may see some potentially great clearance sales in March or April when new models come out, but my experience in watching these is that any new wireless surround headset is generally in the $100 to $300 range-even on sale.

#48 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Bought these just because I was tired of trying to find a good deal on these or the astros. Didn't realize new ones come out soon, I'll have to just keep these sealed as I wait to see if others drop.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#49 lwhitit

lwhitit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Bought these just because I was tired of trying to find a good deal on these or the astros. Didn't realize new ones come out soon, I'll have to just keep these sealed as I wait to see if others drop.

Why? If you purchased them with best buy you can take them out and try them all you want as long as you return them within 30 days (60 for silver). That is the best part about BB, I was able to try out a pair of A50s upon release for over a month while astro tried to hash out the fixes for the connection issues. They couldnt improve them and i didn't feel it was an worthwhile upgrade over my wired system (mixamp + HD598s) so i returned them.

Backlog? What backlog?

Currently Playing:

Spoiler

#50 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

That I didn't know! Busting them out tomorrow when they get here then :)
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#51 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

thanks for the heads up. just price matched these. got $50 bucks back! (I had bought them when on sale for $250). Best buy customer service was awesome today!

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#52 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

How do you like them thus far Durban?

#53 Tropicat

Tropicat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I got the Tangos when they were $199 at Best Buy and returned them. I had multiple problems with them. The bluetooth chat didn't work right. It kept cutting out, turning off, un-pairing. Tried replacing it with a chat puck (not chat wire) at first it didn't work at all then you can't adjust the sound that way so chat is either blaring or silent. The headset was too big and sat on the top of the top of my ear when it should go around, wouldn't adjust shorter. I would need to alter them with foam or something to have them sit higher. I am female with an average size head, they should fit. The earcups were vinyl (not leather or fabric), hot and uncomfortable. It blocked out all sound around you, more immersive they say, which some people would like but not me. I could get the fabric ones to replace but with all the other problems it wasn't worth it. I wanted them to hear enemy footsteps but that was a problem with the game not my current headset. It didn't work any better for that. The ASE only works on a monitor with screen resolution set at 1360 or higher. I was using a temp monitor at the time and that setting was horrible. The sound was OK, it didn't blow me away. With some adjusting it was a little easier to tell where sounds were coming from than my current surround sound headset. There was not the hissing and popping that I got with the X41's so the dual band was a plus.

I was also concerned with it working for the new consoles probably out later this year. Turtle Beach couldn't say if it would work or not. They were not made to work with computers although you can rig it to work them. I think if they worked with computers they would have a better chance to work with the new consoles.

I was glad to go back to my X11's with the DSS. I am interested in the new XP Seven's. Wired always works better. But maybe I should wait until the new consoles come out.

I have some friends who love the Tango's but 2 are having bluetooth problems and one is having a problem with the fit.

Edited by Tropicat, 04 February 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#54 junkie88

junkie88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

I bought these as well used them for a few weeks then returned them. I only used the chat a couple of times but when I did almost everyone said they couldn't hear me very well. I tried hooking them to the computer and making adjustments but the factory stuff seemed to work the best, which is to say not that good.

The real reason I returned them was because I just didn't think they sounded that good. They were ok, but nothing better then the ones that are half to a third of their price. I have the DSS as well and that hooked up with a decent pair of headphones just sounds better to me.

For me, I don't need the chat or the wireless feature enough to sacrifice the overall sound quality. The surround sound never really cut it for me either, I never got the feeling that anything was in surround.

#55 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Yeah, I'm leery of these all-in-one models doing everything well because of all the functionality provided, plus they're a big investment since they cost as much as consoles. I'll just wait for the new models to see if they improve the audio and/or work out all the bugs.

#56 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

How do you like them thus far Durban?

its hard to say they are worth $200-$300. but i got them with my xmas bonus and i love them. the settings are awesome and the chat works great for me. no background noise and wireless chat is a huge plus from previous headsets of mine. my only complaint is the fact that they stay "ON" when they are charging and even once they are fully charged... until you unplug them. seems like a wack design. either way. hope this helps.

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji