Photo
- - - - -

I have temporarily lost my will to play video games.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 greyzieoriental

greyzieoriental

is your Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I haven't played too many games in the last year, but yet I still buy them. When I do play, I have so many games to choose from. I start them up and then I play a little bit, tell myself I'm going to beat it, then after a day or 2 never touch them again.

#32 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

Yeah you're right, it was really somewhat of a buy now and think about it later purchase even though I do plan to keep it. I just feel like had it been when the time when GBC, GBA or even the original DS, I wouldn't have thought twice about it since back then I had more of an interest in games and wouldn't have even considered not getting it.

I am playing games now because its winter and boring and stuff but I spend my whole summer going to yard sales and thus, I spend most of my time cleaning and preparing games to sell! So while i am still involved with games, i am not playing them much, only to test them. This leaves me little time to actually play. If you go to theme parks every weekend you are very lucky as I love parks but I go once a year if that, if I had friends into it I would go more but basically no one in my area cares about theme parks except kids who beg their parents to take them. Of course that is probably false but I just don't know anyone who loves amusement rides.

#33 Mospeada_21

Mospeada_21

Zombie Hunter \\*//

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Now Playing in HD, Progressive Scan, Widescreen, 5.1 DPLII & Dolby Digital, and online or LAN whenever possible.

#34 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I haven't played too many games in the last year, but yet I still buy them. When I do play, I have so many games to choose from. I start them up and then I play a little bit, tell myself I'm going to beat it, then after a day or 2 never touch them again.

Yeah, that was something I did good on up through last winter--not buying games I didn't intend to play right away.

I hate having a backlog as it makes gaming start to feel like a chore as I feel pressured to clear out games and get them sold/traded before they're completely worthless since I'm not a collector type.

But when my x-box live account got hacked and I was locked out of it for a few months I ended up getting a PS3 and got a bunch of cheap games for it since I'd never had one--add in the PS+ freebies and I'm back to having a decent (for me) backlog of 15 or so games that I've made little progress clearing out since I mostly played Skyrim through last summer/fall, and Borderlands 2 from October to now.

With the decline of Goozex I care less about rushing through stuff now. Most of the older PS3 games I have on disc aren't worth bothering selling/trading anyway so I'll just beat them whenever and donate them to Goodwill if I can't get at least $10 for them on the Amazon marketplace.

If I had it to do over again I'd have just road out the Xbox hacking debacle (see my blog posts on here for details) without gaming or just said the hell with it and made a new live account though as I don't game anywhere near enough to own three consoles (also have a Wii that seldom gets touched).

If I keep gaming next gen, I'll definitely just pick up one console after the first price drop and go back to only buying games when I need a new one to play as that definitely worked better for keeping me in gaming and not getting burned out on it.

#35 Timtaron

Timtaron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Shenmue III is the only thing that can save me at this point.

I just pop in to play NBA JAM from time to time.
*Free Xbox LIVE Codes* http://www.free-xbox-live-codes.org

#36 leveskikesko

leveskikesko

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Is this really a problem?

It's often the people who strongly identify as a gamer or with the "gaming culture" that is fervently promoted by gaming websites and blogs who are the most distressed by their temporary loss of interest in gaming, as if a part of their core identity has been stripped away. If this is you, pick up another hobby or fun time-waster. And if that doesn't work, consider a therapist.

TLDR: You are more than a gamer.
Posted Image
http://www.prizerebe...dex.php?r=10421
This site is the ultimate deal! You do quick, 100% FREE, easy surveys and offers that get you points towards games and other game related products like consoles or digital points. No credit cards are required making it completely scam-free! (PM me for tips or more info) (I get points only if you do., so trust me, it works)
Still not convinced? Check my Prize Rebel Thread

#37 Dormin

Dormin

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Personally I try to mix it up. I watch a movie a day and read an hour a night then focus the rest of my free time on games
0843db393346757b68b32a43df88d267_4d9be17

#38 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Seems to happen to me every several years or so, I just take it easy on gaming for a bit and usually a title will come along that gets me back into it before too long.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#39 Shax

Shax

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

How do you know it's temporary? Maybe its forever. Seriously though you need another hobby, read a book.

Posted Image

#40 AirMcLaren

AirMcLaren

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

But the thing I've discovered is that most of the time the reason why I don't play video games is because I can never make up my mind on which game to play. I stand at my shelf full of games for like 10 minutes literally deciding what to play and then I get tired and just go watch tv instead because I couldn't make up my mind.

I seriously do this all the time. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of games I haven't started playing yet. And even if I do pick one, I don't enjoy it because I try to beat it quickly just to get to another one. The rush to buy them was fun, but I think I've learned my lesson and will only buy games I REALLY want to play going forward.
Posted Image

#41 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

Sometimes It feels like a chore to play some games. Everyone needs a break once in a while.
Posted Image

#42 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

How do you know it's temporary? Maybe it's gone for good.

#43 Kazuya

Kazuya

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'd be worried if you *didn't* go through a few of these periods. I'm older than most and have gone through a few of these periods. I'm fairly locked in now, but I remember a few lulls... some lasted as much as a year where I didn't touch a controller and explored other interests.

That's why I'm always amused when I hear about people who won't buy digital copies of games, even with a great sale, because of some weird fear they won't be able to play them in 10 years or something. Especially if they are in teens/early twenties, I'm like dude, I guarantee you that the odds are overwhelming that you will be completely retired from gaming within FIVE years, much less ten. Most people have no conception of how busy their lives will get, how much they will change as people, etc. It becomes very difficult to keep things going into later life. I do realize that gamers are getting older as the early adopters age, but it's still overwhelmingly a young person's hobby because of that group's unique circumstances.

#44 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

This happened to me at some point and it never really went away. There are very very few games that I even actually play let alone complete anymore. That said, I still do enjoy the idea of it at the very least.

Have you tried only playing games you're very excited for? I've found that I don't really have/make the time for gaming and so will only actually play through games I'm extremely hyped for. And sometimes not even those.

Over the past couple of years I've only honestly gotten a lot of enjoyment from:
Journey
Saints Row The Third
Far Cry 3 (was not hyped for this at all until reviews/word of mouth)
Virtues Last Reward/999
The Walking Dead
Dishonored (what I played of it)
...and that's about it

I've found there are only a few different things I actually like in games. pure fun (Far Cry 3 and Saints Row along with Journey in a different sense), Story (VLR/999, and The Walking Dead), and then I don't know how to describe the other thing I like. I guess it's single player action/adventure/story mix type games like Dishonored, Bioshock, Batman, Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc.

So this year I finally stopped buying games I dont actually care about.

So far this year I think I've bought Ni No Kuni and Red Dead Redemption (never really played it much first time I had it) and that's it. For the rest of the year I'll only be buying the biggest games that have me excited. So possibly God Of War and South Park, and definitely The Last Of Us, GTA V, Beyond: Two Souls, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock.

TL;DR: Dont buy shitty games, only get the ones you really really want.

#45 blume3

blume3

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Don't worry I've been in the same lull. I just completed Uncharted 3 after what seems like forever. I have told myself I'm only going to play games I actually want to play and stop trying to force myself through my backlog. I had/have a few games I don't have any interest in completing and it was making me not want to play because I felt like I needed to play those. So I just decided to sell them and move on, started Far Cry 3 back up and playing through the DLC on Borderlands 2 and just started Dead Space 3. I have a ton of stuff on PSN I want to play as well. I am going to get through the rest of my back log and probably start my Gamefly back up and start trophy whoring again.

2ibzq5d.jpg