Four in February

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

So I've been inspired by a CAG on here JustYourAverageJoe (who was inspired by a Neogaf user) to try to create a fun way to get rid of our PC backlogs (thanks a lot Tony).

The rules as described by JustYourAverageJoe are pretty simple. You pair up with another person and they pick 4 games (and you pick 4 of theirs) from your backlog that you must try your best to complete in the month of February, the games can be brand new to you or you could have already started them. It seemed like there was a bit of interest in this so I figured we could use this thread to find another person to team up with to try to complete the challenge. I'm making this a wiki so everyone can add to it and hopefully add the two people working together and the 4 games each of them will beat. Enjoy!

Note: If you cannot, or do not wish to, pair up with someone else, you don't have to. Please feel free to participate by yourself!

Rules:
Eligible Games:

- The game must have defined end point or goal, either through a traditional campaign or through a set amount of content to be played. Infinite games, or games without a defined end point, such as Audiosurf, should not be picked.

- A game is considered complete once the endpoint of the game is reached. You do not have to complete all content in the game for it to be considered complete. However, if you wish to 100% once it's been picked, please free to!

- The game can already have been started before it's picked for this. You're not restricted to solely unplayed games. However, it defeats the purpose to pick a game that's almost finished, and where's the fun in that?

- The game does not have to be on Steam.

- You can work with your partner to pick a reasonable list of games. If your partner chooses all 200+ hour games, you should probably get another partner.

This is entirely honor-based and for fun. You are encouraged to share your achievements, screenshots, etc. to show your progress, but this is by no means required.

Pairings:

MrshllJcb: Batman Arkham Asylum, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Machinarium, Zeno Clash
Junpei: Sleeping Dogs, BioShock 2, The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom, Deadlight

Cheaplikeafox: A.R.E.S., F.E.A.R, Gemini Rue, Supreme Commander
Dys006: Plants vs. Zombies, Left 4 Dead 2, Rochard, Syberia
(alternative: Your Doodles Are Bugged!)

slofton: Portal 2, Bastion, Shank, Arkham Asylum
(alternative/bonus: VVVVVV)
Dr Sasquatch: Jolly Rover, BioShock, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Quantum Conundrum

SeymourGams: Torchlight, Jet Set Radio, Trine, Sonic Adventure DX
DeliveryPizza: Waking Mars, Bioshock, Torchlight, AvP

Jugglenaut: Bioshock 2, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, Deadlight, Dustforce
Sinfulfate: The Binding of Isaac, Psychonauts, Gravity Rush, Cave Story+

Motoki: Portal, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Blackwell Legacy, Puzzler World
(alternative/bonus: Murder, She Wrote)
Gilby: Waking Mars, Underrail, The Oil Blue, Knights of Honor
(alternative/bonus: Analogue: A Hate Story)

Edited by MrshllJcb, 24 February 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#2 Junpei

Junpei

Think big. Start small. Move fast.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Nice idea, I'd like to partecipate!
What are the rules about eligible games?
Should they be games in which you haven't still registrered a single minute of play time?
Must they be Steamworks only?
How can some storyless games (i.e. Droplitz) be considered complete, or are we limited to choose story driven games only?
Can we maybe spice things up by requesting at least one game with achievements in which your partner has to complete a single, specific objective?

#3 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

haha now you've put even more thought than I had. They can be games you have started, but it seems silly to have games you're about to beat on the list. I made my list of my whole PC backlog and included all of the Origin and Uplay games that I could remember off the top of my head as well. I think the achievement thing will be something that you and your partner should agree upon

#4 Junpei

Junpei

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Maybe we could refer to some site like http://howlongtobeat.com/, even though it is not 100% accurate, and state that eligible games' main story should not exceed 10-15 hours...

#5 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Maybe we could refer to some site like http://howlongtobeat.com/, even though it is not 100% accurate, and state that eligible games' main story should not exceed 10-15 hours...

You wanna pair up?

#6 Junpei

Junpei

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

You betcha, feel free to add me on Steam :)
ID: junpeitodoroki
I guess you can look at my backlog by simply skimming through my profile's library, I'm ready for (almost) anything ;)

#7 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

You betcha, feel free to add me on Steam :)
ID: junpeitodoroki
I guess you can look at my backlog by simply skimming through my profile's library, I'm ready for (almost) anything ;)

okay sounds good, I'll add you. Also if you want to create a selection out of your backlog for me to choose from you can so you can exclude anything you arent ready to play yet, otherwise I'll get to searching. I created a list of 50 or so games that I'll pm you.

Also looking at your backlog we could actually play the same 4 games if we wanted lol

Edited by MrshllJcb, 03 February 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#8 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'd like to do this! Lord knows that I buy games and never play them. Ill start making a list. Anyone wanna be my partner for science class? :D

#9 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'd like to do this! Lord knows that I buy games and never play them. Ill start making a list. Anyone wanna be my partner for science class? :D

I know AverageJoe had mentioned asking Motoki to join this but if he cant get Motoki to join you might be able to ask him to join up with you

#10 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I'm kind of expanding on your idea. Let the person who is playing the games decide how much time they are willing to play during the month. Say for example, Skryim vs The Darkness 2. Skryim takes on average 31 hours for the basic story plus some. The Darkness 2 takes 5 hours to complete. I think that this could work much better.
BTW I'm going to participate. http://steamcommunit...aShufflinZombie

#11 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

I'm kind of expanding on your idea. Let the person who is playing the games decide how much time they are willing to play during the month. Say for example, Skryim vs The Darkness 2. Skryim takes on average 31 hours for the basic story plus some. The Darkness 2 takes 5 hours to complete. I think that this could work much better.
BTW I'm going to participate. http://steamcommunit...aShufflinZombie

Yeah, when picking the games I tried to be considerate of how long each title was and if I put a longer game I also tried to put a shorter one (Deadlight can be beat in like 2 hours). I think we are all knowledgeable gamers and fairly reasonable so it shouldn't be too difficult to pick appropriate games for something like this.

and not that its relevant or important but I enjoyed my time with The Darkness 2 much more than my time with Skyrim (on consoles)

#12 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, when picking the games I tried to be considerate of how long each title was and if I put a longer game I also tried to put a shorter one (Deadlight can be beat in like 2 hours). I think we are all knowledgeable gamers and fairly reasonable so it shouldn't be too difficult to pick appropriate games for something like this.

and not that its relevant or important but I enjoyed my time with The Darkness 2 much more than my time with Skyrim (on consoles)

I enjoyed The Darkness 2 more but I have Skyrim to show off what my computer can do. ;)

#13 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm down to joining and pairing up with someone. Prefer shorter games...lol

#14 dys006

dys006

Doesn't play games.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm down to joining and pairing up with someone. Prefer shorter games...lol

I got you.

A.R.E.S.
F.E.A.R.
Gemini Rue
Supreme Commander

I don't think these are too long.

EDIT: howlongtobeat.com A.R.E.S., F.E.A.R., Gemini Rue, Supreme Commander, says you'll be done in about 36 hours. :lol:
New signups, now only spend $2, get $2 free at greenmangaming.com.

#15 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I got you.

A.R.E.S.
F.E.A.R.
Gemini Rue
Supreme Commander

EDIT: howlongtobeat.com A.R.E.S., F.E.A.R., Gemini Rue, Supreme Commander, says you'll be done in about 36 hours. :lol:

Thanks! Sounds good to me. I'm heading out to pick up some last minute snacks for the game, but when I get back I'll look through your Steam list and choose 4 for you.

#16 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Meh. Pick anything from the list! Only games ive beat are ME1/2, Portal 1.....

Typing that, that's all the games ive beat on my list has made me suddenly sad lol

http://steamcommunit...d/steeviedanger

#17 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Meh. Pick anything from the list! Only games ive beat are ME1/2, Portal 1.....

Typing that, that's all the games ive beat on my list has made me suddenly sad lol

http://steamcommunit...d/steeviedanger

Portal 2
Bastion
Shank
Arkham Asylum

bonus/alternate: VVVVVV

http://steamcommunit...id/SasquatchMD/

Beaten:
Spoiler

#18 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Excellent choices! Thank you

Jolly Rover
BioShock
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Quantum Conundrum

2 games I think are some of the best made (Bioshock and Condemned) and 2 that always seemed interesting.

If you complete them all, i'll give you a game of your choice around $15! Good luck!

Portal 2
Bastion
Shank
Arkham Asylum

bonus/alternate: VVVVVV

http://steamcommunit...id/SasquatchMD/

Beaten:

Spoiler

#19 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Excellent choices! Thank you

Jolly Rover
BioShock
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Quantum Conundrum

2 games I think are some of the best made (Bioshock and Condemned) and 2 that always seemed interesting.

If you complete them all, i'll give you a game of your choice around $15! Good luck!

Awesome, great choices! Can't wait to get started! (After the game -- Go Niners!)

#20 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

I got you.

A.R.E.S.
F.E.A.R.
Gemini Rue
Supreme Commander

Alright so yours will be:

Plants vs. Zombies (unless maybe you already beat this on phone or tablet?)
Left 4 Dead 2
Rochard
Syberia

Alternate for PvZ: Your Doodles Are Bugged!

#21 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'm in if someone wants to take a go at it. http://steamcommunit...63453463/games/

I can't play Saint's Row the 3rd because of my current laptop's GPU, it slows the gameplay to a grinding halt, but Bioshock and some other more modern games run fine.

I also rarely play games in my library without achievements, so now might be the time.

Edited by SeymourGams, 04 February 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Posted Image

#22 DeliveryPizza

DeliveryPizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

I'm in if someone wants to take a go at it. http://steamcommunit...63453463/games/

I can't play Saint's Row the 3rd because of my current laptop's graphics card, it slows the gameplay to a grinding halt, but Bioshock and some other more modern games run fine.

I also rarely play games in my library without achievements, so now might be the time.

Hey wanna pair up? Here is my steam games (my Steam ID is Unfrgvable):
http://steamcommunit...65940913/games/

Also, on Uplay I have Far Cry 3.

On Origin (my Origin ID is Unfrgvable) I have Bulletstorm, Burnout Paradise, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Darkspore, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, Medal of Honor, Shift 2 Unleashed, Spore, The Saboteur.

Here is the list of four that you should beat:

Alan Wake (if your laptop GPU can handle it)
Jet Set Radio
Torchlight
Batman Arkham Asylum

#23 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

I'd love to pair up with someone for this challenge. Here's my backlog and my community profile.

#24 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Hey wanna pair up? Here is my steam games (my Steam ID is Unfrgvable):
http://steamcommunit...65940913/games/

Also, on Uplay I have Far Cry 3.

On Origin (my Origin ID is Unfrgvable) I have Bulletstorm, Burnout Paradise, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Darkspore, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, Medal of Honor, Shift 2 Unleashed, Spore, The Saboteur.

Here is the list of four that you should beat:

Alan Wake (if your laptop GPU can handle it)
Jet Set Radio
Torchlight
Batman Arkham Asylum

I'll take Torchlight and Jet Set but I should have mentioned I beat Asylum on PS3 way too recently to replay and Alan Wake gave me slow down similar to SR3. Literally everything else should be kosher, sorry.

My choices for you:

Waking Mars (I really enjoyed this game, I need to finish it)
Torchlight (You started it)
Portal
Bioshock (fan-fucking-tastic game)
Posted Image

#25 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Started playing Portal 2 as suggested. Great game so far

#26 DeliveryPizza

DeliveryPizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'll take Torchlight and Jet Set but I should have mentioned I beat Asylum on PS3 way too recently to replay and Alan Wake gave me slow down similar to SR3. Literally everything else should be kosher, sorry.

My choices for you:

Waking Mars (I really enjoyed this game, I need to finish it)
Torchlight (You started it)
Portal
Bioshock (fan-fucking-tastic game)

Okay, then for you my revised list is as follows:
Torchlight
Jet Set Radio
Batman Arkham City (if that's okay with you, not sure if you're burnt out on the gameplay after playing Batman Arkham Asylum so recently)
Darksiders

Also, I've actually already beat Portal. Different account. But I'm stoked for Waking Mars, Bioshock, and Torchlight. So you'll have to suggest another game for me.

#27 Junpei

Junpei

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

So, have DeliveryPizza and SeymourGams officially paired up? I could update the main thread accordingly, as I have done for me :)
Now I'm eager to sink my teeth into Bioshock 2 while I frantically search for my old wired Xbox joypad, buried somewhere under our recent relocation boxes, to play my other 3 games without keyboard controls... :bouncy:
Posted Image

Check your PMs. I left that one out of the group that went under my pits.

#28 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Started playing Portal 2 as suggested. Great game so far

Glad you're liking it. It was one of my favorites in recent memory.

If you finish and want a few more levels, the ones I made are here:
http://steamcommunit...yworkshopfiles/

I started Quantum Conundrum tonight, and I think I will really enjoy it. I dig the music, and I am getting a Portal vibe from it.

#29 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

This is awesome. Got my games from Junpei and will start today after work and my interview. I need to stop spending money and buying games so hopefully this can help me avoid that.

#30 Echoes

Echoes

Farm roads ftw

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'd love to try doing this, since of all the games I own on Steam, I've only beaten a couple of them haha.

Of course, February is the shortest month >.>

steam_sig.png

Forms_and_Shapes.png