Four in February

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#151 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

I like the idea of everyone playing the same game at the same time, then we could do sort of like a book club and all come back and talk about it. It's always interesting to hear different comments and takes on a game.

I think the new and buzzworthy games will by default have a lot of people playing and discussing them anyway. I'm definitely not suggesting that people don't play their new games, especially since they almost certainly bought them at not so bargain basement pricing, but it might be nice to also have a sort of more obscure game that we all otherwise probably wouldn't have played that we could do a simultaneous play through and discussion.

Probably something from a bundle that most people probably have but just haven't gotten around to would be good. And I guess it would have to be something less nichey and with more general appeal.

#152 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

I like the idea of everyone playing the same game at the same time, then we could do sort of like a book club and all come back and talk about it. It's always interesting to hear different comments and takes on a game.

I think the new and buzzworthy games will by default have a lot of people playing and discussing them anyway. I'm definitely not suggesting that people don't play their new games, especially since they almost certainly bought them at not so bargain basement pricing, but it might be nice to also have a sort of more obscure game that we all otherwise probably wouldn't have played that we could do a simultaneous play through and discussion.

Probably something from a bundle that most people probably have but just haven't gotten around to would be good. And I guess it would have to be something less nichey and with more general appeal.

I 100% support this. A book club for video games is basically why I started a blog, I'm the only one who ever wants to talk about the games I'm playing when I'm playing them.

Maybe there should just be an objective calender. Like Obscure October, Dismembered December, etc. only with less "I just thought of the worst title ever off the top of my head." Then each month could have an objective of sorts, like October would be an obscure indie title, December would be some ultra-violent murder game, etc.

Then again, we could just all post our backlogs, start a poll, vote, and play that one. But why do it the simple way?

I'm still planning on seeing just how many of these indie games I can finish in the month of March, but first, I have to finish the new DMC this week.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#153 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I 100% support this. A book club for video games is basically why I started a blog, I'm the only one who ever wants to talk about the games I'm playing when I'm playing them.

Maybe there should just be an objective calender. Like Obscure October, Dismembered December, etc. only with less "I just thought of the worst title ever off the top of my head." Then each month could have an objective of sorts, like October would be an obscure indie title, December would be some ultra-violent murder game, etc.

Then again, we could just all post our backlogs, start a poll, vote, and play that one. But why do it the simple way?

I'm still planning on seeing just how many of these indie games I can finish in the month of March, but first, I have to finish the new DMC this week.

I 2nd this. We should have a poll deciding which game from of list of recent sales. For example, I would enjoy if one of the games was Mafia 2. I love that game and it was pretty cheap $5 or so, a couple of days ago.

#154 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I really like the idea of the "book club" too where we can discuss a game we are all playing. Really often I'm playing a game and want to be able to discuss it with the people around me but my girlfriend has no interest, and none of my friends really play pc. I agree with the point that playing the popular more mainstream games will result in people already playing them or having previously played them, and I liked the idea of playing games that were in indie bundles or smaller titles because there'll be more of a chance we havent all played the game. PLus without some sort of motivation or push I dont think I'll ever play a lot of those odder games from bundles

#155 Junpei

Junpei

Think big. Start small. Move fast.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Totally up for this, and again for Mowing March... let's start a Farming Simulator 2013 group buy! :lol:

I like also the idea of choosing at least one game with achievements/trophies and select a nasty objective as a bonus of some sort, like a "Balls of Steel Award" of the month even though, since we can discuss, it should not be something completely annoying or tedious like "shoot 1.000.000 zombies" but rather must involve some skill and/or knowledge of the game in question.

And I support the idea of a collective "in progress" game blog! :applause:

Okay I am going to have to make a Detour because Raptr is giving away Dead Island if you have a high rank in another zombie game so I'm going to get started on Walking Dead.

Whoa, that flew entirely over my head! :hot:
Games list is rather small and limited to PC, though... any good offers for The Walking Dead around?
Posted Image

Check your PMs. I left that one out of the group that went under my pits.

#156 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

A video game book club sounds awesome, I would definitely want to be a part of that.

fs_overall.png

#157 Junpei

Junpei

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Oh, and should we need a banner for our gaming diary... ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Check your PMs. I left that one out of the group that went under my pits.

#158 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Whoa, that flew entirely over my head! :hot:
Games list is rather small and limited to PC, though... any good offers for The Walking Dead around?

I looked around but I didn't see anyone having Walking Dead on sale right now. :cry: I do think it's the most interesting of the bunch of the zombie games you can play for that raptr reward since it's actually got a decent story to it and not just running around mindlessly shooting zombies.

Oh, and should we need a banner for our gaming diary... ;)

Posted Image

Haha! After I said we probably shouldn't pick nichey games for everyone to play for the game of the month club I actually thought of Magical Diary and how interesting it would be to see everyone's reactions to it. ;)

#159 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

So... what would the criteria for acceptable games be?

I was thinking a $20.00 maximum pricetag, since some people might not have a huge backlog like some of us, and $20.00 seems reasonable without turning it into the Indie Bundle Club.

I still think we should just have a round of suggestions and then a poll to decide the game for that month. That way Motoki and Junpei can suggest games like Doom Rails and Magical Diary, and the rest of us can vote for something else.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#160 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

So... what would the criteria for acceptable games be?

I was thinking a $20.00 maximum pricetag, since some people might not have a huge backlog like some of us, and $20.00 seems reasonable without turning it into the Indie Bundle Club.

I don't spend $20 on a game. That would be extravagant for me. $10 is even pushing it.

Choosing a game that has an active sale would be a decent way to let people that don't have it in a backlog get involved without spending more than whatever self-imposed limit they have.

#161 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'd like to put To The Moon up for the vote, seeing how I just got it and all :D

#162 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I don't spend $20 on a game. That would be extravagant for me. $10 is even pushing it.

Choosing a game that has an active sale would be a decent way to let people that don't have it in a backlog get involved without spending more than whatever self-imposed limit they have.

Yeah, but how do you go about choosing a game that a majority are interested in, is on sale, and isn't niche. It would have to be a sale this month, club next month kind of thing.

For example, compile a list of video games that would make good games of the month, then hold that list, when a game on the list goes on sale, that game is announced for the following month.

So if Singularity were on the list, it's on sale at Amazon for $7.50, everyone could get it this month, and it would be played in March, or whenever the next available month is. Note: I'm not saying Singularity is the game. Please don't run out and buy it.

Edit: And it goes without saying, involvement should be optional and situational based on the game. I'll definitely stay out of any FTL discussions, because playing games like that are bad for my blood pressure. Same with JRPGs, because all I'd ever do is bitch about how much I hate them.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#163 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

I love the idea of a video game book club too. It'd be interesting to have a single player and a multiplayer version, where we actually set up meetup times to get together and play with groups some of the older titles that don't have a dedicated community anymore.

Take Blacklight Tango Down for instance, it's incredibly cheap but the online community is totally dead. It's fun to play, has great gun customization, and would make for nice community playdates.

#164 Junpei

Junpei

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I still think we should just have a round of suggestions and then a poll to decide the game for that month. That way Motoki and Junpei can suggest games like Doom Rails and Magical Diary, and the rest of us can vote for something else.

Hey, I'm suddenly labeled as a Magical Diary devotee and I didn't even install it yet! But I do have bought it and I have a thing for obscure indie games, so I'm all right with that! :lol:

I'm more prone to choose games based on their duration rather than their price, though, so I was thinking the following for March:
- A 20-25ish+ hours game, which could be the "community" one and thus what participants can write about in our hypotetical (magical) diary ;)
- A 15ish hours game, which could set the theme of the month and also be the one with a specific achievement/trophy/objective to reach as a bonus.
- A minimum of two shorter games, whose duration should not exceed 10-15 hours.

Obviously, those are just guidelines, and everybody is encouraged to select as many games as they want should those selected by the poll not satisfy them.

As for February, I don't think I'll manage to complete Bioshock 2 sadly, as good as it is... month's been busier than I thought, but at least I should be able to finish Sleeping Dogs. Great, great game with only a handful of flaws here and there, but truly the best sandbox I've ever played!

#165 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I second this. Please keep indie games out for people like myself that don't like them. Keep it to AA and AAA.

#166 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I second this. Please keep indie games out for people like myself that don't like them. Keep it to AA and AAA.

I'd like to solve this by having both an indie and a AAA game in the list. Sure, that's two game slots for the month, but we could always have them be different lengths, such as only one of them being lengthy, and the other short.

#167 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Any idea if we could some how combine all our backlogs and see if theres any game we all have?

#168 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

This is getting complicated. But we still have like 4 days left of the month, so should we make some suggestions soon and start to whittle the options down?

#169 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

MrshllJcb, can you make a new thread with a poll so that we can decide?

#170 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Well, to just toss out suggestions at random, I've been interested in playing:

Stubbs The Zombie in Rebel Without A Pulse
Psychonauts (pile of shame)
Hell Yeah!
Giana Sisters: Twisted Fate
The Binding of Isaac

But my PC backlog is extensive...

Spoiler

So I'm up for pretty much anything.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#171 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Or what if we do the partner thing again with a common theme like posted before. (Thinking Game, Item hunting game, action, etc) for the month of March since we're a little short on time and also spend the month of March planning out an actual idea of the Video Game Club?

I dunno. Just throwing out some thoughts.

#172 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

I think March should be a THQ title. Most PC cags should have it from the amazon bundles.

I've always wanted to play through Metro 2033. It's been given away for free so much, and with a sequel coming up...

#173 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

I think March should be a THQ title. Most PC cags should have it from the amazon bundles.

I've always wanted to play through Metro 2033. It's been given away for free so much, and with a sequel coming up...

I like this idea. I've even given away Metro 2033 a few times myself and nobody wanted it. Everyone probably has it already.

Edit: Ok, how about this. We follow jugglenauts idea. Each month we will do a Low End and High End club, one an indie game and one a AAA title. That way players can choose one or the other, there is always a low price option, and always a game that can run on most PCs. Players can choose to take part in one, both, or neither if it's not their genre that month. I think that gives us as many outs as we're going to get as far as letting everyone be involved goes.

Edited by Broken Cage, 25 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#174 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

I think we should do 3 categories.

1: Single player narrative-driven AAA experience.
2: Multiplayer experience.
3: Indie experience.

For the singleplayer experience, we should consider pacing out where someone should be at what points so that the thread can have a bit of early-on spoiler discussion.

#175 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

MrshllJcb, can you make a new thread with a poll so that we can decide?

I can, but should I wait until April so it can be more organized? and will I be just be setting it up for write ins or just put down a tons of options?

I just recently beat Metro 2033 (so thats cool cause I can still particiapte in the discussions) so instead I'll probably play Darksiders

I think we should do 3 categories.

1: Single player narrative-driven AAA experience.
2: Multiplayer experience.
3: Indie experience.

For the singleplayer experience, we should consider pacing out where someone should be at what points so that the thread can have a bit of early-on spoiler discussion.

I'm not sure about the multiplayer option as some people arent real big fans of online VS, and there really isnt any way to beat the game, but it would be fun to pick a game to all play like you had mentioned with Blacklight, but it seems like if here arent a lot of people who havent played Metro theres enough copies around so that everyone can (I know I have at least one) so that could fulfill the first option, and the indie one should be easy with all the bundles

edit.. part of me also thinks the pairing up and picking that way is pretty good too so we could do that for March

#176 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

I enjoy the having partners part a lot. I enjoyed working with Dr Sasquatch and hearing his feed back.

#177 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Then maybe the best idea is to expand the number of partners. Instead of finding one game for thirty of us, find three games for ten.

I don't know, I've actually gotten a headache from trying to figure this out. I just like the idea of everyone getting together to discuss a game at once. That's really the part I'm most interested in. I don't care how we do it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#178 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I like all of the ideas, mostly because playing games is fun and talking about games is fun, but it is hard to choose which game to play sometimes. I might never have gotten around to Jolly Roger or Condemned, but they were both really fun (and kind of opposites).

One idea that I haven't seen mentioned is to play free games, at least for March since it is almost upon us. Gravity Bone (available here: http://blendogames.com/) is wonderful, free, and short. I have also stuck Digital: A Love Story (here: http://scoutshonour.com/digital/) and don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story (here: http://scoutshonour....taintyourstory/) in my backlog, but I wouldn't mind playing those. Just an idea to buy us more time to scout sales for games we can all play.

#179 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

I like all of the ideas, mostly because playing games is fun and talking about games is fun, but it is hard to choose which game to play sometimes. I might never have gotten around to Jolly Roger or Condemned, but they were both really fun (and kind of opposites).

I agree. I mean I know there are some people who are like 'EWW COOTIES INDIE!' 'oh that's so obscure
Spoiler
' but I think part of the original point of this was to get us playing some of the games that a lot of us all have in our backlogs.

To that end I think having a game that most of us have to end up buying kind of defeats that.

Sometimes you can get surprised by a game that you otherwise would have probably just let sit in your backlog. If nothing else then even if you don't like it you know you tried, gave it a good shot and that's one less game you have to worry about in the backlog.

I also kind of agree with the 'This is getting complicated' sentiment. This is starting to become a PITA along the lines of trying to order pizza for a group of people 'I don't want olives!' 'I don't want mushrooms!' 'No red sauce!' 'I'm vegan'.

That's about the point I want to hand someone a wad of dough and tell them to have at it, but even then someone would probably be gluten free.

TL;DR - If someone can come up with a SIMPLE idea that won't cause a lot of whining then that would be good. Otherwise just do four in March.

Oh and count me out of that. The 4 is kind of too much for me (I know, I know) plus I kind of wish for a more social aspect to motivate me to play a game like 'Oh I really should play this so I can talk with the others about it and discuss it' etc.

#180 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

MrshllJcb, I have an idea. You should start a poll and each person adds two games (one AAA and one indie). Everyone votes on whatever games that they already own as of right now. Whatever two games get the most votes (in the most people's backlogs) are the two for the month. What does everyone think of that? The idea is to work through the backlog not add more games to the backlog.