Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#31 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I kickstarted it and kind of have buyer's remorse. Hopefully I'll find some use out of it.

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#32 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm not sold on this at all. I want XBMC on my TV but android support has been lackluster so far due to the divergence in hardware..

OUYA is working with XBMC and Plex, so I would expect pretty good support. I mean, XBMC even stated on their blog that they were working with OUYA to ensure it works well, so I would expect a good product with continued support. I.e., you're not using the Android Market version of XBMC, you're using one customed for OUYA.

#33 seanw

seanw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Here's Ben Heck dismantling one, for those who are questioning its cheapness. He has some interesting things to say about the controller:

#34 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

It's an interesting product and an effort I'd like to support, but I also like $100. So I'm waffling....

#35 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

What the heck. Why not? I put in a pre-order at amazon.

#36 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Slapped down a preorder on Amazon. I can always cancel later.
Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#37 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Interested but still on the fence

#38 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I think this has potential, but the controllers are half the cost of the system? That won't fly no matter how good it is.

#39 LLeopardGGecko

LLeopardGGecko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I backed this very early on via Kickstarter. So glad I did, because we get the system next month.

It's so great that the console is showing up in the big stores. Can't wait to see where the Ouya goes!

#40 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I think this has potential, but the controllers are half the cost of the system? That won't fly no matter how good it is.

I was thinking the same thing. Makes me wish I had grabbed an extra controller from the Kickstarter. I'm assuming its Bluetooth, who knows maybe someone will make a PS3/Wii controller driver for it.

#41 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Watched the kick starter take off but I was dubious about this device's future. The big problem is that, at a time when gaming devices are greatly multiplying, the Ouya is using lower-end hardware that just isn't going to age well (Tegra 3 came out over a year ago, not a bad chip but Tegra 4 is due out soon). I just don't see the longevity for this device, based on the specs.

#42 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

So if I preorder online from BB they'll keep authorizing my card for the whole amount until it ships, right?

Unfortunately they do it a different way. They put a hold for the amount at random times. So you can potentially spend that money and lose your reserve if a pending goes thru and you have insufficient funds.

So if you do it thru BB make sure you always have enough in the account to cover the complete cost at all times.

xivpads.png

#43 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I supported the kickstarter. kinda felt I should have gotten the extra controller.

looking at this, I probably should have preordered from Amazon instead.. I have to pay an extra $20 for international shipping at Kickstarter... I suppose Amazon would have been much cheaper

Green Man Gaming: Get both of us $2 Credit by signing an account through my referral link HERE and spend $2! :D
Amazon Prime for Students: Sign up HERE

#44 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

What was so good about the Neo Geo X anyway?

#45 DealSeeker2U

DealSeeker2U

Seize the deal!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Backed them during the kickstarter and I can't personally wait for it :bouncy:. It has so much potential besides gaming so looking forward to it.

#46 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Watched the kick starter take off but I was dubious about this device's future. The big problem is that, at a time when gaming devices are greatly multiplying, the Ouya is using lower-end hardware that just isn't going to age well (Tegra 3 came out over a year ago, not a bad chip but Tegra 4 is due out soon). I just don't see the longevity for this device, based on the specs.

I forsee the OUYA being more of a console for 2D gaming and simpler 3D games. After all, this is a console for indie developers to develop for, not EA. I don't think we're going to have to worry about the horsepower so much.

#47 Glass_Ghost_0

Glass_Ghost_0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

The controller cost half the price that the system does? wow....

#48 Elmacanon

Elmacanon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Are people really excited to play phone games on their TV? You guys are getting hyped for nothing.

#49 nwaugh

nwaugh

thread killa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Here's Ben Heck dismantling one, for those who are questioning its cheapness. He has some interesting things to say about the controller:

Great video - thanks for posting. The fact that the controllers are confirmed regular bluetooth is awesome since they can be used with so much more than just the Ouya itself.

#50 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

One possibility is that this just ends up being phone games on an TV, and that would suck, but the other is that developers view it as it's own thing and make games specifically for OUYA. Hopefully it goes the latter route. It is somewhat at risk of going the former route (especially if all people do is root it and make it a straight up Android device), but I think Indie game developers will embrace it, and that should be exciting.

#51 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Saw a gameplay video of this thing playing NFS:MW on YouTube. Hopefully that atrocious frame rate came from a horrendous download and not this console.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#52 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm getting one through Kickstarter. After I pledged some money to it, I had second thoughts. I thought I cancelled my pledge, but found out later I did it wrong.

I have a feeling I won't be using it very much.

#53 Reraise

Reraise

No Sale, No Buy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I want one, but i cannot justify it. I have a Galaxy Note 2, which is way more powerful than this. I can just plug my phone into the TV and play games that way.

No matter how i try to sell this to myself, it comes up short.

#54 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I want one, but i cannot justify it. I have a Galaxy Note 2, which is way more powerful than this. I can just plug my phone into the TV and play games that way.

No matter how i try to sell this to myself, it comes up short.

I bought it because it's imo a piece of gaming history. Also I just love how we can make the system anything we want! It's so small and convenient; perfect for when I travel. It's a small dedicated gaming device that I can bring anywhere and just hook up to the TV
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#55 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

The potential of this kind of device is huge. I for one look forward to getting it.

#56 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'm not saying your Note isn't faster, but if it is it's by a much thinner margin than you think. It isn't your run of the mill Tegra 3, it's a T33 (which is the top of the line Tegra 3) and Nvidia worked with OUYA to tweak it out. By the looks of the heatsink, it looks like they probably overclocked the sucker way past what you could get away with in a tablet. The T33 and the Exynos 4412 processors do similar in benchmarks to begin with. Take a look at Penny Arcade's write up, they seem to think it's more than sufficient and floats around the top of the Android device heap as far as performance goes.

http://www.penny-arc...home-console-fr

#57 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I'm not saying your Note isn't faster, but if it is it's by a much thinner margin than you think. It isn't your run of the mill Tegra 3, it's a T33 (which is the top of the line Tegra 3) and Nvidia worked with OUYA to tweak it out. By the looks of the heatsink, it looks like they probably overclocked the sucker way past what you could get away with in a tablet. The T33 and the Exynos 4412 processors do similar in benchmarks to begin with. Take a look at Penny Arcade's write up, they seem to think it's more than sufficient and floats around the top of the Android device heap as far as performance goes.

http://www.penny-arc...home-console-fr

I'm sure that's all true, but unless this thing sells really well, will developers take advantage of it and/or require it? They sold about 60,000 through kickstarter and will continue to sell more of course, but the people making games may not want to cut out the tens of millions of Note 2, GS3, etc. owners out there. My phone isn't the highest end device, but it averaged 53 fps on the Epic Citadel demo. I think people would be happy with that level of quality and it opens up the audience that devs can sell their game to beyond Ouya owners.

#58 RedFoxCommando

RedFoxCommando

I Am Spartacus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I backed this on Kickstarter, I wonder if we'll be getting these in March? Any other backers have any idea?

#59 Tigershard

Tigershard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I backed this on Kickstarter, I wonder if we'll be getting these in March? Any other backers have any idea?

From Joystiq:
Speaking to the Wall Street Journal, Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman said Kickstarter backers get their orders delivered in March, pre-order deliveries go out in April, and June sees the official launch. When asked about other console launches coming this year, Uhrman said the aim is for Ouya to find its own place in the market, and not to outdo the likes of Microsoft and Sony.

#60 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I'm sure that's all true, but unless this thing sells really well, will developers take advantage of it and/or require it? They sold about 60,000 through kickstarter and will continue to sell more of course, but the people making games may not want to cut out the tens of millions of Note 2, GS3, etc. owners out there. My phone isn't the highest end device, but it averaged 53 fps on the Epic Citadel demo. I think people would be happy with that level of quality and it opens up the audience that devs can sell their game to beyond Ouya owners.

Yep, the software issue is the biggest problem. Developers have only had their dev kits for about a month. Stock Android games won't work with the controller, so someone has to modify whatever existing games are out there individually for use with the Ouya. Even assuming this thing sells several hundred thousand units at retail, that leaves a very tiny Ouya specific audience out there and I doubt any major developers are going to go out of their way making enhanced Ouya versions of popular titles.