• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#61 Frany

Frany

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Made in China?

IMO this thing is gonna fade in and out like it did when the kick starter started and everyone was coming to fruition in their pants and then finished and nobody talked about it.

#62 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

This'll fade quicker than the Neo Geo X

#63 ZeroUnderOne

ZeroUnderOne

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm really skeptical about this.

Does anyone have a good review or argument for what the "gamer" gets out of this console? The way I see it is that the Ouya is a console built to play mobile games and lower requirement games found on steam. If the average gamer already has a console or pc or phone to access these sort of games, then what is the novelty of the Ouya?

Or maybe I'm totally wrong? I don't really know how powerful the processor and video card are, hopefully it can at least run N64 or PS1 quality games smoothly?

I'd have a lot easier time biting if the price wasn't $100

#64 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

My hope is that they put out a full fledged Minecraft server for it. That alone would make it worth it. :) But I don't know if Mojang has any plans for anything like that.

#65 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Yep, the software issue is the biggest problem. Developers have only had their dev kits for about a month. Stock Android games won't work with the controller, so someone has to modify whatever existing games are out there individually for use with the Ouya. Even assuming this thing sells several hundred thousand units at retail, that leaves a very tiny Ouya specific audience out there and I doubt any major developers are going to go out of their way making enhanced Ouya versions of popular titles.

There are developers that update games for Xperia Play, so I am sure Ouya will get support.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#66 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

It's so small!

That controller is really ugly.

#67 JonnyHeartthrob

JonnyHeartthrob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

It's so small!

This dude really not have a piece of fruit to compare to the size of this thing?

#68 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

There are developers that update games for Xperia Play, so I am sure Ouya will get support.

Yes but not every game does get Xperia Play support. And then you're adding something else into the mix now. And then there's the Onlive proprietary controller and the MOBA proprietary controller and it all starts to get a bit silly.

There's no need for it. The OS has controller support built in now. Eventually everyone is going to need to get the hell over this proprietary fragmenting nonsense and just try to get on the same page.

steam_sig.png

#69 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'm a Kickstarter backer. I'm kind of interested to see how this little indie console turns out. It was only $100, so worse comes to worse I'll have an extra Netflix player.

You can also buy this direct from the manufacturer.
http://shop.ouya.tv/...ts/ouya-console
http://shop.ouya.tv/...ouya-controller
Posted Image

#70 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

The controller sells at the same MSRP price of a xbox 360 controller and PS3 controller. The extra $20 is probably something the retailer takes in since they are not going to stock this thing for free. The controller looks decent to me, touch input (PS4 controller?) and aluminum faceplate.

The CEO of ouya has also confirmed this controller will work with other devices.

Curiously, developers will be able to use the controllers for other things, like Apple TVs. When asked about this Uhrman responded, "We are okay with that. One of the promises of being open is you can use what we build for other things. But you can create accessories and peripherals for our device as well. At the end of the day, it makes our ecosystem richer."

#71 YellowGameboyColor

YellowGameboyColor

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Can someone explain to me what rooting is? Sorry I'm a scrub :P

Also, can anyone tell me what the deal with this new console is?

#72 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

The controller sells at the same MSRP price of a xbox 360 controller and PS3 controller. The extra $20 is probably something the retailer takes in since they are not going to stock this thing for free. The controller looks decent to me, touch input (PS4 controller?) and aluminum faceplate.

The CEO of ouya has also confirmed this controller will work with other devices.

Retailers traditionally make very little, if anything, off of console hardware. They basically carry it so they can sell the games, which have a fairly slim margin, but they have profit baked into their retail price. In the case of OUYA, games won't be available at retail, so they have to throw retailers a bone to carry the system. In this case, the bone is the controller markup.

#73 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Can someone explain to me what rooting is?

It basically means it allows you to run any program you want to.

#74 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Can someone explain to me what rooting is? Sorry I'm a scrub :P

Also, can anyone tell me what the deal with this new console is?

It's like jailbreaking for the iphone..."cracking" the OS so you can do whatever you want with it.

#75 Redtornado

Redtornado

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

I have to have this. Might even replace the xbox 360 in my basement.

#76 therealdeal19

therealdeal19

GIANT ENEMY CRABS!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I'm still torn on this and I was even a "temporary" Kickstarter backer at one point. I guess what stops me from being excited is that this is essentially a throw away device at $100 as well as no physical media (I can't let go of my shiny discs and cartridges). I'm still intrigued though and it could be a fun device just to Fuck around with. I will wait and see until the first units go out in March and April. Of course, I know myself too well and I'll probably end up with one in June since I can't resist new tech toys.

516078.png
TheHolyPickle.jpg

#77 TerraBemani

TerraBemani

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

To all the people that say there going to wait till this is $20,$50, etc. You'll probably never buy it anyway. Unless it comes with a $500 gift card, free shipping in a nanosecond, and lets you download the whole internets in a blink of a eye.

#78 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

I'm a Kickstarter backer. I'm kind of interested to see how this little indie console turns out. It was only $100, so worse comes to worse I'll have an extra Netflix player.

You can also buy this direct from the manufacturer.
http://shop.ouya.tv/...ts/ouya-console
http://shop.ouya.tv/...ouya-controller

Thanks dude. I added those 2 links to my OP.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#79 Ashlee

Ashlee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

In for one, not so expensive honestly. I bet many of you, including me, have bought a $60 game (plus tax) and regret right away after playing it for few minutes. So, Why not give this a try? (: The controller is super ugly but as long as it is nice to use then I don't mind. The only problem would be the games prices :/ Any info about it? I don't want to make my own research.

#80 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Gamestop links added to OP.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#81 BigBizzee

BigBizzee

I feel asleep....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

I'm super pumped for my unit to come in from the kickstarter!

#82 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I put in a placeholder preorder at Amazon just in case this becomes hard to find. I really want to do a BB preorder but having them randomly hold the $100 kills that for me.

What about preordering directly from ouya.tv...does anyone know if they charge immediately or upon shipment?

uc.png

#83 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

This thing is going to do VERY well.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#84 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

wondering whether I should get an extra controller :/

Green Man Gaming: Get both of us $2 Credit by signing an account through my referral link HERE and spend $2! :D
Amazon Prime for Students: Sign up HERE

#85 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

I think I might do an Amazon preorder now to lock one in, decide if I want to keep it between now and July. They don't charge until it ships so that's good.

#86 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

Not getting this probably but I like how they can include an HDMI cable in the box while MS/Sony still don't.

#87 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

I am very curious to see how this turns out almost tempted enough to pre-order and buy day one. I know my parents would adore this thing after I hacked it and gave it "retro" powers for them. I've seen Youtube videos of a certain plumber at retirement age running very nicely. They've never played angry birds though so even the stock system would blow they mind lol.

#88 panasonic

panasonic

Joanna Dark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

I wish this was a tegra 4. Still preordered but will probably cancel.

#89 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

I think they have a problem in that I have no idea what this thing will actually play or do. I'm assuming others are in the same boat. I go here and it gives some info but not much.

Does it have Netflix? Prime Instant? Can I use Steam on it? Does it play Android or iOS games? They don't say anything about any of that as far as I could see.

Edit: Ok the video says it's Android based. I don't know what the hell that means though.

Edited by ShockandAww, 06 February 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#90 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

Decided to go ahead and pre-order one from Amazon as a placeholder since they don't charge till shipping day. By that time i'm confident we will know what the thing is capable of. Dev kits have been out for several weeks and looks like alot of people are working backwards while others are working forward as to it's potential. :)