Photo
- - - - -

Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#151 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

If they do allow flash drives, something like this could keep the footprint small:
http://www.amazon.co...5/dp/B00812F7O8

I actually just got one of those for use with our Xbox. While you can use it, the Xbox complains that it isn't up to spec. Now, in practice I'm finding it is slow to write too, but seems fine for reading from, so for my purposes it works OK.

#152 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

Looks like new hardware every year. I have one on kickstarter pre-order, but now I'm like Fuck!

Gizmodo

Engadget

Well, that makes my decision easy. I'll probably buy next year's model with a Tegra 4 chip.

#153 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

I'll probably still keep my pre-order. It isn't a lot of money and should be fun to mess around with at the very least.

#154 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

So wait, people will never buy an iphone because theres planned to be a new model in the foreseeable future? Seems to be a bit silly whining and canceling preorders on this.

I WISH more people would take that stance with phones and other devices (mainly Apple's)...

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#155 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

I think it'd be much better as a biennial upgrade rather than annual. Makes me wanna hold off on getting the first Ouya.

#156 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

I WISH more people would take that stance with phones and other devices (mainly Apple's)...

You'll be thrilled to know I'm still rocking an iPhone 4. ;)

#157 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

I am not against this idea but it makes me want to wait instead of pre-order. As long as they sell the units by themselves with no controller I could see upgrading for $50 but not $100 every year with a new controller.

#158 Reraise

Reraise

No Sale, No Buy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

Most people developing for OUYA are simultaneously targeting Android phones which means they're (for the most part) already targeting devices that are 2-3 years old. The first iteration of OUYA will likely be supported for at least two or three years, just like iOS hardware.

I say this as someone who already has an OUYA dev kit and is working on a launch title for it. Devs want the most people possible to play and buy their games - writing off the first iteration of OUYA a week after the next comes out would be silly; especially since devs can enable/disable graphical effects on the fly based on the hardware.

Yes, but if they are annually upgrading, you will get a new dev kit every what, 6 months?.

No dev team is going to keep up trying to support old hardware when new stuff is landing on their doorstep every 6-9 months. Its just not cost effective to waste time coding. They will probably focus on the last 2 generations, which gives the launch ouya MAYBE a year before its on the back burner, this gives them 2 consoles and a 3rd dev kit out to devs. If technology is advancing so fast that it needs a new console each year, i wouldnt be happy playing 60% of a port, knowing it would be better on new hardware.

Im already buying an new phone every year, im NOT buying a new ouya. I was interested in this simply because it wasnt going the way of yearly hardware updates. Now i know it is, ill stick to my phone with hdmi out and a bluetooth controller if need be.

#159 gatordeve86

gatordeve86

CAG Master

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

Cancelled my preorder.. figure if they are making them yearly I can just wait for it to drop in price

#160 narmstrong79

narmstrong79

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

There would be a huge revolt if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft started to release a new console every year.

Don't they kinda do that, through sustaining engineering? examples: PS3/x360 launch to smaller HDDs, slim, super slim. X360 chip change, etc.. Plus internals slightly change do too supplier availability etc...

I don't think a new system each year for a relativity inexpensive is a huge deal.

#161 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Releasing a super slim, bigger HDD, etc doesnt make the old one obsolete.

#162 Datajack

Datajack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

There would be a huge revolt if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft started to release a new console every year.

There wouldn't be, because there couldn't be, as Microsoft and Sony sell as loss leader.

#163 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Explain how that means people wouldn't revolt?

#164 Datajack

Datajack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Don't they kinda do that, through sustaining engineering? examples: PS3/x360 launch to smaller HDDs, slim, super slim. X360 chip change, etc.. Plus internals slightly change do too supplier availability etc...

I don't think a new system each year for a relativity inexpensive is a huge deal.

Nope not really a "new" console, PS3/x360 manufacturing steps are different than a yearly hardware release that Ouya is taking. Each release of PS3 (Fatty, Slim, Super Slim) still had the same hardware base line (except for removal of the side system for P2 emu). Graphics power, cpu and ram all stayed the same. Just cost cheaper and smaller to manufacture over the now 7+ old aging gear.

#165 Datajack

Datajack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Explain how that means people wouldn't revolt?

People wouldn't revolt because MS/Sony wouldn't be able to sustain a loss leader product year after year, hence the product would never be made for people to revolt about.

And since their money is made via software sales....which the vast majority being large AA or AAA titles that require large teams over multiple years... they wouldn't have a product to sell since the publishers wouldn't be able to catch up on a yearly cycle.

Duke nukem comes to mind....

And for a phone comparison... Apples handsets aren't a loss leader. Iphone 5 as case example, only $167 manufacturing cost. $199 for base model retail plus kick backs from telecoms contracts = easy yearly cycle (long as they make each one a bigger better thing!)

#166 Datajack

Datajack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

MSRP, not a deal, doesn't even have compelling games.

Technically neither does Wii U but it has a post. :roll:

But yeah...already a thread made.

#167 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

Yes, but if they are annually upgrading, you will get a new dev kit every what, 6 months?.

No dev team is going to keep up trying to support old hardware when new stuff is landing on their doorstep every 6-9 months. Its just not cost effective to waste time coding. They will probably focus on the last 2 generations, which gives the launch ouya MAYBE a year before its on the back burner, this gives them 2 consoles and a 3rd dev kit out to devs. If technology is advancing so fast that it needs a new console each year, i wouldnt be happy playing 60% of a port, knowing it would be better on new hardware.

Im already buying an new phone every year, im NOT buying a new ouya. I was interested in this simply because it wasnt going the way of yearly hardware updates. Now i know it is, ill stick to my phone with hdmi out and a bluetooth controller if need be.

We still develop for iPhone 3GS despite countless upgrades - OUYA will be no different. Since the console is Android based and always will be, it doesn't take a phenomenal amount of work to support older models. We're not talking about a PS2 -> PS3 situation here. It'll be like iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. Big whoop. Smart devs will strive to run on all iterations as long as possible.

#168 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

You'll be thrilled to know I'm still rocking an iPhone 4. ;)

I would be as well if the charge port hasn't stopped working and my phone wouldn't reliably charge. I miss unlimited Internet, even if it was 3G.

#169 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

We still develop for iPhone 3GS despite countless upgrades - OUYA will be no different. Since the console is Android based and always will be, it doesn't take a phenomenal amount of work to support older models. We're not talking about a PS2 -> PS3 situation here. It'll be like iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. Big whoop. Smart devs will strive to run on all iterations as long as possible.

Yeah I wonder if 3GS will have a 2nd life now that GS has partnered w/Net 10 to sell their unlimited access cards on AT&T network SIM cards & sell through GS's ample supply of 3GS refurbished phones.

#170 SilverPrince

SilverPrince

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

$99, not a bad price. I don't have very high hopes for this thing, but I'll keep an eye on it. And if it does well enough, then I'll look into getting myself an Nvidia Shield. It'll be interesting to see, to say the least.

#171 narmstrong79

narmstrong79

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Nope not really a "new" console, PS3/x360 manufacturing steps are different than a yearly hardware release that Ouya is taking. Each release of PS3 (Fatty, Slim, Super Slim) still had the same hardware base line (except for removal of the side system for P2 emu). Graphics power, cpu and ram all stayed the same. Just cost cheaper and smaller to manufacture over the now 7+ old aging gear.

I don't think they can truly launch a new system every year and make the previous one obsolete, I think it would more along the lines of what Sony/MS have done, except they may enhance the specs a touch the previous one,two,three will still be supported (software/games). Its Android based, Phones/tablets (which by the way cost a crap load more) are released every 3-6 months due microelectronics manufacturing process, yet the previous model is still supported, at some point, usually 2 generations, they stop receive OS updates, but many of the games and apps still work.

I don't think i'd personally buy a OUYA but i dig the concept

#172 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Cancelled my preorder.. figure if they are making them yearly I can just wait for it to drop in price

Making them yearly is a disaster in my opinion. Developers are going to have to test their games on every version of the console. Also if you buy the first console all the games that come out 1 year later may not be compatible.

#173 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

People are so concerned about them being backwards compatible, I'd be MUCH more concerned with being forward compatible. How long do you think you'll be able to play NEW games on your first-gen console? Depending when you get a tablet or a phone in the launch cycle of games/new chips sometimes it's not very long before you can't play newer games on those devices even (at least without a terrible framerate anyway). With the Ouya there will presumably be more games pushing the hardware as far as it can go soon...

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#174 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

One thing is that it's only a $100, and that's with a controller. If they do offer an upgrade console for less than $100, I don't think I'd have much problem with upgrading at least every couple years. But, yeah, they need to provide that controller-less option. Compare that to the prices people paid for a new PS3 when they came out. They paid for many years of Ouya upgrades in 1 purchase.

#175 captainenforcer

captainenforcer

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Preordered one. I figured for $99, why not? Collector's edition games cost more than that now.

#176 Reraise

Reraise

No Sale, No Buy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Then your team is definitely in the minority, as most wont develop for the 3g/3gs anymore.

#177 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

What I'm wondering, and someone let me know if its been addressed, but will you a root method to play games you already own through google play soon After release? It'll stink if you open the box and cant start playing the games you own on GP anytime soon

#178 Regian

Regian

LevelUpNews.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, I'm going to hang onto my preorder, as well. The whole yearly edition is a bit worrisome to me, but I could imagine upgrading every two or three years. Of course, given that the updates are substantial and still affordable.

#179 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

What I'm wondering, and someone let me know if its been addressed, but will you a root method to play games you already own through google play soon After release? It'll stink if you open the box and cant start playing the games you own on GP anytime soon

I think they said if you root it it will disable the ouya store.

#180 MfMonster

MfMonster

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

The price point of $99 is a great one. I am sure this will be great for some, but not interested in the least for myself. I have a feeling if it does not take off it will get discounted quickly.
VampirePrincessMiyu...