Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#211 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yea, I don't have the perfect open system in mind. But I want developers to make at least 85% to 90% of their money. I'm thinking indie developers. Guess I'm a bit biased in that way

If Indie developers really wanted to, they could just set up their own website and let users purchase the APK for their games directly. The stock android OS allows for sideloading of apps like that.

#212 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Im a kickstarter backer simply for no other reason than I grew bored with Sony & Microsofts constant barrage of fps shooters. Wanted some creativity.

Even if most games are FPS/action, that still leaves a LOT of games that are far outside of the box. Play XBLA/PSN games much?
Check out my MMA editorials at Fightmania, or my gaming blog.

#213 Seth Oriath

Seth Oriath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

the whole point that I originally excited was that I though the OYUA was to break that system (30% tax) and closed OS... and when they first started out, they never mentioned anything about a closed system. And hosting something wasn't the problem, it's the developers having a free-er, cheaper platform (as far as commission goes) to sell on. On a platform that's truly open, it would be hard to set up a store since it might just be way too easy to download the pay-for-version of the game somewhere for free (aka, bootleg it).

Also, in my original post, when i said I can't install games not purchased on there, I meant I can't install games not purchased on there (OYUA store) not my google account. I never said that not having the play store was a deal breaker. It's just that they claimed it's an open system from the very very beginning and it's turning out to be less and less soo as time goes forward.

I think your definition of an open system is not the kinda open that they were advertising. They were advertising a system where anyone can make a game on it, using their own $99 Ouya, instead of having to pay thousands to other console makers to get a developer console. That is what they meant by open: anyone can make a game on it. Anyone can root it without repercussions. Whether this mean anyone can put any apps they want on it remains to be seen, although that could lead to a host of issues with pirated Android apps. As if that's not bad enough already.

As far as your stance on developer cuts, I'm kinda in agreement that it should be lower, but it could be a lot worse than it is. At least Ouya is with the norm.

#214 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- suplexrepeat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'm sure all of the people bitching about giving the developers a bigger cut buy games for full price on release day and never try to get free/discounted DLC, because otherwise they'd be hypocrites. This is FullPriced Gamer, right?

uc.png

#215 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Why would anyone preorder this POS when Nvidia Shield will have Tegra 4 but this will have Tegra 3?

#216 xRidley

xRidley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

No one but the most dedicated Kickstarter fanboys will blow $100 on this POS over a real device (see: Smartphone, Tablet, PC/steambox, Xbox 360, PS3, nVidia Shield). There is 0 appeal to playing mobile games at home on a TV.

It is nice to make real money instead of being an OUYYY-YAA fanboy whoring himself out over an exaggerated android pc-on-a-stick.

#217 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Why would anyone preorder this POS when Nvidia Shield will have Tegra 4 but this will have Tegra 3?

isnt the shield going to be like $999 it would seem this is going after a much different audience

edit. I think I am thinking about the tablet they are coming out with, but the shield still looks like it will be pricy when they do announce a price

#218 BigBizzee

BigBizzee

I feel asleep....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

No one but the most dedicated Kickstarter fanboys will blow $100 on this POS over a real device (see: Smartphone, Tablet, PC/steambox, Xbox 360, PS3, nVidia Shield). There is 0 appeal to playing mobile games at home on a TV.

That's quite a broad statement to make.

How is there 0 appeal? People are buying xbla and psn games, those types of games can easily be made on this system.

#219 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

There is 0 appeal to playing mobile games at home on a TV.

Hopefully this -- combined with the other Android based consoles coming out and tablets that support using a controller -- will start a new portion of android games that are more like an actual console experience as opposed to just brainless time killers.

I'm with you, I don't want to play Angry Birds on my living room TV, but I think it's kind of dumb to think that developers are only going to make "mobile games" now that Android is spreading to devices like this that are clearly meant to provide a different experience than a phone.

I'm waiting to buy until there's specific games I'm interested in, but I really hope that we start to see some more titles in obscure genres from small developers start to flourish on Android.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#220 apolloimburning

apolloimburning

I’m Captain Basch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

It is nice to make real money instead of being an OUYYY-YAA fanboy whoring himself out over an exaggerated android pc-on-a-stick.

Here is the question I pose to those who think along the same lines (0 appeal to playing mobile games at home on a TV):

Have you made any attempt to research any of the games that are coming out on the OUYA? Let me leave a couple links here for some games that represent some of the really awesome gaming experiences you will find on the system. I want to try and break this pre-conceived notion that all you'll be getting on the OUYA are ports of mobile games already released.

Pier Solar HD (an HD version of a SEGA GENESIS game that was made in 2010!). Completely new art assets from the Genesis version, that mixes 16bit and high res HD art. Also coming to XBLA, PC, Wii U, etc.
http://www.kickstart...c-mac-linux-and

Mercenary Kings (reminiscent of SNK's Metal Slug with some loot/crafting elements, art done by the guy who worked on the Scott Pilgrim release on XBLA/PSN)
http://www.kickstart...mercenary-kings

Volgarr the Viking (it's like Ghost n' Goblins meets Golden Axe!) I'm one their testers for this and their latest alpha build is highly addicting. This is definitely a solid action platformer.
http://www.kickstart...garr-the-viking

Legend of Dungeon (four-player "couch co-op", side-scrolling dungeon-crawl)
http://www.kickstart...gend-of-dungeon

#221 xRidley

xRidley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

What does the Ouya do that my PC can't do? Hell with Bluestacks I can even play Android games on a monitor/HDTV.
What does Ouya do that my Android tablet/smartphone can't do? They are BT compatible with the PS3 controller.
What does the Ouya do better than an Xbox360 (XBLA) or PS3?

I just don't get the point of it. It is a solution in search of a problem. Even cheap-ass $40 Blu-ray players include Netflix functionality..people say it would be a good replacement for HTPC but there are Android-on-a-sticks that can do that for <$50.

There is no experience this thing gives me that I don't already have 100x better already.

Oh and the controller looks awful to me. $50 for that, really? It's got a fucking single-touch touchpad on the front of it, how useless. How many gamers think "laptops are wayyy superior to desktops, they may be less powerful but have that awesome touchpad!". I mean the Vita has two huge touchpads on the back of it and its just a minor control feature.

Stupids can stick with this 'thing', I'm happy with my gaming PC/Galaxy S3/PS3/360/Vita/Nexus 10.

#222 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Have you made any attempt to research any of the games that are coming out on the OUYA? Let me leave a couple links here for some games that represent some of the really awesome gaming experiences you will find on the system. I want to try and break this pre-conceived notion that all you'll be getting on the OUYA are ports of mobile games already released.

Pier Solar HD (an HD version of a SEGA GENESIS game that was made in 2010!). Completely new art assets from the Genesis version, that mixes 16bit and high res HD art. Also coming to XBLA, PC, Wii U, etc.
http://www.kickstart...c-mac-linux-and

Mercenary Kings (reminiscent of SNK's Metal Slug with some loot/crafting elements, art done by the guy who worked on the Scott Pilgrim release on XBLA/PSN)
http://www.kickstart...mercenary-kings

Volgarr the Viking (it's like Ghost n' Goblins meets Golden Axe!) I'm one their testers for this and their latest alpha build is highly addicting. This is definitely a solid action platformer.
http://www.kickstart...garr-the-viking

Legend of Dungeon (four-player "couch co-op", side-scrolling dungeon-crawl)
http://www.kickstart...gend-of-dungeon

I don't think that a rebooted Genesis game really gives off the "whiz-bang" impression you're aiming for.

Its not just about mobile ports (though that does seem like a credible threat), its about ALL ports. There hasn't been anything out there that shows me that developers are interested in working with the Ouya as a priority system: everything seems to point to the Ouya being another stop in the mass distribution tour.

That of course leads to the most important question of all: why should I buy the game for the Ouya instead of one of the machines I already own? I have a modern console, a smartphone and a PC that's less than five years old: I'd imagine many people meet the same criteria (especially CAGs), and that seems to cover all of the bases that Ouya looks to capture.

XRidley said it well: the Ouya is a solution in search of a problem. I've seen people talking about how the Ouya opens the door for a "middle-market", but there already is a well-established mid-market: PC, XBLA, PSN, whatever the hell Wii U has, etc. The Ouya doesn't seem to be filling a niche so much as it just finding a spot at the trough.

It's a nifty system, but it's just so unnecessary, and I think people are over-hyping what doesn't seem to be more than another Android device.

#223 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

Whenever I hear see the name Ouya, this song pops into my head for some reason.

#224 Makarov

Makarov

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

I preordered this thing at gamestop, mostly for the novelty of it. It's so tiny and cute.

#225 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

the artist formerly known as pete not pete

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

If anyone cares, the ouya preorder is gold box friendly on amazon if you want to try to manipulate your recommendations to get it to show up for $5 off.

MildObstruction.png

#226 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

but there already is a well-established mid-market: PC, XBLA, PSN, whatever the hell Wii U has, etc.

At least in the case of XBLA, indie games have a hard time there because of the insane charges for putting out updates. See Fez which is stuck in limbo because of this. And XBLIG has a lot of limitations: no achievements, no account support (there's only one set of saves for all users on the system), hard to get exposure, etc. OUYA will be inexpensive for Indie developers to work and release with.

Now if OUYA ends up being an Angry Birds console, that will be hugely disappointing, but I hope that isn't what happens.

Crunchewy.png

#227 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

If Indie developers really wanted to, they could just set up their own website and let users purchase the APK for their games directly. The stock android OS allows for sideloading of apps like that.

They could, but unless you have a ton of hype behind your game, 20% isn't much of a fee for a) product exposure and b) a store front that users already have credit cards registered at. Without that store front, you don't get the impulse buys.

#228 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

They could, but unless you have a ton of hype behind your game, 20% isn't much of a fee for a) product exposure and b) a store front that users already have credit cards registered at. Without that store front, you don't get the impulse buys.

Oh, no argument. I was simply pointing out that if a developer really wanted to, there's no reason they couldn't put out a version on stock Android where they get 100%. Most developers realize though that for the 30% fee, they'll get more sales and hopefully more profit.

#229 Righteous Nixon

Righteous Nixon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

Bottom line - I am not dropping a single dime on this thing until it proves to me that its worth the money. People can argue all day long in regards to whether or not there is a need for it or whether or not its just a console for ports. Its pretty much all subjective.

Ouya can definitely talk the talk, now lets see if it can actually walk the walk. I can say one thing with absolute certainty and that is I would never buy a game for Ouya if the game is also available on Steam, Xbox Live Arcarde or the Playstation store. That to me makes no sense whatsoever. Given that fact, the only reason I could see buying it is if it had some killer exclusives and I just don't see that happening. Time will tell......

#230 Naramie

Naramie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

I would consider one for XBMC but I'll hold off on buying it at launch. No point being an early adopter these days.

#231 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

I would consider one for XBMC but I'll hold off on buying it at launch. No point being an early adopter these days.

Funny you should say that, I don't think this would even exist without us early adopters ... :D

#232 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

I'm considering getting one just for Mercenary Kings.

#233 spsummers

spsummers

Sic Semper Tyrannis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

Whenever I hear see the name Ouya, this song pops into my head for some reason.

Great post.
Posted Image