Photo
- - - - -

Next Xbox May or May Not Require Online/Allow Used Games (Update 4/25/13)

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#151 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:02 AM

FYI, that doesn't mean the 360 is on. As in, they can enable USB charging without powering the CPU/GPU.

Well my point was that the 360, like many devices these days, doesn't truly shut off but rather goes into a standby/sleep mode where it still draws power and technically can use that low-level of power for whatever the firmware/hardware supports.

The only way to truly shut-off many modern devices is to unplug them completely and in that sense the 360 is still on as long as it's plugged-in. (just like the Wii and PS3 and tons of other devices)
sudo mklove

#152 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

Wow they are really determined to eradicate the used game industry

Edit: if this is true. But considering the accuracy of "rumors" these days...

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#153 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

With the huge DRM launch problem that SimCity had, I hope MS is listening closely to how the community reacted. I read the IGN article today and its bad timing considering the SimCity launch last week.

They are already pushing it with the MS Office 365 license. We'll put it out on disc AND this year long license based format and see what happens. Eventually, then we'll quit publishing the discs all together. Full control of the distribution channel.

Full disclosure: 5 year XBL member, never wanted/needed to buy a ps3. But if they actually do confirm no used games when they reveal, I'll be switching to Sony, whenever I decide to upgrade.

Did Microsoft listen with Windows 8?
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#154 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Did Microsoft listen with Windows 8?

Ha! Of course not, only more evidence of what the nextbox could be. Hubris can bring down thr best of them.

#155 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Well When the Xbox 360 came out there were not a ton of people with HD TVs in 2005. I agree that 4K tvs will not have the same uptake in homes as the HDTVs did but if the console makers do not include an upscaling chip in their systems to output to 4K I think we are going to find that in 5 to 7 years many homes will have 4K because tv prices will fall in price and many 10 year old HDTVs will have failed and need to be replaced. Without the ability to upscale to 4k I have a feeling everything will look dated just like when I play the PS2 or Xbox on an HDTV.

I worked at Charter Communications in 2004 when they did the launch of HDTV in STL to coincide with the SB (the Janet Jackson one) and HDTV is still not used by the majority. Remember the run on digital converter boxes a couple of years back? Or how GS won't accept HDMI cable when trading in a system? That's why.

#156 phantomfriar2002

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Wow they are really determined to eradicate the used game industry

Edit: if this is true. But considering the accuracy of "rumors" these days...

Never mind the used game industry -- they are going to kill off their own industry altogether with this kind of thing. It's funny, they have gotten so fat, complacent and greedy that they can't see how much this will damage the whole enterprise they've got going. There will be many, many people who will find another form of entertainment if the industry turns into needing to drop $60-$70 every time just for the honor of playing one of their releases (with no possibility of recouping any of that investment on selling a used copy).

People don't believe another crash could happen -- but it can, especially where consoles are concerned. This could also be the thing that drives MS consumers to PS4 -- IF the rumors are true.

#157 WRXKayaker

WRXKayaker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

If these rumors turn out to be true, then the next generation console war will be over before it starts. I know a lot of people who have Xbox 360s that have never been connected to the internet. I remember reading a statistic that something like 30% of 360 owners don't connect. Add to that the blocking of used games and the required "big brother" Kinect system and MS is just going to drive consumers towards the PS4.

Currently Playing:   :pc: Batman: Arkham Origins     :ps3: Far Cry 3

Recently Completed:    :pc: Bioshock Infinite   :ps3: GTA V

Steam Profile

#158 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...-hot-compelling

"We’ve been spending a lot of time with Microsoft,” Raines admitted, “but we have to let them take the lead on [the new console], but it will be a very hot, very compelling device. They are doing some really cool stuff, and I’m eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice.”

If GameStop likes it I suppose that means it won't block used games
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#159 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...-hot-compelling

"We’ve been spending a lot of time with Microsoft,” Raines admitted, “but we have to let them take the lead on [the new console], but it will be a very hot, very compelling device. They are doing some really cool stuff, and I’m eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice.”

If GameStop likes it I suppose that means it won't block used games

Or they found another way to profit from it....

#160 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

Ubisoft says the 720 very close to the PS4 in terms of specs.

"Ubisoft is quite proud of the PS4 and was able to show off a live gameplay demo of Watch Dogs largely because it already had PCs with specifications close to those of the next-gen Sony console, according to Yannis Mallat, who talked with Eurogamer about the new consoles.

While Mallat didn't reveal anything about the Xbox 720, he did say that the next-gen console from Microsoft would be "aligned with what Sony announced.""

http://news.softpedi...ys-342241.shtml

#161 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Yeah if one system does the used games blocking it will be over for that system pretty much, if the other ones don't do it. Nintendo is already not doing it, so there is one choice albeit not the most ideal one. Its also possible that a store like Gamestop could refuse to carry the console, especially if they have 2 other consoles they will be able to take in trades for. IMO if someone buys a console at GS they are expecting that they will be able to trade it back into GS if they don't want it anymore, blocking used games and GS not taking in trades on the system would definitely hurt sales.

It would be quite complicated for GS to sell a console and games that they couldn't take back in for trades, and would probably lead to some angry customers even if the employees told them what is going on before they bought the system.

If it came down to Nintendo being the only one not blocking used games next gen, I would buy their console, and probably not buy the others.

Tons of people here do not have HDTV and a lot of people play their 360's and other consoles offline, so if console makers want sales they definitely need to still make their products work offline. The PSP GO was an all digital console that required downloads, we all know how well that went.

I think this gen console makers need to make their product appeal to everyone if they want sales, if it doesn't work online, and if it doesn't work without wifi then they will lose sales from those customers who do not have those things or have access to them. They are going to need every customer they can get because a lot of people are satisfied with the consoles they already have. Some people can save up the lump sum for a video game or gadget but they can't deal with monthly bills like bills for an internet connection. There are still large and small areas of the USA that do not have access to broadband internet at all or it is not available without jumping through serious hoops.

#162 Methoes

Methoes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Not sure if people read this story or not. Next-Gen Xbox Controller.

#163 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

If they figured out a way to implement some kind of GameStop exclusive passes that "reactivates" used games...

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#164 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Kotaku, got 2 more sources today confirming the always on requirement for the next xbox.

But if Microsoft is about to walk this back, they probably haven't done so yet. One of our sources says that the always-online plan was in effect as recently as two weeks ago

#165 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

So this just happened apparently. What an absolute douche bag. I wonder if he'll be unemployed tomorrow because damage control.

The guy he's going back and forth with on twitter is a senior gameplay designer for Bioware Montreal and is working on the next Mass Effect.

And I don't know since MS still hasnt said a damn thing, but it sure seems like they are going always online.

Edit: Oh christ he keeps on going. What an idiot. Is that really the MS Studios Creative Director or is this fake? I dunno.

Edited by ShockandAww, 05 April 2013 - 01:14 AM.

#166 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

So this just happened apparently. What an absolute douche bag. I wonder if he'll be unemployed tomorrow because damage control.

And I don't know since MS still hasnt said a damn thing, but it sure seems like they are going always online.

Edit: Oh christ he keeps on going. What an idiot. Is that really the MS Studios Creative Director or is this fake? I dunno.

Pretty sure it's fake. I sure wouldn't expect that level of childish behavior, unless he was drunk.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#167 dallow

dallow

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

Not fake. He's just lost it.

#168 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

The guy he's going back and forth with on twitter is a senior gameplay designer for Bioware Montreal and is working on the next Mass Effect.

Just came to post this. Yeah I thought maybe it was fake at first but after looking at the account I am pretty certain it is real. The crazy thing his "reasons" for supporting always on were pathetic. If he is the example of what a creative director at MS is like it is no wonder the 1st party exclusives have dried up there.

So this puts always on back on the table for now I guess. I hope enough outlets pick this up to force MS to make a statement.

Updated IGN article: 3 minutes of being offline and it shuts down.

http://www.ign.com/a...e-xbox-revealed

#169 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

Wow, I just can't imagine this being real, both that Twitter exchange and an always online requirement. I mean, what the hell is Microsoft thinking?

Windows 8, Surface, and now Xbox... It's just one.blunder after another, they've absolutely lost it at this point.

#170 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

Wow, I just can't imagine this being real, both that Twitter exchange and an always online requirement. I mean, what the hell is Microsoft thinking?

Windows 8, Surface, and now Xbox... It's just one.blunder after another, they've absolutely lost it at this point.

I own both systems right now and I prefer my 360 for controller reasons but if any of these things are true then I am done with MS. Sony has me next gen as long as they don't have any surprises at E3. If both end up this route then I will just keep playing my 360 and PS3. There are still hundreds of games I can try.

#171 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

I could just see the massive backlash Microsoft is going to get. I mean PC gamers have Steam which is essentially always online but the last time I paid full retail for a PC game at launch (that's full retail, no credits, bonuses) was maybe Skyrim or Deus Ex HR (which was Augmented Edition).

Microsoft will charge full price always for a system that is always online. It's future is not looking good.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#172 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hopefully you won't have to pay a monthly fee to keep the system onlIne *sarcasm*

Most of my friends are just playing video games on their PC's these days, with steam it's so easy, the games are the same and you probably already have a PC to play them on. Not to mention steam sales!

I own all 3 systems now, all work very well for me and have few faults, next gen is looking like nothing but huge blunders.

I really don't see anything wrong with game installs though, I do them anyways because it saves wear and tear on the disc drive, and really, they don't take that long and you can do something else for a few min while the game is installing. As long as some console maker doesn't put a 32gb drive in a console with mandatory installs ...

#173 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Not gonna lie, but a always onlne 720 would make me consider a PS4. I've had electricity all the time outside of hurricane recovery periods, but Internet has been known to go down once in awhile for more then just a few minutes.

Also this doesn't bode well for non-high speed consumers at all.

#174 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

holy shitballs that thread blew up on NeoGaf

Now playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Titanfall

#175 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

If it's NOT true, MS better speak up fast.

If it IS true, game over.

#176 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Not gonna lie, but a always onlne 720 would make me consider a PS4. I've had electricity all the time outside of hurricane recovery periods, but Internet has been known to go down once in awhile for more then just a few minutes.

We're prone to rolling brownouts and blackouts out here in southern CA, so a required 'always online' console doesn't sound very appealing when the ISP goes down.

#177 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Always online will be a deal breaker for me too. It is also sad for the future. I still will play my NES and SNES to this day. Once MS is on to XBox 4 or 5 and lose support for Xbox 3, I would assume that since there will be no server for it to connect to it will not work any longer.

I really dont know why video game companies hate their customers so much and do whatever they can to force them to like something they clearly dont. They need to focus on giving us what we went and not giving us what they want us to want.

#178 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

This. I'm guessing it will be similar to what they did with the Arkham City Catwoman DLC - buy a used copy at Game Stop, get a online pass code on your receipt.

I'm still not going to be surprised if both MS and Sony continue the online pass model for all used games next gen.

#179 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Well it looks like the outlets picked up on the "dealwithit" twitter meltdown. Hopefully this forces MS to comment at least.

http://ap.ign.com/en...e-deal-with-it-

http://www.eurogamer...ways-on-console

http://www.computera...-always-online/

And a crap ton more. Even some non traditional gaming sites did

vg247: Always-on: “Deal with it,” says Microsoft creative director
Gematsu: Microsoft creative director defends ‘always online’
Huffington Post: Microsoft's Adam Orth Fans Rumour That Next Xbox Requires 'Always On' Internet Connection
CNET AU: Xbox's Adam Orth doesn't get 'always on' concerns
CNET UK: Microsoft exec can't see the problem with always online Xbox
TechRadar: Did Microsoft just confirm an always-online Xbox 720?
Official XBOX Magazine: Microsoft creative director defends always-online consoles, trades blows with BioWare
The Verge: Microsoft creative director: 'I don't get the drama' over 'always-on' Xbox rumors
Kotaku: Microsoft Creative Director 'Doesn't Get The Drama' Around Always-Online Consoles, Devices
SixthAxis: Microsoft Studio’s Creative Director Speaks About An Always-On Requirement
The Escapist: Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"
Develop: Microsoft exec: I don't get the drama around always-on
Gameplanet: Got a problem with always-on? "Deal with it" – Microsoft Game Studios creative director
NowGamer: Xbox 720 Always-On Practically Confirmed

#180 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I would not be surprised if the guy gets canned for his attitude. This IS going to be.PR NIGHTMARE for MS. Any chance to put a positive spin on always on just jumped off the roof.