CAGcast #313: Dead Spaced Out

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

I wonder how many trick-shots Wombat & his former roommates used to pull off on a daily basis...

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#32 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

There's this place called planet Earth where the PS3 has been gaining market share and selling faster than the 360 ever since it was released. That's why it's a million units behind now despite launching a year later in the US and Japan, and 15 months later in Europe.

But momentum for next gen will come from exclusive games and features for the new consoles, not from what's happening with the PS3 and 360 in 2013.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#33 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

PS4 = more powerful, NOT anti used games.

Sure about that? The rumors regarding used games are the same for both consoles. And Sony actually has a patent filed related to disabling used games. http://www.itworld.c...sed-video-games

#34 buttle

buttle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Wombat's line that Nintendo should start making games sooner is just ridiculous. Is he picturing game developers sitting around. "Should we start making that game yet?" "No no no, not yet."

But clearly, waiting for games that you're interested in before buying a Wii U is standard. For some, those games are already here, for others, the Wii U will never have games that'll be worth it's purchase.

Either way, I wouldn't talk too much shit. My guess is the ps4 and 720 launch will be low on games as well. And crying about it is childish.
mario kart wii 5069-4324-7830 (jeffrie)
animal crossing: city folk 4983-8436-5006 (buttle), (tomato) town

#35 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm considering going out and buying a the Zombi U Wii U console bundle.

#36 just-joe

just-joe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Wombat's line that Nintendo should start making games sooner is just ridiculous. Is he picturing game developers sitting around. "Should we start making that game yet?" "No no no, not yet."

But clearly, waiting for games that you're interested in before buying a Wii U is standard. For some, those games are already here, for others, the Wii U will never have games that'll be worth it's purchase.

Either way, I wouldn't talk too much shit. My guess is the ps4 and 720 launch will be low on games as well. And crying about it is childish.

Let's face it with some people, Nintendo can't win. Make games faster, be more like Apple, have better graphics, herp a derp.

fs.png

#37 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Sure about that? The rumors regarding used games are the same for both consoles. And Sony actually has a patent filed related to disabling used games. http://www.itworld.c...sed-video-games

No not sure at all. They're only rumors and I was just trying to specifically address the "momentum" question. Both/either/neither company could block used games next gen. Personally I don't think either will, at least not completely like the Edge article insinuates.

Regardless I still think the momentum is currently in favor of the PS4 if only because of the rumored specs and the February 20th announcement. Of course that could change in an instant if we find out Sony is blocking used games but MS isn't, or some type of $599 US Dollars fiasco.

Edited by ShockandAww, 09 February 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#38 Icedus

Icedus

Starpointer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

(It's totally a man-crush.)

#39 Sinfulfate

Sinfulfate

The Podfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Good show but I don't understand why Cheapy would prefer android games over Sony games for the Vita. Has Cheapy ever owned an android device before? The games on android aren't great, they're not even on par with iOS yet. The Vita needs games like Mark of the Ninja, Fez, Limbo, Castle Crashers, Journey, Shank, NBA Jam on fire, Megaman 9 & 10, etc. These PSN/XBLA games would fit perfectly on the vita because they don't gain anything from being playing on a big HDTV, they're cheap, and they would play great in a portable setting. Hopefully going forward Sony makes it a requirement that every exclusive PSN game has to also be made for the vita.

I agree with Wombat that Nintendo needs to start making games sooner and to do that Nintendo needs to start hiring more independent devs to make games for them like Capcom does. Honestly I'd love it if Nintendo just focused on their casual titles themselves and hired independent devs to reboot their main franchises. I'd love to see what other devs could do with some of Nintendo's IPs. A zelda reboot from Bethesda would be awesome and the only thing that would get me to care about the Zelda franchise at this point. Also a full fledged pokemen rpg by level-5 or Super Smash Bros 4 by Capcom would be sweet and way more interesting then anything Nintendo has planned for the Wii U.

524190.png

#40 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

http://cdnroot.cheap...pictureid=29386

#41 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

http://cdnroot.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4938&pictureid=29386

Oh, that's a good one. Really good.

#42 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

I think it's pretty safe to assume Rayman Legends is ready to be released on the Wii U. I have no idea what Ubisoft is thinking...

"I completely understand you but you have to understand one thing. This is not a decision taken by the development team, this comes from really really high up, so please don't pick on the game. If you're pissed, imagine how we feel. Think on the situation, we've been making overtime with this game practically since May preparing E3, and then almost a demo per month (gamescom, Wii U presentation, shops, eShop, etc...) and at the same time trying to actually finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious we couldn't finish on time but we gave it all to be there on February. What face do you think we had when the week we had to close the game we're being told it's not going to be released? I couldn't believe it. For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wives, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news. Even then I'm firm in what I said back in the day, Rayman Legends is an excellent game and will still be, and the team that's making it doesn't deserve to have your back turned on them just because some men in ties one day took a wrong choice. This industry is really that shitty."

http://www.joystiq.c...-legends-delay/

"There are no issues with the game development. All of the information was in the press release, the only reason for the delay is to release on multiple platforms. We usually release all of our platforms simultaneously (aside from PC). We've made special exception sometimes in the past but it's definitely just on a case by case basis and not our standard practice. In this case, Ubisoft recently decided they wanted to release the game on multiple platforms so the decision was made to launch them all at the same time rather than separately. I know it's not an elaborate, 'convincing' answer, but it's the simple truth."

http://www.nintendol...elopment_issues
Posted Image

#43 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

The ability to search across your cable TV listings and Netflix, etc is what Nintendo TVii is supposed to be, is it not? When I tested it back in December (probably the same time Shipwreck last turned on his Wii U) it worked great for my cable channels: showing me, for example, if "The Office" was currently on in addition to other times it would be on. If it was currently on, a tap on the screen changed my TV channel to show it.

I think the Netflix connectivity wasn't working then, but the idea is to have that in there as well. Sounds like you need a Wii U to make your dreams come true Cheapy ;).

Edit: Yeah, that's right. It currently works with Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video with Netflix hopefully coming later. From an IGN blurb:

Roku also has a search that allows you to look up a title and it looks for it in Amazon, Netflix, Crackle, Hulu Plus, and HBO Go, it's pretty handy.

#44 BlueRock

BlueRock

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the Goliath joke, Cheapy. I don't think anyone else on the show even got it.

I agree the Xbox 360 had better first party titles in 2012. But that's a rarity. Sony usually has more and often has better. But Sony was really bad in 2012 and doesn't look good for PS3 in 2013 either. So the momentum has to be with 360 right now.

No way I'm buying a new Xbox day 1 though. Not this time. Not after the Red Ring crap. MS bounced us around for years before finally fessing up at how badly they had messed up the design. I just can't in good conscience reward a company for releasing crummy hardware just to get it out first. If MS' makes a lot of money selling unfinished hardware they will get the message that customers don't mind unfinished hardware.

Well, this guy who was jerked around and without his Xbox for multiple months out of each of the first couple years of the 360 is not going to be one to send that message.

#45 spid

spid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

To add to your guys' conversation about Rayman, it might be worth considering Microsoft's multiplatform policy as a possible reason for it. http://www.edge-onli...tform-releases/

I think Ubisoft realized that it wouldn't be profitable as an exclusive, but then realized they had to delay the Wii U version to meet Microsoft's policy.

How about a more likely scenario...they do want to market the game more than once. The same logic that would dictate the game would not be profitable enough to release as an exclusive also says do not spend money marketing the same game twice.

#46 spid

spid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Determining which set of console exclusive is better usually boils down to personal taste as Shipwreck. However, if we are looking at it through sales there has been only one new Sony exclusive to really be a break out hit, Uncharted. The rest came out to OK sales with the subsequent sequels selling less and less each time. Sony's exclusives from the previous generation outside of GT and The Show have all top out around 1 million at best.

I pretty sure only Microsoft has posted profits from their gaming division over the last year to year and half consistently. Sony has been hemorrhaging money left and right this generation and Nintendo just came back from a couple of quarters of losses.

Microsoft has been in a position to coast into the next generation. They largely focused on making games for the next generation outside of Halo 4. The rest of their XBLA and retail disc exclusives have been made by third party studios freeing up their first parties to concentrate on the next gen. If you were going to say one company has momentum it would have to be Microsoft.

#47 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I agree the Xbox 360 had better first party titles in 2012. But that's a rarity. Sony usually has more and often has better. But Sony was really bad in 2012 and doesn't look good for PS3 in 2013 either. So the momentum has to be with 360 right now.

I'll give you 2012, while I don't think 360 had more exclusives in 2012, they did have Halo 4 - which is one of the top 3 games as far as recognition/sales/popularity goes. Sony didn't have any heavy hitters, but had a very strong showing on the digital front with games like Journey, Papo & Yo & The Unfinished Swan.

What I don't get is how you think 2013 doesn't look good for PS3. Ni no Kuni just released a couple weeks back, Sly Cooper this past week, God of War Ascension drops next month and The Last of Us comes out in May. Plus, Beyond: Two Souls looks to be 2013 and I know a lot of people are looking forward to the Localized version of Tales of Xillia. IF somehow The Last Guardian isn't cancelled and miraculously sees a release this year, that's just another great title that people have been wanting for ages.

So you're saying that even with all those games coming out in 2013, and as far as we know only Gears for 360 this year, that software-wise Microsoft has more momentum than Sony? You're either totally out of the loop, or just finished smoking something pretty strong.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#48 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

re: Rayman Legends

It makes total sense to release it on all platforms. The WiiU does not have enough consoles sold yet to maximize profit for the game.

It also makes sense to release them all at the same time from a marketing/cost perspective. Let's face it- 99% of the sales for Rayman Legends are going to be people that were going to buy it anyways, so the actual release date does not matter as much.

I'm inclined to agree with Wombat- Nintendo may have had an agreement to get it early, but something fell through at the last minute. Without a moneyhat incentive it just makes more financial sense to release all the plats at the same time.

Edited by ZombieJeebus, 11 February 2013 - 06:54 AM.

"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#49 plvl

plvl

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

"7 inches in your hand is pretty comfortable."

#50 zebwinz

zebwinz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Posted Image

You can use Xbox, Bing to search for content in all of the apps you have installed, except for Amazon (most likely because you can't choose to buy/rent any videos through the Xbox app-have to use Amazon's website first). It even shows you which services include the video free with their subscriptions or which ones you have to buy.
Posted Image

#51 MrLoki

MrLoki

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Always love the show, but I think you missed one major point on the effects locking used games would have on used games. It would kill services like gamefly and the gaming sales done through services like redbox. It would also prevent you from lending your games to friends.

As for gamestop doing a good business on xbox point cards and steam game cards. If you have a gamestop reward card you gain gamestop reward points for buying the cards there. It's not a big perk but with as many cards as I buy your reward points add up pretty quickly and even bad free swag is better than no swag at all.

#52 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Any ps3 or 360 that sells this year or at least six months ago was probably sold to someone replacing an old system or to a customer who most likely won't be in the market to buy a next gen system later this year. The momentum of the previous system doesn't have any bearing on how next gen systems will sale. I think it's all about the system features and what exclusive games are coming out at launch. More importantly, It's all about E3...when both companies put their cards on the table. nice discussion about momentum, but I don't think it'll even matter.
Posted Image

#53 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Show Notes

01:45 HipHopGamer / ECA
07:15 Show feedback:
07:15 - Nintendo announcement
12:30 - GTA4
14:45 Watch this: The Raid Redemption. Dredd
16:45 New Releases
16:45 Fire Emblem Awakening
18:00 Dead Space 3
19:45 Sly Cooper
21:45 Fist of the Northstar: Ken's Rage
24:30 Child's Play update, prizes next week
25:30 Star Wars Pinball
26:45 DICE
28:30 Ouya in June. Ouya vs Wikipad
34:45 Spyhunter
37:30 New Xbox rumors
46:45 Sony changes ad agency / Vita sales projections
51:15 Mailbox - gmail app for iphone
52:15 Cagbag: Momentum into the next generation
54:30 What old games do you still play? Skyrim
58:00 IGN bought by Ziff-Davis
59:15 What new features in next-gen
1:01:15 What single game would make you buy a console?
1:05:15 Ni No Kuni
1:05:45 Battle of Middle Earth
1:07:00 Tomb Raider controller
1:08:30 Guns

Thanks. This is valuable info to have, would be nice to have it in cheapy show notes
Posted Image

#54 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think it's time for Cheapy to dig out that old Kinect. You can use the Kinect to search for videos with Bing so you don't have to type it out on your controller.
Posted Image

#55 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Good show but I don't understand why Cheapy would prefer android games over Sony games for the Vita. Has Cheapy ever owned an android device before? The games on android aren't great, they're not even on par with iOS yet. The Vita needs games like Mark of the Ninja, Fez, Limbo, Castle Crashers, Journey, Shank, NBA Jam on fire, Megaman 9 & 10, etc. These PSN/XBLA games would fit perfectly on the vita because they don't gain anything from being playing on a big HDTV, they're cheap, and they would play great in a portable setting. Hopefully going forward Sony makes it a requirement that every exclusive PSN game has to also be made for the vita.

Exactly how I feel and to add a bit:

Wikipad seriously? Would you really want to carry something like that around all the time? It's downright fugly. The Vita hardware is perfect. There is no need to strip the OS off and put on an android interface. It's obvious that non of you yet own an android device because although I love my nexus 7 the app store isn't quite there in terms of gaming. The thing is Sony is offering more than anyone else right now and no one is caring....which sucks. The Vita alone has given us free games like Motorstorm RC, Frobisher Says and Jetpack Joyride (etc).

There are bite sized games from Playstation Mobile, there are Playstation Minis, there are PSP games, there is now arcade at home. Finally we have full fleged PS Vita games. I'd say there is a pretty wide variety of content available all at varying prices. Add on PS+ and the value just goes up. Microsoft and Nintendo (and android for that matter) aren't offering anything close to this kind of an ecosystem. If anything Sony needs better marketing.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#56 wiz2020

wiz2020

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Are any of you going to PAX East in March in Boston?

If the PS4 were available/playable there would you be more or less likely to make the trip?

#57 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

I don't understand Cheapy's desire for Apple TV to play games from iTunes. Seems like games designed for a 3.5 inch touchscreen won't be too fun or look too good played with a controller on a 60 inch TV.

I agree with others that playing PSN and XBLA (as if that would happen) games on a Vita seems like a natural fit. Smaller (in scope) games that are less expensive and generally playable for shorter periods at a time. But still lots of really fun, well-made games.

#58 bingbangboom

bingbangboom

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Love the show but come on Cheapy D.

First, the Bing thing does work but I am so used to just launching the Netflix or Hulu app to use it. I tested it when I got my Kienct back. Would be great if they added the bing search for all the apps or from the guide button.

Also I think Cheapy D would be all for the OUYA if it was called "Apple OUYA". This is the device that you have been waiting forever from Apple, it is just not being made by Apple. While I have not bit on the device either, for $99, it does seem like a pretty good alternative. They are also getting retail partners so it will be supported. This holiday where we will have new $500 consoles, $100 one seems like a good fit for many people. If they can also get full app support for Netflix, Hulu, Etc. it will be even better.

I don't think the Android marketplace is as good as the Apple marketplace, although OUYA will have it's own thing going on, they really need to stress quality titles. Having a marketplace with crapware or worst, fake games (Has Pikachu on the icon but we all know it is not a real Pokemon game).

Wombat is the best too.

#59 bingbangboom

bingbangboom

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

Exactly how I feel and to add a bit:

Wikipad seriously? Would you really want to carry something like that around all the time? It's downright fugly. The Vita hardware is perfect. There is no need to strip the OS off and put on an android interface. It's obvious that non of you yet own an android device because although I love my nexus 7 the app store isn't quite there in terms of gaming. The thing is Sony is offering more than anyone else right now and no one is caring....which sucks. The Vita alone has given us free games like Motorstorm RC, Frobisher Says and Jetpack Joyride (etc).

There are bite sized games from Playstation Mobile, there are Playstation Minis, there are PSP games, there is now arcade at home. Finally we have full fleged PS Vita games. I'd say there is a pretty wide variety of content available all at varying prices. Add on PS+ and the value just goes up. Microsoft and Nintendo (and android for that matter) aren't offering anything close to this kind of an ecosystem. If anything Sony needs better marketing.

I think it is more that people really want and want to like the Vita. Sony locked it up to the point that they have lost the market. Instead of focusing on trying to bring large console games to the hand held, bringing the Arcade/Indie games to the device would have been much better. Along with the weird UI and memory card price. The physical device is solid, just wish someone else made it. Because the lack of units sold it makes it very hard for any developer to choose to develop for the device. I doubt it is an easy switch to move a game from PSN to the Vita, otherwise we would have already seen it. Vita reminds me of the PS Go. A year after it came out, the only people that forgot about it quicker than the consumer was Sony.

Also there was a Vita product placement in Warm Bodies although it was so quick it would be hard for most people to tell what it actually was.

#60 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Wombat,

I don't think Nintendo has the luxury of starting a Mario 3d years in advance. That is why, on any new platform, we see a lot of mediocrity at launch. Or in Nintendo's case we see very few titles since it seems they believe it is better to have no new games on the shelf than to have 5 mediocre games.

I bet Rayman 3 was a (temporary) exclusive as long as the Wii U met some sales estimates. When that didnt happen the suits were free to hold it back and they did so they can leverage the marketing campaign across all platforms. Sounds like the game is done though.