Aliens: Colonial Marines (Xbox 360)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

have you actually seen the unboxing video for the statue in the collectors edition, it looks like crap, some plastic toy thing ,LOL

Broke down and decided to play it tonight and just unboxed mine... One of the clamps is broken from the figure. Last time I order CE from Amazon...

As for the detail it's actually pretty nice IMO. Seen far worse (MP3, UC3 statues come to mind) and seen far better SWTOR.

Looks like I won't be playing on launch night. Fuck.

#32 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

I played the last AVP game a few years ago and I actually had a lot of fun with it. The problem with these games isn't whether they might be fun or not, its always the little details that pile up. The sh*tty textures, the sh*tty ai, crap controls and control schemes from 10 years ago. The graphics are always a big issue. Always. An aliens game on next gen or future gen consoles needs to be gorgeous and creepy. Not bland and boring like it was made in 2005.

Also polish is another issue with the Aliens franchise and any similar games. People can hate games like Call of Duty and Halo all they want, but those games have polish. They don't feel 2nd rate. AVP and I'm sure this game, feel 2nd rate in terms of quality.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#33 preston181

preston181

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

I see the game got poor reviews, but so far I like it. Kind of reminds me a bit of Doom 3.

#34 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

I played the last AVP game a few years ago and I actually had a lot of fun with it. The problem with these games isn't whether they might be fun or not, its always the little details that pile up. The sh*tty textures, the sh*tty ai, crap controls and control schemes from 10 years ago. The graphics are always a big issue. Always. An aliens game on next gen or future gen consoles needs to be gorgeous and creepy. Not bland and boring like it was made in 2005.

Also polish is another issue with the Aliens franchise and any similar games. People can hate games like Call of Duty and Halo all they want, but those games have polish. They don't feel 2nd rate. AVP and I'm sure this game, feel 2nd rate in terms of quality.

There's a lot of truth in what you're saying. This game just isn't "AAA" quality, but it's still fun. I wouldn't call this bland or boring, but there's a lot of repetitive ideas (but those same repetitions exist in Halo/CoD and most FPS games, it's just how most are structured for the genre. What this game offers is a setting and story that "if" you are invested in, definitely can pay off.

I just finished the first level and really enjoyed it. I found the shotgun to be a tad OP'd but there were some "tense" moments and overall it was an enjoyable FPS in the Alien universe. I think some folks had some really high expectations for this game. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the MP later tonight and tomorrow.

#35 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

I guess the lesson is keep your franchise out of the hands of Gearbox?

#36 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

I guess the lesson is keep your franchise out of the hands of Gearbox?

LoL... Wait for the next Brothers In Arms, oh wait, they scrapped it and are calling it something else now I think...

I think if it doesn't start with Border and end with Lands Gearbox half assess it...?

#37 preston181

preston181

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

Just finished the mission with the ship crashing, and getting ready to head to Hadley's Hope. I like the game so far. Not a top notch game, but certainly not a piece of crap. I don't feel bad about paying full price, as I got this with a gift card. Anyone on the fence about it should wait for a price drop. I'd easily spend $35 or $40 on it, if I had to pay real cash for it.

#38 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

I still need to play AVP. I'll give this game a try when the price drops significantly, it looks like it could be fun despite what the reviewers say.

#39 ONESTARv2

ONESTARv2

Dreamcast Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

The Alien campaign in AvP is fun, but the marine campaign is a boring disaster full of instan-kills and doom3 style monsters jumping out of obvious locations. The multiplayer is fun, but if you want to try it I suggest the PC version. I had it for consoles, and the console versions support was dropped like the same week the DLC came out. The PC version got a much needed final title update. The multiplayer in it is good fun on PC and I still log on from time to time. It can be a lot of fun at times.
*The Cadillac of signatures*

#40 Bercelak

Bercelak

You are welcome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Gearbox's only good with borderlands!

Anything else with Gearbox that's not borderlands related...BEWARE!!
Chuck Norris won the 1983 world series of poker despite him holding just a joker, a 2 of clubs, a 7 of spades, and a green number 4 from Uno and a monopoly 'get out of jail free' card.

#41 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I.....I am so torn over this. Heartbroken even. This was my #1 most anticipated game for the past 2 years....and these review scores are too abysmal to ignore.

I was kicking myself for not picking up the AVP 2010 Hunter Edition when it was on sale @ Newegg for like 25-30 a year or two ago (already had the regular edition), so I pre-ordered the A:CM limited edition the day it was announced. And I almost NEVER pre-order games, knowing full well price-drops by 10 to 20 or even 30 dollars are never more than a month or two away.

Now I'm not so sure about going to pick this up today...that said, I can't even play it because my DS3 controller bit the dust recently.

RAGE!

I'm right there with you. I was so looking forward to this game and even anticipated that it wasn't going to be one of those 90%+ reviewed games. This is truly abysmal though. It would seem as if there's nothing of value in this game. I also want to know why this game didn't ship with a horde mode? How do you Fuck that up? If there's one franchise that would scream for a decent horde mode, it would be Aliens. SMH...

Gearbox's only good with borderlands!

Anything else with Gearbox that's not borderlands related...BEWARE!!

I know I'm in the minority but after playing Borderlands 2, I'm not even convinced that well has anything to offer anymore either. I dunno, I played all the way through the first one and enjoyed it but I just couldn't get into the sequel, it just felt so repetitive. Go here, kill a bunch of these, return, repeat. If I wanted that type of gameplay, I'd play an MMO.

#42 ONESTARv2

ONESTARv2

Dreamcast Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I also want to know why this game didn't ship with a horde mode? How do you Fuck that up? If there's one franchise that would scream for a decent horde mode, it would be Aliens. SMH...

Wait what? Didn't they advertise this game as shipping with a horde mode? Or is it more like a Halo 4 spartops mini-mission thing?
*The Cadillac of signatures*

#43 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Horde mode is coming later as a $15 DLC. Yep.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#44 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

When this game was first announced, I thought Gearbox was a brilliant choice as the developer. After all, they were the developers behind the Brothers in Arms series, a franchise known for solid 4-character squad-based gameplay. I had just assumed that they would take a similar approach to ACM, and that the focus of the game would be in commanding and coordinating your AI partners against a significant Alien threat.

But its clear now that no emphasis was placed on those elements, and that the majority of development for the campaign was outsourced. Sad days. Gearbox may be enthusiastic about their own properties. But they just don't have the same passion for licensed material.

#45 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Unfortunately the same thing can be said of Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. A very fun game in its own right, and frankly one of my favorite games of this gen, but it just didn't have "It". There was something missing

Formerly known as slickkill77

#46 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

I pre-ordered the CE. I visited it at the store to see if there was anything redeeming about the CE features.

No. The statue looks poorly painted, the box is cardboard, and there's nothing different about the game.

I left it at the store.

#47 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I pre-ordered the CE. I visited it at the store to see if there was anything redeeming about the CE features.

No. The statue looks poorly painted, the box is cardboard, and there's nothing different about the game.

I left it at the store.

Which store was that?

#48 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Bizarre stuff (watch with annotations on since they messed up some of the labels and fix them with annotations):

The "work in progress" demo looks dramatically better than the final game.

#49 gunnm

gunnm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Its embarrassing how this game got approved. The graphics are on par with PS2

#50 Methoes

Methoes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Think about all the $$$ they spend on hyping it up... very dissapointed on how bad of a review it got. Guess it'll be a rental for me.

#51 gunnm

gunnm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Don't even rent it. I got it today from gamefly its already sealed back up

#52 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

The graphics are on par with PS2

I'm guessing that the bulk of development on this game was done back in 2008 when it was first announced. Since then it's just been sitting around while they worked on modernizing the demo, but not the game itself, apparently.

#53 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

http://www.reddit.co...t_at_the_final/

#54 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

after watching that video, the demo looks soo better lol. maybe they can do Aliens for real on ps4 and xbox 720. im stilll playing this game now though, its pretty fun so if u wanna do coop add me: snakemaster2389
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 gunnm

gunnm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

http://www.reddit.co...t_at_the_final/

Is this pitchford? How is this guy surprised by the reviews did he not play the same game I did?

#56 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

the only reason any1 would be buy this game at day one for the retail price is, because they are fans of the alien franchise, LOL

#57 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

haha... I'm going to wait on this one but I went into GS for something earlier this evening and just to make conversation I asked the employee how sales were for Aliens: CM and he said something to the effect of "Awesome... It's going to be a game of the year contender".

My insides hurt from trying to control the laughter.

#58 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

Like most, I was really wanting to like the game. I picked it up on my lunch break yesterday, but held off opening after reading some reviews. I decided to rent it from Redbox and give it a whirl and I do not like it. The glitches, gameplay, etc etc was enough to make me take my sealed copy back to Bestbuy. It's really a shame they dropped the ball on what could have been a good game.

#59 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

Holy crap, I watched an actual release copy gameplay video and I was absolutely shocked at the graphics. I normally don't care that much about graphics but the textures on the faces were absolutely atrocious, they almost looked like a crappy cartoon face.

#60 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

Posted Image