Aliens: Colonial Marines (Xbox 360)

koalak

CAGiversary!
alienscmboxart.png

You and your friends against the deadliest killers in the galaxy. Another glorious day in the corps.

Buckle up, soldier! Welcome to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Created by Gearbox, the critically acclaimed and fan-favorite developers of Borderlands and Brothers In Arms, this first-person shooter is steeped in the eerie, claustrophobic and terrifying atmosphere that made the Aliens films successful worldwide. You and your friends will become the most badass military outfit in the galaxy – the US Colonial Marines. It’s down to you to not just survive but wipe out the Xeno infestation.

Features:

Enlist in the Marine Corps
Bringing you a true sequel to James Cameron’s classic Aliens, get tooled up with classic Marine weapons including pulse rifles, motion trackers and flamethrowers.

The most authentic Aliens experience ever
Using authentic environments inspired by the film series including Hadley’s Hope, the Sulaco and LV-426, you will be immersed in an eerie, atmospheric world where any moment could bring your death.

Drop-in / Drop-out co-operative gameplay
The masters of co-op bring their expertise to the Aliens universe. Xenos getting too tough? Call up your buddies so they can drop in with extra firepower. The whole campaign can be played with a squad of up to four players, dropping in and out as necessary through self-contained missions within an over-arching narrative.

Loadouts and upgrades
Create your perfect killing machine. An extensive upgrade system allows players to customize their characters to play the way they want. Earn experience to get perks, new weapons and new looks for your squad.

-----------------
Make sure to check out:
Aliens Colonial Marines Wiki
-----------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ521yQhZkI

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally stoked about this. Have it preordered. Although not sure how I feel about the season pass, don't think this game will do well enough for a good online community sadly.

Another FPS? Yawn.

What else would an Aliens game be on consoles? We got a Metroid style game on DS, but thats about the only type of game this franchise would properly support.

They should try to make one like the Arcade Game where you could see yourself. What's the difference between this game and Alien Trilogy from 96 or the numerous Alien vs Predator games for all systems from the Jaguar to the computer? Better graphics?

Any word if stores(any store, really) is doing a midnight for this? Haven't been able to find one remotely close to where I live.

[quote name='matrix9280']They should try to make one like the Arcade Game where you could see yourself. What's the difference between this game and Alien Trilogy from 96 or the numerous Alien vs Predator games for all systems from the Jaguar to the computer? Better graphics?[/QUOTE]

so basically you are looking for the DS game? [youtube]tUq0RxTsi2k[/youtube]

That game is a 2d action metriod / castlevania style game.

Yea i know the market is over saturated with FPS games currently, but that's really all this franchise supports. Removing all the AvP games, we have never had a really good solid Aliens shooter before to be honest. A 3rd person shooter game could support more of a doom3 monsters in the closet style gameplay, if that's what you are into.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally what I am looking for is something that gives the good mix of action and fear that the second film gave viewers. This game seems to be trying to do that at least. The market is small for the game sure, but as I stated in my opinion earlier, there is not much more this franchise could support and be successful.

Actually that's exactly what I was looking for. If Nintendo wasn't dead to me I would have probably noticed it. Dammit. Why couldn't this game have come out on the PSP?

Got my copy from Estarland this afternoon -- but have no way of playing it because the damn blizzard knocked our power out and they're STILL working on bringing it back over 3 days later. Damn you National Grid!!!

The reviews are coming in, metacritic is at 47/100. I preordered the game and have to wait for a friend to ship it to me. So I'll be able to give it a shot in about a week. I usually take most reviews with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to shooters.

I have a feeling the "lack of polish" and "repetitive" comments are going to be spot on. But still can't wait to play the game. Kotaku said the campaign was just a little over 4 hours.

Please share your thoughts once played. Really curious about the multiplayer.

I would like to give it the benefit of the doubt. But the reviews I'm reading are just too much. Perhaps most worrying are the descriptions of rampant technical glitches and uninspired design decisions.

I'm going to have to cancel my pre-order at GameStop, and shift the funds over to Starcraft: Heart of the Swarm instead. This is a sad day for Aliens fans. I'll console myself when I get home by playing a little more of Aliens vs. Predator. (never finished that game)

After watching some video reviews, I think I could glean a couple nights' enjoyment out of the Aliens atmosphere alone when this gets in the ~$10 range. Which might not be too long.

[quote name='crunchewy']Somebody got a nice paycheck at EGM.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Funny how it is the only positive review. I was just checking out some of the reviews through metacritic, and like others I expected a lot of FPS criticism/repetition/nothing new to see here etc... but I did not expect to see some of the issues it has, especially for the consoles. I had high hopes and was going to not even read reviews and just wait for my pre-ordered collector's edition to arrive from amazon today just to have an unbiased experience, but shit. This looks bad...

Also, seems that the CE was not too limited (not looking to resell, but I don't like dropping $100+ on a collection only to see it drop to $50 or less in 6 months because they over compensated for demand). There were about 10 sitting on the shelf behind the counter at one of my local GameStops today. I'm thinking I may return mine to Amazon and put the $100 towards something else and wait for either the CE to drop or the game to drop (I'm thinking this is gonna be $20 in a month or less based on the reviews and what I would expect to be lackluster sales-- so many AAA releases in a short window Feb-Mar).

Also, the statue was a tad smaller than I expected, but it is very cool and from what I could tell, pretty detailed. I'm just not sure paying (what would be) an extra $80 for the statue is worth it. I'm still knee deep into Ni No Kuni and have a huge backlog anyway and while I was planning on playing this one tonight, I may just have to show some restraint and return it to Amazon...

So disappointed, especially since this is being considered Aliens "canon."

Oh well my $.02

[quote name='slickkill77']The game is a massive let down and sukcs? Shocking. That was unexpected :roll:

Why is it so damn hard to get an Aliens game right? Christ[/QUOTE]

The game was a massive let-down because of the massive build-up. They announced this title over five years ago. They've been hyping it up for a while, and had already pushed back the release date several times. (which is usually a GOOD sign for a game's quality) For the game to be critically savaged this badly after all this time...I just can't think that it is a matter of taste alone.

And there have actually been quite a few decent Aliens games. The AvP title for the Jaguar was quite solid for its time. The 2 AvP titles for the PC were very good. Even the 2010 AvP for consoles was solid, if underwhelming. The franchise has had its share of stinkers, but there was clearly promise.

I'm just amazed that Gearbox managed to let things degrade to this state. So very disappointing.

[quote name='Multibeaster79']Yup. Funny how it is the only positive review. I was just checking out some of the reviews through metacritic, and like others I expected a lot of FPS criticism/repetition/nothing new to see here etc... but I did not expect to see some of the issues it has, especially for the consoles.[/QUOTE]

Reads like he didn't actually play the game but just read some Gearbox press releases and changed the wording around. I mean it's one thing to be the one guy who irrationally loves a game despite its flaws. That happens. But he says things that flat-out contradict every other reviewer, like saying the alien AI is solid when everyone else went out of their way to say how bad it is.

What I think is surprising is not that there is this one obviously bogus review, but that they aren't all bogus reviews. The gaming review press is bullshit in general.

I.....I am so torn over this. Heartbroken even. This was my #1 most anticipated game for the past 2 years....and these review scores are too abysmal to ignore.

I was kicking myself for not picking up the AVP 2010 Hunter Edition when it was on sale @ Newegg for like 25-30 a year or two ago (already had the regular edition), so I pre-ordered the A:CM limited edition the day it was announced. And I almost NEVER pre-order games, knowing full well price-drops by 10 to 20 or even 30 dollars are never more than a month or two away.

Now I'm not so sure about going to pick this up today...that said, I can't even play it because my DS3 controller bit the dust recently.

RAGE!

Anyone else not receive their CE from Amazon today? Mine was schedule to arrive today according to the order details (I have AZ prime and picked RDD) but it appears they didn't even have UPS pick it up until this morning and I don't live close enough for same day delivery.

I wouldn't be too worried about it being over produced. I checked out a lot of store today and the only place that had them B&M was Gamestop. My Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us and Walmart didn't have any in store.

If this is the next DNF I could see the price dropping on the CE at places like Newegg and Amazon and it is quite possible it might drop to $70 or $80 fairly quickly but I don't think you'll see a lot of B&M clearance prices like other AAA CE's just because I don't think a lot of stores are carrying it beyond what might have been preordered.

[quote name='crunchewy']What I think is surprising is not that there is this one obviously bogus review, but that they aren't all bogus reviews. The gaming review press is bullshit in general.[/QUOTE]

I agree that some of the gaming review press is bullshit, but not all. Some reviewers rely on things like being able to objectively state that AI performs well, textures are appropriate, load times etc etc. There's actually quite a bit of quantifiable metrics that can be used in composing reviews. Taking a blanket statement such as "all reviews are bogus reviews, since the gaming press is bullshit" doesn't really work. I *think* your point is something about review subjectivity and in your world no all opinions are drivel, so why pick on the guy who gave the game high marks (even though he is the only one and all of his peers who HAVE used objectivity in their reviews write to the contrary). Now if this turns into something like this:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topi...rogamer-square-enix-microsoft-geoff-keighley-

That would be more interesting...

[quote name='GBAstar']Anyone else not receive their CE from Amazon today? Mine was schedule to arrive today according to the order details (I have AZ prime and picked RDD) but it appears they didn't even have UPS pick it up until this morning and I don't live close enough for same day delivery.

I wouldn't be too worried about it being over produced. I checked out a lot of store today and the only place that had them B&M was Gamestop. My Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us and Walmart didn't have any in store.

If this is the next DNF I could see the price dropping on the CE at places like Newegg and Amazon and it is quite possible it might drop to $70 or $80 fairly quickly but I don't think you'll see a lot of B&M clearance prices like other AAA CE's just because I don't think a lot of stores are carrying it beyond what might have been preordered.[/QUOTE]

Mine is scheduled for delivery and UPS usually hits our apartment complex around 7pmish...

As for it dropping, I'm torn. I may just wait a week or two to open it and see what stock looks like at B&M stores... I really really wanted to like this game.

But then again, I may just tear it open and say fuck-it and play it tonight..... So torn.

[quote name='Multibeaster79']Yup. Funny how it is the only positive review. I was just checking out some of the reviews through metacritic, and like others I expected a lot of FPS criticism/repetition/nothing new to see here etc... but I did not expect to see some of the issues it has, especially for the consoles. I had high hopes and was going to not even read reviews and just wait for my pre-ordered collector's edition to arrive from amazon today just to have an unbiased experience, but shit. This looks bad...

Also, seems that the CE was not too limited (not looking to resell, but I don't like dropping $100+ on a collection only to see it drop to $50 or less in 6 months because they over compensated for demand). There were about 10 sitting on the shelf behind the counter at one of my local GameStops today. I'm thinking I may return mine to Amazon and put the $100 towards something else and wait for either the CE to drop or the game to drop (I'm thinking this is gonna be $20 in a month or less based on the reviews and what I would expect to be lackluster sales-- so many AAA releases in a short window Feb-Mar).

Also, the statue was a tad smaller than I expected, but it is very cool and from what I could tell, pretty detailed. I'm just not sure paying (what would be) an extra $80 for the statue is worth it. I'm still knee deep into Ni No Kuni and have a huge backlog anyway and while I was planning on playing this one tonight, I may just have to show some restraint and return it to Amazon...

So disappointed, especially since this is being considered Aliens "canon."

Oh well my $.02[/QUOTE]

have you actually seen the unboxing video for the statue in the collectors edition, it looks like crap, some plastic toy thing ,LOL

[quote name='slickkill77']The game is a massive let down and sukcs? Shocking. That was unexpected :roll:

Why is it so damn hard to get an Aliens game right? Christ[/QUOTE]

AVP 2 from Monolith was really good.Captured the xenomorph perfectly with you starting as a facehugger.

This one ill give it a chance when its around 15 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='YBX87']have you actually seen the unboxing video for the statue in the collectors edition, it looks like crap, some plastic toy thing ,LOL[/QUOTE]

Broke down and decided to play it tonight and just unboxed mine... One of the clamps is broken from the figure. Last time I order CE from Amazon...

As for the detail it's actually pretty nice IMO. Seen far worse (MP3, UC3 statues come to mind) and seen far better SWTOR.

Looks like I won't be playing on launch night. fuck.

I played the last AVP game a few years ago and I actually had a lot of fun with it. The problem with these games isn't whether they might be fun or not, its always the little details that pile up. The sh*tty textures, the sh*tty ai, crap controls and control schemes from 10 years ago. The graphics are always a big issue. Always. An aliens game on next gen or future gen consoles needs to be gorgeous and creepy. Not bland and boring like it was made in 2005.

Also polish is another issue with the Aliens franchise and any similar games. People can hate games like Call of Duty and Halo all they want, but those games have polish. They don't feel 2nd rate. AVP and I'm sure this game, feel 2nd rate in terms of quality.

[quote name='slickkill77']I played the last AVP game a few years ago and I actually had a lot of fun with it. The problem with these games isn't whether they might be fun or not, its always the little details that pile up. The sh*tty textures, the sh*tty ai, crap controls and control schemes from 10 years ago. The graphics are always a big issue. Always. An aliens game on next gen or future gen consoles needs to be gorgeous and creepy. Not bland and boring like it was made in 2005.

Also polish is another issue with the Aliens franchise and any similar games. People can hate games like Call of Duty and Halo all they want, but those games have polish. They don't feel 2nd rate. AVP and I'm sure this game, feel 2nd rate in terms of quality.[/QUOTE]

There's a lot of truth in what you're saying. This game just isn't "AAA" quality, but it's still fun. I wouldn't call this bland or boring, but there's a lot of repetitive ideas (but those same repetitions exist in Halo/CoD and most FPS games, it's just how most are structured for the genre. What this game offers is a setting and story that "if" you are invested in, definitely can pay off.

I just finished the first level and really enjoyed it. I found the shotgun to be a tad OP'd but there were some "tense" moments and overall it was an enjoyable FPS in the Alien universe. I think some folks had some really high expectations for this game. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the MP later tonight and tomorrow.

[quote name='GBAstar']I guess the lesson is keep your franchise out of the hands of Gearbox?[/QUOTE]

LoL... Wait for the next Brothers In Arms, oh wait, they scrapped it and are calling it something else now I think...

I think if it doesn't start with Border and end with Lands Gearbox half assess it...?

Just finished the mission with the ship crashing, and getting ready to head to Hadley's Hope. I like the game so far. Not a top notch game, but certainly not a piece of crap. I don't feel bad about paying full price, as I got this with a gift card. Anyone on the fence about it should wait for a price drop. I'd easily spend $35 or $40 on it, if I had to pay real cash for it.

I still need to play AVP. I'll give this game a try when the price drops significantly, it looks like it could be fun despite what the reviewers say.

The Alien campaign in AvP is fun, but the marine campaign is a boring disaster full of instan-kills and doom3 style monsters jumping out of obvious locations. The multiplayer is fun, but if you want to try it I suggest the PC version. I had it for consoles, and the console versions support was dropped like the same week the DLC came out. The PC version got a much needed final title update. The multiplayer in it is good fun on PC and I still log on from time to time. It can be a lot of fun at times.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']I.....I am so torn over this. Heartbroken even. This was my #1 most anticipated game for the past 2 years....and these review scores are too abysmal to ignore.

I was kicking myself for not picking up the AVP 2010 Hunter Edition when it was on sale @ Newegg for like 25-30 a year or two ago (already had the regular edition), so I pre-ordered the A:CM limited edition the day it was announced. And I almost NEVER pre-order games, knowing full well price-drops by 10 to 20 or even 30 dollars are never more than a month or two away.

Now I'm not so sure about going to pick this up today...that said, I can't even play it because my DS3 controller bit the dust recently.

RAGE![/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you. I was so looking forward to this game and even anticipated that it wasn't going to be one of those 90%+ reviewed games. This is truly abysmal though. It would seem as if there's nothing of value in this game. I also want to know why this game didn't ship with a horde mode? How do you fuck that up? If there's one franchise that would scream for a decent horde mode, it would be Aliens. SMH...

[quote name='Bercelak']Gearbox's only good with borderlands!

Anything else with Gearbox that's not borderlands related...BEWARE!![/QUOTE]

I know I'm in the minority but after playing Borderlands 2, I'm not even convinced that well has anything to offer anymore either. I dunno, I played all the way through the first one and enjoyed it but I just couldn't get into the sequel, it just felt so repetitive. Go here, kill a bunch of these, return, repeat. If I wanted that type of gameplay, I'd play an MMO.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'] I also want to know why this game didn't ship with a horde mode? How do you fuck that up? If there's one franchise that would scream for a decent horde mode, it would be Aliens. SMH...
[/QUOTE]

Wait what? Didn't they advertise this game as shipping with a horde mode? Or is it more like a Halo 4 spartops mini-mission thing?

When this game was first announced, I thought Gearbox was a brilliant choice as the developer. After all, they were the developers behind the Brothers in Arms series, a franchise known for solid 4-character squad-based gameplay. I had just assumed that they would take a similar approach to ACM, and that the focus of the game would be in commanding and coordinating your AI partners against a significant Alien threat.

But its clear now that no emphasis was placed on those elements, and that the majority of development for the campaign was outsourced. Sad days. Gearbox may be enthusiastic about their own properties. But they just don't have the same passion for licensed material.

Unfortunately the same thing can be said of Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. A very fun game in its own right, and frankly one of my favorite games of this gen, but it just didn't have "It". There was something missing

I pre-ordered the CE. I visited it at the store to see if there was anything redeeming about the CE features.

No. The statue looks poorly painted, the box is cardboard, and there's nothing different about the game.

I left it at the store.

[quote name='shajek']I pre-ordered the CE. I visited it at the store to see if there was anything redeeming about the CE features.

No. The statue looks poorly painted, the box is cardboard, and there's nothing different about the game.

I left it at the store.[/QUOTE]

Which store was that?

bread's done
Back