Photo
- - - - -

What annoys you the most when shopping at gamestop?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick one

Pick one

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DuffHomer

DuffHomer

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

pick one

#2 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

The shitty trade values and always trying to get me to preorder shit, when the only console I had was a PS2! I hate it more now, because I may want to get a PS3 game, but not that one!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

#3 Sycowulf

Sycowulf

Somewhat Damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I very rarely go there anymore, but I hate guts.

#4 Doomtime

Doomtime

Victor von Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Definitely pushing preorders. I tell them I buy my new games on Amazon and get the weirdest looks.

CAGFL: (187-31)

Doomtime1.png

#5 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Gutted preorder.

#6 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Don't Wear Regular Shoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

top of the list is for sure selling open games as new. that is such a crock of shit, and they should be sued for it.

oh wait, there was a lawsuit about it already!

very close second is the customer service. I am sorry you think that you know more about video games than me and I have a crappy opinion of what makes a good game.

seriously, I pre-ordered Soul Calibur III for PS2 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back and when I went to pick it up I was told that I "don't want that stupid game, its sucks. Buy this Resident Evil Chainsaw Controller!"

yea, don't shop there much since (only if its a cheap hard to find game). Fuck Gamestop, ruin the damn industry.

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

If you have Growl for Genesis CIB Please PM me battousai11 is a superhero! Thanks!

My Tradelist- Want Dragons Crown and Stuff!

#7 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

The attitude I get when I don't want a beat up or opened copy of something. Or, how about the attitude I get when I turn down the power up card crap because I don't buy their used games. They act like I just spoke some forbidden blasphemy. lol

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#8 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Eh I can get over the pre-order and PUR pushes. I worked in retail and while it is an annoying practice, it's expected of the employees. I've built some decent relationships with the workers and managers and some of my local stores and they mostly leave me alone (confession, I do have PUR and do some pre-orders through them, and from now on I'll probably do all my CE pre-orders through them unless exclusives).

It's the BS in selling opened games as new. Especially for games that have low print runs. For example I just found out about Hyperdimension Neptunia (Ni No Kuni has sparked my interest in JRPGs again) and all of the new copies in my area are "gutted." They are not going to change their business model anytime soon and I can understand why they merchandise in the ways that they do, but as a consumer I just wish they didn't do it.

The only other thing that pissed me off about GS only happened once and it was during a large trade but the employee (someone who I had never worked with before) charged me two resurfacing fees on my higher value trade ins. The discs were perfect and he never even mentioned taking the $5 or whatever it was off the values, probably figuring I wouldn't notice because it was a $150 or so in trades. I didn't notice until I read the receipt, but I filled out the survey, and was promptly contacted by the DM and had the situation rectified on the same day.

Shit, one more rant... The fact that they don't price match other retailers. I would actually shop their much more if they would PM. Like I said, I have decent relationships with these guys and I can usually get decent TiV when combining with some promos (many times better than best buy and much less work than eBay/CL).

#9 lude21

lude21

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

The employees!!!

#10 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

When they sell fee lie pre-order bonuses to whoever buys the game regardless if they pre-ordered or not. Had to scour eBay for my Ho-oh figure.

#11 Daw19yoyo

Daw19yoyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

top of the list is for sure selling open games as new. that is such a crock of shit, and they should be sued for it.

oh wait, there was a lawsuit about it already!

very close second is the customer service. I am sorry you think that you know more about video games than me and I have a crappy opinion of what makes a good game.

seriously, I pre-ordered Soul Calibur III for PS2 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back and when I went to pick it up I was told that I "don't want that stupid game, its sucks. Buy this Resident Evil Chainsaw Controller!"

yea, don't shop there much since (only if its a cheap hard to find game). Fuck Gamestop, ruin the damn industry.

Just want to mention, those controllers are worth a lot now XD.

Also I don't really mind anything from the list except selling used as new. The rest of the stuff is part of their jobs, so what ever.

I truthfully really want to work their to get experiance in the video game retail industry.
Your new riddle of the day...year.... Forever?:
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could Chuck Norris?
All of it.

(lol) Its a Spaceship!

Dawness:
adjective
1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers, multiplied by ∞. :whee:

#12 SilverPrince

SilverPrince

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Wouldn't say absolutely love them, but closest option. I've never had problems with them. They ask me once if I'd like to preorder anything, I tell them no, that's that. I get it, I work retail.

I don't like how they manage their game sales. I really believe they should keep the used games behind the counter, a single gutted new copy on the shelves, and then the new copies sealed and locked in the back room. With the exception of just released games which get kept behind the counter as they already are. But I can deal with it.

Powerup Pro, I already have Powerup Pro, so it's a nonissue. And when I didn't, they didn't even mention upgrading.

Low trade-in values, I'm a collector. I keep all my games, so it doesn't affect me.

Poor customer service, nah. My Gamestop is good. Friendly and helpful. Yeah, I've caught them giving some erroneous info, but they're only human. I've made mistakes before too.

#13 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

The only thing the bugs me other than gutted new games isn't really a complaint as much as a nitpick: caseless used games.

I would buy more from them if there was a way to tell if the game you order online or locate via in store pick up has a case. I'm not anal about manuals, obviously I prefer them, but it really annoys me to have generic cases on my shelves.

#14 WRXKayaker

WRXKayaker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

The only thing the bugs me other than gutted new games isn't really a complaint as much as a nitpick: caseless used games.

I would buy more from them if there was a way to tell if the game you order online or locate via in store pick up has a case. I'm not anal about manuals, obviously I prefer them, but it really annoys me to have generic cases on my shelves.

Most stores will give you a case/manual for a game you bought online if they have it in stock.

Currently Playing:   :pc: Batman: Arkham Origins     :ps3: Far Cry 3

Recently Completed:    :pc: Bioshock Infinite   :ps3: GTA V

Steam Profile

#15 The Questyen

The Questyen

formerly gothamcentral79

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

I'm never really bothered with them about preorders. When I'm checking out they'll ask if there are any upcoming games I wanted to preorder, I say no and we move on with the transaction. The only thing I don't like specific to gamestop is them opening new games and selling them as new. Not specific to gamestop but common with most low paying retail jobs is the majority of the employees have absolutely no customer service skills.

Currently Playing: inFamous: Second Son (PS4)  -  Dead Nation (PS4)

Recently Finished: Uncharted 3 (PS3) / B+ - South Park: The Stick of Truth / B+ (PS3)

#16 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Selling opened/used games as new. If I'm paying the new price for a game, I want it factory sealed, not rewrapped or opened with one of those clear stickers covering the case and then finding out the game is scratched up or the case is damaged.

I haven't bought anything from Gamestop in store in over 3 years and don't plan to ever buy anything from them again.

#17 roundhouse

roundhouse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Selling opened games as "new" is clear #1, but there are myriad of reasons why Gamestop sucks. Also, you forgot an option for their stinky stores. It smells like a combination of fat person body odor and some other smells I can't quite place my finger on. It's weird.
tl

#18 Methoes

Methoes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

Still not sure why you all still shop at GS. The only reason I shop there is when I'm force to. (i.e. The Last of Us Post Pandemic Edition) Otherwise, I'll stick to Amazon and BB.
Trading in your game(s) is waste of $$$

#19 vito357

vito357

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Selling opened games as "new" is clear #1, but there are myriad of reasons why Gamestop sucks. Also, you forgot an option for their stinky stores. It smells like a combination of fat person body odor and some other smells I can't quite place my finger on. It's weird.

:applause: your right on that.

#20 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

What's Gamestop? o.O

The only games I bought from them were The Walking Dead CE and Xenosaga. Only because they were exclusives, that and I bought them online so I didn't have to go in store.

#21 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Definitely hard to choose one since they're all so common (except the one about loving GS:lol:). I hate having preorders crammed down my throat, or hearing them cramming preorders down other customers' throats. When I walk in, I know ahead of time if I want to get something, and I tell them that Amazon usually gets my gaming $$. They think some DLC skin is going to make me give them preorder money when Amazon has $10 or $20 credits for buying the same thing? I'll BUY the DLC from some other poor sap who used your store and STILL have credit to burn, thank you very much.

#22 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Never experienced the opened preorder game, guess our GS keeps them all sealed behind the counter until the customer gets it. I just picked up fire emblem and I was the only preorder for the store, and I got a sealed one. Since it was a single copy, and the store only received one copy I would have expected them to gut this preorder and they did not.

I would say smelly customers would be my #1 annoyance with them but I haven't experienced that in a while, I usually go when almost no one is in the store. But otherwise the stores are small and one smelly customer just makes the whole store reek if you know what I mean. Other than Christmas and big launches like CoD GS doesn't seem to be getting too much traffic. Most of the customers around here don't seem to be the browsing type and seem to be the type that knows what they want or has a specific purpose at the store.

The suggestions I have gotten to preorder are merely suggestions and usually are relevant to what I am purchasing that day so I have no problem with that. The suggestions do not feel invasive at all and they stop after you say no once. If someone was trying to push the latest Madden on me when I am trying to buy a copy of Rune Factory then I would have a problem with it.

The gutted game thing I just expect these days, that does not mean I will buy a gutted new game. 99% of the games I buy at GS are preorders or used games, not older new games that have been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

#23 Leaptrade

Leaptrade

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

The employees!!!

I think this is mostly management's fault. I know a few folks who work there, and they have some stories about what goes on, pretty ridiculous stuff.

Plus, I think they are worse than starbucks with store locations. Went to one mall in VA where they had two stores not even 100 feet from each other, inside a mall. Maybe it's leftover from the Babbages days or EBGames merger, but still.

#24 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Gutted new games. The last gutted game I got from them was LBP GOTY I paid $59.99 + sales tax and there was no plastic wrapping on the game and a GS sticker on the case. I watched them pull the disc from a paper sleeve from the drawer by the register. They been pulling this crap with me for years (since I'm a kid) at different gamestops in FL.

The sad part about this was that I turned down the game at first and went to the nearest gamestop to get a sealed copy. They sent me there saying they had a copy. When I got there they told me they sold it. So i had to go back to the original gamestop and settle for the gutted copy and the girl emplyoee laughed at me then debated with me why they gut the games and she said because they get stolen. Yada yada kiss my ass. I only bought the game because I had someone I wanted to play the game with.

Now I only shop there for extreme deals or exclusive content.

needler420.png

#25 sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude

MASHED POTATOES!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Gutted new games, especially when they are supposed to have a preorder bonus inside and it is not there. Been a long time since I ran into that though.

Mainly now its a crappy stock and doesn't seem like my local ones even try to keep things in any particular order. I pretty much stopped going anymore unless its a good sale.

#26 Daniel09

Daniel09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

Only Problem I have with them is that all there used games are disc only. Out of 10 games I bought Only one was complete.

#27 shinn

shinn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

walked into halifax gamestop or eb whatever, one in mic mac mall, i get a copy of black ops , its all scratched to hell and dirty, im like can i get a better looking one, hes like, looking at it like nothing is wrong, hes looking at me. im just like i dont want to come back later with this game not working. he kinda wouldnt, and the red head behind the counter got a better copy for me in all that time he wasted. he was such a dickweed.

#28 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Don't Wear Regular Shoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

Just want to mention, those controllers are worth a lot now XD.

Also I don't really mind anything from the list except selling used as new. The rest of the stuff is part of their jobs, so what ever.

I truthfully really want to work their to get experiance in the video game retail industry.

hey it may be worth something now, but its still ugly and non-functional:drool:

the whole gutted thing because people steal games is bullshit. heres an idea- just have a "dummy"case on the shelf, cutomer brings it up and you give them a sealed game. replace "dummy" case back on shelf, rinse and repeat.

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

If you have Growl for Genesis CIB Please PM me battousai11 is a superhero! Thanks!

My Tradelist- Want Dragons Crown and Stuff!

#29 Mr_hockey66

Mr_hockey66

Avengers Assemble!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

That store(all of it) annoys me. So I don't shop there anymore. I trade out to vg five I buy new at best buy. It's the same price and I get rewards points. I buy Clarence At target. No need to shop at a horrible store.

On a side note. Those gutted "new" games are taken home with employees and played. I've even seen people buy a game play it for a week and bring it back and the employees still sell it as new. No thanks.

Horrible service
Horrible corporate policies
Horrible trade in value
Horrible prices.

Why do people contuine to shop with them? Other stores sell video games guys.
check out my tradelist :
http://www.cheapassg...mar-and-wwe-13/

#30 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

I only go there if I have a bunch of old games to trade in that wont fetch me anything on ebay or here. Like today, I had a bunch of old games that I beat a few times and are just collecting dust.

The kid got all whiny with me because he had to stock the shelves and I had 9 games to trade in so he made some comment like oh of course you need to come in now. Then he commented on every game what he did or didnt like on it, instead of just scanning them and getting on with it. Seriously, you were whining about how much you didnt want me to trade these in, now you wont shutup about the games!

Either way I got $46 put down on metal gear revengence for the ps3 so im happy. Oh, the kid almost threw a fit when I told him I didnt want to preorder GTA 5 or bioshock infinite.

He also tried to make fun of me for having a full time job and not going to the midnight release for metal gear monday night. Seriously kid? You hair is down to your ass, you have a giant boil on your forehead, and your hair is slicker than a mechanics hand, and your going to make fun of me for not going to a midnight release for a video game? Ugh, I wanted so bad to report this kid for being such a deuche-rocket, but in this economy I dont want any to lose their source of income. God bless the world if this character ever has kids.