Tips for buying a New Car....

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#31 AzGoat

AzGoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

If you can wait till about summer when the 2014 start to come out that will help on price a lot and if you cant just tell them 20 cash, title, doc, tax out the door and if they say no just walk away and they will call you when the truck does not move. Remember lots of areas people have no jobs still and you have cash they will be happy to see you. If you do wait take the down the vin of the car you want and keep an eye on it. most dealers need to get rid of cars if on the lot more then 30 days.

#32 crowbb

crowbb

Watch out for snakes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

Good luck, car buying definitely sucks.

I did the dance last summer. I knew what I wanted (Hyundai Elantra Touring base model with the upgraded interior. ) I did all the research and knew exactly what I could be expected/should pay and they still make you play the game. I went to quite a few Hyundai dealers, and their approaches were different but in the end all the prices were pretty close once I showed them I knew exactly what I should be paying. I eventually decided to wait a bit longer to pay more in cash (and find a car that more closely fits my wants), but my sister DID buy the car I was looking at. And she went with the dealer who was less obnoxious about it, even though he was slightly higher in price than the cheapest guy. Who admittedly was EXTREMELY aggressive and obnoxious.

I'd also say don't walk out because the dealer's starting price is super high though. The guy who made the best offer actually also started out the highest. The BS Options (edge guards, pinstriping, etc.) were $1500 each at this dealer and there were 3 of them for a $4500 tack on. The first thing we said is axe all 3 of those, they are pointless and the dealer pays next to nothing for them anyway.

#33 batman1939

batman1939

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Go see Cal

#34 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

this will be my first brand new car so this is a stupid question...ive thought about that...i didnt know i could do that....is that "legal"? meaning breaking the contract i signed?

i also thought about lying and saying i want to finance...and after we agree on a price...tell him i have cash...

Don't say no to financing until you see the rate. Last year we got such a good rate it is only an extra $200 to finance part of it. You can pay a certain amount in cash and fiance the rest.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#35 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

And the transmission went out on the car I was going to trade in. Guess that speeds up the decision that I didn't want to make on a new car. FML.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#36 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

And the transmission went out on the car I was going to trade in. Guess that speeds up the decision that I didn't want to make on a new car. FML.

Why didnt you buy it during president day weekend?

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#37 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Probably going to buy a new 2013 Nissan Versa or Chevy Spark. Both have a MRSP of $11-$12. It's just going to be a commuter car for both of us, so we want something cheap with good gas mileage.

Will probably finance it through our credit union unless the dealership has an interest rate of like 0 or 1%.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#38 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Why didnt you buy it during president day weekend?

Was hoping the car would make it until the 14 models started coming out.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#39 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Wife wants a Subaru Forester, got stuck at a dealership all last night. By the time we left he pulled his whole act, we'll see what we can do blah blah blah. Told him max I would go is 25k, he said I'll talk to the manager. Goes away for his mandatory 5 minutes, comes back. Manager prints out the first place they start and the guy does the whole "are you serious? this is a real price?" bs, so I'm thinking this is the first time a dealer actually comes in at or under my price. He then hands me a paper with 25,900 on it. Smh. Invoice is $23,600 and MSRP is $24,800. Trying to decide if it is worth haggling or just walking away. True market value is 23600.

#40 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Wife wants a Subaru Forester, got stuck at a dealership all last night. By the time we left he pulled his whole act, we'll see what we can do blah blah blah. Told him max I would go is 25k, he said I'll talk to the manager. Goes away for his mandatory 5 minutes, comes back. Manager prints out the first place they start and the guy does the whole "are you serious? this is a real price?" bs, so I'm thinking this is the first time a dealer actually comes in at or under my price. He then hands me a paper with 25,900 on it. Smh. Invoice is $23,600 and MSRP is $24,800. Trying to decide if it is worth haggling or just walking away. True market value is 23600.

let me know what you end up getting it for. Forrester seems to be more bang for the buck than the outback.

although part of me just is thinking of saying Fuck it and getting the lexus small suv.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#41 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Can you show me the math? It's not computing for me.

Are you looking at the 2013 or 2014 cause it looks like you're adding options and not factoring in Destination.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#42 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

2013. I have the paperwork at home, didn't add options (don't need little things like mud guards, that stuff is worthless to me). It was just the base premium forester. One edmunds it is this model:

2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV
2.5L 4-cyl.
AWD
4-speed Automatic
Invoice: $23,362
MSRP: $24,795

#43 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

2013. I have the paperwork at home, didn't add options (don't need little things like mud guards, that stuff is worthless to me). It was just the base premium forester. One edmunds it is this model:

2.5X Premium PZEV 4dr SUV
2.5L 4-cyl.
AWD
4-speed Automatic
Invoice: $23,362
MSRP: $24,795

Hmmm...in that case, I'd say $25k is a relatively fair price. Invoice, destination, and 2% on invoice is pretty standard already and you're giving closer to 3% on invoice. Are you trading in a car? You could negotiate the value there to make up the difference. I know that's what Scion dealers do.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#44 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

No trade in, giving my car to my youngest brother who just turned 16 a few months ago.

I would be fine with the 25k I offered. Him coming back a grand above that is what turned me off. Now looking at the "true market value" I'm just annoyed with him.

#45 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Going to buy a 2013 Nissan Vera or 2013 Chevy Spark later this month.

Trying to use Costco pricing just to see what they offer. Costco gave our number to the dealer who called us and told us to come in.

I wanted to scream at him. "Fuck you. I don't want to drive all the way over there. Just tell me what the fucking price of the car is! Then, I'll come look at it."

This is probably why my wife takes those calls.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#46 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Pretty positive I'm just dumping that car and moving on. Found a 2012 base model with 8k miles on it for $18.5k. Wife can live without the heated seats.

#47 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Pretty positive I'm just dumping that car and moving on. Found a 2012 base model with 8k miles on it for $18.5k. Wife can live without the heated seats.

Your balls will thank you. Unless you enjoy having sweaty balls, then they won't.:lol:

But yeah, 7 grand difference for 1 year, 8,000 miles, no heated seats, and lower taxes/fees? Fuck that new car.
dohdough.png

#48 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

much like i say to people who post gamefly deals: used <> new.

It's not just the heated seats. It's the comfort of knowing you're the only one spilling fluids in it.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#49 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

And I went with the complete 360 again LOL. Back to the 2013 Forester, all weather plus package (heated seats, mirros and blah blah blah) and was quoted 23,800 off the lot, taxes and fees included. Saved 2 grand just calling another dealer.

#50 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I don't know if anyone here saw it, but 20/20 had a thing on about Carfax over the weekend. Basically that they miss a pretty fair amount of stuff.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#51 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

And I went with the complete 360 again LOL. Back to the 2013 Forester, all weather plus package (heated seats, mirros and blah blah blah) and was quoted 23,800 off the lot, taxes and fees included. Saved 2 grand just calling another dealer.

LOLZ...and here I was thinking that the original offer was based on already shopping around.

I don't know if anyone here saw it, but 20/20 had a thing on about Carfax over the weekend. Basically that they miss a pretty fair amount of stuff.

Yeah. As long as you don't report an accident to insurance, it'll never show up. Even then, it can screw up. Carfax, and the other one, are good to have, but it's no substitute for knowing what to look for on your own or paying a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. Carfax is more of a selling tool nowadays especially with it not always being completely accurate. Hell, my first/current car was in an accident before I bought it and it never showed up on Carfax or the other one, but I was dumb and didn't know what kind of stuff to look for. Still got a decent deal on it though.:lol:
dohdough.png

#52 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

It was with shopping around. This dealer is a 3 hour drive that I never considered

#53 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

Got the Subaru today from the dealer that wanted 25,900. $24,000 (got a few added options thrown in that I wanted). This thread was a big help.

#54 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Great advice above. Basically if you're not being a dick to the salesman you aren't doing it right. And if you haven't gotten multiple out the door prices you aren't doing it right either.

Or you could just cut out shady dealerships and try buying used from private party like me.

#55 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

confoosious if you check this I'm going to pm you everything that I dealt with, and the options and end price of the vehicle.

#56 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Reading this thread I'm just wondering if anyone here owns an iMiev? How is it? Does it live up to the miles to the charge it says or is there another electric car that is actually higher in real world road conditions?
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#57 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:51 AM

confoosious if you check this I'm going to pm you everything that I dealt with, and the options and end price of the vehicle.

please do.

Do you think you got a better deal because they were trying to move the 2013?

Ees7Y.jpg

#58 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Reading this thread I'm just wondering if anyone here owns an iMiev? How is it? Does it live up to the miles to the charge it says or is there another electric car that is actually higher in real world road conditions?

Tesla S

#59 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have several issues with the whole process.

So frustrating.

1. The internet price on the dealer's web page never matches what the price in the show room is. (You
get there and they quote you the MSRP and then start taking rebates off of that).

2. Going to the Nissan page I can "build" a basic model S+ 2013 Nissan Versa for $14,5 (including delivery charge). Does that car exist anywhere? No, all the ones at the dealers have the extras like lighted trim and what not already included.

3. Our credit union is only offering us a 5% (will match 2.5%) interest rate for the loan. The dealers might give us a 0.9 or 1.x% rate, but who knows if we qualify and what hidden strings are attached.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#60 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

For any of you Subaru-heads, did you get in on the VIP program? I'm debating whether or not to get a BRZ. With 2.9 APR and the last auto Black Limited in 100 miles, I'm VERY tempted at $27k, which is basically invoice after destination. VIP program would take me 2% under invoice.

I have several issues with the whole process.

So frustrating.

1. The internet price on the dealer's web page never matches what the price in the show room is. (You
get there and they quote you the MSRP and then start taking rebates off of that).

2. Going to the Nissan page I can "build" a basic model S+ 2013 Nissan Versa for $14,5 (including delivery charge). Does that car exist anywhere? No, all the ones at the dealers have the extras like lighted trim and what not already included.

3. Our credit union is only offering us a 5% (will match 2.5%) interest rate for the loan. The dealers might give us a 0.9 or 1.x% rate, but who knows if we qualify and what hidden strings are attached.

You'll need to special order the Versa at a dealership. You should be able to find at least one place that'll do it for you. Those special finance rates only require you to have a FICO score of 700 or more, but some have limited terms like only being for 24 or 36 months financing. Some manufacturers have an even better rate for scores over 720-750.

Edited by dohdough, 05 April 2013 - 06:39 PM.

dohdough.png