Star Ocean: The Last Hope International $16.99 shipped @ BestSku

Good price. The International version (PS3) is the one to get, as the 360 version only has the English voice track... and it's kind of not-good.

[quote name='morrodox']Good price. The International version (PS3) is the one to get, as the 360 version only has the English voice track... and it's kind of not-good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I paid $19.99 for it at NewEgg a few months back, it's back up to 39.99 there now. Haven't touched it yet, trying to clear some short games from my backlog. Looking forward to it though. Haven't played a JRPG since Eternal Sonata in 2011.

What is the general consensus on this site? Pretty reliable?

do they have free shipping on everything or just select items?

thanks

[quote name='pdjones']What is the general consensus on this site? Pretty reliable?

do they have free shipping on everything or just select items?

thanks[/QUOTE]

I've used them before, and wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. They supposedly just offer free shipping on select items. However, this game doesn't list free shipping on the product page, but there is no shipping charge at the checkout screen.

[quote name='roedaniel19']Yeah I paid $19.99 for it at NewEgg a few months back, it's back up to 39.99 there now. Haven't touched it yet, trying to clear some short games from my backlog. Looking forward to it though. Haven't played a JRPG since Eternal Sonata in 2011.[/QUOTE]
amazon has it in stock for $17.25 (3rd party fulfilled by amazon)

I liked this game a lot, however there were a lot of flaws from my perspective. I hated that there was so much missable stuff in the game. Whether or not you got everyone's endings required painstaking planning with little room for error. I also despised the trophies. Well a lot of them. Some of them were ridiculous like "deal exactly 23456 damage with a single attack" or "kill 3000 enemies with this character" or deal the killing blow to the optional superboss with the weakest playable character. But it was a good solid game with a decent story and mostly enjoyable gameplay.

[quote name='the_ENEMY_']ive been on the fence about this game for over a year now. sigh.[/QUOTE]

same here. every time it goes on sale, i get 1/2 way off the fence, LOL.
is this the game w/the 40+ endings? how different are they actually?

I get a $2 shipping for this game (also got Fist of the Northstar: Ken's Rage (ps3) which upped it to $7 total shipping). Weird that others got it for free. Maybe it was a glitch or something. Ah well.

[quote name='pdjones']oh and the only option I see for payment is Paypal. wtf?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the only payment option they accept.

[quote name='pdjones']I get a $2 shipping for this game (also got Fist of the Northstar: Ken's Rage (ps3) which upped it to $7 total shipping). Weird that others got it for free. Maybe it was a glitch or something. Ah well.[/QUOTE]

That's odd, maybe it depends on where you live? No idea why it would be an extra $5 to add one game to the order either. If you decide to just go with Star Ocean though, $18.99 shipped is still a good price.

[quote name='TooPoor']Vets: What is the lowest price for this game thus far?[/QUOTE]

The cheapest I remember new was 15.99 @ newegg, for a short time.

[quote name='gutter2d']I loved this game. My 2nd favorite Star Ocean games behind Star Ocean 3.[/QUOTE]

Have you not played the first 2?

[quote name='TooPoor']Vets: What is the lowest price for this game thus far?[/QUOTE]
Haven't seen anything under $15.99 from newegg which was when I bought it about a year ago (for xmas).

This is a good description of the game.

http://www.whysohostile.com/Posts.php?P=623&F=1

I've been playing JRPG's since they were first created as a genre and have probably played more than 99% of gamers. This game is NOT a good JRPG. It's below average at best. You'd be better off replaying Xenosaga for a sci-fi space travel JRPG. That game is a gift from god compared to SO4.

The game has its flaws, but it's a long adventure that should appease RPG fanatics. I still think the battle system is among the best of any RPG I've played. As someone said earlier, some of the trophies are ridiculous, but there are plenty of free guides available to make the process less painful if that's your type of deal.

At this price, I'd recommend this to someone who might be interested. This is easily the one to get as you don't the Japanese voice track on the 360 version and that alone made me quit playing that version. The game has its other flaws but it's a decent RPG and it'll last you quite awhile. But it won't change your mind if you don't already like JRPGs.

I'm working on this game right now, and I'm near the end. Not sure what the haters are talking about, it's been well worth the time I've put in it. Is it something I'll platinum or do much trophy-chase on? No. But that's not why I play games anyway.

Pick it up. At $.33/hr., there's really little to complain about.

[quote name='Kenmeii']At this price, I'd recommend this to someone who might be interested. This is easily the one to get as you don't the Japanese voice track on the 360 version and that alone made me quit playing that version. The game has its other flaws but it's a decent RPG and it'll last you quite awhile. But it won't change your mind if you don't already like JRPGs.[/QUOTE]

Many people that enjoy JRPG's line myself don't like it. There's something different about the generation of gamers that didnt find out about JRPG's until the PS2. I don't know if you're in that category or not but I've noticed a trend that they tend to defend all JRPG's.

the strategy guide is super rare for this game, I picked up guide back then for about 2 dollars more than the game price right now....

I loved this game but got stuck half way through by a super overpowered boss or perhaps I was under leveled. I picked up a copy for $15.99 shipped over at Amazon.

[quote name='Blaster man']Many people that enjoy JRPG's line myself don't like it. There's something different about the generation of gamers that didnt find out about JRPG's until the PS2. I don't know if you're in that category or not but I've noticed a trend that they tend to defend all JRPG's.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth. These guys are the worst apologists since NAMBLA.

I thought Star Ocean: TTEoT was a crime against humanity, so people recommending this game saying it ranks "up there" with it don't exactly instill confidence. Part of me wants to get this for collection purposes, but since it hasn't gotten hard to find yet I'll hold off. I still have The Last Story and FFXIII-2 in my backlog anyway, and those are two I actually expect to enjoy. :p

I will say this tho, getting trophies in most JRPGs is an exercise in frustration so I generally ignore them (Ni No Kuni was a rare exception since not only was that game incredibly fun, but the trophies were all very reasonable).

I played the 360 version up until a bit past where you get the little girl on your team (whose voice was awful and awkward)... and then kind of let it drift by the wayside. I really liked Star Ocean Second Story and Till The End of Time (aside from the plot twist)...

Just having bought a PS3, I might consider it...

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Any reason to buy the 360 version over the PS3?
Outside of not owning a PS3 of course.[/QUOTE]

Well, the PS3 version has the original Japanese language track included as an option, with some other small extras. I keep hearing the English language track sucks.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Any reason to buy the 360 version over the PS3?
Outside of not owning a PS3 of course.[/QUOTE]

The 360 version is a pain in the ass. You have to swap disks too much. When you hit endgame you won't even want to travel back to the old planets. Don't get this game at all but if you're going to get it, for god's sake, get the PS3 version.

bread's done
Back