Photo
- - - - -

DOA: Target PM BB's President's Day Sale: Professor Layton for 16.06 w/ $10 gift card

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

So hears the story:

I went to Best Buy to take advantage of their President's Day sale. When I got there, they didn't have Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask for 3DS, so I decided to go to Target down the street and asked them to price match it with Bestbuy.com. I forgot about the sale they have going on right now where you can buy any game $39.99 or more and a reservation card to pre order a game (for $1) and you get a $10 gift card. Even though I price matched the game for $14.99, it still prompted the cashier to scan a $10 gift card. So the game with the reservation card cost 16.06 with tax and 30 cents off for using my RedCard, and I got a $10 gift card.

So, obviously this won't work with just Professor Layton, but with any of the games normally priced over $39.99, (like Skyward Sword).

I'm a new user so I can't post a picture of my receipt or a link to where you can find it. Let me know if there is another way I can show it to you guys.

#2 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

That's a great deal if people are able to get the cs rep to give them the gc after pm.

#3 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Oh, shit.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#4 jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

yea this is usually how target works with their gift cards deals.. they only check the normal price not the changed one.

does target match bestbuy.com? i thought only if it's in their sunday ad

#5 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

That's a great deal if people are able to get the cs rep to give them the gc after pm.

I think the system automatically tells them to do it. They can't just give gift cards out for free. Maybe the cashier has to first scan both and then adjust the price of the game. I should have asked they guy at guest services.

#6 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

yea this is usually how target works with their gift cards deals.. they only check the normal price not the changed one.

does target match bestbuy.com? i thought only if it's in their sunday ad

Yes they do! And Amazon.com. After the holiday season they announced that their seasonal price match would extend through the normal year. I price matched some Wii U games with Target had the buy 2 get 1 free on Wii U games. I got at least 5 or 10 off on each game by price matching Amazon.com's price, and then got the B2G1 deal. They do it at Guest Services with and iPad, they won't price match by looking at your phone or something.

#7 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

I should have done this with Kid Icarus.

#8 RainFall

RainFall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

Doesn't work in Redmond, WA store. They always remove GC from PM

#9 Hades79

Hades79

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

I did this with skyward sword last year when Kmart had it for 19.99 by accident and target price matched and I got a gift card.

#10 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

I think the system automatically tells them to do it. They can't just give gift cards out for free. Maybe the cashier has to first scan both and then adjust the price of the game. I should have asked they guy at guest services.

It automatically prompts them but some cs reps know they're not supposed to stack the promo with a pm and will deny the gc.

#11 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

It automatically prompts them but some cs reps know they're not supposed to stack the promo with a pm and will deny the gc.

Ahh I see. so YMMV then I guess. Good luck to those trying it out, you only have tomorrow left to do it.

#12 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

Looks like it would work with darksiders 2 and professor layton. I am not sure about Kid Icarus and Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 since the websites prices are under $39.99

#13 jessesixto

jessesixto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

it worked with me at two store with icurus kid :)

#14 Shugo2540

Shugo2540

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

Ill try this tomorrow but I've tried to PM at my target and always get the excuse that I have to have the physical add.

#15 HenDoggy

HenDoggy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

so what you are saying is you have to do the pricematch with the game and also preorder another game for $1 to get the giftcard? i want to do this tommorrow and make sure thats what you have to do thanks.

#16 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Yes, you price match the game and get a $1 preorder card.

#17 Stimes

Stimes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

Wow, should try this with Darksiders 2 maybe Skyrim if that works out.

#18 zerobscure

zerobscure

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

This actually worked. Dropped by my Target store, what...bout 30 mins before closing?, just right after reading this lol Snagged me an Epic mickey2, Prof Layton and DarkSiders II.

lol employee was a CAG reader too, had a bit of a chat, found out we're both newbies @ CAG...told me the $10 gift cards wont work since if I price match the games, they'll be lower than $39.99(the prerequisite to get the gift cards) and I wont avail them.

Down we went to customer service. Price matched them games with BB...boom comes the gift cards :D
Thanks CAG...made out like an assassin again!

#19 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Now if there were only games I were willing to pre-order and end up paying full price for.

oIi9lub.png

#20 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

You don't have to actually pick up the pre-order to keep the giftcard.

#21 zerobscure

zerobscure

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

yep. i just took 3 God of war preorders which i will never buy :D
along with 3 games worth $39.99 pricematched to cheap perfection @ BB.
I basically get three preorder cards worth $3 = $30 GC

#22 HenDoggy

HenDoggy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

did they ask you for a ad?

#23 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

That's right you don't. You just buy it for a dollar to get the $10 gift card. Although if you do end up picking up the game you pre-order, they give you a $5 Target gift card with your purchase. I would have wanted to pre-order Luigi's Mansion or Lego City Undercover, but all the pre-order cards for those were gone :( So I pre-orderd GTA5, but I don't plan on buying it at launch.

#24 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

did they ask you for a ad?

Target will now price match with select online retailers (including Amazon.com and Bestbuy.com) when you get the game, tell them you plan on price matching it at Guest Services. When you're there, tell them you're price matching with BestBuy.com and they will get out their iPad and verify the price themselves. But if you already have the President's day ad with you that may go quicker.

So in short, you don't need an ad if the price for what you want to PM with is on that store's website.

#25 jam8611

jam8611

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

It is definite YMMV went to one target and the manager let me have the 10 gift and then went to another to get Layton but manager there said I have to pick one or the other.

#26 forthenguyen

forthenguyen

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Do I need to play the past Layton games to get this one? I don't know anything about the series

#27 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Do I need to play the past Layton games to get this one? I don't know anything about the series

My wife played it for 3 hours straight last night and she's never played another game in the series. So my guess is no.

#28 HenDoggy

HenDoggy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Target will now price match with select online retailers (including Amazon.com and Bestbuy.com) when you get the game, tell them you plan on price matching it at Guest Services. When you're there, tell them you're price matching with BestBuy.com and they will get out their iPad and verify the price themselves. But if you already have the President's day ad with you that may go quicker.

So in short, you don't need an ad if the price for what you want to PM with is on that store's website.

cool did the manager have to come over and overide? i don't have good luck with managers lol

#29 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

When I've done it in the past, it seems like only some of the Guest Service Cashiers can do it because I told one I wanted to do it and she had to call someone else over to help me out.

The guy who helped me out yesterday I'm pretty sure wasn't like the GSTL, which is the manager over the cashier lanes and guest services, so it just has to be someone who has been trained to do it I'm guessing.

#30 forthenguyen

forthenguyen

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I never end up having any luck with PM+promos which sort of discourages me. I'd like to get all three (Icarus, Paper Mario, Layton) though and spend the $30 GC on Fire Emblem Awakening. It'd end up being $64+tax and a $10 gift card left over.