New Disney Ghibli Blus: Totoro and Howl

It's unfortunate that these never go on sale. I'd own all of the Studio Ghibli films on bluray if they weren't so damn expensive.

NICE. I also just found out there's a new movie coming to theaters this year: From Up on Poppy Hill. Seems more in line with Whispers of the Heart, which isn't exactly a favorite of mine but I'm glad more and more of these are seeing international releases.

[quote name='Jodou']NICE. I also just found out there's a new movie coming to theaters this year: From Up on Poppy Hill. Seems more in line with Whispers of the Heart, which isn't exactly a favorite of mine but I'm glad more and more of these are seeing international releases.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that one releases theatrically in March. Apparently Disney turned down the rights, so GKIDS has both the theatrical and DVD/BR rights in the US. Expect a BR release sometime in 2013.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Damn. Was hoping it would be Kiki's Delivery Service next. Oh well. Will get both, hopefully they have a deal like last time.[/QUOTE]

I have been impatiently waiting for that one.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']Thanks for posting this OP. This made my wife's day. I actually jumped up and ran to the bedroom to wake her up and tell her the date on it.[/QUOTE]

No worries, although I did have some hesitation because it's not a deal per se (I'll add coupons when/if they show up). I was particularly excited because I've had an order for the super expensive japanese versions of these two movies sitting in my amazon.co.jp cart for a few days :)

Nice to see more Ghibli releases out there on BluRay.

Time to trade/sell my DVD copies of each.

Hopefully Best Buy will have a coupon/discount deal like they did with Arrietty came out where buying both saved you 1/2 off one of the titles.

I bought Castle in the Sky when it was re-released on DVD... same with Totoro. So it's kind of disheartening to see them re-released AGAIN on Blu-ray.

But the Ghibli fan that I am will pick them up anyway.

Glad Howl's finally coming out, but I'm still waiting on Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Also, Amazon normally releases coupons to combat Disney's inevitable manufacturer deals, so be on the lookout.

[quote name='DRV']Glad Howl's finally coming out, but I'm still waiting on Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.[/QUOTE]

Everyone is. Sadly, neither of those are even out in Japan yet, so we have a long wait ahead of us.

In for Totoro. Now if can get Spirited Away on Blu before my kids become jerks and not want to enjoy fun movies with their Dad I will be set.

[quote name='fujishig']Wait there's a kittenbus short? Why hasn't it ever been added to the totoro releases?[/QUOTE]

It's exclusive to the ghibli museum, and I guess they want to keep it that way. There was some cam video on youtube, but looks like they've removed it.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Yeah, that one releases theatrically in March. Apparently Disney turned down the rights, so GKIDS has both the theatrical and DVD/BR rights in the US. Expect a BR release sometime in 2013.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. DISNEY refused the rights to it?! Wow...I may have to buy the U.S. version(if it's $20 or under) just to spite Disney. On the other hand it's already out on Blu-ray out in Japan and will likely keep the best cover. Hmmm.
As for your comment about Totoro it's been on Blu-ray for a while in Japan(released at the same time as "Grave Of the Fireflies") and has a BETTER cover. Kiki's Delivery Service is soon to be out there, if not out there already. If you'd like me to find the link from Amazon.co.jp which lists them all, I will. It even has them by dates of when they were released. :D
Sadly, "Spirited Away" is still missing on Blu-ray. :(
Jeez gkrykewy, now I'm wishing I went to the Ghibli Museum the last time I was in Toukyou.

[quote name='Sarang01']Holy shit. DISNEY refused the rights to it?! Wow...I may have to buy the U.S. version(if it's $20 or under) just to spite Disney. On the other hand it's already out on Blu-ray out in Japan and will likely keep the best cover. Hmmm.
As for your comment about Totoro it's been on Blu-ray for a while in Japan(released at the same time as "Grave Of the Fireflies") and has a BETTER cover. Kiki's Delivery Service is soon to be out there, if not out there already. If you'd like me to find the link from Amazon.co.jp which lists them all, I will. It even has them by dates of when they were released. :D
Jeez gkrykewy, now I'm wishing I went to the Ghibli Museum the last time I was in Toukyou.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the japanese releases have the disney dubs and better covers (and are region free), but the covers aren't $40 better IMO :)

I disagree(about the covers, dislike dubbing) and here's the link for anyone interested in what the Japanese have on Blu-ray for Miyazaki-san.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/feature....&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=112221229&pf_rd_i=656746

Hopefully that comes out right. Apparently "Kiki's Delivery Service" came out at the beginning of December and one other movie also came out but I can't figure it out. Sadly it doesn't look like it's "Spirited Away".

Speaking of covers, I was looking to get the Japanese version of "Wall-E" over the American one. The cover is awesome!!!

Oh and those Blu's shouldn't be too expensive over the American one's. The exchange rate has gotten better, up to 94 Yen to the dollar. Also the Blurays are a little over $50 at Amazon given that exchange rate.

[quote name='Sarang01']Holy shit. DISNEY refused the rights to it?! Wow...I may have to buy the U.S. version(if it's $20 or under) just to spite Disney. On the other hand it's already out on Blu-ray out in Japan and will likely keep the best cover. Hmmm.[/quote]

Just as a note, it was directed by Hayao's son, Goro, who directed the somewhat lackluster "Tales From Earthsea". Hayao apparently did script it tho, so it might turn out alright. It apparently did well in Japan.

I don't know if Disney turned it down, or if GKids just values it more. Apparently they have been very aggressive in acquiring the rights to foreign language feature films.

Yeah, basically if it isn't out on Blu in Japan, it isn't going to be out in Blu in this country. Personally, I'm still waiting for Princess Mononoke.

[quote name='Sarang01']I disagree(about the covers, dislike dubbing) and here's the link for anyone interested in what the Japanese have on Blu-ray for Miyazaki-san.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/feature....&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=112221229&pf_rd_i=656746

Hopefully that comes out right. Apparently "Kiki's Delivery Service" came out at the beginning of December and one other movie also came out but I can't figure it out. Sadly it doesn't look like it's "Spirited Away".

Speaking of covers, I was looking to get the Japanese version of "Wall-E" over the American one. The cover is awesome!!!

Oh and those Blu's shouldn't be too expensive over the American one's. The exchange rate has gotten better, up to 94 Yen to the dollar. Also the Blurays are a little over $50 at Amazon given that exchange rate.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's the shipping that kills it. ~20 for one disc or 25 for two IIRC. I like the dubs for ghibli releases because I want to taking in the beautiful art, not reading.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Yeah it's the shipping that kills it. ~20 for one disc or 25 for two IIRC. I like the dubs for ghibli releases because I want to taking in the beautiful art, not reading.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I doubt Miyazaki envisioned those English actors speaking the parts or even had ANY say in their choice. $20 for ONE disc. This is why I hate Amazon.co.jp getting rid of the bulk shipping option. They're just trying to rip people off. How can they be so reasonable with Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.it but not .co.jp/ ?

[quote name='Sarang01']Somehow I doubt Miyazaki envisioned those English actors speaking the parts or even had ANY say in their choice. $20 for ONE disc. This is why I hate Amazon.co.jp getting rid of the bulk shipping option. They're just trying to rip people off. How can they be so reasonable with Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.it but not .co.jp/ ?[/QUOTE]

because they are run by different people.

[quote name='Sarang01']Apparently "Kiki's Delivery Service" came out at the beginning of December and one other movie also came out but I can't figure it out. [/QUOTE]

"Only Yesterday" - did they ever release that in the US? I think I had to import it on dvd: looks like I'll have to do the same for the blu.

Thanks for the heads up - didn't even know these were being released in Japan :)

[quote name='Sarang01']Holy shit. DISNEY refused the rights to it?! Wow...I may have to buy the U.S. version(if it's $20 or under) just to spite Disney. On the other hand it's already out on Blu-ray out in Japan and will likely keep the best cover. Hmmm.
Jeez gkrykewy, now I'm wishing I went to the Ghibli Museum the last time I was in Toukyou.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Disney refused it, but it's wholly possible. Considering the fact that it's about the war on the Japanese point of view, I wouldn't be surprised about Disney giving it the cold shoulder. They're an American company, and there's probably no room for this kind of animated film to make Disney even the slightest profit.

All the research I've done states that GKIDS has acquired the theatrical rights to the Ghibli collection, whereas Disney still has home video rights.

[quote name='DRV']All the research I've done states that GKIDS has acquired the theatrical rights to the Ghibli collection, whereas Disney still has home video rights.[/QUOTE]

GKIDS posted on their facebook page awhile back that they would be releasing poppy hill on DVD/BR in Fall 2013.

I own the majority of the US Ghibli releases on DVD and four of them on BluRay, including Grave of the Fireflies. I'll need to pick up the two I'm missing before these are released. Very excited, as Howls is one of my favorites.

[quote name='Earthworm401']Oh man, I don't think I'll be able to watch the movie without thinking about that now.[/QUOTE]

It seems pretty clearly to be a load of crap, like most conspiracy theories. You can find linkages between anything if you only look at the things that fit and ignore the things that don't.

Amazon trade-in values of DVD versions as of today's date:

Howl's Moving Castle (http://www.amazon.com/Howls-Moving-Castle-Jean-Simmons/dp/B000CDGVOE/): $8.50 new/sealed, $5.15 like new, $4.65 good
My Neighbor Totoro (http://www.amazon.com/My-Neighbor-Totoro-Hitoshi-Takagi/dp/B0001XAQ0A/) (older release): $10.18 new/sealed, $9.71 like new, $8.50 good
My Neighbor Totoro (http://www.amazon.com/My-Neighbor-Totoro-Mark-Henley/dp/B002ZTQV8Y/) (newer re-release): $8.50 new/sealed, $6.25 like new, $5.65 good

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Amazon trade-in values of DVD versions as of today's date:

Howl's Moving Castle (http://www.amazon.com/Howls-Moving-Castle-Jean-Simmons/dp/B000CDGVOE/): $8.50 new/sealed, $5.15 like new, $4.65 good
My Neighbor Totoro (http://www.amazon.com/My-Neighbor-Totoro-Hitoshi-Takagi/dp/B0001XAQ0A/) (older release): $10.18 new/sealed, $9.71 like new, $8.50 good
My Neighbor Totoro (http://www.amazon.com/My-Neighbor-Totoro-Mark-Henley/dp/B002ZTQV8Y/) (newer re-release): $8.50 new/sealed, $6.25 like new, $5.65 good[/QUOTE]

Pretty terrible. I'll just sell them myself on amazon or ebay as usual.

bread's done
Back