GS TIV/Promos: OLD THREAD, NEW ONE LISTED IN FIRST & LAST POST

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3635 replies to this topic

#2761 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Moral of the story: pick up your pre-orders and then return. Better for employees, and you get the pre-order bonus codes (if any).

Usually just better to change it to a game you want instead of picking up a game you dont want and returning it.

Cognitive Dissonance: Wanna join my Call of Duty 4 clan?
Me: Who are you?
Cognitive Dissonance: You ask too many questions. Never mind. You're out.

#2762 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Just to clarify, the flipping ban comment really refers to doing a same day flip vs. legitimately playing the game then trading it in to GS a month later. I don't see any issues with the latter scenario and I think GS wouldn't care much either. It's just a rare occurance that you can buy something and trade it in for more which opens up the same day/same store flip issue.

OK. Thanks. I bought it a few weeks ago and one of the employees looked like he wanted to flag me for pre-order returns, so I should keep it for a while.

What happens when these promotions end? I wanted to get into some of these, but I don't know if I should wait for the promotions to "consolidate" into a few better ones.

#2763 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

What happens when these promotions end? I wanted to get into some of these, but I don't know if I should wait for the promotions to "consolidate" into a few better ones.

It tends to vary--the day after promos end, sometimes a better promo starts, sometimes a similar one starts, sometimes the same one gets extended, and occasionally no new promos of value start. It's a risk, though, that much is certain.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Bulletstorm; MGS2 HD [Snake Tales]  :vita: Limbo; Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale; Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [6/25]: :vita: Mutant Mudds Deluxe (4.75/5)

Last Watched Film [7/4]: How to Train Your Dragon 2 (better than the first film)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#2764 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Big gamble on the games.

What are the chances that an employee will straight up tell me about the next promotion?

I thinking that the 30% bonus is like right in the middle of a range and I wouldn't want to miss the 50% if it happens.

#2765 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Big gamble on the games.

What are the chances that an employee will straight up tell me about the next promotion?

I thinking that the 30% bonus is like right in the middle of a range and I wouldn't want to miss the 50% if it happens.

Well, it depends on whether an employee would tell you, if that employee even knows what promos are upcoming. You would probably have a better chance asking a manager who recognizes you as a regular customer.

I also wouldn't want to trade in some games now if the 50% is coming back, so I'll give it a shot and ask at a local store this weekend if I get the chance.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Bulletstorm; MGS2 HD [Snake Tales]  :vita: Limbo; Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale; Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Last Watched Film [7/4]: How to Train Your Dragon 2 (better than the first film)

#2766 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Big gamble on the games.

AFAIK, there's no 50% going on anytime soon.

#2767 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Well, it depends on whether an employee would tell you, if that employee even knows what promos are upcoming. You would probably have a better chance asking a manager who recognizes you as a regular customer.

I also wouldn't want to trade in some games now if the 50% is coming back, so I'll give it a shot and ask at a local store this weekend if I get the chance.

I need to pick up some games and return a few, so I'll ask tomorrow if I get the chance.

I hope that someone answers my question. Three employees there should know me by now.

I'll report back here with my findings.

AFAIK, there's no 50% going on anytime soon.

No hype, huh?

#2768 AsstronautJones

AsstronautJones

bang bang what's the hang

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Anybody trade in DmC for the 360 lately?

536739.png

#2769 Ray5555

Ray5555

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

lol I would take the dlc and just cancel another day.

I've had random preorders tacked on a few times (as well as bullshit about "free" preorders) during my trades. Lucky for them I forgot to do the surveys in time. I do remember the people so I just have to make sure to cancel on the same person for their shady doings.

Do the preorders/cancellation/subscriptions directly affect employee hours (like the pos would dock them an hour a week for every cancellation) or are the store managers just not competent enough to figure out which employees actually know what they're doing and do it efficiently.

A shifty employee did that to me when BO2 was coming out. I did the trade in for + 30%-50%(I forget which since it has been a while) extra credit if applying towards a used game. I was going to to get a refurb psp, the protection plan, and keep the the other $50 credit. Well the guy wouldn't let me use the promo. Even on a legitimate trade for preowned games. The only way he would let it go through is if I put $5 down on a pre-order. Well I asked for his manager and he gave me the same bs. Even though there was a sign in the store advertising the pre-owned trade in special.So I called corporate and they said SOL.

A few days later I go in and take back my refurbished psp. It looked liked somebody melted the screen and there was a ton of dust undr the screen, as well as the screen wanting to pop out. There was a different guy, who was very nice. I ended up getting my money back and buying a new psp. I used up the rest of my credit buying it. Since the guy was nice. I made 15 preorders with the guy for upcoming releases.

I waited a few days until the first guy was working(the one that gave me the problems). I just dropped all 16 pre-orders I had there on him. Well he got ****ed, and tried telling me I couldn't do that. I then started to call corporate and he gave me my money back and cancelled all the pre-orders.

#2770 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

A shifty employee did that to me when BO2 was coming out. I did the trade in for + 30%-50%(I forget which since it has been a while) extra credit if applying towards a used game. I was going to to get a refurb psp, the protection plan, and keep the the other $50 credit. Well the guy wouldn't let me use the promo. Even on a legitimate trade for preowned games. The only way he would let it go through is if I put $5 down on a pre-order. Well I asked for his manager and he gave me the same bs. Even though there was a sign in the store advertising the pre-owned trade in special.So I called corporate and they said SOL.

A few days later I go in and take back my refurbished psp. It looked liked somebody melted the screen and there was a ton of dust undr the screen, as well as the screen wanting to pop out. There was a different guy, who was very nice. I ended up getting my money back and buying a new psp. I used up the rest of my credit buying it. Since the guy was nice. I made 15 preorders with the guy for upcoming releases.

I waited a few days until the first guy was working(the one that gave me the problems). I just dropped all 16 pre-orders I had there on him. Well he got ****ed, and tried telling me I couldn't do that. I then started to call corporate and he gave me my money back and cancelled all the pre-orders.

Considering the manager also gave you trouble, maybe you should have split the 16 preorders between them...? :lol:

Cloud_Squall78.png

#2771 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

So the employee who receives the order to cancel gets crap even when he's not the guy who got the pre-order done in the first place?

That's not right.

What happens when I return an online pre-order shipped to me to the store?

#2772 Ray5555

Ray5555

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

Considering the manager also gave you trouble, maybe you should have split the 16 preorders between them...? :lol:

I just didn't have the patience to wait for him to get back, so I decided to drop them all on the one employee. Although thinking about it now I should have done that. Oh well I only went there in the first place since it was close to my sister's work and I just moved, so it was a little more difficult to get to one.

#2773 Ray5555

Ray5555

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

So the employee who receives the order to cancel gets crap even when he's not the guy who got the pre-order done in the first place?

That's not right.

What happens when I return an online pre-order shipped to me to the store?

A person earlier in the thread said it doesn't affect the employee as that is considered a return and not a pre-order cancellation.

#2774 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

OK. I'm wondering why an employee tried to mask his reaction when I asked about what happens when I return pre-orders. Maybe he thought that it was the same as a cancellation on his account.

#2775 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

You know, Gamestop employees (not all, but some) most be pretty stupid to force pre-orders on people. If I saw that someone put a pre-order for me with my credit that I did not want, I would go back to the store and make sure to cancel it with that person. Which I'm sure most others would do to. But just for using my money for their own personal gain, I'll buy a cheap .99 game and go to town on the survey. Honestly, the nerve that employees actually do that.

I'm too kind to do that but if someone does do that to me, I might just. To the guy who lied to me about cancelling my pre-order has to be at the store I made it, I'm going to either cancel it on him the next time I go in or just go to the store down the street. I don't want to hurt the store I use to work at and I guess I understand why he lied but still.

#2776 Stimes

Stimes

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

:360:Injustice $26 base (phone quote)

#2777 mb7241

mb7241

Blasted Machines!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Two that I did today:

Xbox 360:

NCAA Football 13 = $13
NBA 2K13 = $15

After my PowerUp Rewards Pro membership, and after trading them in towards pre-owned games (some 20% bonus or something), I ended up getting something like $37 in trade credit. I put them to good use, too: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World (Wii) and Phantasy Star Universe (Xbox 360), and kept the $9.xx difference on my card.
NES games cheaper than a lowball :P ! Check this link:
http://blastedmachines.com

My top wants? See them here:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=316791

I don't always visit CAG...but when I do, I win your lowballs. Stay thirsty, my friends :) .

#2778 lBleachl

lBleachl

No, not Clorox.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

4/25

:ps3:
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - $12
Assassin's Creed Revelations - $4

#2779 io

io

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

I'm going to try trading another iPhone 4 in today. Even if they grade it "good" it is $174 + $70 bonus. That is about what I could get for it on eBay before shipping/fees (and hopefully I can swing the Like New price of $194). So it seems worth it to avoid the potential hassle. I still have the credit from the last one I did (which was $174 + 50% bonus). But I figure I can use all that credit on the new systems this Fall so it is nearly as good as cash in this case, especially if I can get preorders in for them and don't have to worry about tracking them down. On the other hand, then I am locked into getting them at GS...

FYI, Gazelle offers $150 for it, which is just about what GS's cash price is. If the $70 bonus applied to the cash price I'd probably take that but I'm sure (as always with GS promos) that it doesn't.

#2780 phoenixlau

phoenixlau

backlogged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

4/25 (base)

:360: Borderlands GOTY - $7
:ps3: Borderlands GOTY - $7 (quote)
:ps3: Inversion - $6

#2781 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

:360:Injustice $26 base (phone quote)

Damn really I call earlier this monrign and they say $30

#2782 diddy310

diddy310

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

:ps3: Injustice: Gods Among Us - 26 base (got 36.40 with the promo + PUR)

My local store was handing out a printout with the TIV + 40 percent so here's a bunch of base TIV updates after I took the 40 percent off...

:360:
Army of Two: Devil's Cartel - 18
Assassin's Creed - 5
Assassin's Creed 2 - 5
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - 5
Assassin's Creed Revelations - 4
Assassin's Creed 3 - 10
Batman: Arkham City - 6
Battlefield 3 - 5
Bioshock Infinite - 22
Borderlands 2 - 13
Call of Duty 4 - 2.50
Call of Duty: Black Ops - 7
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - 20
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 4
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 5
Call of Duty: World At War - 4
Crysis 3 - 15
Dead Island - 6
Dead Space 3 - 15
Dishonored - 15
Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim - 15
Fable 3 - 2
Fallout: New Vegas - 3
Far Cry 3 - 10
Forza 4: Essentials Collection - 7.50
Gears of War - 1.50
Gears of War 2 - 1
Gears of War 3 - 4
Gears of War: Judgment - 20
Halo 3 - 2
Halo 4 - 12
Halo Reach - 5
Hitman Absolution - 11
Kinect Adventures - 2 cents
Left 4 Dead 2 - 16
Madden NFL 2012 - 3
Madden NFL 2013 - 13
Mass Effect 3 - 5
Max Payne 3 - 7
NBA 2K12 - 7
NBA 2K13 - 15
NCAA Football 2013 - 13
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012) 18-
Red Dead Redemption - 7
Resident Evil 6 - 8
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier - 5
Tomb Raider - 15
Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - 17

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed 3 - 10
Batman: Arkham City - 6
Battlefield 3 - 5
Bioshock Infinite - 22
Borderlands 2 - 13
Call of Duty: Black Ops - 5
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - 20
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 1.75
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 5
Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim - 15
Far Cry 3 - 10
God of War 3 - 5
God of War Ascension - 20
Madden NFL 2012 - 2
Madden NFL 2013 - 13
NBA 2K12 - 5
NBA 2K13 - 15
Resident Evil 6 - 8
Uncharted 2 - 2
Uncharted 3 - 5

:wii:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 20
Wii Sports - 5

#2783 nixmahn

nixmahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

My local store was handing out a printout with the TIV + 40 percent so here's a bunch of base TIV updates after I took the 40 percent off...

:wii:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 20

I am still shitting in my pants at this

#2784 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

^Sale or not there should be no world where Survival Instinct trades for more than Tomb Raider.

#2785 DemonsMaster

DemonsMaster

Jrpg Addicts Anonymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

Base TIV 4/25

:3ds: 3DS

Original 3DS System - $50
3DS Charging Dock - $.25

Got $80.27 after promos not bad!

We can learn as much, if not more, from bad games as we can from good ones.

That's my justification and I'm sticking to it.

#2786 Vulgarism

Vulgarism

A living, breathing piece of defecating meat.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

You know, Gamestop employees (not all, but some) most be pretty stupid to force pre-orders on people. If I saw that someone put a pre-order for me with my credit that I did not want, I would go back to the store and make sure to cancel it with that person. Which I'm sure most others would do to. But just for using my money for their own personal gain, I'll buy a cheap .99 game and go to town on the survey. Honestly, the nerve that employees actually do that.

I'm too kind to do that but if someone does do that to me, I might just. To the guy who lied to me about cancelling my pre-order has to be at the store I made it, I'm going to either cancel it on him the next time I go in or just go to the store down the street. I don't want to hurt the store I use to work at and I guess I understand why he lied but still.

Sorry to everybody with continuing the off topic rants, but as a GS employee myself, I might just give that customer the DM's number if I saw somebody doing that. I don't want to sell out somebody in the same company as me, but there is a reason why people don't appreciate GameStop--there are a lot of employees who know that they must "make sales." Glowing reviews do help out, but in the end, the numbers matter most.

Don't let somebody pressure you into buying anything you don't want. If you're interested in a game, put the $5 down. Sure, it sucks as an employee getting that negative mark down the road, but there are some pretty decent pre-order bonuses (Ni No Kuni steel, anybody?) I just don't understand destroying any report you have with a customer because you are trying to hard to force something down their throats. I was working at a mall store during the holidays, which we focused less on pre-orders, but being there today would be hell... The ratio of mallrats versus common customers is terrifying, and yet two of the employees make their numbers because they push. I'd rather have somebody new to shoot the shit with on a slow day than somebody who avoids our store because we try too hard.

#2787 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

The 40% is them adding the 30%+10%?

Sorry to everybody with continuing the off topic rants, but as a GS employee myself

You could have answered some questions while you were here. :cry:

#2788 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

You could have answered some questions while you were here. :cry:

I am currently a GS employee, and I've been answering your questions. Not sure what you were referring to. I usually try to answer most questions, if not all on this thread.

#2789 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

You answered my question about the next promotion not being 50%. Thanks. I was hoping to get more information about the promotion from another person.

#2790 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

You do have to go to the store you made your preorder at to cancel it. If you go to a different GS, they won't see any of your preorders.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png