CAGcast #315: PS4 and So Much More!

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Fresh off the Sony event, the CAGcast crew talks PS4, January NPDs, and so much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download (1 hour 27 minutes) - Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Never Say Die (Iron Eagle) - Sony/Onion

Show Notes

0:00 PS4 announcement
2:45 Killzone
4:30 New controller
8:15 Media Molecule (?)
$- bouncing around on PS4/PS Plus topics -
31:00 The Witness
33:15 David Cage
34:00 Deep Down (Dragon's Dogma 2)
35:45 Square-Enix Old Man demo
37:00 Watchdogs
40:00 Diablo III on PS3/PS4
47:00 Destiny
51:30 Show Feedback
51:30 $ - Backwards compatibility
53:15 Watch This: Skyfall (comparisons to Dark Knight)
57:30 $ - History of the Eagles
59:30 New Releases
59:30 $ - Crysis 3
59:45 $ - MGS: Revengeance
1:01:00 - Capcom Arcade Collection
1:02:30 - Serious Sam DDXL
1:03:00 - Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection
1:06:30 March of the Eagles
1:07:00 January NPD's - WiiU and Vita
1:16:00 Vita TrialsHD clone
1:17:00 PS4 bundled with headset, sixaxis, lightbar, controller details
1:21:15 Harmonix stopping DLC for Rock Band 3

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Edited by shipwreck, 22 February 2013 - 03:43 AM.

#2 Exton

Exton

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Playstation 4 announcement episode!!! Preorder please take mah monies.

#3 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

I wonder if you guys are as underwhelmed as everybody else after Sony's event. I thought the whole PS4 reveal was okay, even when the whole thing didn't blew my mind.

Anyways, thanks for uploading this. Now I have something new to listen to before falling asleep.

#4 EJam3s01

EJam3s01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

I think Killzone Shadow Fall had a little bit of sliding along some rail things like in upcoming Bioshock Infinite, though I didn't notice if you could actually do stuff while sliding since my connection wasn't great during that part. I liked the event, infamous was the best looking game to me. Excited to see other titles coming.

#5 just-joe

just-joe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I'm rather indifferent about the PS4, the only game I'm interested in is Infamous other than that...meh. I don't really care social aspects, as I doubt I would ever use it. I also tend to take a lot of what Sony says with a grain of salt. This is the same guys who said the PS2's graphic would be on par with Toy Story. Sadly as of now, investors don't seem happy either.

http://phys.org/news...tation_1_2.html

fs.png

#6 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I liked the presentation and announcement of the PS4. Not everything they showed was for me, as per usual, but looks like it is only going to get more interesting as time moves on. The real info I want of course is how much it costs.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#7 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I was sick of the presentation in the first 5 minutes. It just seems that the PS4 is just trying to social media the Wii U. I was very pissed with Square Enix's bragging that the PS4 architecture could allow them to make better Final Fantasy games. What ever happened to the FFXIII project? Oh right it got abandoned.
I don't deny that the games are easily graphically awesome, but it just served to further my appreciation for PCs and expensive graphics cards. When you compare it to increasing powerful handheld devices, that gap isn't as big as it was back in the PS3 days, much less the PS2.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#8 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

The whole PS4 conference was good with some hilarious presenters. The hardware reveals and features were great including the suspend/resume function and the RAM. In any case, I'm excited for the new stuff.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#9 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Anybody noticed that pausing a game on the PS4 and to resume later was also done on the PSP Go?

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#10 mwmike11

mwmike11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Great show, as usual, fellas. Meant to ask in the CAGbag, and squandered away my question on something you already were planning on talking about, silly me.

I know it's REALLY early, but any predictions about price, pack-in games, and titles that will, for sure, launch day one? Personally, I'm more interested in hearing your thoughts on what you think the price will be. Sadly, I see it starting out at $400-500...

#11 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Great show, as usual, fellas. Meant to ask in the CAGbag, and squandered away my question on something you already were planning on talking about, silly me.

I know it's REALLY early, but any predictions about price, pack-in games, and titles that will, for sure, launch day one? Personally, I'm more interested in hearing your thoughts on what you think the price will be. Sadly, I see it starting out at $400-500...

Too early to say without more specs like harddrive size. I think $399 is the lowest it could possibly be and I'd say $499 is more likely.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#12 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Sony Conference was kind of disappointing. They confirmed mostly what was already known, and the game that got people most excited was a PC game from last E3.

Looking forward to listening to the CAGcast today. Thanks Cheapy, Shipwreck and Wombat!
"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#13 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Perfect timing right after the event! Can't wait to listen!

P.S. I was disappointed by the conference. Not showing a picture of your console at all is ridiculous.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#14 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

More info is leaking out the morning after the event than was revealed during the event itself. LOL

PSN games won't carry over.

PS4 will let you play used games.

There might need to be an asterisk next to the "yes you can play used games" answer though. The Sony rep would NOT say yes to "will PS4 stop me from selling/buying used games".

What he did say yes to was "PS4 will play used games".

There is a big difference in those two questions.

Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#15 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Wow no PS3 compatibility and no PSN compatibility with the current system. That's a huge negative. So they are either going to have streaming of old games for the gaikai system for a yearly fee then or charge you to buy each game again?

All the multi player, sharing, and head set stuff looks amazing. I just need to know the pricing and release dates!

#16 oregonjon

oregonjon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Cheapy, thanks for your valiant attempt to shut Wombat up about the Eagles documentary. When he started, I let out an audible groan on the subway.

#17 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

PlayStation 4: It Only Does Elderly

#18 faceturd

faceturd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Besides the flood of news stories... CAGcast is the only gaming podcast out today talking PS4 stuff that I subscribe to (nothin from giant bomb, Rebel FM, Weekend Confirmed...). Tip o' the hat to you semi-informed entertainers for educating my ear holes.

#19 oregonjon

oregonjon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Besides the flood of news stories... CAGcast is the only gaming podcast out today talking PS4 stuff that I subscribe to (nothin from giant bomb, Rebel FM, Weekend Confirmed...). Tip o' the hat to you semi-informed entertainers for educating my ear holes.

Yo man, you should check out my show. We posted our reactions this morning: Fantastic Neighborhood 53: ZOMG, THEY’RE CALLING IT ORBIS!

#20 zerocool397

zerocool397

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

The problem with D3 was that the game was sort of dumbed down for the hardcore audience. I wasn't really sold on D3 because I felt the genre was sort of played out because I played MMOs during the 10 year wait until Diablo 3, so the idea of farming a dungeon to get loot that doesn't have a bigger world felt even more pointless.

However, a game like Path of Exile is probably going to hook the core audience a little more because there are so many options when creating a character, the loot is itemized much better than D3, and there is a better mutliplayer features such as various different ladders and PVP.

I think Blizzard's next game codenamed Titan could end up on consoles and hopefully we will see something about that later this year.

#21 KingWulfgar

KingWulfgar

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Cheapy, I don't know what's wrong with your Xbox, but mine boots in like 15-20 seconds and I'm logged into Xbox Live and ready to play about another 10 seconds after that. Maybe it's because I don't have many apps installed, but I definitely don't wait an entire minute just for my Xbox to turn on.

#22 Kegley

Kegley

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm pretty shocked so many people are down on this announcement. I'm not a fanboy either way as I have owned at one point all of the consoles (yes, even Wii U), but I think IF Sony can keep their promises this generation they will have a better chance this generation at succeeding. This isn't E3, so I don't get why so many people feel let down from this event. Either way, I'm excited. I am one of the few who has enough bandwidth to be able to actually stream games, so if they can really pull that feature off I will be very pleased.

#23 chuckm79

chuckm79

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Another great podcast. I also really enjoyed all of the tweets yesterday.

As someone who has poor download bandwidth at home and horrible upload bandwidth (DSL), I don't understand how any of these PS4 streaming features are going to work well.

Also, Cheapy, my Xbox 360 boots in probably 20 seconds. 1 minute sounds pretty bad.

#24 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Cheapy, I don't know what's wrong with your Xbox, but mine boots in like 15-20 seconds and I'm logged into Xbox Live and ready to play about another 10 seconds after that. Maybe it's because I don't have many apps installed, but I definitely don't wait an entire minute just for my Xbox to turn on.

Mine is pretty quick too, but I know other people that have complained of startup being around a minute or longer. Cheapy is not the only one experiencing this.

Cheapy, in the interest of science maybe you could delete all your 360 apps and then try starting it up.

If you don't see any benefit, try deleting all your friends off of XBL.

Your experimentation will greatly benefit all of CAGkind. Thanks in advance. :)
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#25 raistlin

raistlin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I realize you guys don't pride yourselves on being professionals or anything, but you really stooped to a new low on this episode. Cheapy/Shipwreck, it wouldn't have killed you to watch the event after the fact before recording this. What's the point in even having Shipwreck on the show if you're still going to stumble through trying to figure out what you're talking about? This ep was flat out embarrassing, sorry.

Wombat, you're excused because you have two kids and a full-time job.

#26 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Everything you need to know about the PS4 reveal in 3 minutes: YOUTUBE

Do you guys think Sony made this announcement now instead of waiting until (1. @ E3 or 2. after Microsoft revealed xbox 1080) in order to utterly kill WiiU sales in 'tit for tat' fashion after Nintendo cut the price of the 3DS the same week that the PS Vita was released?

Edited by BetaDemo, 21 February 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#27 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I realize you guys don't pride yourselves on being professionals or anything, but you really stooped to a new low on this episode. Cheapy/Shipwreck, it wouldn't have killed you to watch the event after the fact before recording this. What's the point in even having Shipwreck on the show if you're still going to stumble through trying to figure out what you're talking about? This ep was flat out embarrassing, sorry.

Wombat, you're excused because you have two kids and a full-time job.

The episode was fine. We've stooped much lower in the past.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#28 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

I disagree entirely. They got the gist of all the major stuff that was announced and presented some reasonable opinions without being overly dismissive and snarky for the sake of it. Which is more than can be said for some professional sites, e.g. Polygon.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#29 raistlin

raistlin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

The episode was fine. We've stooped much lower in the past.

After some more thought on this, I realize it's really my fault not yours. My expectations are always entirely too high for important events generally speaking.

I listen to the show because you guys aren't pretentious, and you don't act like working stiffs in the biz. That being said, I always hope for a little more. Seems I can't have the best of both worlds, as much as I'd like to.
It's not like you guys get paid to do this, so whatever.

#30 cereal_killerxx

cereal_killerxx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

I laughed so hard when Cheapy went to mention the Go Daddy codes and then just said "Fuck it, you guys already know them." XD