3 replies to this topic

#1 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend is going back to school.

She thinks that being able to record (audio) her lecturers would help her study. I've never used an audio recorder before so I'm not sure what to look for. Also I'm guessing it is good form to make sure that the teacher/professor is okay with having the classes recorded first?

Money isn't really an issue but of course I'd rather not over spend. I'm going to assume that people no longer use the recorders with the mini cassettes so my best bet would be to buy a digital voice recorder. Correct?

I saw this on Amazon for less then $50. I could get a 16GB micro SD card for another $10-$15.

http://www.amazon.co... voice recorder

^ Would this fit her needs? Does anyone have other suggestions?

I'm most concerned about audio quality and ease of use. I think she is capable of being able to use the software to organize the recordings by class/date on her laptop.

Lastly how does one go about recording a lecture? Should they record from their seat or just leave the recorder in the front of the class?

Thanks for any insight!

#2 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

I don't know how the laws are nationwide but I'm almost positive you need to have the persons consent. You can always ask the professor beforehand and ask if it's ok but that kind of puts you out there. She can always hide it in the purse or in her backpack if she really wanted to be sneaky about it.

#3 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I don't know how the laws are nationwide but I'm almost positive you need to have the persons consent. You can always ask the professor beforehand and ask if it's ok but that kind of puts you out there. She can always hide it in the purse or in her backpack if she really wanted to be sneaky about it.

She mentioned that her professor permits recording; at least the one that instructs the class she is most concerned about.

I never recorded a class in my life. I had textbook teachers so everything came out of the book and lectures weren't all that important but if she think it'll help it'll be money well spent.

Now I'm just hoping to get input regarding what features I should be looking for.

#4 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

I would look into Olympus for digital audio recorders, as they've been making them for years and they're pretty good as a whole. They have a unit around the price of the Sony unit you listed, though there's other ones at a higher price range.

Product page for reference:
http://www.getolympu...recorders-audio