Mowing (the Backlog) March

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I'll try to fix issues to the best of my ability.
The rules are very simple.
1) Find two games in your backlog that you wish to play during March.
2) In the poll, vote on whatever game(s) are currently in your backlog.
3) On March 1st, whatever three games get the most votes will be the three games that we will play during the month. If you do not own one of the games that wins, don't worry. Do not feel obligated to buy the game, instead play a similar game that you DO own.
4) Play the games and comment on them in the forum!

Community game: Borderlands 2

Poll:
Ignore the poll! I found out that you cannot post edit.
Post your votes instead in thread and I will update the OP with the votes. Please notify which two games you are adding. Please do not add your votes by yourself.

Poll:
Borderlands 2 (aShufflinZombie): 5
Mafia II (aShufflinZombie): 2
Penny Arcade 1/2 (slofton): 2
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without A Pulse (Broken Cage): 1
Legend of Grimrock (Broken Cage): 4
Amnesia (slofton): 3
F.E.A.R. (Jugglenaut): 1
Cargo! A Quest for Gravity (Jugglenaut): 1
Batman: Arkham City (Junpei): 1
Mark of the Ninja (Junpei): 2
Darksiders (MrshllJcb): 1
Dead Island (viiral): 1
Bioshock 1/2 (viiral): 2
Hitman: Blood Money (red flar grafe): 1
Metro 2033 (red flar grafe): 1
To the Moon (Dr Sasquatch) 1
Total War: Rome (Dr Sasquatch) 1

SLofton Amnesia, Closure, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Penny Arcade 1+2 (bonus)
MrshllJcb Tomb Raider, Amnesia, Cave Story+, Legend of Grimrock, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Syndicate (coop), Sniper Elite V2 Nazi Zombie Army (coop)

Dr Sasquatch Eversion, Sam & Max 101: Culture Shock, Wizorb, Borderlands 2 (community game), Legend of Grimrock (Bonus game)
Jugglenaut Mark of the Ninja, Cargo! The Quest for Gravity, Max Payne, Borderlands 2 (community game), Zeno Clash (Bonus game)

aShufflinZombie Borderlands 2 (community game), Bully: Scholarship Edition, Far Cry 3, Shank 2
Junpei Legend of Grimrock (2nd community game), Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Batman: Arkham City, Portal 2

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slofton']Borderlands 2
Penny Arcade 1/2[/QUOTE]

Done. I think that I may have been unclear but I meant to say add 2 games and say which you own from the pre-existing list.

I don't own any of those games on the PC, but I own Borderlands 2 and Mafia 2 for the 360, and Penny Arcade 1/2 for the PS3, so I think I can still tag along in those games even if I can't play along in game.

It's tough for me to pick just two PC games, but I guess I'd choose...

Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without A Pulse
Legend of Grimrock

I know not a lot of people will have Stubbs, but it seems like such a left-field type of game that I think it'd make an excellent talking point.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Done. I think that I may have been unclear but I meant to say add 2 games and say which you own from the pre-existing list.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. I own BL2 on 360. No Mafia 2

Is Borderlands 2 REALLY in people's backlogs? Unless you got it from a Gamersgate price mistake then most likely people paid $30+ for it. I know people backlog bundle games and 75% off bargain basement sale games all the time but are people really in the habit of backlogging games they paid decent money for?

Anyway I don't own Borderlands 2 and I'm not going to pay $20-$30 or more to get some game to play for the game of the month.

I think new big hot titles really aren't the point of getting through your backlog unless people are really buying new titles shortly after release and dumping them straight into the backlog.

[quote name='Motoki']Is Borderlands 2 REALLY in people's backlogs? Unless you got it from a Gamersgate price mistake then most likely people paid $30+ for it. I know people backlog bundle games and 75% off bargain basement sale games all the time but are people really in the habit of backlogging games they paid decent money for?

Anyway I don't own Borderlands 2 and I'm not going to pay $20-$30 or more to get some game to play for the game of the month.

I think new big hot titles really aren't the point of getting through your backlog unless people are really buying new titles shortly after release and dumping them straight into the backlog.[/QUOTE]

GF got it as a Xmas gift and this is one of the first times I've gotten around to it. So yeah. It's in my backlog.

Okay fair enough but another thing is if we are going to pick a game to discuss, while I'm not saying it needs to be the most obscure game ever, I would think it might be nice to pick something that isn't already a hot new buzzworthy game that's being talked about by lots of people lots of places elsewhere already including here at CAG.

Anyway, I don't want to rain on anyone else's parade. Clearly I'm not the type of gamer this seems to be getting geared to so I'll let you guys do your game of the month with Borderlands 2 and have fun with it.

[quote name='Motoki']Okay fair enough but another thing is if we are going to pick a game to discuss, while I'm not saying it needs to be the most obscure game ever, I would think it might be nice to pick something that isn't already a hot new buzzworthy game that's being talked about by lots of people lots of places elsewhere already including here at CAG.

Anyway, I don't want to rain on anyone else's parade. Clearly I'm not the type of gamer this seems to be getting geared to so I'll let you guys do your game of the month with Borderlands 2 and have fun with it.[/QUOTE]

Although im not a fan of the way it was put, now that I think about it, im in agreement.

I'd like to change my BL2 to Amnesia. Its been in a few bundles and on sale quite a bit. Plus it the best way for me to play it and stick with it without quitting due to fright lol It'd be a fun game to talk about too.

Awesome way to handle this. Here's my two games I'd love for us to play:
F.E.A.R.
Cargo! A Quest for Gravity

I figure F.E.A.R. is a good triple AAA that might still be in people's backlogs. Then Cargo is a good indie game.

Of the games listed before, here's what I own/have backlogged:
Penny Arcade 2 (already beat 1)
Legend of Grimrock
Amnesia

I do still have Borderlands 2 backlogged, but I'm trying to keep that co-op only and my co-op buddies and I have been way to busy to finish it. And I agree with Motoki that it wouldn't be the best game for this.

I want to give my Xbox some love, so for March I choose:
- Batman: Arkham City
- Mark of the Ninja
They're both on PC too, but I want to play them on the comfy couch ;)

Thinking about it, I liked the pairings we organized during February a lot, in a nice "dude, you should totally play THAT!" sort of way. This method, however, seems perfect to choose the game most of us will be playing and commenting at the same time, so I was wondering if both ideas could be used for Mowing March: a poll to decide the game of the month, so to speak, and pairings in which partners will suggest another 3 games (minimum) to crunch on each other's backlogs :)

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I figure F.E.A.R. is a good triple AAA that might still be in people's backlogs.[/QUOTE]

You ain't just whistlin' dixie. I own F.E.A.R. on the 360 and the PC, and I've only made it half way on both platforms. Something about the game just always makes me put it on the backburner for another title.

I liked what Junpei said about having the 1 or 2 community games and then having a selection of 3 or 4 games picked by a partner.

For March my suggestions for community games are:
Amnesia:TDD
Darksiders

From the list in the OP I have:
Borderlands 2
Legends of Grimlock
and I have beat Mafia 2, Bioshock, and Bioshock 2

My picks are:

Sonic Generations on Steam (Time Attacks and 30-Second Trials)
Dungeon Defenders

I own Borderlands 2 from the list. Not exactly my backlog, but I haven't beaten it yet either, so I'm game.

My picks are:

Hitman: Blood Money
Metro 2033

I own Borderlands 2 from the list. Not exactly in my backlog, but I haven't beaten it yet, so I'm game!

[quote name='Junpei']I want to give my Xbox some love, so for March I choose:
- Batman: Arkham City
- Mark of the Ninja
They're both on PC too, but I want to play them on the comfy couch ;)

Thinking about it, I liked the pairings we organized during February a lot, in a nice "dude, you should totally play THAT!" sort of way. This method, however, seems perfect to choose the game most of us will be playing and commenting at the same time, so I was wondering if both ideas could be used for Mowing March: a poll to decide the game of the month, so to speak, and pairings in which partners will suggest another 3 games (minimum) to crunch on each other's backlogs :)[/QUOTE]

I like this a lot. It gives us all at least one game to talk about and also the fun of picking games for each other.

I like Junpei's idea so I'll probably add that to the OP in the next day or so. Motoki, I'm sorry that you don't like the idea. I understand that you don't want to miss out or spend $20+ on a game but I feel that if we all play a single game, it may bring the PC CAGers together. My goal is to help everyone get through their backlogs as well as finding a sense of community.

To the Moon
Total War: Rome

I own all of those except Stubbs (which I thought I had for XBox, but i cannot find). Already beaten Mafia II, Mark of the Ninja, and Bioshock 1, though Mark of the Ninja and Bioshock were both recent, and I was thinking of trying to do a no kills new game+ run through of Mark of the Ninja (or something challenging -- kill everyone? get sniffed by all the dogs?) so I can call it a Master Run on backloggery.

How about one alternate instead of three additional games. I wouldn't have been able to do four in february, and I certainly won't be able to do it every month. I just don't have the time.

One game for everyone, one game chosen by a partner. Two games a month. Keep in mind some games can be upwards of fifteen to twenty hours, and that would be the majority of my gaming time for the month.

(And don't go by my Steam Card, I frequently leave games running on the PC while I do stuff around the house.)

So March is like 2 days away. Should we start to pair up? If so let me know if anyone is interested in partnering up up. Also we should try to get a definitive answer on what the community games will be for the month. It'd be nice to have all this stuff ironed out by tomorrow so we are all set for the 1st of March

[quote name='MrshllJcb']So March is like 2 days away. Should we start to pair up? If so let me know if anyone is interested in partnering up up. Also we should try to get a definitive answer on what the community games will be for the month. It'd be nice to have all this stuff ironed out by tomorrow so we are all set for the 1st of March[/QUOTE]

I'd be down for teaming up.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/steeviedanger/

Beat Bioshock 1, Portal 1/2, Bastion, Mass Effect 1/2, Shank 1, VVVVVVV.

Looks like we both need Amnesia. If that'a not the community game, want to do that one?

[quote name='slofton']I'd be down for teaming up.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/steeviedanger/

Beat Bioshock 1, Portal 1/2, Bastion, Mass Effect 1/2, Shank 1, VVVVVVV.

Looks like we both need Amnesia. If that'a not the community game, want to do that one?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good plan. And yup on Amnesia if it isnt picked. I'll make a list of my backlog for you and send you a pm with it

[quote name='Broken Cage']How about one alternate instead of three additional games. I wouldn't have been able to do four in february, and I certainly won't be able to do it every month. I just don't have the time.[/QUOTE]

This is not a fixed rule at all... the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" :lol:

Since we'll be paired up, we have also the freedom to suggest what are the games our partner can choose from, as well as how many and how long each one should be. So perhaps I want to play six shorter games, or another longer one along with what the community votes, or maybe even a single game that's not the community one since I don't own it and neither plan to buy 'cause it's too expensive or doesn't suit my tastes... I can also choose my own game(s) without pairing with someone, as I think the whole point of the thread is dwindling the backlogs while discussing our experiences :)

Speaking of which, did we ever reach an agreement about the "game diary" thing we were discussing in last thread? Should we address the matter further through March while keeping our backlog-crunching reports here?

[quote name='Junpei']? Should we address the matter further through March while keeping our backlog-crunching reports here?[/QUOTE]

This seems like the best bet. I'm also thinking of having everyone send in the back logs to me. I can cross reference everyones BL and find out whats the most owned and unplayed games. We can then vote on the top 10 for the one community game. This of course wouldnt take place until April. I'd need some time to set it up lol

[quote name='slofton']This seems like the best bet. I'm also thinking of having everyone send in the back logs to me. I can cross reference everyones BL and find out whats the most owned and unplayed games. We can then vote on the top 10 for the one community game. This of course wouldnt take place until April. I'd need some time to set it up lol[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, in the meantime do you wanna pair up for March? :)
I'll arrange a list of games I'd like to play on Xbox (yeah, I decided it will be console-month for me :D), with the exception of the community game if I happen to own it. But, if you spot a game on my Steam library that I haven't touched yet (and, believe me, there are LOTS) and you believe I should play absolutely, then by no means do tell me! ;)

[quote name='Junpei']Sounds good, in the meantime do you wanna pair up for March? :)
I'll arrange a list of games I'd like to play on Xbox (yeah, I decided it will be console-month for me :D), with the exception of the community game if I happen to own it. But, if you spot a game on my Steam library that I haven't touched yet (and, believe me, there are LOTS) and you believe I should play absolutely, then by no means do tell me! ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm already paired up, but I'd be more than happy to suggest games

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I'm really confused as to what the concept is this month, but I am down and down to be paired up.[/QUOTE]

I think there is gonna be a vote for a game that everyone (who can) plays the same game at the same time. I think we are also still pairing up too, and picking games for another person.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']I think there is gonna be a vote for a game that everyone (who can) plays the same game at the same time. I think we are also still pairing up too, and picking games for another person.[/QUOTE]

Yes that's the plan. If people want something different I can work with you guys!

MrshllJcb and I have paired up. I'll be playing:

Metro 2033 (switch with Amnesia if its not picked for community)
Closure
Penny Arcade 1+2 as bonus

MrshllJcb:
Tomb Raider
Condemned (Amnesia if its not picked)
Cave Story
Legend of Grimrock

I still need a partner if anyone wants to join up.

Here's my official vote:

Borderlands 2 (aShufflinZombie): 5
Mafia II (aShufflinZombie): 2
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without A Pulse (Broken Cage): 1
Legend of Grimrock (Broken Cage): 4
Amnesia (slofton): 3
F.E.A.R. (Jugglenaut): 1
Cargo! A Quest for Gravity (Jugglenaut): 1
Batman: Arkham City (Junpei): 1
Mark of the Ninja (Junpei): 2
Darksiders (MrshllJcb): 1
Dead Island (viiral): 1
Bioshock 1/2 (viiral): 2
Hitman: Blood Money (red flar grafe): 1
Metro 2033 (red flar grafe): 1
To the Moon (Dr Sasquatch) 1
Total War: Rome (Dr Sasquatch) 1

I am ashamed to say I own and have backlogged everything listed except the Penny Arcade.

My additions are:

Cryostasis
Necrovision

Some FPS action that lost of people should have from bundles.

Add me for Borderlands 2. http://steamcommunity.com/id/redflaregraf/

Would it be better if we assigned people to groups of 4? Or just play with whoever's online? We definitely need to do multiplayer to make the best of the game.. Kind of weird for a backlog, but it's what was picked. And the more, the merrier, because weapon drops with 4 people are pretty boss.

[quote name='red flare graf']Add me for Borderlands 2. http://steamcommunity.com/id/redflaregraf/

Would it be better if we assigned people to groups of 4? Or just play with whoever's online? We definitely need to do multiplayer to make the best of the game.. Kind of weird for a backlog, but it's what was picked. And the more, the merrier, because weapon drops with 4 people are pretty boss.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I kinda wish it wasnt B2. I have it, and have been putting a bit of time into it here and there coop with my friends but its not something i wanna be trying to push through. Also are you guys starting up new characters to play? I'd much rather play with some people on here than go at it alone, but its a much better experience when everyone is about the same level

[quote name='red flare graf']Add me for Borderlands 2. http://steamcommunity.com/id/redflaregraf/[/QUOTE]

I added you, just not for Borderlands 2 since I do not own it (still neck-deep into 1st one, with little desire to carry on for now) :)

I guess the second most voted should be fine, then... I'm almost at the end of an hardcore run in Grimrock, but I got lost while exploring 7th level since I did not drew my map correctly, so I'll try to retrace my steps and start again. March will be fun! :cool:

I started playing Grimrock, and its pretty fuckin good. Was about to say I've only played about an hour, but I see it was actually 3 hours. I was kinda dreading it, but it is actually really enjoyable

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Who still needs a partner?

My backlog is here: http://www.backloggery.com/drsasquatch[/QUOTE]

I'll pair up with you, Sasquatch. How many games do you want me to pick. Three? You already have my backloggery linked in your multitap.

Here's three to start (I'm assuming you're doing Borderlands 2)
Eversion - nice short platformer, but a lot of fun. Took me 3 or 4 hours to 100% it.
Sam & Max 101: Culture Shock - I loved all of the Sam & Max Episodes, and you haven't played any of them. I almost want you to start with season 3, which I thought was the best, but the jokes build from season to season, so you can appreciate them more if you start at the beginning.
Wizorb - just to put something different.

Bonus: Watch Indie Game: The Movie. Then watch it again with Team Meat commentary. It's great.

Because of Borderlands 2's possible inclusion, I tried to keep my choices short, in case you've barely started B2. If you aren't planning to put that one in, I'd suggest Star Wars: Kotor. It's a great RPG, would be a good time sink.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I'll pair up with you, Sasquatch. How many games do you want me to pick. Three? You already have my backloggery linked in your multitap.

Here's three to start (I'm assuming you're doing Borderlands 2)
Eversion - nice short platformer, but a lot of fun. Took me 3 or 4 hours to 100% it.
Sam & Max 101: Culture Shock - I loved all of the Sam & Max Episodes, and you haven't played any of them. I almost want you to start with season 3, which I thought was the best, but the jokes build from season to season, so you can appreciate them more if you start at the beginning.
Wizorb - just to put something different.

Bonus: Watch Indie Game: The Movie. Then watch it again with Team Meat commentary. It's great.

Because of Borderlands 2's possible inclusion, I tried to keep my choices short, in case you've barely started B2. If you aren't planning to put that one in, I'd suggest Star Wars: Kotor. It's a great RPG, would be a good time sink.[/QUOTE]

Awesome picks! I am going to play Borderlands 2 also, maybe starting a mechromancer or continuing with my gunzerker. And if people are playing through Grimrock, I think I will play that, too. If I finish them all early, I might play KOTOR also, heh.

For your picks:
Mark of the Ninja -- Probably my favorite game of last year.
Cargo! The Quest for Gravity -- I have only played the beginning myself, but it seems totally trippy and cool.
Max Payne -- I played this ages ago on the XBox and totally loved it.

If any of those don't work out, Zeno Clash and/or Waking Mars can stand in.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Awesome picks! I am going to play Borderlands 2 also, maybe starting a mechromancer or continuing with my gunzerker. And if people are playing through Grimrock, I think I will play that, too. If I finish them all early, I might play KOTOR also, heh.

For your picks:
Mark of the Ninja -- Probably my favorite game of last year.
Cargo! The Quest for Gravity -- I have only played the beginning myself, but it seems totally trippy and cool.
Max Payne -- I played this ages ago on the XBox and totally loved it.

If any of those don't work out, Zeno Clash and/or Waking Mars can stand in.[/QUOTE]

Those are some great game picks. I had completely forgotten I owned Max Payne. The others were on my "I'll get to it eventually" list in the back of my head. I'm almost done with Borderlands 2, so I'll add Zeno Clash at the end as a bonus game for if I beat the other 4.

We should add the pairing and game selections to the OP like in Feb and maybe take down the list. I dont have time now cause I'm off to work, but if nobody has a chance before i get back I'll try to do it later on today

edit. So I added the two pairings that I know of, which is me and SLofton, and Jugglenaut and Dr Sasquatch. If I got any of the games wrong please change it, and if there other pairings feel free to add your pairing as well. Also is it cool if we take down the vote so we can clear it up a bit?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back