SimCity (2013) Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#31 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

I wasn't going to buy this at launch or the next day or the next week. I was going to hold off until it got a little bit cheaper. 60 bucks is too much to pay for a PC game. Now that I here all of the this brohaha about the servers, I am glad I waited. I think the always on platform was a good idea unless you had the server power to back it up. What was the reasons for the betas? Stress Tests? Unlikely after what has happened. I feel sorry for Ocean and Stone and the rest of Maxis for falling in the hole EA dug. I still want the game tho because it was very fun. Yet, I don't mind waiting until the game I love gets on its feet.

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#32 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

So yeah, started singleplayer game. Not even 3-4 mins in, game crashes to desktop. Try it again, same thing.

Fuck this.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#33 Myka

Myka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

Gave up trying to play today.

437134.png

#34 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

user score 2.9 journalist score 9.1

this is why I dont read website reviews. Waste of time other than to go look at pictures as there is no integrity contained within.

Oh and EA might have reclaimed its worst game company title back from Activision.
Posted Image

#35 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

this is why I dont read website reviews. Waste of time other than to go look at pictures as there is no integrity contained within.

Oh and EA might have reclaimed its worst game company title back from Activision.

Most "users" whine all to hell because they couldn't get on their server for a period of time, generally over 10 minutes. They then go and "break da balls" of the game via user reviews. Sure there are some bugs, but the game is no where near a 2.9. Hell to be honest before this Sim City I maybe have a total of 10 - 15 hours into all the others combined. This one I already have 10ish hours.

Though I am pissed. Just really got my city going with a bit over 100,000 pop. Meteor shower comes, GG's my whole city in the matter of 5 minutes. Oh and the water situation is annoying.
Asus P5W DH Deluxe / Core 2 Duo e6550 with Big Typhoon Cooler / Sapphire 3870 2x (the 2 in one) / 2x 2GB OCZ Reaper Memory / Sound Blaster Xtreme Gamer / 20x Lite-ON DVD Burner with Lightscribe / 400GB WD with Windows XP Home / 500 GB WD Green Power with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit / 700w OCZ PSU / Razer Diamondback Mouse / Zboard

Posted Image

#36 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Most "users" whine all to hell because they couldn't get on their server for a period of time, generally over 10 minutes. They then go and "break da balls" of the game via user reviews. Sure there are some bugs, but the game is no where near a 2.9. Hell to be honest before this Sim City I maybe have a total of 10 - 15 hours into all the others combined. This one I already have 10ish hours.

Though I am pissed. Just really got my city going with a bit over 100,000 pop. Meteor shower comes, GG's my whole city in the matter of 5 minutes. Oh and the water situation is annoying.

wait what? Online only drm with a single player game? Yeah I dont have to play the game to give it a 0.0.

Throw in the fact that you are limited to a tiny space to build your town as I wont even bother to call it a city as that would be misleading and I just dont have any interest. I have a ridiculous computer, the fact that you are limited on space probably due to server constraints is laughable.

Id like to think my 3930k with 16gb of quadchanneled 2133 ddr3 and a 7970GHZ could recreate Mexico City if I so chose at real scale with those graphics...

Instead we are left with Simville now with more facebook integration and microtransactions/dlc up the ass.

No thanks.
Posted Image

#37 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Metacritic is a bunch of people pissed off every time a PC port is either bad, always online DRM, or the game isn't exactly what *insert PC gamer here* wanted. Sure it's one thing to complain about the always on DRM, but from what I got from metacritic is people bitching that it's basically not a real life HD Sim City 4 with more buildings. I can't take their opinion seriously when most of them were just whining that Maxis tried something new instead of that HD Sim City port they wanted.

I mean critics are bad as well, but at least they will tell you both sides for the most part.

Does anyone know if game crashing is due to the servers being fucked, or is it my game itself?
Posted Image

#38 SCMoney360

SCMoney360

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

In all fairness, the game is out and customers can't play the game. To me, every crappy review score it gets, it deserves.

Personally, I love the game, when it works.

#39 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

wait what? Online only drm with a single player game? Yeah I dont have to play the game to give it a 0.0.

Throw in the fact that you are limited to a tiny space to build your town as I wont even bother to call it a city as that would be misleading and I just dont have any interest. I have a ridiculous computer, the fact that you are limited on space probably due to server constraints is laughable.

Id like to think my 3930k with 16gb of quadchanneled 2133 ddr3 and a 7970GHZ could recreate Mexico City if I so chose at real scale with those graphics...

Instead we are left with Simville now with more facebook integration and microtransactions/dlc up the ass.

No thanks.

First comment said it all, welcome to 2013. People will hate the online DRM yes, but in 5 years I'd bet most copies are no longer even in physical form. And always online single player? Servers went down mid-game for me yesterday, I kept playing with no issues. People giving 0.0's for never even playing because they don't like the option.

As for the cities, they already said they will be expanding the space. Sorry you didn't receive everything at launch :roll:

Microtransactions / dlc is pretty much a mute point too, it's here to stay and has been going on much longer than March 5, 2013.

Does anyone know if game crashing is due to the servers being fucked, or is it my game itself?

Crashing as in freezing the computer, going to desktop, or something else?

The game can be a pain due to server overloads, I give you that, but it's something that will plague every game that requires them. Why, because when you have a game you don't buy 5000 servers for the first week to just need 2000 within a couple more. That's just tossing money out the window.
Asus P5W DH Deluxe / Core 2 Duo e6550 with Big Typhoon Cooler / Sapphire 3870 2x (the 2 in one) / 2x 2GB OCZ Reaper Memory / Sound Blaster Xtreme Gamer / 20x Lite-ON DVD Burner with Lightscribe / 400GB WD with Windows XP Home / 500 GB WD Green Power with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit / 700w OCZ PSU / Razer Diamondback Mouse / Zboard

Posted Image

#40 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Crashing as in freezing the computer, going to desktop, or something else?

Going to the desktop. Start a city, 2-5 minutes later it was crashing to the desktop. Then I boot up the game all my city's progress is gone. I am assuming it's EA's servers?
Posted Image

#41 hecaitomix

hecaitomix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

i played 8am to 5pm yesterday, no problem.

hope all good today.

3DS friend code: Hecaitomix: 2380-3115-6693
Safari: Ground Type: Trapinch, Nincada, Gastrodon message me if you added me.
142265.png

#42 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

i played 8am to 5pm yesterday, no problem.

hope all good today.

I think it was down from about 6:30PM to 7:15PM Central or so last night.

#43 testisbest

testisbest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Any word on how things are today? Have the issues been resolved yet?

#44 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Any word on how things are today? Have the issues been resolved yet?

EA is rolling out server updates and both East Coast servers are down at the moment.

#45 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

I think they're patching them right now to resolve some issues ... they also added a couple more servers

Posted Image

#46 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Having to be connected to servers to play games not is making me consider getting out of gaming. Name on Origin is Shazo85 if anyone wants to join.
Posted Image

#47 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Servers are still down. I haven't been able to play this game more than 3 minutes, without crashing :cry:. I am just annoyed.
Posted Image

#48 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

Having to be connected to servers to play games not is making me consider getting out of gaming. Name on Origin is Shazo85 if anyone wants to join.

It's not making me consider getting out of gaming either, it is making it easier not to spend money on new games and instead playing my ridiculous backlog spanning multiple generations at this point.

#49 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

I wish there was a demo to see if my PC could run this or not.

#50 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

First comment said it all, welcome to 2013. People will hate the online DRM yes, but in 5 years I'd bet most copies are no longer even in physical form. And always online single player? Servers went down mid-game for me yesterday, I kept playing with no issues. People giving 0.0's for never even playing because they don't like the option.

As for the cities, they already said they will be expanding the space. Sorry you didn't receive everything at launch :roll:

Microtransactions / dlc is pretty much a mute point too, it's here to stay and has been going on much longer than March 5, 2013..

well you sure showed me... if my IQ was half what it actually is anyway.

What kind of logic is it that games are going that route now so lets all just accept it and be fine with it and just give them our money.

To that I say OH HELL NOES. First Diablo 3 is the last game I will ever buy that requires its single player game to be online for (lesson learned). Never again, I spend a Fton of money on games every year and if a publisher or developer wants go that route, they wont be getting anything from me. I have 3 lifetimes worth of games in my backlog in addition to any new cool games coming out. There are tons of games that dont make me feel like im being ****ed over in the process of buying them and playing them.

I dont care if the copies are in digital form... I have about 150 steam games and at least 25-40 Psn games brah. I prefer it that way actually, I cant think of any of them that require online that aren't multiplayer games. In other words I can play all the single player games in offline mode if I wanted to.

Lastly microtransactions and dlc? sure if they are done right. I buy dlc all the time if its done right (protip EA is probably the worst at dlc out there)

Take skyrim for example. I paid full price for Dawnguard and Dragonborn and skipped Hearthfire entirely because its not relevant to my interests.

If you look at EA's dlc for sports games its things that pretty much equate to cheat codes or other shit that basically should have been included in the game in the first place. If you are telling me that I have to pay more money to build a bigger city in Sim City in a future dlc like thats reasonable, rational or even conscionable then I will just LOL and play something else and not give it another thought, which is precisely what im going to do.
Posted Image

#51 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

TLDR version

Im not going to grab my ankles and say here EA take whatever you want.

Thats the bottom line...

if you dont think you are being outrageously taken advantage of thats your opinion.
Posted Image

#52 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

TLDR version

Im not going to grab my ankles and say here EA take whatever you want.

Thats the bottom line...

if you dont think you are being outrageously taken advantage of thats your opinion.

And if you think you are being outrageously taken advantage of that's your opinion as well.

Facts are facts though, as the internet age grows so does this whole online always thing. Cloud type services are becoming more and more common now. When Steam first came out what did you say, "OH HELL NOES" right, Fuck digital copies I want physical. I know I did. Now I have over 200 games in Steam games alone, never mind the other platforms I use.

Are more companies going this online only route, yes. The point still stands though, in 5 years I would put money on the majority of companies going this way.

No one said that to expand the city would cost money, I believe that they said they are looking to patch that

Anyways ... I'm loving sandbox mode for practice. I'm trying to figure out how to keep congestion in the streets down. I'm was watching a city earlier with about 200,000 pop and next to no traffic. He had an ass load of public transport I'm wondering if I just have to add more.

And yes, that is when I can actually play :D

Posted Image

#53 LlamaNinja

LlamaNinja

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

LlamaNinja is my name on Origin I am on at nights and the weekends
Posted Image

#54 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

I have barely gotten to play this game since yesterday. Also, I can't seem to connect, stuck at authenticating with SimCity servers.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

Plenty of devs and publisher not going that route to choose from.

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#56 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

I like what I have played so far. I probably have gotten to play maybe a hour with 4 crashes on 4 different cities.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

I like what I have played so far. I probably have gotten to play maybe a hour with 4 crashes on 4 different cities.

Wow. That makes NO SENSE to me.

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#58 LlamaNinja

LlamaNinja

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

Wow. That makes NO SENSE to me.

He is saying he likes the gameplay but hates the server crashes. Honestly I probably wont buy another online only game because of this crap for a long time as this is a lesson. Bonus is I got 20 on amazon for getting it now.
Posted Image

#59 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

So glad I didn't purchase this POS. Reminds me of the Diablo 3 launch but with added crashes.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#60 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

I finally got to play for awhile, I got a city to 100,000 citizens and my game crashed when a tornado showed up.
Posted ImagePosted Image