• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#151 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Stick with SimCity 4.

I hear that everywhere I go on the internet. Only people who talk about Simcity 4 in 2013 are people who loved Simcity 4 in 2003 and kept playing it. I have been playing Simcity since the beginning, let me tell you something. It is a hard game. Hell, Will Wright says he hasn't enjoyed a Sim City for a while. First time, they made one that kinda works. When they told me everything is connected to roads, I was like finally makes sense. No separate pipe network and power lines, everything under roads. I know they screwed the launch, Sims AI is comical at best (mind-numbing at worst), traffic is a mess, always on DRM, etc, etc. Don't want the game, don't buy it. If you have the game and don't like what you bought, email the crap out EA and Maxis about it. If you love Simcity 4, play it and shut up about it, because Joe Schmo Public won't buy Simcity because they don't really no much about it unless it is on Jimmy Fallon or Ellen and Max Hardware with his gamer build aint going to play a 10 year old game. Deal with it.

*drops mic*

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#152 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

For those who are skeptical about SEH's comment, a recent Ars Technica article summarizes the issues fairly well.

One thing that's being overlooked is that "almost completely fixed" servers (from the AT article) might be overstating it a bit. They increased the number of servers, but they also gimped parts of the game to ease up on the server load. EA/Maxis made quite a mess with this one.

they only took out leaderboards and cheatta speed mode two things most people don't care about. People are saying they want it to be single player then why do you care about leaderboards?

#153 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

I hear that everywhere I go on the internet. Only people who talk about Simcity 4 in 2013 are people who loved Simcity 4 in 2003 and kept playing it. I have been playing Simcity since the beginning, let me tell you something. It is a hard game. Hell, Will Wright says he hasn't enjoyed a Sim City for a while. First time, they made one that kinda works. When they told me everything is connected to roads, I was like finally makes sense. No separate pipe network and power lines, everything under roads. I know they screwed the launch, Sims AI is comical at best (mind-numbing at worst), traffic is a mess, always on DRM, etc, etc. Don't want the game, don't buy it. If you have the game and don't like what you bought, email the crap out EA and Maxis about it. If you love Simcity 4, play it and shut up about it, because Joe Schmo Public won't buy Simcity because they don't really no much about it unless it is on Jimmy Fallon or Ellen and Max Hardware with his gamer build aint going to play a 10 year old game. Deal with it.

*drops mic*

So I can't make a recommendation to the guy, but you can go on some wild tirade?

Eat my ass. You can use a spoon if you'd like.
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#154 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

So I can't make a recommendation to the guy, but you can go on some wild tirade?

You have the freedom to make a recommendation for a game that he doesn't want. I have the freedom to make a wild tirade about it. Welcome to the Internet.

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#155 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Meh I'm still enjoying the game. There's a few things I'm having issues with but none are actually stopping me from playing, it's more of I wish this was in the game type of thing

Most of the reviews are due to server stability and slowly placing in content that was originally offered. I remember another game that the same thing had happened. I believe it was called World of Warcraft

Edited by strikeratt, 16 March 2013 - 06:15 PM.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe / Core 2 Duo e6550 with Big Typhoon Cooler / Sapphire 3870 2x (the 2 in one) / 2x 2GB OCZ Reaper Memory / Sound Blaster Xtreme Gamer / 20x Lite-ON DVD Burner with Lightscribe / 400GB WD with Windows XP Home / 500 GB WD Green Power with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit / 700w OCZ PSU / Razer Diamondback Mouse / Zboard

Posted Image

#156 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

So there is this Target ad on CAG starting on the 24 with Simcity for 39.99. Is this a sale or a price drop. If a price drop, any takers? I might buy

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#157 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

More than likely a sale to get people passed all the reviews. Game has it's issues that would be nice to be changed around, ie bigger maps which are suppose to come in the future and a few other little things. Other than that if you're into the whole SimCity thing I think you'll like it
Asus P5W DH Deluxe / Core 2 Duo e6550 with Big Typhoon Cooler / Sapphire 3870 2x (the 2 in one) / 2x 2GB OCZ Reaper Memory / Sound Blaster Xtreme Gamer / 20x Lite-ON DVD Burner with Lightscribe / 400GB WD with Windows XP Home / 500 GB WD Green Power with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit / 700w OCZ PSU / Razer Diamondback Mouse / Zboard

Posted Image

#158 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

More than likely a sale to get people passed all the reviews. Game has it's issues that would be nice to be changed around, ie bigger maps which are suppose to come in the future and a few other little things. Other than that if you're into the whole SimCity thing I think you'll like it

Yeah, I loved the beta. Can't wait to play when the dust settles and servers are a bit stronger. I didn't mind the same size of cites but I hope the multicity play, works better with updates. I won't put it pass them for a price drop, to ease the bad press and because it is EA style. Games are dropping like crazy after mere weeks of launch. It is good to be late to the party sometimes. Now if only Ni No Kuni would drop....

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#159 smitherton

smitherton

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Now that I have been playing the game for a little bit, I'm going to throw my 2 cents into the ring.

The DRM however it is intended to use doesnt work properly. Synching cities together works in a poor standard at best. But in reality thats not the biggest issue with the game.

Its easy to enjoy seeing the graphics and watching things grow for the first hour or so. In fact its what most pre release reviews of the game saw. They were amazed at the "surface" of the game. But once you start digging into the game the real issue is within the details.

Some of the issues...
*as previously mentioned cities dont save to the cloud and are "rolled back" or removed completely.
*traffic plays follow the leader using shortest path only for the same target point.
*sims might live in a level 1 house one day, go to the closest job, and go back home to a level 3 house the next.
*resources do not go to their intended targets. either a truck doesnt pick up the materials or the truck is stuck in traffic.
*the population is scaled on a bell curve.
*for those that arent firmiliar with how previous games work, it is divided into 3 categories, residential, commercial, and industry. (sims have places to live, shop, and work) The most successful cities developed so far are 100% residential only. Meaning no C or I is placed on the map.
*rain is so scarce, that if your plot of land isnt connected to the river your underground city water will dry up. (there is of all things another bug that can bypass this.)

That is just some of the list right off the top of my head.

Now for the good....

ALL of this can get fixed over time. However a bug here or there is basically in every game now. This on the other hand is beyond comprehension. Ive played every simcity since SNES, and have loved games all my life, but I have yet to see a game this incomplete be green lighted for launch from a company as big as this.

#160 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

EA released the "free" game selection for people who bought the game. I am surprised, because EA actually has a decent selection here of new games. I will be getting Dead Space 3 myself because it's the only one besides MOH:Warfighter I haven't played. Also with the $20 Amazon Credit and the free copy of Dead Space 3, that $60 I paid for it is not horrible anymore :D.

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#161 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, not a terrible selection.

Oh, and there's this.

http://www.cinemable...blic-53739.html

Remember how it wouldn't be possible for Maxis to make the game playable offline or that they'd have to put in a ton of work to do so? Yeah, ONE guy figured out how to do it. Remove two simple lines of code and surprise, you can play offline. Granted, you cant save offline at the moment, but it's apparently not that hard to make it work, so I'd imagine that's currently being worked on.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#162 wageslave

wageslave

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

I already gave ME3, so which would be the best single player experience and bang for the buck out of Battlefield 3, Dead Space 3, Medal of Honor, and Need for speed? Heck, do Battlefield 3 and MoH even have single player campaigns?

EA released the "free" game selection for people who bought the game. I am surprised, because EA actually has a decent selection here of new games. I will be getting Dead Space 3 myself because it's the only one besides MOH:Warfighter I haven't played. Also with the $20 Amazon Credit and the free copy of Dead Space 3, that $60 I paid for it is not horrible anymore :D.

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

Tier Pargon Pargon Redgormor Pargon Pargon Mantorok

#163 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

The new MOH is awful and BF3's single player is pretty bad as well. I haven't played Dead Space 3, but the first two were awesome games, so Dead Space 3 is probably a safe bet.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#164 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

lol at sims 4 de being a choice

#165 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'll either get Dead Space 3 (newest game, and haven't played it), or Mass Effect 3.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#166 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

WOW. I was wondering what I would be able to pick from and for me that list sucks. I have them already or don't want them. I guess it is down to Mass Effect 3 so I can have it for the PC or Dead Space 3.

As for SimCity, I now believe that this game was intended for multi player. Seems like every time I build a city it all goes to shit later on. I just ran out of water for the city I have so I had to start another city just to send water to my bigger city. I am now also losing money every hour. I think i'm -11k to -20k and I only have 50k left till I'm out of money. I'm selling power and police to other cities now and even with exports the city might not last. Just yesterday I had 800k and was getting about 6k an hour. This all started when I ran out of water and every building caught on fire. Looks like I will just have to let the city go and destroy everything but the power plant and save money in my other cities to send to it to start it back up.
Posted Image

#167 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

WOW. I was wondering what I would be able to pick from and for me that list sucks. I have them already or don't want them. I guess it is down to Mass Effect 3 so I can have it for the PC or Dead Space 3.

As for SimCity, I now believe that this game was intended for multi player. Seems like every time I build a city it all goes to shit later on. I just ran out of water for the city I have so I had to start another city just to send water to my bigger city. I am now also losing money every hour. I think i'm -11k to -20k and I only have 50k left till I'm out of money. I'm selling power and police to other cities now and even with exports the city might not last. Just yesterday I had 800k and was getting about 6k an hour. This all started when I ran out of water and every building caught on fire. Looks like I will just have to let the city go and destroy everything but the power plant and save money in my other cities to send to it to start it back up.

for me seems like citie is great and going well till you get to a certain size. Seems like once population gets to around 50- 60 k you lose tons and tons of money and more and more people cry about taxes and what not.

#168 Solid Kilvas

Solid Kilvas

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Got my free game popup. I picked up SimCity LE for $47 and got Dead Space 3 for free, I'm rather happy with the situation.

Add me on Origin for SimCity or Dead Space 3; "SolidKilvas".
Posted Image

#169 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

Build a sewage treatment plant.next to a water treatment plant. Don't forget to replace the regular pump with a filtered one. It replenished the water table. Oh and trade makes bank.

Posted Image

#170 AzGoat

AzGoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

I was thinking of getting sim city and not sure if i would enjoy it or not? Its been many many years since i played sim city. One reason why i am looking to try this is i have been looking to getting into gaming on the pc. I have a SVE14118FXW and the

Product Description

Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz (up to 3.10GHz w/Turbo Boost)
8192MB RAM (8192MB Max)
750GB HDD (5400rpm)
Gigabit Ethernet Bluetooth Built-In 1.3MP Webcam & Microphone
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Windows 7 Home Premium

Now i new to this type of gaming and wanted to know if my laptop can handle this game? all your help will be great and thanks in advance.

#171 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

I was thinking of getting sim city and not sure if i would enjoy it or not? Its been many many years since i played sim city. One reason why i am looking to try this is i have been looking to getting into gaming on the pc. I have a SVE14118FXW and the

Product Description

Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz (up to 3.10GHz w/Turbo Boost)
8192MB RAM (8192MB Max)
750GB HDD (5400rpm)
Gigabit Ethernet Bluetooth Built-In 1.3MP Webcam & Microphone
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Windows 7 Home Premium

Now i new to this type of gaming and wanted to know if my laptop can handle this game? all your help will be great and thanks in advance.

It seems like your graphics are integrated, not dedicated. Integrated graphics are built into the motherboard itself. Dedicated are separate graphics and allowing the CPUs and other components to run, increasing game performance. Now, are you planning to game on the go? If not, build a desktop, don't buy a gaming one. You will come out a lot cheaper in the long run. I mean, you can play it with no problem on your current laptop but you will have to lower the settings.

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#172 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Build a sewage treatment plant.next to a water treatment plant. Don't forget to replace the regular pump with a filtered one. It replenished the water table. Oh and trade makes bank.

Thanks. I guess I have to start a new city and try this. My current one is to far in debt to move things and even try to get it out of debt now.

Any other tips? Maybe we could have the OP updated with tips like this for players that don't know this stuff or new players.
Posted Image

#173 SEH

SEH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

The saga continues:

http://consumerist.c...refund-request/

EA really is a piece of shit. Just contacting Amazon for any reason whatsoever is grounds to get your account banned? Unreal. This smells of a lawsuit.

EDIT

Oh, and there's this. People wonder why I refuse to install Origin.

http://www.polygon.c...users-computers

Edited by SEH, 19 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#174 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

how can a company ban someone from a game just because they request a refund. What happens if they did not open the game an wanted to send it back for refund but down the line want to ge the game again. I know if i was banned for that reason i would take that companys behind to court.

#175 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

i don't mind origin only game i use it for is battfield 3 because in my mind it's the best fps and only one i play. Well of course now sim city.

#176 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

EDIT

Oh, and there's this. People wonder why I refuse to install Origin.

http://www.polygon.c...users-computers

Same type of exploit works on Steam as well, hope you don't have that installed either..

Solution for both is to just pay attention to what websites and links you're going to and not be an idiot.

#177 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Same type of exploit works on Steam as well, hope you don't have that installed either..

Solution for both is to just pay attention to what websites and links you're going to and not be an idiot.

Seconded

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#178 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

The Origin banning is obviously a kneejerk reaction to the launch. They can't enforce those, they'll get around to sending out an apology with an explanation about how overwhelmed they were at the launch and how customer support got confused in it all. I'm not defending it, it's just how it works online with refunds, it's messy even in the best-case scenario.

Plus, it's likely many of those demanding refunds will get tired of waiting on a response and wind up installing the game, anyhow. EA will drag their feet on it...again, I'm certainly not defending it, just pointing out that you can get away with a lot in online commerce.

The much, much bigger problem here is the game itself, the bullshit justification for online play, the eagerness to ignore the desires of a very dedicated SimCity fan base (i.e. the customer). The launch isn't in that list of big issues anymore, even though it's inexcusable how they ignored pre-orders, whatever was learned in the beta, and the D3 experience.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#179 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

The Origin banning is obviously a kneejerk reaction to the launch. They can't enforce those, they'll get around to sending out an apology with an explanation about how overwhelmed they were at the launch and how customer support got confused in it all. I'm not defending it, it's just how it works online with refunds, it's messy even in the best-case scenario.

Plus, it's likely many of those demanding refunds will get tired of waiting on a response and wind up installing the game, anyhow. EA will drag their feet on it...again, I'm certainly not defending it, just pointing out that you can get away with a lot in online commerce.

The much, much bigger problem here is the game itself, the bullshit justification for online play, the eagerness to ignore the desires of a very dedicated SimCity fan base (i.e. the customer). The launch isn't in that list of big issues anymore, even though it's inexcusable how they ignored pre-orders, whatever was learned in the beta, and the D3 experience.

I'm curious of how, besides the online play, that the fan base is being ignored. Could it be the added servers to bring more stable gameplay? Perhaps the free game that they gave customers just because they couldn't play for the first 4 days. Or maybe it's the gameplay problems they're in the process of cleaning up because the fan base complained about that.

Haha who on this thread actually owns the game and who is here just to complain about a product they haven't even tried ... nevermind bought.

Anyways, I agree on the tips section. Another one could be that Avenues aren't always the best choice to making a dense city, they are wider than the normal streets

Posted Image

#180 AzGoat

AzGoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

It seems like your graphics are integrated, not dedicated. Integrated graphics are built into the motherboard itself. Dedicated are separate graphics and allowing the CPUs and other components to run, increasing game performance. Now, are you planning to game on the go? If not, build a desktop, don't buy a gaming one. You will come out a lot cheaper in the long run. I mean, you can play it with no problem on your current laptop but you will have to lower the settings.

Yeah i plan on gaming on the go only because with school i have a time where i can game a few times a week between classes.